Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Changing out my XBOX 360 .. can I transfer my game saves??

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-07, 02:22 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going from an older core system with the add-on 20gb drive to an Elite. Can I transfer my saved games?? I have no downloaded material to transfer at all but would hate to lose my place in things like PGR, COD3, GOW etc etc.

Also anything else I should do??

I do not have my Elite system yet as I am waiting for the the new bundle to become available in the next week or so but my old 360 needs to go to its new owner this week.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Greg
Old 10-15-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe you have to send away for a transfer cable from Microsoft. Google is your friend. I also believe there is a program that moves saves off the 360 harddrive to your PC harddrive and vice-versa. Once again, google is your friend.
Old 10-15-07, 02:37 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can if you have a memory card. 95% of your save games should transfer to the memory card, and then you can put them onto the new hard drive. Things you bought like gamerpics, themes, add-ons to games, etc. You can redownload them all through the market place by looking in the download history sections.

Some points to keep in mind.

The easiest way is to use the transfer cable. Unfortunetly, the cable doesn't come with the elite system. You have to order it from MS and it takes about a week to two to get it. Once you get it, you put the old drive on the elite, hook the cable up to the new drive and follow the steps. It comes with a disk you put in the 360. You have to do this with the new drive with no data because it overwrites everything and at the same time removes it from the old drive.

If you cannot wait for that, you can do the memory card option. First, copy the saves you want to the memory card. Then, once that is done, recover your gamertag on the new system. Then copy the saves onto the new system hard drive. If you copy them before you recover your gamertag, they will be locked.

Also, once you put data on it and do get the transfer cable, it makes things much harder, which I found out. I upgraded my core with the hd I bought after the fact to an elite. I put the saves I wanted on the system and used it for 2 weeks before getting my transfer cable kit. Only to find out that it is a one way/one time process that "formats" the new drive if there is data on it, transfers the old data to the new drive removing it from the old drive.

So now, I have a lot of saves that I didn't copy over because they wouldn't fit on my memory card.
Old 10-15-07, 02:39 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have seen the transfer cable part that you have to request from MS. This is of course for moving the entire HDD.

I also see where game saves can be saved to a memory card vs. the HDD but I have been unable to find a procedure showing me that I can move game saves that are on the HDD to a memory card and then back on to the HDD of the 360.

Greg
Old 10-15-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you need a transfer cable, I can sell you one/trade you one, and get it there this week. PM me if you're interested. If you go this route, the transfer will take about an hour. Cable works great, though. Very easy to use.

But you'd need to have your old 360 when you get the Elite to use it. Otherwise, you can either use a memory card or buy the cable that lets you transfer to/from your PC.
Old 10-15-07, 02:45 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce
You can if you have a memory card. 95% of your save games should transfer to the memory card, and then you can put them onto the new hard drive. Things you bought like gamerpics, themes, add-ons to games, etc. You can redownload them all through the market place by looking in the download history sections.

Some points to keep in mind.

The easiest way is to use the transfer cable. Unfortunetly, the cable doesn't come with the elite system. You have to order it from MS and it takes about a week to two to get it. Once you get it, you put the old drive on the elite, hook the cable up to the new drive and follow the steps. It comes with a disk you put in the 360. You have to do this with the new drive with no data because it overwrites everything and at the same time removes it from the old drive.

If you cannot wait for that, you can do the memory card option. First, copy the saves you want to the memory card. Then, once that is done, recover your gamertag on the new system. Then copy the saves onto the new system hard drive. If you copy them before you recover your gamertag, they will be locked.

Also, once you put data on it and do get the transfer cable, it makes things much harder, which I found out. I upgraded my core with the hd I bought after the fact to an elite. I put the saves I wanted on the system and used it for 2 weeks before getting my transfer cable kit. Only to find out that it is a one way/one time process that "formats" the new drive if there is data on it, transfers the old data to the new drive removing it from the old drive.

So now, I have a lot of saves that I didn't copy over because they wouldn't fit on my memory card.

Good post, thanks!! Guess I need to go get an XBOX memory card then. I have ZERO downloaded content as I have never gotten off my a$$ and hooked it up to the net.

Thanks for all the info

Greg
Old 10-15-07, 02:45 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GCS
I have seen the transfer cable part that you have to request from MS. This is of course for moving the entire HDD.

I also see where game saves can be saved to a memory card vs. the HDD but I have been unable to find a procedure showing me that I can move game saves that are on the HDD to a memory card and then back on to the HDD of the 360.

Greg
To move them from HDD to memory card to HDD, you have to go to the memory blade in the dashboard.
Go into the HDD and browse to your games. Find the save you want, select copy and it will prompt you for where to store it. Select memory unit.

To put it back on to the HDD, you do the same thing except you go into the Memory unit, find your save game and select copy. Choose HDD for location to copy to.

It sucks, in that you have to do 1 at a time and it can be slow. But 95% of things should copy. I found 2 games that wouldn't let me copy my save game to memory card. DOA4 and one other that I can't recall at the moment.
Old 10-15-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing you need to know is that if you've purchased any Marketplace content, you will not be able to access it without being online with the gamertag you purchased it with.
Old 10-15-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
FYI, if you have Viva Pinata it WILL NOT transfer to a memory card. I lost that save when exchanging a defective 360 at Target. Everything else I had transfered over.
Old 10-15-07, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
FYI, if you have Viva Pinata it WILL NOT transfer to a memory card. I lost that save when exchanging a defective 360 at Target. Everything else I had transfered over.
I've heard Perfect Dark Zero is the same way, but I would avoid that game anyways.
Old 10-16-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GCS
Going from an older core system with the add-on 20gb drive to an Elite. Can I transfer my saved games?? I have no downloaded material to transfer at all but would hate to lose my place in things like PGR, COD3, GOW etc etc.

Also anything else I should do??

I do not have my Elite system yet as I am waiting for the the new bundle to become available in the next week or so but my old 360 needs to go to its new owner this week.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Greg
do yourself a favor and get the free cable thing

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...amigration.htm

http://assets.xbox.com/en-us/support...-OrderForm.pdf

Old 10-16-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I'm not sure if this is the case w/VP, but it was with Forza 2. I couldn't transfer the game save file onto the memory card, it was the only game that wouldn't do it. I searched around the Forza forums. It turns out that you have to transfer your gamer profile to the memory card first. In other words, the game save file only goes over to a device that already has your profile. That means that my next move was moving the profile over to the new HD, and then transferring the Forza file.
Old 10-16-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the transfer cable and DVD that I can give you for free. I'll never need it again - so let me know if you'd like it.
Old 10-17-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I have the transfer cable and DVD that I can give you for free. I'll never need it again - so let me know if you'd like it.

See, that's why this forum rocks.
Old 12-08-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for reopening this thread, I just put this post in the exchange forum:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....transfer+cable

I'm looking for a data transfer kit. If there's anyone that'd like to share with me it'd be great. Of course I'll pay whatever shipping charges you have.