Reload this Page >

ONLY Halo 3 thread - part deux.

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ONLY Halo 3 thread - part deux.

Old 11-01-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Dear Bungie (and Christmas Baby Jesus),

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE release an update that will allow us to actually browse through available games so that we don't get stuck playing VIP and Neutral Assault over and over and over and over again!! Oh, and more big team battle maps sure would be nice.

Thanks!!

Argh!! I mean seriously! I am getting so sick of getting stuck with these two game types. Almost every time you veto VIP, you get stuck with neutral assault (and vice versa). CTF and Team Slayer seem to rarely come up. I play mostly Big Team Battle and it seems we lose 2-4 people a game when these gametypes come up. That leads to lopsided battles that are no fun (at least when you are the short-handed team).

I sure hope they are monitoring this (what game types get vetoed) like they say they are and make some adjustments (I doubt a new browser is feasible).
Old 11-01-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think everybody is sick of the playlists now. Bungie really screwed up not pumping the release with a large varierty of playlist combinations. There's like 6 possibilities maximum per list and you'de be lucky to see all six in a night of playing. I could esily come up with more myself in a few minutes. Bungie's reasoning is that they want to rotate the playlists and keep it fresh.. That doesn't make any sense. People got sick of these gametype/map combos weeks ago, and the number of online users has significantly dropped while quitters seems to be frequent now. The maps and playlists are far less than what were were used to in Halo 2! I thought 3 was supposed to be bigger and better! It's not. They should have given us as much as they can up front-keep people interested. All they managed to do was to show that they have zero creativity-givining us more of the same- "play what we tell you to play"- with less maps and gametypes than we have grown used to.
Old 11-01-07, 08:40 AM

Yup, it's funny to hear people cheer when CTF or Team Slayer actually come up in the rotation (it's usually VIP, Neutral Assault or Territories).

This is why I am still playing UT2004 to get my big team fighting(too bad territories isn't set up more like onslaught) fix. I love being able to choose which gametype/map to join in on.
Old 11-01-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Have they ever said why they don't just rotate every game type? I've never understood this "roll out playlists" thing.

You've got the veto system in place - just make it completely random every time and let the gamers decide what they want to play.

It makes no sense to do it the way they are currently.
Old 11-01-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like how they do the playlists and consider Bungie's online setup be the setup to beat. Considering Halo 2 was the most played live game until Gears of War came out years later and now Halo 3 is sitting at the top every single week it appears to be somewhat popular.

I will enjoy it when they throw in some lists like SWAT. Maybe even an Actionsack for a few weeks, but relax, the changes will slowly trickle out, which imo is the perfect way to do it.

I do hope they bring the Infection playlist from Halloween out for a little longer. It was laggy and all messed up last night.
Old 11-01-07, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I like how they do the playlists and consider Bungie's online setup be the setup to beat. Considering Halo 2 was the most played live game until Gears of War came out years later and now Halo 3 is sitting at the top every single week it appears to be somewhat popular.
I don't know that it's popularity, rather than lack of good choices. I HATE the matchmaking of Halo 3, but love playing it compared to Gears and other shooters available on the 360.

If the grousing that comes up when Neutral Assault comes up for the 8th time in 10 matches is any indication, people are playing because they like the game and maybe not the game type.
Old 11-01-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I don't know that it's popularity, rather than lack of good choices. I HATE the matchmaking of Halo 3, but love playing it compared to Gears and other shooters available on the 360.

If the grousing that comes up when Neutral Assault comes up for the 8th time in 10 matches is any indication, people are playing because they like the game and maybe not the game type.
And if past changes are any indication, they will make changes if one game is continually being vetoed. For instance, i hope to heaven one-sided VIP dies a quick death.

Overall though i like having the mix. It gets my group playing gametypes we might not choose on our own but are enjoyed when they come up in a rotation.

