Reload this Page >

Official Wii Thread - Part VII

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii Thread - Part VII

Old 10-02-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly. They could easily spend a few million on a new factory and labor to get a new plant up and running just to meet demand, but why? They make money on every wii sold, spending all that dough would negate that profit.

I could buy the conspiracy theory last Christmas, but almost a year in? A year in when Nintendo is selling almost a half million Wii's during the normally dead months of summer? They are churning out and selling two to three times the competition and are still manipulating? I doubt it.

They have sold 11 million in 10 months, or 1.1 million a month which is an insane number, especially since Nintendo goes by actual sales, not shipped like the other two companies. The other two companies by comparison do about 200,000 a month.
Also, the Wii is dependent on components from other manufacturers and if there is a bottleneck anywhere, it slows production down.

That and demand seems to still be huge. According to this, the Wii is outselling the PS3 almost 4-1 in Japan.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180159...stnews;title;2

As an added thought, Nintendo is also focusing on the DS and it is also selling at a very high rate as well. So resources are stretched.

Last edited by Nazgul; 10-02-07 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 03:09 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sierra released a new trailer for Geometry Wars: Galaxies today: http://www.videogametalk.com/news.php

The DS / Wii link looks pretty neat.
Old 10-02-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Is there a way to retrieve your serial number from Nintendo's website? I checked the registration page and it doesn't seem to show it.
It's on the box and on the bottom of the Wii, if you are storing it horizontal. If you registered it when you purchased it, Nintendo CS will have the Serial number on file.
Old 10-02-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone pickup NBA Live 08? I've been trying to play online all day but all I can get is a "Your connection to your opponent has been lost. The session has ended." message. This occurs every time it finds me an opponent. It shouldn't be my router as I've set my Wii to the DMZ after the first few tries. I know pokemon battle revolution works online as the kids were playing it the other day. Anyone have any ideas? Google and EA's support didn't turn up much.
Old 10-02-07, 06:45 PM

From 1up.com
Originally Posted by 1up
Smash Bros. Brawl: Shadow Moses Revealed
Metal Gear Solid setting packs searchlight, familiar faces.
By Andrew Hayward, 10/02/2007
The official Smash Bros. DOJO!! website for Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii was updated today with the first footage of Shadow Moses Island, the stage inspired by the outdoor helipad from the original Metal Gear Solid. Massive, destructable walls border each end of the stage, as seen below:

Producer Masahiro Sakurai's post on the stage notes that "those who aren't skilled at launching foes upward may want to be proactive about attacking" the walls. Additionally, in a bit of appreciated fan service, a searchlight will sweep the stage, with sighted characters displaying the iconic exclamation mark over their heads.

"Oh, and occasionally a Metal Gear will appear from the background," said Sakurai.

Metal Gear Rex and Ray can be seen in their respective images, while Sakurai hinted the appearance of a "slightly newer model," as well. Today's update also includes a handful of video clips that portray comical codec conversations from the game, in which Solid Snake quizzes Otacon, Mei Ling, and Roy Campbell for details on the games many curious participants. On Yoshi, Snake says, "How about I capture one so we can see what they taste like?"

Indeed, that is David Hayter as Solid Snake, reprising the voice acting role he's held since the original Metal Gear Solid. Hayter's participation in Brawl was first revealed over the weekend by Kotaku, which discovered a YouTube comment from Hayter that reportedly confirmed the role. Hayter has since updated his official website with a listing of the role, though a quick viewing of the aforementioned videos should tell MGS fans all they need to know.

The Smash Bros. DOJO!! also plays host to a new introduction video for Snake, which features a codec conversation with Roy Campbell about the iconic status of Mario, along with footage of Snake's abilities and the Shadow Moses Island stage.
Old 10-03-07, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Solid Snake videos on the Smash Bros. website are hilarious.
Old 10-03-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yummy.

Old 10-03-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Indeed.
Old 10-04-07, 12:57 AM

Hey guys... For anyone in the Sacramento area, there were 5 Wiis (well, 4 now - Xmas present for the gf) at the Target on Fulton and Alta Arden -- just sitting there behind the glass case. This was around 9:30pm. I think they close at 10. Might want to make an early morning trip tmw before work if you're looking.
Old 10-04-07, 12:34 PM

Here is a 2 minute clip of the opening sequence from Super Mario Galaxy (Japanese version):

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DN8dzTCjKmc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DN8dzTCjKmc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 10-04-07, 01:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Anyone pickup NBA Live 08? I've been trying to play online all day but all I can get is a "Your connection to your opponent has been lost. The session has ended." message. This occurs every time it finds me an opponent. It shouldn't be my router as I've set my Wii to the DMZ after the first few tries. I know pokemon battle revolution works online as the kids were playing it the other day. Anyone have any ideas? Google and EA's support didn't turn up much.
Can't help you, but how's the game?
Old 10-04-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got a Wii a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I've never owned a console before, so I have fairly limited experience with the "classic" Nintendo characters and games.

