Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it was a little upsetting when mine broke right before E3. See, I missed stuff I would've liked to try. At least my PS3 is now in my good graces, I enjoy that a lot more now.

Although, I think people DO have a right to bitch at this failure rate....what other products came this close?
Old 07-23-07, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just received my XBox 360 Elite on Thursday and there were issues with the DVD drive. I had to return it to Amazon right away.
Old 07-23-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kiett_2000
I just received my XBox 360 Elite on Thursday and there were issues with the DVD drive. I had to return it to Amazon right away.
Yah this is ridiculous. Mine broke last week and I had to return it and get another (thank god for free).
Old 07-23-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the primary reason I'm holding off on buying a 360 is because of all these issues. And according to that article, I'm not the only one. This is going to bite Microsoft in the ass next generation—everyone will hold off on getting the console unless there's a free three-year warranty up front, and even then...

Last generation I got a GameCube, Xbox, and PlayStation 2, in that order. This time Sony and Microsoft will be swapped, solely because of these kinds of issues. I have more than enough games on all my other systems to last me awhile.
Old 07-23-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure I don't doubt that if you spend this cash on a system and you can't play it multiple times that you have a right to get a little irate. But yeah - pick up a book, go fishing, check out some band you've been wanting to see. Whatever.

Yes it sucks they had a crappy design internally. Yes it's crappy for the company to lose cash on it, and yes it sucks I can't play Catan for a few weeks - but I'll survive.

Take a look at the clouds, it's a show all on its own.
Old 07-23-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Sure I don't doubt that if you spend this cash on a system and you can't play it multiple times that you have a right to get a little irate. But yeah - pick up a book, go fishing, check out some band you've been wanting to see. Whatever.

Yes it sucks they had a crappy design internally. Yes it's crappy for the company to lose cash on it, and yes it sucks I can't play Catan for a few weeks - but I'll survive.

Ah, so it's Microsoft's health plan, to motivate people to exercise.
I tried reading a book, but due to a massive printers error, page 32 was missing.
The band I was going to see cancelled--again.
The fish weren't biting--again. But I shouldn't complain, I guess.
People who are freaking out about not being able to play a game console for a week, yeah, that's a little overboard. People who don't care that a major tech product has a 30% or higher failure rate, that's a little overboard in the other direction. Especially when some people are having to replace their consoles 2, 3, 4, even 12 times--I don't care what the product is, or how much it costs, that's f*ing ridiculous. I do not recall *ever* having to replace anything more than once (unless it was my choice, wrong size/color, etc.). One screwup, ok, mistakes happen, I judge them more on how they make up for it. But multiples, where it damages your other products, consumers *should* react to that. That's unacceptable, and should not be accepted with a shrug of shoulders and "OK microsoft, you just keep on doing what you're doing, I'll give up my 400$ console for three weeks (again) while you tell me there's nothing wrong with it and go watch the clouds."
I don't even have a 360 yet, though it's ordered and waiting at Circuit City for me--however, thanks in part to this thread and the ongoing major problems, I plan on cancelling that order.
Old 07-23-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Ah, so it's Microsoft's health plan, to motivate people to exercise.
I tried reading a book, but due to a massive printers error, page 32 was missing.
The band I was going to see cancelled--again.
The fish weren't biting--again. But I shouldn't complain, I guess.
People who are freaking out about not being able to play a game console for a week, yeah, that's a little overboard. People who don't care that a major tech product has a 30% or higher failure rate, that's a little overboard in the other direction. Especially when some people are having to replace their consoles 2, 3, 4, even 12 times--I don't care what the product is, or how much it costs, that's f*ing ridiculous. I do not recall *ever* having to replace anything more than once (unless it was my choice, wrong size/color, etc.). One screwup, ok, mistakes happen, I judge them more on how they make up for it. But multiples, where it damages your other products, consumers *should* react to that. That's unacceptable, and should not be accepted with a shrug of shoulders and "OK microsoft, you just keep on doing what you're doing, I'll give up my 400$ console for three weeks (again) while you tell me there's nothing wrong with it and go watch the clouds."
I don't even have a 360 yet, though it's ordered and waiting at Circuit City for me--however, thanks in part to this thread and the ongoing major problems, I plan on cancelling that order.
I'm not just shrugging my shoulders and giving them carte blanche - they are responsible for fixing the mess. And in my eyes they are doing just that for each and every person who has the problem. Am I wrong in that? Is this going to bite them in the foot on future sales, you're sure as shit it will. They're already feeling it.

