Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do gamers get upset about games not being exclusive?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why do gamers get upset about games not being exclusive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Draven
They aren't thinking about it that hard.

Basically, they wanted to jump on their favorite blog or forum and rave about how awesome DMC4 is on their PS3 and now all those suckers who bought a 360 should shut the fuck up about Halo.

They no longer get to do this, and that makes them crabby.

There is also some concern like some folks already mentioned: that multi-platform games tend to be written for the lowest common denominator. I guess if you think the PS3 is really better than the 360 hardware wise, that could be the case. Last gen with the PS2 vs Xbox/GC that was sometimes the case.

With this gen I think they're pretty much on par video hardware being weaker on the PS3, but it has higher theoretical CPU power (given that folks can do the multiprocessing correctly).
Old 10-10-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well to me the shoe's on the other foot. Last gen the more powerful Xbox and Gamecube got the lowest common denominator ports from the PS2. The tides have changed and Playstation fans are pissed because the 360 is now the LCD and where games start out.
Old 10-10-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well to me the shoe's on the other foot. Last gen the more powerful Xbox and Gamecube got the lowest common denominator ports from the PS2. The tides have changed and Playstation fans are pissed because the 360 is now the LCD and where games start out.
Why is the 360 the LCD? I have yet to see a game available on both platforms that I preferred on the PS3, and it's not because the games are holding back the PS3's potential, as even the exclusives at this point leave much to be desired.
Old 10-10-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gaming has become so personal in a way that it's no longer about playing games for some but talking about them instead on forums all day and taking the company's welfare as seriously as their own state of family. I admit to getting personal when great artsy games sell like crap while average casual ones sell so much more but that is because of a very realistic world I see coming for the video game industry, one I could not be part of, so that is my vested interest to prevent that in any small way I can.

Case in point Zack and Wiki, the first true P&C adventure game on consoles in eons expected to sell as well as Okami, never to be heard from again while Resident Evil Wii Shooting game sells x15. Folks have to look at themselves when they claim variety and new ideas aren't attempted enough, there is reason when most aren't supported by so called gamers.
Old 10-10-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Why is the 360 the LCD? I have yet to see a game available on both platforms that I preferred on the PS3, and it's not because the games are holding back the PS3's potential, as even the exclusives at this point leave much to be desired.
If anyone feels that the 360 is the LCD of the true next gen consoles, they need to explain to me why Madden runs twice as fast on the 360 than on the PS3. I still don't get that one.
Old 10-10-07, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker
If anyone feels that the 360 is the LCD of the true next gen consoles, they need to explain to me why Madden runs twice as fast on the 360 than on the PS3. I still don't get that one.
Lazy programmers?
Old 10-10-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
How so? Do you mean the folks at Tiburon designed the game for the 360 and were just lazy with porting it over?
Old 10-10-07, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by madara
Gaming has become so personal in a way that it's no longer about playing games for some but talking about them instead on forums all day and taking the company's welfare as seriously as their own state of family. I admit to getting personal when great artsy games sell like crap while average casual ones sell so much more but that is because of a very realistic world I see coming for the video game industry, one I could not be part of, so that is my vested interest to prevent that in any small way I can.

Case in point Zack and Wiki, the first true P&C adventure game on consoles in eons expected to sell as well as Okami, never to be heard from again while Resident Evil Wii Shooting game sells x15. Folks have to look at themselves when they claim variety and new ideas aren't attempted enough, there is reason when most aren't supported by so called gamers.
Is Zack and Wiki even out yet?
Old 10-10-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by madara
Not to sidetrack, but they aren't being supported by the casual videogamer, that's the problem. Whether it's marketing or what, most of these niche games just don't get noticed by the mainstream gamer, and that's what kills it (of course, that's usually the definition of niche, isn't it?). Usually sufficient buzz about a good game here in the forum is enough for me to at least go find out more about it, if not buy it outright.
Old 10-10-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Artsy video games?
Old 10-10-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
ruh ruh. Monster hunter 3 switched from exclusive of PS3..to now for Wii.
Old 10-10-07, 10:15 PM

Easily the answer as to why they get pissed boils down to the fact that exclusives mean people have to buy a particular system to play it which means the system will last longer and potentially have a decent life span. When it jumps all over to all the platforms that means one system could do better than the other, thus prematurely ending the life of any of the systems.
Old 10-10-07, 10:30 PM
sk8r1189

