Reload this Page >

Street Fighter 4 Announced

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Street Fighter 4 Announced

Old 12-13-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pasco
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the SFEX series 3D but played in 2D, just like what the developers are touting about with SFIV?
You are correct, except you forgot to mention that it sucked.
Old 12-13-07, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guilty Gear and KOF still get frequent releases, but you wouldn't notice since they barely change from incarnation to incarnation. Plus, they're 2D, and many people scoff at 2D, especially those who grew up post 16-BIT.
Don't forget about mortal kombat and dead or alive. They are still really strong as well.
Old 12-13-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, all of those are still going on, but they don't seem to be 'major releases' anymore. I love Guilty Gear as well, but it's a genre that will never be what it once was.

So, after reading about the Dreamcast version of SFA3 being poor, I popped it in, and then popped in the PS1 version of it, and I'll be damned, the PS1 version (on a PS2) is better, despite the controller just being shit for Capcom fighting games. I guess I've just always enjoyed the DC version more because of my Agetec Arcade stick...

Also, someone on CAG posted that Alpha Anthology for the PS2 is only $14.99 at Best Buy, so perhaps it's time to sell my PS1 and DC SFA3 and my PS1 Pocket Fighter, pocket the cash, and get them all in their best versions on the PS2...

Last edited by lordzeppelin; 12-13-07 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-13-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SF Antho for $15

i got it used at GS using a coupon, it came out like $20 something.. hot damn..
Old 12-15-07, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by metalhead212
Don't forget about mortal kombat and dead or alive. They are still really strong as well.
I have never been a big fan of the MK series. I always felt the animations were too stiff (in both 2D and 3D), and some of the characters left a lot to be desired (although this is a common flaw of many fighting games). Also, I'm not a big fan of large combos. That's just my view on the MK series.

I think the DOA series has a lot of potential but is always eclipsed by the female factor. I think the series has the best environments and I am shocked to see the aforementioned 'big three' have not followed suit. They've all had minimal environmental interaction in their later incarnations, but nothing close to DOA. (I almost forgot that the later MK games had interactive environments. I still prefer the DOA ones, though.) I also do not care for many of the characters. And, like pretty much any other fighting game series, the story line makes very little sense.

Speaking of not making sense, if this new SF game supposedly takes place between SFII and SFIII then why is it called SFIV? I wonder if some SFIII characters will be included. (Crossing fingers for Ibuki.)

I think forgoing 3D movement may hinder SFIV. Many fighters have implemented it pretty well, especially the Calibur series. And when you look at recent 3D fighters with only 2D elements, such as the 3D KOF series, they just feel dated. And I'm curious to see how Capcom will implement the camera work. Will the movement of the camera during certain moves / moments be too distracting? Will it accidentally switch sides?

Personally, I'm hoping all of this is a diversion and Capcom is secretly working on the real SFIV and it's hand drawn 2D graphics.
Old 12-15-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heart the Mortal Kombat series. I played the hell out of the 2 that were released for PS2. The last one was a major disappointment.

But I am eagerly anticipating the next MK game for 360/PS3.
Old 12-26-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Bump

A few new artwork pics from Edge magazine, and its looks as though we will get our first look at SF IV on Dec 28th on the 1up show.

http://capcom-town.es/2007/12/16/str...la-nueva-edge/
Old 12-26-07, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great! I'm dying to see this in motion.

I really want to see the HD remake in motion as well. There was that leaked cam footage, but I want to see it up close and clear.
Old 12-26-07, 06:57 PM

I think forgoing 3D movement may hinder SFIV. Many fighters have implemented it pretty well, especially the Calibur series. And when you look at recent 3D fighters with only 2D elements, such as the 3D KOF series, they just feel dated. And I'm curious to see how Capcom will implement the camera work. Will the movement of the camera during certain moves / moments be too distracting? Will it accidentally switch sides?
I have to disagree. I think if anyone can pull it off, it's Capcom. The KOF attempt at it was just weak, and I honestly think that if Capcom had SF4 turn out like that, they would actually scrap the whole project before releasing it. I really think that Capcom is going the right way by focusing on technique and gameplay, which will make or break the game, regardless of what dimension the game takes place in. I'm pretty damn good at Soul Calibur, but man, sometimes with better players, it turns into an 8-way dash and sidestep contest. The greater question remains - what will be the king of 2008 fighters? Soul Calibur 4 or Street Fighter IV? Isn't Tekken 6 due out too? I can't wait for SC and SF...
Old 12-26-07, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Does anyone know if Capcom plans on bringing Street Fighter 3 to XBL or the PSN?
Old 12-27-07, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Does anyone know if Capcom plans on bringing Street Fighter 3 to XBL or the PSN?
SF Anniversary is now backwards compatible on XB360 w/ online play intact.