With the newer Mario games (Super Paper Mario, the one above, etc), is there backstory that I should be familiar with before jumping in and playing that will help me enjoy it more, or should I not even bother and just dive in?
Old 10-04-07, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jdodd
I just got a Wii a few weeks ago and have been enjoying the hell out of it. I've never owned a console before, so I have fairly limited experience with the "classic" Nintendo characters and games.

With the newer Mario games (Super Paper Mario, the one above, etc), is there backstory that I should be familiar with before jumping in and playing that will help me enjoy it more, or should I not even bother and just dive in?
Princess gets kidnapped by bowser (or some other evil being) and Mario has to traverse dangerous and varied terrains collecting coins, stars, and other helpful items while battling the minions of the evil one in order to save said princess... and sometimes Mario's brother Luigi helps out.
Old 10-04-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
And in Paper Mario a baddie bigger than Bowser shows so Bowser teams up with Mario.
Old 10-04-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The last thing you need to worry about in any Mario game is backstory. Hell, current story barely matters.
Old 10-04-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by C-Mart
Princess gets kidnapped by bowser (or some other evil being) and Mario has to traverse dangerous and varied terrains collecting coins, stars, and other helpful items while battling the minions of the evil one in order to save said princess... and sometimes Mario's brother Luigi helps out.
...run, jump, break bricks, stomp baddies, collect coins and stars, traverse maps by sewer pipes, and sometimes dress in silly costumes...

It's amazing that something that basic and sounds totally ridiculous has become a 20 year career.
Old 10-04-07, 02:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
...run, jump, break bricks, stomp baddies, collect coins and stars, traverse maps by sewer pipes, and sometimes dress in silly costumes...
Run, jump, climb some trees, put on make up when you're up there.
Old 10-04-07, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by co.dot
Can't help you, but how's the game?
The game is very disappointing. Here are a few of the issues that I have found lacking with the game:

*There is no pump fake... WTF kind of bball game has no pump fake??
*no dynasty mode
*no create a player
*using the defensive assist button makes you auto switch players. This occurs even if you turn off auto switch. I'm not sure how they're deciding who to change to but at first I thought they were switching you to the closest player to the ball. I later realized that half the time it'd just change to another player nearby for absolutly no good reason.
*I can't figure out how to pass to someone other than the point guard when inbounding the ball
*There are also many control issues that I do not like. IE how the whole passing system works. It's not as accurate as being able to push a certain button to pass to a certain player like in NBA2k7 on the xbox.
*I have problems stopping and popping off a shot... I usually end up doing a crazy shot that has no chance of going in.
*The dunk contest has been way way oversimplified. You basically just choose a dunk from a list then wave your controller around as directed...

Last edited by Krayzie; 10-04-07 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jdodd

Congrats on getting a Wii and welcome to the club!
Yeah the storyline for the Mario console games really doesn't matter much. But if you want to check it out, Wikipedia.com has a pretty good write-up for all the Mario games:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario

Originally Posted by pinata242
Hell, current story barely matters.
Old 10-04-07, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
For those that think that the Wii is just selling on pure false hype or what not. I went to amazon to see what the most popular video game items were:

Here was the top 10 at amazon in sales rank:

1)Halo 3 (Xbox)
2)Wii
3)LoZ: phantom hour glass (DS)
4)Wii Numchuk
5)Guitar Hero III (Wii)
6)Halo 3 Limited edition (Xbox)
7)Wii remote
8)Wii Charge Station
9)Playstation 3 (60gb)
10)Xbox 360

Not bad for false hype.

Hell false hype is even selling games as well!

And in the top 20, three other games are for the Wii, while there is only one other game for a console (XBox)- Call of Duty 4.

I'm not going to even include how well the DS and its games are doing.

Last edited by superdeluxe; 10-04-07 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-04-07, 06:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm going to assume #1 is actually Halo 3.
Old 10-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm going to assume #1 is actually Halo 3.

Hah. Yes. I will fix
Old 10-04-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Wow. Guitar Hero Wii is outselling the 360 and PS3 versions? Amazing. Good for them.
Old 10-04-07, 07:13 PM

Wow. Guitar Hero Wii is outselling the 360 and PS3 versions? Amazing. Good for them.
People preorder from Amazon instead of directly from Red Octane with free double gig bag/key chain/strap and release date delivery?
Old 10-04-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Wii #5, Xbox360 #41, PS3 #82

I believe.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.