Also, bear in mind, no matter what gametype ever shows up you will have people online whining. I swear they do it just to hear their own voices in their headset.
Old 11-01-07, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, it's funny to hear people cheer when CTF or Team Slayer actually come up in the rotation (it's usually VIP, Neutral Assault or Territories).
See I hate when Team Slayer comes up. If I wanted to play Team Slayer I would.
Old 11-01-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
after you beat the game can you go back and play individual levels?
Old 11-01-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by damn_skippy
after you beat the game can you go back and play individual levels?
You can do that before you finish the game. Limited to the levels you have beat already, of course.
Old 11-06-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
Quick skull question that has probably been asked before:

Just finished the campaign and now I am going to go back and get the skulls for the achievements.

Once you find and pick up the skull and get the achievement, can you just quit the level right then? Any sense in carrying on? Do you lose the skull or achievement if you quit once it is found? Any use for the gold skulls in the future?

I read about gold skulls (achievement ones) and silver skulls. Any real reason to get the silver skulls or is it a waste of time?
Old 11-06-07, 07:56 PM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I read about gold skulls (achievement ones) and silver skulls. Any real reason to get the silver skulls or is it a waste of time?
The only real reason to get them is to unlock some extra armor bits.
Old 11-06-07, 08:44 PM

not only does it give you the hyabusa helmet, but it also allows you to activate certain abilities during campaign mode. turning on the skulls during the metagame campaign mode makes the achievements very attainable
Old 11-06-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You know, this game doesn't seem as ridiculously addicting as H2. I don't know if it is the playlists, or the maps, but it just seems to have less variety. Or maybe I'm having a bad night.
Old 11-06-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's the maps. The MP maps are not quite as good as those on Halo 2. The best one is Narrows, IMO, because it most resembles a Halo 2 Map - it's exactly the same on both sides, and the battles mostly take place in the middle.
Old 11-13-07, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ok, I am confused. I was playing a Ranked team slayer game and I got a triple kill and a killing frenzy but did not unlock the achievements for them.

Whats up with that?
Old 11-14-07, 08:23 AM

^ I don't think you can get those two achievements in team matches. I think it has to be Ranked free for all (lone wolves).

Same thing happened to me. I was might pissed.
Old 11-14-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by glasschicken
^ I don't think you can get those two achievements in team matches. I think it has to be Ranked free for all (lone wolves).

Same thing happened to me. I was might pissed.
Yep, that is correct.
Old 11-14-07, 10:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
That's really dumb
Old 11-14-07, 10:31 AM

I agree. I got 2 triple kills in ranked team slayer and have yet to do it in lone wolves. Some how managed to get a mongoose kill though so I'm not too pissed about it. Pretty proud of that one since those are kind of useless, but fun.
Old 11-14-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Man, I had a 32 kill game on Shotty/snipers on The Pit! I had a frenzy, 3 killing sprees, a sniper spree, a shotty spree, 6 double kills, a triple, an overkill, etc... Only died 8 times. I was so pumped after that game!!! We won 50-31, I had more kills than their entire team, lol. That was the first game I ever saved.
Old 11-14-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If anyone is good at grenade jumping, I need help getting my last skull achievement where you have to grenade jump onto a support beam to get the "Famine" skull. I severely suck at grenade jumping. I have tried it so many times that I am just irritated by now and will take any help (uh...letting someone else do it) I can get.

I tried it with grenades, a Brute Chopper, and even throwing out the deployable cover and jumping up on it and still cannot land on the support beam. Doo-doo.
Old 11-14-07, 02:59 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Have you tried standing on someones head? I think that is how I got it in the game I was in. Somone stood on my characters head, jumped up and got the skull for us all. It took a number of tries to get the jump right.
Old 11-14-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, actually H.I. and I tried it. He actually stood on a chopper and then I jumped from his head and still never could land on the beam. Must be my jumping skills.
Old 11-14-07, 03:22 PM

Best to do this on Coop since the elite starts with plasma grenades. Just keep killing him for an unlimited supply. These don't roll or bounce off the ledge, so it should be easier then normal grenades. It took me about 20 tries to get this skull.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.