Sure I'm not pleased I have to be without my precious system for a few weeks, but oh well.

What other products is this defective/missing piece of heatsink on the GPU causing? I've seen no TVs getting trashed, no houses burning down? You mean one person having to fix multiple systems?
Old 07-23-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 07-23-07 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-23-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I'm not just shrugging my shoulders and giving them carte blanche - they are responsible for fixing the mess. And in my eyes they are doing just that for each and every person who has the problem. Am I wrong in that? Is this going to bite them in the foot on future sales, you're sure as shit it will. They're already feeling it.

Sure I'm not pleased I have to be without my precious system for a few weeks, but oh well.

What other products is this defective/missing piece of heatsink on the GPU causing? I've seen no TVs getting trashed, no houses burning down? You mean one person having to fix multiple systems?
The tone I'm getting from you (from this thread alone, admittedly) is "Sorry your precious game system broke (sometimes multiple times) due to MS's poor QC; go do something else instead of bitching about it" when if ever a CE product deserves bitching about (although it should be directed to MS in addition to random websites), it's the 360. If I'm misinterpreting your posts, I apologize, but I do get a vibe of, if not "blame the victim", at least "the victim is whining too much."

The other relatively widespread problem that damages other property is that of scratching games, which can cost 15-60$ and apparently MS will only replace their games, for 20.00. More hell was raised about Sony's rootkit scheme, which didn't actually "damage" the user's PC, than is currently being raised about this.
Old 07-23-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're just reading things different than I intend.

However - I am still standing by everything I said. It's a game system. It broke, It's being fixed. Done. If mine gets borked one or two more times, sure I'll be more irate - but I'm not going to get worked into a tizzy about it because of the fact it's an entertainment device. So yeah, I guess you can say I'm saying the victim is whining too much.

Please remember though - everything I say is my own opinion. If you'd rather not head out to golf or watch some tv instead, nothing I can do about it.
Old 07-24-07, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
It's physically leaving blemishes on discs. I'd say this is the 4th one
Sorry, I was talking to Fushi, not you. Too many posts in too short of a period of time.
Old 07-24-07, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You're just reading things different than I intend.

However - I am still standing by everything I said. It's a game system. It broke, It's being fixed. Done. If mine gets borked one or two more times, sure I'll be more irate - but I'm not going to get worked into a tizzy about it because of the fact it's an entertainment device. So yeah, I guess you can say I'm saying the victim is whining too much.

Please remember though - everything I say is my own opinion. If you'd rather not head out to golf or watch some tv instead, nothing I can do about it.
i have a bunch of old Compaq servers and they are in the racks every which way and the CD's are flat or vertical as well, depending on how much room we have for old junk. and i can't remember one time that those cheapo CD-ROM drives ever scratched up a CD

so why can't MS make a $400 system with an optical drive as it's center that doesn't scratch up CD's? it's not rocket science.
Old 07-24-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i have a bunch of old Compaq servers and they are in the racks every which way and the CD's are flat or vertical as well, depending on how much room we have for old junk. and i can't remember one time that those cheapo CD-ROM drives ever scratched up a CD

so why can't MS make a $400 system with an optical drive as it's center that doesn't scratch up CD's? it's not rocket science.
msft isn't the drive manufacturer - they just needed to design things better.
Old 07-24-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

what kind of drive does everyone have that these scratches are coming from.

I know mine is a Hitachi, and it's scratched 4 discs already

if you don't know how to check what drive you have, i could post a pic
Old 07-24-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
what kind of drive does everyone have that these scratches are coming from.