Nobody was saying the PS3 is a "shit" system. It isn't.
LIES! My friend got his PS3 the month it came out, his dad got it for free since hes in the business, so he didn't spend any money on it so it was cool. But then, all of the sudden, his disk drive broke and it doesn't recognize any type(s) of CD/DVD(s) anymore. They at one point has a 50% failure rate within 6 months, think it went down now though.
Old 10-10-07, 10:30 PM
sk8r1189

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
ruh ruh. Monster hunter 3 switched from exclusive of PS3..to now for Wii.

Im crying right now - one of my fav games, own both for PSP and love them.
Old 10-10-07, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Artsy video games?
Yeah like Halo 3, Madden, Shadow the Hedgehog, Advent Children, they barely sell next to mass market casual friendly million sellers like Odin Sphere, Beyond Good & Evil, Okami, or Eternal Sonata
Old 10-10-07, 11:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sk8r1189
They at one point has a 50% failure rate within 6 months, think it went down now though.
You are talking about the PS3, right? I have never heard of any problem with it. After the 360's RROD fiasco, any similar failure rate with the PS3 would be widespread news.
Old 10-10-07, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It is the LCD because it isn't the powerhorse this generation, the PS3 is. That plus the install base means that games will be designed for the 360 first and ported up to the PS3. Which in turn means that the PS3 versions will not be taking full advantage of the hardware. It's not that hard to see, look at every PS3 port out there. There isn't a single one whose scores average better than the 360 original.

It's last gen all over again. PS2 had the install base and was the weakest system, therefore developers hit there first and ported up to the Xbox and Gamecube resulting in some shitty ports.

Playstation fanboys have been the center of the gaming universe for over a decade. This 360 turn of events(and to a lesser extent, Wii) has thrown their world into total disarray and they will say or do stupid things...like creating a petition saying they won't buy a game if it's multiplatform. They think these companies owe them some misbegotten loyalty when in fact history is merely repeating itself except with the major players in a role reversal.

Want the best version of a game? You have to own a 360. Simple as that. Fanboys will have to suck it up and get over this asinine brand loyalty and get the 360 version. Right now that's where it's at. That may change down the line, but people need to look past the name on the console and just go by the games themselves.

That's my take on it anyway.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-10-07 at 11:49 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Interesting posts.

I will admit to being more of a niche gamer. Legend of the Fisher King was one of my favorites.
Old 10-11-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love that market research with the 50% error rate based on two PS3s. Unless that was meant to be sarcasm or something.

I don't think it's necessarily the case that the PS3 is that much more powerful than the 360, at least not at the difference the Xbox seemed to be from the original PS2... though I guess we'll see in a few years. The PS3 just seems hard to work with. Like I said before, I don't see anything in the PS3 exclusives that are not doable on the 360. To make things worse, it's a triumph when the PS3 "port" is as good as the 360 version and isn't gimped in some way. That wasn't the case for last gen, when the 360 port was usually just as good as but mostly better than the PS2 versions, control issues aside.

Bottom line for me:
last gen, the PS2 was the first system out, it was graphically inferior to the Xbox. When push came to shove, I'd chose the Xbox version over the PS2 version because of the better graphics, sound, LIVE support, etc.

This gen, 360 comes out first. When push comes to shove, I'll chose the 360 version of a game over the PS3 version because of better frame rates, LIVE support, Achievements.

I don't see the 360 as the Lowest Common Denominator, at least until the PS3 proves it's superior not in specs, but in an actual game.

