Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Old 07-16-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take the number of consoles in the field, (A), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, (B), then multiply the result by the average repair cost, (C). A times B times C equals X...

If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Old 07-16-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Take the number of consoles in the field, (A), and multiply it by the probable rate of failure, (B), then multiply the result by the average repair cost, (C). A times B times C equals X...

If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.

sounds like someone watched Fight Club a few too many times

/points to nose
Old 07-16-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think PINTO did that too with the exploding cars.....it's a general way of doing business, except in that case they tried to put a dollar value on a human life.
Old 07-16-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
I think PINTO did that too with the exploding cars.....it's a general way of doing business, except in that case they tried to put a dollar value on a human life.
...which isn't the case here. MS will just keep fixing the broken ones at no cost and that will be that. The only problem would be if they still get RRoD failures after the 3-year period. My guess is that they'll just continue to fix those questionable units at no charge regardless of the time frame, just like how Sony fixed my four-year old PS2 without a charge to me.
Old 07-16-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Indeed Ford did a now infamous Cost/Benefit calculation with the Pinto, though I believe they didn't put value on human life, rather how much the average settlement would be. I had to read a book all about it in one of my college law classes but that was almost 6 years ago so my memory is hazy at best.
Funny story, my Dad used to drive a Pinto up until around 1986. Ok maybe it's not a funny story so much as a sad story
Old 07-18-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was reading on CAG that someone had their 360 replaced by an ELITE since it was their 3rd time getting a 360 replaced. I highly doubt it is true, but I would LOVE that, since I am on my 3rd replacement also.
Old 07-18-07, 08:51 AM

Got the email that they received my busted 360 ... 4-6 weeks before I get it back according to he email....crap.

I should call in and tell them I review videogames.
Old 07-18-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, they said they would take special care of me since I was a repeat offender (3rd time to send it in).

No special care, no nothing. I will bitch to get TWO months of LIVE free now (since apparently they give you one).
Old 07-18-07, 02:15 PM

The website states any xboxs will be fixed or replaced 5 working days after receipt of the broken 360. Because they failed this I was able to get a free copy of Kameo.
Old 07-18-07, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptStormy
The website states any xboxs will be fixed or replaced 5 working days after receipt of the broken 360. Because they failed this I was able to get a free copy of Kameo.
Good to know.

<--- filing that little nugget away for when my third unit craps out on me, which might be soon. I keep getting the "dirty disc" error a LOT this week playing the Darkness. It's only left the system tray twice in the two weeks it's been out.
Old 07-18-07, 02:48 PM

maybe i missed this, but has there been any statement about any sort of refund for those who paid to get their 360s fixed? i sent mine in less than a month ago and feel gutted at having to pay that $140...
Old 07-18-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
10 weeks, IIRC. You don't have to call or anything.
Old 07-18-07, 02:54 PM

good to know, and thank you
Old 07-18-07, 02:59 PM

maybe we should post when members start getting refunds so we can keep an eye out for it in our mailboxes?
Old 07-18-07, 03:09 PM
mbs

Can you tell me where it says this? I couldn't find it.

MS has had my 360 since July 6th (when it arrived, according to UPS). I called xbox support today (since I had gotten no e-mail updates) and was told to expect it to take 2-3 more weeks.

They have already greatly exceeded the 5 working days, so I'd like to be able to get something for my time without my console.
Old 07-18-07, 04:25 PM
Suspended

Peter Moore resigns from Microsoft
Posted Jul 17, 2007 at 01:54PM by Ryan C.

Microsoft, Peter Moore, tattoo, Ring of Light, Ring of Death, Robbie Bach First it was Microsoft relenting to the demands of the bereaved many and making the necessary adjustments to its policy regarding fixing consoles with the Red Ring of Death. Then it was Robbie Bach selling off US$6.8 million worth of shares at the height of the Red Ring frenzy.

Now, another stunning development - Peter Moore, Corporate Vice President of the Xbox 360/Internet Entertainment business division of Microsoft, has just been confirmed to have resigned from his position, with former Electronic Arts Inc. President Don Mattrick to take his place. This was the shocker that Microsoft itself announced through a press release.

So what made him go? Before we start pointing fingers at a particular crimson ring of light, it's not the reason at all - or so the announcement says. No, Peter Moore's resigning for personal reasons, deciding to move his family back to the Bay Area.

It seems that he's also secured another opportunity in the video games industry - what opportunity, we don't have any info as of yet.

What about Microsoft? Well, they're certainly sad that he's leaving but they don't seem to be that worried that one of their very staunch supporters - namely, the guy who got a Halo tattoo on his arm - left, as they're looking forward to Don Mattrick's experience and management savvy. Robbie Bach and his thoughts on the matter, verbatim:

Peter has contributed enormously to the games business since joining Microsoft in 2003 and we are sad to see him go...While Peter will certainly be missed, we are delighted to have one of the industry's most talented and passionate veterans on board to lead the business.

While we're certainly relieved that Microsoft's already found a replacement for ol' Peter, we also can't help but wonder how the Xbox 360 will fare without him. Time will only tell. Updates as we get them.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...moore-ea_N.htm
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...xbox_boss.html
http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/07/...med-peter.html
Old 07-18-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have to assume they took that down, because the standard e-mail now says 4-6 weeks. I cannot even register my XBOX 360 on this website, what is the trick?

http://service.xbox.com/servicehome.aspx
Old 07-18-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Already discussed in it's own thread.
Old 07-18-07, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Crap, I think my Elite's DVD drive is busted. It starts to make these nasty noise whenever I put in a game (like it is scratching the disc really bad). Is this a common issue? Mine is an Elite I just got in April too. Bleh.
Old 07-19-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I believe they extended that time due to the shitload of broken units they've been getting. They got mine on 6/22 and I'm supposed to get a fuckin' refurb Thursday 7/19. It sounds like they're so behind they didn't even bother fixing mine and will be giving me a refurb. We'll see....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-19-07 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-19-07, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Heh well technically they'd be refurbing your own too
Old 07-19-07, 09:24 AM

Looks like they removed the references to hiring additional staff and the 5 working day turn around!
I argued with them that all the phone operators gave inconsistant information and no one seemed to know what the other person was doing. If you write names and what was discussed i am sure you can argue points to get something for free. I received my 360 back the same day the 3 year warrenty came public!
Old 07-19-07, 08:40 PM

My serial number has changed on xbox.com

I am guessing that is a good sign...hopefully it won't take too long to ship out.
Old 07-19-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
I got my Refurb today and set it up before I had to leave for work. I didn't have time to pop in a game but I went through the set up and made sure things were to my liking.

By the way, does anyone know where to find an offical MS defintion of a "refurb" as it applies to 360's?
Old 07-20-07, 08:03 AM
Suspended

what the hell do you guys do when you get a refurbished console back don't you lose all your information and saved settings? don't you have to go back and download all the things you had on your system? And how about all those saved games?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.