Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii....One year later

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A complete bust for me too. I didn't care for Zelda or Metroid, so that's my fault. But I was hoping for some compelling 3rd party game, and none that I see justify even a $30 price tag. Basically, the Wii's library is filled with mini-games (mostly crap) and throwaway ports of last generation. The only original titles that are any good come from Nintendo themselves.

But as a gamecube replacement, it is not bad.
Old 10-25-07, 10:35 AM

wasted money on it collects dust

PS3 gets all the play
Old 10-25-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love it. My only regret is getting Madden 08, but that's because EA really f'd up on that game for the Wii. The system is much more fun when others play with me, but I love it on my own. I've run through RE4 three times because it's just so fun on the Wii.

Looking forward to getting: Mario Galaxy, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, Game Party, Lego Star Wars, and Super Smash Brothers (or whatever its called).
Old 10-25-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Wii! It is more than I expected it to be, and I know the types of games I like, so, those are the games I buy. It hasn't gotten as much play from me, recently, but, I know that it will be getting a great deal of play once Super Mario Galaxy is released. Then, there's Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, and so many other games coming up, that I know I will not be turning it off much at all. Could it have had a better year? Sure. The lazy third party developers, who saw that the Wii was selling like hotcakes, jumped on the bandwagon, and put out sloppy ports, and games that didn't require much attention. However, now that developers have had more time with it, I expect Wii's second year is going to completely blow away it's first year.

Those of you saying that the Wii is a bust for you....that's too bad. Wii is the best system Nintendo has ever put out. Not only does it offer games from Nintendo's huge library for the NES, Super NES, N64 and GameCube, but, it also has games for other systems available through the Virtual Console. Plus, all of the great Wii games to come.

The real bust of all three systems is the Sony PS3. I know that there are going to be the Sony fanboys that cry foul, but, it's only because they know it's true. So what if it has "better looking graphics". That does nothing for me, if the gameplay sucks. Gameplay is where it's at, and nobody does it better than Nintendo!
Old 10-25-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, having all 3 systems plus a DS, its really hard to focus on playing games... Still havent finished Zelda and Metroid sits unopened waiting to play. I still do enjoy it, just wish I had more time to get through everything.
Old 10-25-07, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I don't use mine very much, I'm glad I have it, but the 360 gets most of my gaming time.

My roommates PS3 and the Wii go unused most of the time.
Old 10-25-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This has been a poor year for the WII but pretty good compared to other systems. The future is looking rather bright. I'd say it has the brightest future amongst the big 3.

The weakness is mostly in nintedo doing stupid things but far less stupid than sony. For example there friend code system stinks and does nothing to protect children. They could have easily taken over the xbox community if they had a system that made sense. They also should have included dvd playback since it would have cost less than a dollar to include but that is very minor issue.

The big things they did right was to include wifi and having a low cost system. Not everyone wants a system that will be the center of their media universe. They also put out a few good games though I hate the new zelda that game sold many systems. Wii Sports and the other mini game gmaes also sold a lot of systems to people that are nor normal game buyers.
Old 10-25-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I got mine in May and I'm still loving it. I got Godfather when I bought it, along with Hulk Ultimate Destruction, Simpsons Road Rage and Animal Crossing (for my girlfriend).

I've beat Godfather and I'm working on RE4 right now. Once I've beat that, I'll probably get Super Mario Galaxy. I'll probably also pick up a few more Gamecube games once I've beaten Hulk and Simpsons.

I also bought Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World and Kirby for VC, but haven't played them as much.
Old 10-25-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
A bust for me too. Me and my roommate both purchased one 2 weeks after launch before anyone realized they would be that crazy difficult to find. I ended up selling mine since we didn't need too. The Wii got a lot of play the first couple months, with Wii Sports being so new and fascinating due to the controls. Not to mention the fun with groups of people and games like Wii Ware.

The last 6 months? Pretty much hasn't been touched. We load up Wii Sports every now and then, and have checked out some of the channels. But other then that, gaming wise the 360 gets more play thanks to Puzzle Fighter and Bomberman, not to mention Madden and Bioshock. The Smash Bros delay pretty much assures that the Wii still probably won't get used a whole lot.
Old 10-25-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I actually forget when I bought mine. Around May if I remember correctly. I think if anyone watched my life as a TV show, they would say it was a bust for me. I don't think it was a bust, yet.

