Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Xbox 360 Thread - Part VII

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-07, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I always forget Crackdown. A definite. I think SRP is $30 now, so even cheaper used.
Old 09-03-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lordwow
- Catan: An alright board game. It's cool if you have friends to play with it, though the online community for it has pretty much died out. It's tough to play with people who don't talk as well. Maybe wait and see if they ever drop this to 400 points.
I view it the opposite - it's tough to play with people who do talk, because they're usually assholes. I'll normally pretend that I don't have a mic, just to avoid the drama.
Old 09-03-07, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikael79
I view it the opposite - it's tough to play with people who do talk, because they're usually assholes. I'll normally pretend that I don't have a mic, just to avoid the drama.
Hmm interesting. I've always found it nearly impossible to trade with people without mics.
Old 09-03-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Son of a!
Old 09-03-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Son of a!

Yeah I feel you pain. I had mine RROD the other day and I called MS. I was able to get on and play today but who knows if it'll give me the RROD the next time I turn it on. I'm going to try to keep playing until I get my coffin.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-03-07 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It's all part of MS's big plan. Have a shit ton of RRODs occur right before Halo comes out that way people upgrade to the Halo Edition 360.
Old 09-03-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's all part of MS's big plan. Have a shit ton of RRODs occur right before Halo comes out that way people upgrade to the Halo Edition 360.
Well, unless they give me a voucher for X number of $ to upgrade to the Halo Edition console...I'll just keep sending them back dead and getting new ones to kill.

I just realized we're only renting 360 consoles.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-03-07 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I just realized we're only renting 360 consoles.
That's almost sig-worthy.
Old 09-03-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Son of a!
My turn!

Old 09-03-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
My turn!

Damn Karma... I knew it was gonna bite me in the ass when I did it.... but I could not resist! LOL!

I wonder if now is the time to upgrade to the 120GB HD or if it even matters... as the games are tied to the HD as well as the 360?

Last edited by Music; 09-03-07 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
I upgraded. It's a pain in the ass (as you have to wait for MS to send you a transfer cable) but at least I can still play Bioshock until my old system is fixed.
Old 09-03-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the cable was included with the 120GB drive....

Did you get the drive, or upgrade to an Elite?
Old 09-03-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Anyone notice that their 360 power supply light is Orange instead of Green?
Old 09-03-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine's orange on idle, green when i power it on.
Old 09-03-07, 11:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's only one possible explanation: Robo's 360 is possessed!
Old 09-04-07, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Mine's orange on idle, green when i power it on.

Well, it was one of the things the Phone Rep asked me to check when I called about the Red Ring. It was green at the time. I went to the MS site and they said that the light changes for various reasons:

The power supply has several built-in safeguards to help prevent damage to either the console or to the power supply itself. The power supply can turn itself off in conditions of too much current, too-high voltage, or too-high temperature. Under these conditions, the light on the power supply will turn from green to orange or to red, or the light will turn off. When the power supply light is green, the power supply is correctly providing power.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906102/

I guess I was wondering if it was just a heat issue.
Old 09-04-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I've gone through in the past month with Microsoft in getting my HD-DVD drive repaired has been, bar none, the worst customer service experience of my life. I shipped my drive to Microsoft on July 24th after talking to a rep. I paid $60 for the repair, and was told the turn around time on HD-DVD drives was 5-7 business days.

I shipped it second day air, and it was received by them on July 27th according to Fed Ex (I could even see the signature of one "M. Brown"), but I never received any confirmation email (which I had gotten when my 360 died a month before). On August 3rd, I get an email saying that they had never received the HD-DVD drive, and would I like to cancel my request?

I call Microsoft to sort it out, and they deny having received the drive, and they accuse me of faking it being lost. So I give them the Fedex tracking number and they see that they did, indeed, receive it. Suddenly the rep says that their system simply hasn't updated yet but all is sorted and I will receive my confirmation email within the hour.

August 7th I call again. I still haven't gotten an email. They still can't find my repair in their system. They can't even find a record of my call from four days before. So we go through the same thing again -- did I really send in my drive? Am I sure about my Fedex tracking number? And so I finally hang up being told, again, that I would get my tracking number shortly.

August 13th I call again. This time it has shown up in the system. That day. The rep insists that they had received it for the first time on the 13th. She denies that they lost my package. I say that this is ridiculous, etc., but remain calm until she tells me that the repair time from that date will be 20-30 business days. I ask what I'm paying them for, and say according to their initial estimate, I should already have my drive back by now. I say all of this calmly but insistently. She hangs up on me.

August 17th I call again. Still no confirmation email. And now there is no record of my drive again. Same exact results as every other time. I ask to be passed along to a supervisor and am refused.

August 23rd, still no email. I call and now the repair time is listed as 35 business days. Although they still can't exactly find my drive in the system. I say that I don't feel like I should pay for this repair, and say that they should be trying to compensate me in some way. The woman refuses. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I am told that that is not warranted.

Yesterday, September 3rd, call again after still no updates. Get a rep who immediately puts me on hold before I can say anything beyond my name, and she comes back to tell me that I will be speaking with her supervisor. A man named Richard Bee comes on the phone, and we end up arguing for about 45 minutes. At first he can't find my repair -- the same old story -- but after I become angry and ask for the name of his superior (he insisted he had none) and then the name for the press office for Microsoft (I let him know that I was a journalist, and this seemed like a great case study in customer service), he suddenly says that my drive is close to being shipped. I ask what magically happened other than him feeling threatened in those 20 minutes and he can't say. Over and over I say I refuse to pay for this repair, but he ignores me.