I know mine is a Hitachi, and it's scratched 4 discs already

if you don't know how to check what drive you have, i could post a pic
Yeah post a pic that shows the different ones. I know when they replaced my drive the tray looked different inside so i assumed it was a different manufacturer. It has worked flawlessly since and is much quieter.
Old 07-24-07, 10:34 AM

alrighty then

Old 07-24-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Thanks for the pic, but which one is the faulty drive(s)?
Old 07-24-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My current drive that has been working very well is the Hitachi LG.
Old 07-24-07, 11:53 AM

had a new problem last night. was going to play an hd-dvd in the hd-dvd drive, when i noticed that it wasn't getting any power. i pull out the drive to check the cables, and hear something rattling around inside. i look closer and discover that it's the piece that the ac adapter plugs into; the thing had just broken off somehow, and fallen back into the drive. i have ZERO idea how this happened; i live alone, and i had just watched something the night before. called support: $60 to fix, shipping costs on me. not. fun.
Old 07-24-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by xmiyux
My current drive that has been working very well is the Hitachi LG.
That's the same drive Kurrpt is complaining about scratching his games...
Old 07-24-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by DamingR
Sorry, I was talking to Fushi, not you. Too many posts in too short of a period of time.
Turning the machine off, then inserting the disk the next day and trying to play didn't solve the problem. I returned NCAA 2008 yesterday and got a replacement, so we'll see if it's the disc. The only other game this happened consistently on for me was NCAA 2007, so it's probably shoddy EA games instead of the shoddy 360... or it's just that both games tax the system the same way.
Old 07-24-07, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's the same drive Kurrpt is complaining about scratching his games...

yea, true

but I could have gotten a shoddy one

or

his didn't eat any discs........yet
Old 07-26-07, 04:42 AM
Suspended

Microsoft Xbox 360 Hit With More 'Disc Scratch' Lawsuits

By Paul McDougall
InformationWeek
July 25, 2007 11:20 AM

The legal troubles continue to mount for Microsoft's Xbox 360 video game console. In the past week, two more lawsuits have been filed claiming that the Xbox 360 leaves irreparable scratches on game discs -- bringing the total number of such cases to at least four.

In the most recent action, Los Angeles resident Steve Carlie claims that an Xbox 360 system he purchased in November, 2005 ruined several of his games. In a filing last week in U.S. District Court in Seattle, Carlie stated that "the Xbox 360 frequently scratches game disks rendering them unusable to the consumer."

Carlie said that the problem occurs because the laser drive in the Xbox 360 at times makes contact with the game discs.

A disc replacement program operated by Microsoft is insufficient, Carlie says, because it's limited to games published by Microsoft and the company charges a $20.00 fee for each game. "As of the date of this complaint, Microsoft has not released any form of repair or replacement procedure for the Xbox 360," Carlie adds, in court documents.

Carlie's lawsuit also accuses Microsoft of violating the Washington state Consumer Protection Act.

In another case filed last week, California resident Luis Torres claims an Xbox 360 he purchased in February 2006 ruined his copy of the game Call of Duty II as well as two sports games.

"Microsoft's conduct in selling and marketing Xbox 360s with DVD drives that damage game discs, DVDs and CDs along with Microsoft's failure to disclose the existence of the defect in the DVD drives and Microsoft's failure to repair or replace all Xbox 360s with defective DVD drives is a breach of the implied terms of the product warranty as well as Microsoft's obligation of good faith and fair dealing," Torres alleges in his suit--also filed last week in the U.S. District Court at Seattle.

Earlier this month, similar lawsuits were filed in U.S. District Courts in Southern California and Florida. All four suits are seeking class action status. Responding to the Florida lawsuit, a Microsoft spokesman told InformationWeek that the company has not received a significant number of complaints about scratched discs, despite the fact that "there are millions of Xbox consoles in use."

Some bloggers have suggested that the scratches occur only when the Xbox 360 is moved from the horizontal to the vertical position while in use -- something the Xbox 360 manual specifically warns users not to do. Others, however, report that their games were damaged while the consoles were stationary.

A widespread recall of the Xbox 360 to deal with the problem could impose a big financial hit on Microsoft. Last week, the company said it took a charge against fourth quarter earnings of $1.06 billion to cover the cost of fixing a different problem -- the Xbox 360's tendency to lock up and suffer a general hardware failure.

Microsoft to date has not disclosed any plans for an Xbox 360 recall.
Old 07-26-07, 07:42 AM

o man, that would be sweet if I could recoup the 120+ I'm out for my 360 doing this
Old 07-26-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine is repaired.....should ship soon....yeah....I can finally play some football.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.