I haven't played it in about 3 weeks. To me, it is a multiplayer system to have some fun with your friends, but it is not some revolutionary console like some people think it is.

I haven't found one game that makes me wish I had more time to play it.

Wii Sports - Fun in the beginning, great with some people over, but gets old quick. Once you get past the newness of it, you wish there was somewhat better gameplay and a little deeper.

Raven Rabid Rabbits or whatever its called - Probably the most fun of all the games I have but nothing that screams play me.

Carnival Games - Pretty boring

Godfather - Sitting on the shelf unopened

Some Golf Game (Swing Away maybe?) - Bought it when I bought the system and it never really grabbed me like Hot Shots Golf did for PS2.

My dog has been punched in the head a few times and a buddy of mine busted a knuckle on the coffee table so I guess its been good for a few laughs.

PS3 gets my single player time.
Old 10-25-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Total bust for me. It's the most expensive paperweight I own. Hopefully, Mario Galaxy will change that.
Old 10-25-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
after one year at work of people still calling me everyday asking "Do you have any Wii's". I still don't understand its appeal. I am sorry but Nintendo only makes games for children, and thats the only market they seem to care about, and its not even a next generation system compared to the capabilities of the PS3 or 360. I bought my PS3 about a month ago and love playing the new ps3 games on it.
Old 10-25-07, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I keep playing Wii Sports. I beat Zelda and playing MP3 currently, but other than that there hasn't been any other compelling games for me.
Old 10-25-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSpacey
My dog has been punched in the head a few times and a buddy of mine busted a knuckle on the coffee table so I guess its been good for a few laughs.
Old 10-25-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
The real bust of all three systems is the Sony PS3. I know that there are going to be the Sony fanboys that cry foul, but, it's only because they know it's true. So what if it has "better looking graphics". That does nothing for me, if the gameplay sucks. Gameplay is where it's at, and nobody does it better than Nintendo!
First off, I'm not a Sony fanboy. I own all 3 systems, as well as the 3 last gen systems, and even a DS & Gameboy Advance. Sony may not have the gaming aspect down yet, but even being used exclusively as a BR player, it still gets about 8x the use of the Wii, and I have a 5 & 7 year old. I'm all about the 360 with it's great library, achievements, XBLA, and DL content. The controller is awesome as well, and I even watch HD DVD's on it. If the 360 lacks one thing that my other two consoles have----WiFi. No biggie.
Old 10-25-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
First off, I'm not a Sony fanboy. I own all 3 systems, as well as the 3 last gen systems, and even a DS & Gameboy Advance. Sony may not have the gaming aspect down yet, but even being used exclusively as a BR player, it still gets about 8x the use of the Wii, and I have a 5 & 7 year old. I'm all about the 360 with it's great library, achievements, XBLA, and DL content. The controller is awesome as well, and I even watch HD DVD's on it. If the 360 lacks one thing that my other two consoles have----WiFi. No biggie.
Agree completely. The only bad thing about 360 is the quality control issues. RROD is really the only thing holding the system back. Everyone I know who plays games online play the 360.
Old 10-25-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

- He's 80lbs and it doesnt even effect him....
Old 10-25-07, 03:42 PM

I got my Wii around March. I played the heck out of Wii Sports and Zelda, until my son deleted my saved Zelda game. I didn't have the desire to start over so it hasn't been played in probably 6 months.

I have the following games:
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Zelda
Excite Truck
Wario Smooth Moves
Paper Mario
Tiger Woods
My Sims

About the only thing that gets played right now is my daughter playing My Sims and only because she just bought it. Other than that, it collects dust. Most of my gaming purchases lately have been for the 360. Other than Wii sports, nothing about the system really impressed me. Maybe I had higher hopes for use of the controller, but most of the games I've played the controller functionality seems to be tacked on and not really thought about. Tiger Woods had potential but was so inconsistent in swings, I couldn't play it anymore.
Old 10-25-07, 03:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got ahold of line on Black Friday last year. Initially I loved Zelda, barely played Wii Sports (since most of my 'party gaming' is at my friend's house). I picked up Wario Ware in January, and the system went unused for months until Resident Evil 4 and Metroid Prime 3 came out.

My take now... Zelda seems a bit gimmicky now, and I think while the Wiimote makes using the crossbow and grappling hook fun, it doesn't quite mesh with the other aspects well. This is especially obvious after playing RE4 and MP3, which feel much more natural in the immersion.