I can see a sense of betrayal for the early adopters... they (ok, we) bought into the PS3 thinking that it would justify the high pricetag, and so far, outside of being an excellent Bluray machine, it hasn't. It losing some of the few exclusives it had going for it is a blow, and the continual cost cutting measures and loss of backward compatibility reek of desperation. What pains me even more is that the quirky little Japanese games that I love aren't out yet... that's what kept the PS2 alive in my household. I still don't see why anyone would create a petition to try to stop a company from releasing a game on more platforms, though.
Old 10-11-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't see the 360 as the Lowest Common Denominator, at least until the PS3 proves it's superior not in specs, but in an actual game.
That's true. Although after playing through Heavenly Sword it was pretty clear to me that once devs. get the hang of the system the gap between PS3 games and 360 games will definitely be more apparent. Even Lair had flashes of brilliance in scope that I haven't seen on the 360.
Old 10-11-07, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
First off, I own all 3 systems, so I'm not biased. I love the 360 and all it stands for. The PS3 has been a BR player for me thus far, and I have no complaints. I do, however, eventually see some games in the future that will blow away the 360. The point is, IMO, if it's a multiplatform game, I would still lean to the 360 version. The 360 just does everything right. Controls, achievements, easy to nav LIVE menus, etc... For me to buy a PS3 title, it's going to HAVE TO BE an exclusive, no matter how good it looks.
Old 10-11-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
The point is, IMO, if it's a multiplatform game, I would still lean to the 360 version. The 360 just does everything right. Controls, achievements, easy to nav LIVE menus, etc... For me to buy a PS3 title, it's going to HAVE TO BE an exclusive, no matter how good it looks.
Exactly. Sony built their gaming division on third parties. So to be relegated to a position Nintendo has held for ten years is killing them. That position being a platform that people buy only for the exclusives not third party titles.

History has repeated itself (thus far). They didn't learn from Nintendo's mistakes in '94-'95. Nintendo was on top of the gaming world and took their consumers for granted, let third parties slip through their fingers and thought they could ride on their name alone. As we all know that didn't work out all that well. It wasn't that the Playstation was "all that" compared to the N64, Nintendo just fucked up royally which is what Sony is doing ten years later.

The fans are going through the same thing. Nintendo fans went through hell in the late '90's for supporting their system, much like Sony fans are going through this first year. Again, history simply repeating itself.

Once MS gets this RROD fiasco behind them, I don't think Sony will be able to turn the third party situation around. It is what it is. I'm with you, I own all three, but the PS3 will be for exclusives only.
Old 10-11-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts
I have always been a one system man. I just don't want to spend the time or money it takes to have all the systems and all the game choices. I miss popular exclusives all the time but suck it up and enjoy the system I am currently playing.

Having exclusive titles has never been a problem for me going all the way back to my Atari 2600. I can remember seeing some Intellivision and Coleco titles as a kid and gasping at how good they looked and/or played. My family didn't have the money for more than one system so I did without and enjoyed my Atari.

I was a Sega fan since they never censored their titles like Nintendo did and never even owned a Nintendo system (until the DS). I loved most of the Mario titles back then but just played them at a friends house and stuck with my Sega Genesis (and Sega CD...and Sega 32X...ugh).

I jumped back into games with the Xbox after barely using a PS1. I saw the tons of exclusive games that went to the PS2 but dealt with it. I didn't cry, whine or mope. I made my decision on the console of choice and stuck to it. I was never unhappy with my choice but do I wish I could have played God of War or some other A+ title? Sure...but I just have always felt there are some titles you may never play. It's not like you are suffering from titles to play on any of the consoles. You just may not play the "hot" title at the time.

I finally jumped into the latest gen with a 360 purchase. Exclusive titles did make a choice in my decision though. I looked at Halo3, Gears of War, Bioshock, Fable 2, and a few others that I would just have to have. I looked at the possible exclusives on the PS3 and made my decision from there.

That's how I believe that exclusives are still important today...they have to justify your console purchase and make you happy you threw down your hard earned money. People become attached to certain brands of consoles just like they do for jeans. Would I refuse to buy or play Halo3 if it went to the PS3 as well? No, but I would be very disappointed since it was one of the reasons I justified my 360 purchase. I think some of the petition guys feel the same way...they are just taking it more to the extreme.

Some have said that exclusives will die out. I don't believe this is true. Yeah, you will see popular franchises going to all the systems now since they want to sell and make the most money they can. We just have to wait to see who emerges as the quiet, unknown exclusive that will come out and take everybody by surprise (like Halo and GTA did) and become the new system seller.
Old 10-11-07, 09:05 AM

because no matter how good things are people always have to whine or cry about something. lol
Old 10-11-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts
Because I would like to think that I bought my PS3 for a reason, and that is a new twisted metal game will becoming to system sometime soon as the rumors here have stated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.