And I'm curious to see how Capcom will implement the camera work. Will the movement of the camera during certain moves / moments be too distracting? Will it accidentally switch sides?
The camera doesnt move during gameplay (according to the EGM article) it only changes angles during replays.

You can read the full thing here..
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3165157

As far as what fighting game will be on top...I dont think it matters. I think fans will come out on top. Of the new fighters Im most excited for SC IV, SF IV, and SSFTHD remix. Though Im not a huge Tekken fan I do play it and look forward to the sixth game.
Old 12-28-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zero
SF Anniversary is now backwards compatible on XB360 w/ online play intact.
Is there still a community for this game? I just assumed it would have died by now. If there are still people playing, I might go find my a copy of Anniversary...to get my ass beat by some Sf hawks.
Old 12-29-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's hit or miss at best, the game has some lag issues but it's not as bad as Guilty Gear's lag. Some nights I can find matches with next to no problem, and some nights I end up playing the computer.

On a BETTER note heres the footage!
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/16818

I CANNOT wait!
Old 12-29-07, 03:56 AM

Well, after viewing this early showing, I think I can say that Capcom could easily slip in 'EX' between 'Street Fighter' and 'IV'. It appears to have similar basic gameplay as the SFEX series. It's definitely faster and looks nicer, but the animations seem similar, even the different camera angles during special moves are like the ones in the SFEX games. I'm not saying it's a good thing or bad thing, but it does not seem to be adding anything new (yet). In fact, at times it looked like a hybrid of Super Turbo and Third Strike, only in 3D, and the 3D is only for aesthetics, like Ultimate G'N'G or Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles. These are just observations so far.

I still do not care for the bulkier characters. And, I know they want to go with the more cartoonish look, like the Ready 2 Rumble series, but something seems off. It's cartoony, yet realistic. It needs more style or something.

I'm curious to see how it will do. Will it attract those who were SF players but have since moved on? Will it attract those new to SF and have only known VF, Calibur, Tekken, GG? Will it reinvigorate the fighting genre? Will it be overshadowed by SCIV, GG2, Tekken 6, or even HD Remix? I think, if the online play is good, it will garner a sizable audience, especially since it appears to not be deviating from the core 2D gameplay, SF's bread and butter.

So many thoughts and questions...
Old 12-29-07, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Is there still a community for this game? I just assumed it would have died by now. If there are still people playing, I might go find my a copy of Anniversary...to get my ass beat by some Sf hawks.
I've seen copies of SF Anniversary for the Xbox at Sears and Kmart for $8-10 new (YMMV). Just a heads up...
Old 01-09-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Character

Crimson Viper

http://kotaku.com/342767/new-sfiv-character-revealed

EDIT

Confirmed for Arcades
http://games.ign.com/articles/844/844430p1.html

Famitsu scans
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225983

Last edited by zero; 01-09-08 at 01:07 PM.
Old 01-11-08, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

New Teaser

...wow...
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29585.html
Old 02-06-08, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The World Warriors

http://kotaku.com/353121/street-figh...assic-fighters

I'm suddenly wishing I was in Japan...
Old 02-06-08, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blanka! Whoo Hoo!
Old 02-06-08, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
You are correct, except you forgot to mention that it sucked.
Maybe to those who never gave it a chance
Old 02-06-08, 06:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kicker_of_elves
Blanka! Whoo Hoo!
girl: If you could do anything with your life and money was no object, what would you do?
guy: Anything at all? Well, when I was a kid I used to play this video game for hours, Street Fighter 2. And I remember thinking "You know, people get paid to do this, to think of the game and create the characters." Like there's this one character Blanka. He's like half human and half lizard who eats his opponents. Well you know he either zaps them with lightning or he bites their faces off. It's pretty cool huh?
girl: So you want to design video games?
guy: No, I want to be Blanka.
Old 02-06-08, 12:49 PM

Glad to see it's heading to the arcades first, even if it may only be Japanese arcades. This will give Capcom a chance to iron out the kinks before it hits home. (Even though this would be feasible via downloadable updates.)

Now they just need to include the four boss characters and some new faces. Maybe some characters from Alpha or SF1.
Old 02-07-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Big pics up here now:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1213478_1124.html
Old 02-09-08, 08:24 AM
Banned

Blanka wooohoo!
Old 02-09-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
girl: If you could do anything with your life and money was no object, what would you do?
guy: Anything at all? Well, when I was a kid I used to play this video game for hours, Street Fighter 2. And I remember thinking "You know, people get paid to do this, to think of the game and create the characters." Like there's this one character Blanka. He's like half human and half lizard who eats his opponents. Well you know he either zaps them with lightning or he bites their faces off. It's pretty cool huh?
girl: So you want to design video games?
guy: No, I want to be Blanka.

That movie was a big shit pile but that line had me

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.