Finally, I begin demanding that they send me back my BROKEN drive. All I ask, I say, is that they miraculously find my broken drive, ship it back to me and refund me money. I say it would make a nice sidebar for the story I am going to pitch -- how after all of this, they couldn't even find my product, and never even fixed it. Suddenly I am put on hold. He comes back five minutes later and says he will refund my money and that they will find my drive and fix it. He advised me to call back in 10-15 business days to see if they have any updates on my drive. I tell him this is ridiculous -- that this means the repair will have taken 40 days LONGER than was quoted to me -- but all he can say is "call back." We angrily get off the phone. Ugh.

I'm glad to get the refund -- it's amazing what I had to go through to get it -- but this is still just insane. There is no way someone should have to work this hard to get a repair back. When I got the red rings it was way less painless than this. Oh, and the great part is that the HD-DVD drive died only five days after I got back my Xbox from Microsoft. Good times!

Last edited by Yancey; 09-04-07 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-04-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Holy shit, a Yancey sighting!
Old 09-04-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What was the problem you had with the HD-DVD drive?
Old 09-04-07, 12:29 PM

The power source input on the back of the drive snapped off and fell back into the drive itself. It was bizarre. One day, I go to watch an HD-DVD and it won't turn on. (It hadn't been moved in four or five months.) I pull it out to check the wiring and there's just a hole where the plug should go. No idea how that happened.

And yeah, slop, I still lurk!

Last edited by Yancey; 09-04-07 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After all of that trouble you could've probably fixed it yourself.
Old 09-04-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
The HD-DVD drive has a 1 year warranty. It isn't over a year old, is it? What was the $60 for?

Anyway, I'm SO glad I spent the $30 on the Best Buy replacement warranty. I knew that it would give me grief and that the prices would drop. I've already swapped it out once because it was so shitty. Before 2009, I'm going to swap it again, this time for a stand-alone model as I hate the 360 drive (except the small size, which is nice)
Old 09-04-07, 01:36 PM

The warranty on the HD-DVD drive is 90 days. This is what they told me.
Old 09-04-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yancey
What I've gone through in the past month with Microsoft in getting my HD-DVD drive repaired has been, bar none, the worst customer service experience of my life. I shipped my drive to Microsoft on July 24th after talking to a rep. I paid $60 for the repair, and was told the turn around time on HD-DVD drives was 5-7 business days.

I shipped it second day air, and it was received by them on July 27th according to Fed Ex (I could even see the signature of one "M. Brown"), but I never received any confirmation email (which I had gotten when my 360 died a month before). On August 3rd, I get an email saying that they had never received the HD-DVD drive, and would I like to cancel my request?

I call Microsoft to sort it out, and they deny having received the drive, and they accuse me of faking it being lost. So I give them the Fedex tracking number and they see that they did, indeed, receive it. Suddenly the rep says that their system simply hasn't updated yet but all is sorted and I will receive my confirmation email within the hour.

August 7th I call again. I still haven't gotten an email. They still can't find my repair in their system. They can't even find a record of my call from four days before. So we go through the same thing again -- did I really send in my drive? Am I sure about my Fedex tracking number? And so I finally hang up being told, again, that I would get my tracking number shortly.

August 13th I call again. This time it has shown up in the system. That day. The rep insists that they had received it for the first time on the 13th. She denies that they lost my package. I say that this is ridiculous, etc., but remain calm until she tells me that the repair time from that date will be 20-30 business days. I ask what I'm paying them for, and say according to their initial estimate, I should already have my drive back by now. I say all of this calmly but insistently. She hangs up on me.

August 17th I call again. Still no confirmation email. And now there is no record of my drive again. Same exact results as every other time. I ask to be passed along to a supervisor and am refused.

August 23rd, still no email. I call and now the repair time is listed as 35 business days. Although they still can't exactly find my drive in the system. I say that I don't feel like I should pay for this repair, and say that they should be trying to compensate me in some way. The woman refuses. I ask to speak to a supervisor. I am told that that is not warranted.

Yesterday, September 3rd, call again after still no updates. Get a rep who immediately puts me on hold before I can say anything beyond my name, and she comes back to tell me that I will be speaking with her supervisor. A man named Richard Bee comes on the phone, and we end up arguing for about 45 minutes. At first he can't find my repair -- the same old story -- but after I become angry and ask for the name of his superior (he insisted he had none) and then the name for the press office for Microsoft (I let him know that I was a journalist, and this seemed like a great case study in customer service), he suddenly says that my drive is close to being shipped. I ask what magically happened other than him feeling threatened in those 20 minutes and he can't say. Over and over I say I refuse to pay for this repair, but he ignores me.

Finally, I begin demanding that they send me back my BROKEN drive. All I ask, I say, is that they miraculously find my broken drive, ship it back to me and refund me money. I say it would make a nice sidebar for the story I am going to pitch -- how after all of this, they couldn't even find my product, and never even fixed it. Suddenly I am put on hold. He comes back five minutes later and says he will refund my money and that they will find my drive and fix it. He advised me to call back in 10-15 business days to see if they have any updates on my drive. I tell him this is ridiculous -- that this means the repair will have taken 40 days LONGER than was quoted to me -- but all he can say is "call back." We angrily get off the phone. Ugh.

I'm glad to get the refund -- it's amazing what I had to go through to get it -- but this is still just insane. There is no way someone should have to work this hard to get a repair back. When I got the red rings it was way less painless than this. Oh, and the great part is that the HD-DVD drive died only five days after I got back my Xbox from Microsoft. Good times!
Sounds like you are waaaaay too understanding. Obviously being nice gets you no where.. Just look what it took to get results. I would have done that the second or third time I called when they said I was lying about sending it in..
Old 09-04-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really pleased with my 360 so far, but all these technical failures just amaze me.

It's too common to just be the "vocal minority" thing that is usually associated with the internet. I hope it just isn't a matter of time for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.