1.59%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Virtual Console vs. XBox Live vs. Playstation Network

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Virtual Console vs. XBox Live vs. Playstation Network

EGM a couple months ago did a comparison between the 3, so I thought one would be worthy here. I'm pretty sure this will be a two horse race between VC and XBL, but between the 3, which one do you prefer? I think all have some great features as well as some annoyances.

Some notes per Wikipedia:
As of October 22, 2007, there are 160 Virtual Console titles available, with the list growing weekly as per the above.

As of October 24, 2007, there have been 95 titles released for Xbox Live Arcade on the Xbox 360.

I counted about 60 games from Wikipedia's site here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Network_games

XBox Live and Playstation Network also include a lot of other features and downloads, such as game demos, videos, movie trailers, etc. which add value to their services. I was debating whether or not these should be factored in since they're so entwined with the rest of the service. It's hard to mention online play without thinking of friends lists and leaderboards. Not to mention XBL and PSN having demos of games available. This in turn would also include the Wii channels. I guess factoring their worth is up to you.

For me, some pros and cons of each -

Virtual Console
Pros:
-Variety of Console Support
-Sheer number of games available
-Number of games per week
-Quality of Games

Cons:
-No original content
-Pricing
-Lack of additional features

XBox Live Arcade
Pros:
-Original Content
-Demos of every game
-Online play
-Leaderboards
-Achievements

Cons:
-Pricing
-Release Schedule
-Micro Transactions

Playstation Store
Pros:
-Original Content
-Game Demos
-"Full" games available for download like Warhawk
-PSOne and PSP Games

Cons:
-Lack of content
-Aren't demos for some games

What do you guys think? For me, XBox is winning out since i'm not much of a retro gamer other then some of the classics like your typical Legend of Zelda or Mario Bros games.

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-24-07 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
VC: I love my retro games
Old 10-24-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a Wii and I really like the VC. Prices is kind of a problem as a lot of these games I want to download but I only would play a handful of times. Such as Waverace, I bought that, played it a little bit and probably won't touch it again for a long time but I paid $10 for it. And I'll probably never see Goldeneye

I've had experience with the Playstation one. I believe you can download game updates such as roster updates for sports games, right? The PS3 games you can download are pretty cool too, such as Tekken 49082. Also cool to download PS1 games and since I was a PS guy up until this generation I'd rather be able to download games such as Metal Gear Solid, FFVII and Crash Bandicoot then many N64 games. I didn't get a chance to really go through their catalog though so I don't really know whats available.
Old 10-24-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I only have experience with Wii VC, but I still think Xbox Live is the best. When Wiiware (original downloadable games) comes, that may change though, because then you have orig. content and Nintendo's catalog.

Of course, it probably still couldn't compete with Xbox's online multiplayer.
Old 10-24-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
XBLA all the way.
Old 10-24-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XBLA. A lot of the same games, only cheaper.
Old 10-24-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nintendo's back catalog has no competition in any market.

Add Sega's back catalog and
Old 10-24-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd rate XBLA ahead of VC because it's offering something new to me. There are original games on there, some of which are pretty damn cool, and the old games all have at least have some level of new features (some not so good, some good).

For VC, well I can see anyone who hasn't touched those classic games since they came out would be interested. But I've been playing classic games regularly on old systems and emulators for the last 10 years, so having the option to pay $8-10 for pretty much the same thing on VC is not so interesting.

Actually WiiWare titles, once they come out, would be more comparable to the original games on XBLA and will make the Wii more compelling.
Old 10-24-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chess
Nintendo's back catalog has no competition in any market.

Add Sega's back catalog and

I love Catan and Symphony of the Night and Bomberman live, but the Wii VC is retro gaming heaven.
Old 10-24-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the VC. I've spent probably as much on VC games as I have on XBLA games, but I think they're a bit pricey. That and the online play (co-op and versus), the leaderboards, and the achievements put the XBLA over the top of the VC for me.
Old 10-24-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't forget that Wii Ware will be launching very soon.

Virtual Console + Wii Ware > than everything else!
Old 10-24-07, 10:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
XBLA. The original content pushes it over the edge for me.
Old 10-24-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
XBLA for one reason. Demos. I love me some classic games on the VC, but I've stuck to buying games I've already played back in the day. Dropping $10 bones on a blind buy like Sin & Punishment sucks balls.