Oh, and I also picked up the Harry Potter game on Wii for the wand control, but after playing it for a few days a wish I'd picked it up on 360 instead because the wand action isn't as responsive as I'd hoped and just makes the game more frustrating. And it doesn't really mesh with the gameplay either IMO.

Which makes me think the problem is I'm enjoying the Wiimote play much more for the first-person and over-the-shoulder games than the third-person ones.

Last edited by DRG; 10-25-07 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-25-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only had my Wii for a couple months so far. I have:

Wii Sports
Zelda Twilight Princess
Rayman Raving Rabbids
Resident Evil 4
The Godfather
Red Steel
Sonic and the Secret Rings

So far I've only played through Zelda and Rayman, both of which I enjoyed, plus Wii Sports anytime anyone comes over.

I haven't had it long enough to give a "year later" review, but I still enjoy the Wii a lot, and still believe in the philosophy behind the Wii. I think the in between phase from launch to this holiday season has really made a lot of people question the system, but I think it's only going to get better as more developers jump on board andthey put more time and resources into the game. I think we are starting to see the transition from gimmicky uses of the Wiimote to games that are really much better experiences because of the Wiimote (like Metroid Prime 3 and Zack and Wiki).

I think we have seen quite a few games that use the Wiimote in unique or fun ways (Wii Sports, Rayman Raving Rabbids), use the Wiimote to enhance the experience (The Godfather and sports games like MLB power pros from what I have read), or improve on dual analog controls (Metroid Prime 3 and Resident Evil 4 from what I have read).

I think one reason I am not so down on the Wii, is I think I'm the only one who enjoys mini-games. I like quick ,experimental, but fun and interesting uses of the Wiimote. Mini-games are designed for gameplay first, rather than trying to somehow fit gameplay into the "epic story".
Old 10-25-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Hey I'm a mini-game fiend also

The Wii goes unused (I have about 7 games) while the XBOX (1 game, 20+ XBLA) gets all the gaming. I pretty much just do XBLA.
Old 10-25-07, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of those saying your Wii goes unused....shame on you!

Sell your Wii's to people more deserving! There's no reason that you shouldn't be playing Wii. For shame!
Old 10-25-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Let me ask you all something, do you feel the Wii has allowed new forms of gameplay, or are they the same games controlled by flailing your arms around? What potential is there for the former?
Definitely new forms. At least for some games, not all. The fps stuff has potential--RE4 on the Wii is much better (control-wise) than on other consoles imo. Aiming and shooting is much better than "moving cursor and shooting."

Minigames on WarioWare are cool. They require different skills than standard controller-based games.

But the sports games are even more key. I just picked up Victorious Boxers because I wanted a more 'real' boxing game. Still on story mode wiuth just a few short bouts. But this gives you a real workout when sparring, and makes the exercise fun. Other games like Tiger Woods and Wii SPorts Bowling are simply fun, and leaps beyond similar games using regular controllers. Performing a golf swing is compeltely different from just hitting buttons with the correct timing. The same applies to many games with well-implemented Wii controls (like the Godfather).

Can't wait for a realistic tennis game, like Virtua Tennis!
Old 10-25-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by MadonnasManOne
All of those saying your Wii goes unused....shame on you!

Sell your Wii's to people more deserving! There's no reason that you shouldn't be playing Wii. For shame!
Shame on us? Shame on Nintendo. Let them make some games that don't look like PeeWee's Playhouse meets Ross the Intern and maybe I'll be interested. What I find funny is alot of the posts in here say "Wii sports still gets the most play". To me, that shows how well Nintendo has done over the last year, the in-box launch title is the most popular.

Also, don't take this as Wii-bashing. I paid my money for the system, I'm just disappointed that I haven't seen a game that I want to play on it in the past 12 months.
Old 10-25-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think it really has anything to do with Nintendo not having games. Zelda, Warioware, Wii play, Metroid 3, Mario Strikers, Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Big Brain Academy, Donkey Kong Barrell Blast aren't going to be loved by everyone, but I think they are all solid titles from Nintendo. They touch on a variety of styles that I feel attract a variety of gamers.

I still blame third party support. I'm a firm believer that many companies did not intend for the Wii to do well and did not take the time to develop original games that utilize the control scheme.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.