Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Saints Row 2

Old 10-11-08, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 396 Likes on 296 Posts
That UFO that you get from pre-ordering at Gamestop, is that a one time use code you get or is it something anyone can use?
Old 10-11-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foxdvd
checkpoints during missions....THIS GETS MY MONEY!
Oh hellz yeah! I am trying to finish SR1 and I hate that I have to start missions from the beginning especially when I have passed what could have been a checkpoint durung the multipart missions.
Old 10-11-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yeah the checkpoints saved my ass numerous times already. I have died and failed at least 20 times already and I'm only 5 hours in. I beat GTA IV without dying once, and failing like 3 times...too easy and boring.

The UFO code should be generic, as it's a phone number.
Old 10-11-08, 11:01 AM

Almost forgot to post some impressions of the game!

-Aside from the occasional glitch like a person being stuck inside of a car, or the helicopter freaking out, the game runs great.

-Crazy create-a-character mode. The game seriously has 15 sliders for just the nose!

-It looks better than SR1, but below GTA IV.

-Better soundtrack than GTA IV or SR1 (I pretend I'm Gob Bluth driving over pedestrians while blasting "The Final Countdown!!)

-Amazing amount of diversions and side missions to do. Taxi/Paramedic/Ho-ing/Base jumping...

-Chainsaw kills just like in Gears of War (But it does not cut the body in half)...it even changes the camera angle and the victim screams and shakes

-You can pick up and throw/hit someone with just about anything. I spent a good 20 minutes smacking people with garbage, chairs, news stands, and fire hydrants. I even blasted some guy off a roof with some turntables

-Finally, the online seems to be about the same as GTA IV. It has a lobby and party system, and you can customize everything like weather, cars, police, guns, area, time, kills etc. The co-op is perfect, as you and a friend do whatever you want, much like Crackdown. It's not garbage like the Mercenaries 2 co-op. My friend and I spent some time as paramedics, then car surfed, then finished it off with mass violence.

Anyone one the fence...BUY IT!!!!
Old 10-11-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by discostu1337
yeah the checkpoints saved my ass numerous times already. I have died and failed at least 20 times already and I'm only 5 hours in. I beat GTA IV without dying once, and failing like 3 times...too easy and boring.

The UFO code should be generic, as it's a phone number.
You beat GTA IV without dying once? Come on now....
Old 10-11-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I just played for 4 hours straight...fun as hell. The graphics are not as good as GTA IV obviously, but its 100x more fun. I spent most of my time just checking out all the cool new stuff, like streaking, shock paddles, and car surfing etc. I'm gonna try a few of the multiplayer modes tonight with a friend and see how that works out.

So far I would rate the games as follows:

Saints Row 1 - 9.0
Saints Row 2 - 9.5
GTA IV - 8

Better than the original? That's all you needed to say.
Old 10-11-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I heard that there are some kind of insurance fraud missions where you can actually throw someone (online friend) under a bus and stuff...I can't wait to play this game.
Old 10-11-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The insurance fraud missions from the first one were the best side missions in the game, IMO.

The rampage missions were fun, too.
Old 10-11-08, 07:50 PM

there are actually 2 sets of all the side missions now, so 2 sets of insurance fraud i.e. more fun! Oh, and they are way harder now, which kinda sucks.
Old 10-11-08, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
You beat GTA IV without dying once? Come on now....
Sure did, I believe my stats screen would show 2 or 3 deaths, due to my friend going on a rampage under my saved game Other than that, never died...GTA IV was boring
Old 10-11-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's pretty impressive, but the game wasn't boring at all. I had tons of fun just goofing off. The missions were a tad difficult at times. I still have to finish the game, I just completed the bank robbery mission.

As for SR2, I reserved the game tonight. Looking forward to picking it up Tuesday. Glad I have an easy week at work
Old 10-11-08, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sure did, I believe my stats screen would show 2 or 3 deaths, due to my friend going on a rampage under my saved game Other than that, never died...GTA IV was boring
Without cheating? I seriously doubt it.

= J
Old 10-11-08, 10:47 PM

Meh, I'm done trying to defend myself about something that means nothing. I beat the stupid game w/o dying, the end.

Back to Saints Row!
Old 10-12-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is the juvenile humor in SR2? The over the top stupidness of the first one completely put me off. Those were also my least favorite parts of GTA IV, though it seemed to tone it down from past installments.
Old 10-12-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of which, does your character talk more? The first one was funny when he dropped the one liners out of nowhere
Old 10-12-08, 05:37 PM

your character talks non-stop now...kinda odd. And there is not too much juvenile humor at all...besides shooting people in the nuts perhaps
Old 10-14-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a blast playing the game for an hour earlier. I only did two missions, but I spent most of my time driving around listning to the 80's station

The second mission cutscene was funny.
Spoiler:
Anyone hit that needs a lawyer? You look different, you do something with your hair?

I dislike the timed mission thing, though. I hated that from the first one. Oh and I heard people don't like the driving. It feels natural to me, no problems with it.

My first review is a 8.9 out of 10.

I still like GTA IV better, but this game is alot of fun.
Old 10-14-08, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I turned on the game again earlier tonight to show the wife the 80's station, and "The Final Countdown" came on. We both cracked up as my character actually started humming along, and singing badly. He didn't do it before, so I assume it's random. The DJ even announced it differently.

I even got an achievement for it

Great game!
Old 10-15-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Yeah, while GTAIV is obviously far more polished and well done, I'm finding Saints Row 2 to be quite a bit more FUN. It certainly doesn't have any of the things that made GTAIV so frustrating: restarting missions from scratch, realistic driving, wonky aiming, etc. All these are handled in SR2 in a way that makes it more "arcadey" than in GTAIV, but, again, more fun.

I spent an hour alone just on the character creation - I dig that shit. I kinda wanna go back and re-do my character and make him/her (I pretty much made a tranny) even more crazy and whacked out.
Old 10-15-08, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, while GTAIV is obviously far more polished and well done, I'm finding Saints Row 2 to be quite a bit more FUN.
In hindsight, that's how I felt about SR1 vs. GTA4. GTA is clearly the overall "better" game, but SR1 was more fun for me. Glad to hear SR2 is even better. Probably won't pick it up right away, but I'll definitely get it up before long.
Old 10-15-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts
I can't wait to unlock the Hot Dog costumes. What could be funnier than a drive-by with dudes wearing a hot dog?
Old 10-15-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I heard there's a streaking mission or something along those lines. Is that true?
Old 10-15-08, 03:14 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I had a blast with it for four hours last night and I only did two missions. So far my favorite part is the
Spoiler:
zombie minigame you can play in the crib. I wish they would make an entire game like this expanded across the whole map. The idea of being able to play a zombie game in a big city sandbox map like Stilwater (or Liberty City, etc.) where the only objective is survival would be amazing.
Old 10-15-08, 03:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rob V
I can't wait to unlock the Hot Dog costumes. What could be funnier than a drive-by with dudes wearing a hot dog?
Well, I saw a vehicle in the game that looked sort of like the Oscar Meyer weinermobile except I think it was a burger and fries... if you were driving that AND wearing the hot dog costume, THAT would be funnier.
Old 10-15-08, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts
The customization of your character is incredible. I don't normally geek out on that stuff so I just made a guy that kinda looks like me (I guess). The "encouragement" and "put downs" you can choose are freakin hilarious!! I chose the Fonzi "Heeeeey" encouragement and the Middle Finger "fuck you" put down.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.