As for PSN, same problem. I'd love to try out Everyday Shooter, Flow, and some of the others, but wait, no demos. Fail.

XBLA for the win.
Old 10-24-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
XBLA
PSN
Wii Virtual Console

The idea of the Virtual Console is great but the simple matter of fact is that it has no original games. None. Zip. Zilch. And while PSN and XBLA both have older games, they have original content and ultimately that's what makes stuff exciting. You can only replay Donkey Kong Country so much.
Old 10-25-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I haven't been asked to make a choice this easy since the 2004 Presidential election. This time, it looks like the rest of the people have seen the light as well, though.

XBLA all the way.
Old 10-25-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
XBLA:
Demos
New and old games
Leaderboards

VC is fine too, but demos would make it far better. VC might have more games, but it has a much higher percentage of crap. Also, this doesn't factor into my ratings, but I must still say that the channel interface sucks.
Old 10-25-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As mentioned, demos makes it a one horse race.
Old 10-25-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't make an educated vote as I only have a 360, but XBLA is pretty fucking awesome.

I'm sure that the other services will add demos eventually. That's too obvious a thing not to have.
Old 10-25-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

XBLA wins hands down right now because of the original content. However, I think that once Wii Ware takes off it might have a good chance to surpass XBLA in that area given that it will have much more robust Japanese support. We're likely to see more things like Pac-Man: CE on Wii Ware than stuff like Yaris and Battlestar Galatica.
Old 10-25-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

XBLA > PSN > VC

VC's roms are all overpriced with no enhancement/leaderboard/online. What a complete waste.

PSN have a few good games, but most don't have demos.

XBLA have tons of original and truly classic games and demos for every game means you can always try before you buy. It is really no contest.
Old 10-25-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lastblade
XBLA > PSN > VC

VC's roms are all overpriced with no enhancement/leaderboard/online. What a complete waste.
I keep hearing comments like this, but I couldn't care less about leaderboards or achievements. Seriously. I couldn't care less about my e-phallic...err..gamerscore. Online play is nice (gotta love 8 player online Bomberman) but not needed for fantastic single player games which the VC has in droves.

The only negative with the Wii VC games is the lack of demos.

Regardless, I'd still take Super Mario World, Gunstar Heroes, Star Fox 64, Zelda: LTTP, etc over the release list on the other services.
Old 10-25-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've seen all 3, and I'd have to give a light edge to VC over XBL, just because there was more retro content I liked.

I spent about 20 hours over one week's time playing that damn NES baseball.
Old 10-25-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I keep hearing comments like this, but I couldn't care less about leaderboards or achievements. Seriously. I couldn't care less about my e-phallic...err..gamerscore. Online play is nice (gotta love 8 player online Bomberman) but not needed for fantastic single player games which the VC has in droves.

The only negative with the Wii VC games is the lack of demos.

Regardless, I'd still take Super Mario World, Gunstar Heroes, Star Fox 64, Zelda: LTTP, etc over the release list on the other services.
Why does achievements = ephallic?

I like them, they actually keep me interested and playing more of a game that I normally would.
Old 10-25-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Why does achievements = ephallic?

I like them, they actually keep me interested and playing more of a game that I normally would.
Why?

What's fun about killing a million zombies or trying on every outfit in Dead Rising? Or wandering around looking in corners for Cog tags in Gears?

I can see it maybe for the arcade games that have nothing but scores and never end...but I thought the score was the achievement?

I know people like them. I've just never really understood it.
Old 10-25-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I don't understand the hype of the VC. These are old, poor graphic games from forever ago. At least with XBLA there are arcade games like Pac Man, Galaga, defender, etc... They even have a new version of PacMan. How popular would XBL be if all the had were Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 games? My guess is not too popular. I have to hand it to the Nintendo (Wii) crowd though...when they say graphics aren't important, they must really mean it if they are buying VC games. I know, start throwing the tomatoes at me while you yell "A game doen't have to be in HD to be fun/good", lol.

My opinion-It's like buying a pet rock instead of an iPhone.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 10-25-07 at 06:26 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.