Reload this Page >

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Old 09-18-07, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Some of you sound way too old to even consider buying this console. Stick to PCs and high end home theater equipment.
I hope this isn't in response to my post about the purchase of an Xbox360 being an "investment," and that the time and effort it takes to replace detracts from such.

$400 for a purchase is still an investment for the general middle class, young or old. The young, nowadays, seem not to grasp that concept, however.

Anyways, please don't take my non-purchase of an Xbox360 personally. I really would love to, but $400 is just the base cost without factoring in the "opportunity cost" that another poster mentioned earlier.

Now...back to my original question: any one know of any reliability reports of the new HDMI consoles? I really don't want to have to wait for the falcon chip...
Old 09-18-07, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Why would they do a recall? Why not just send new PB's to people like they did with the Original Xbox?
Heres the email

We have recently learned that Microsoft Corporation is taking the precautionary measure of providing its customers with a free retrofit to the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel. The Wheels were manufactured during 2006 - 2007. A component in the Wheel chassis may in rare cases overheat and release smoke when the AC-DC power supply is used to energize the Wheel.

There have been no reported incidences of fire, personal injury or property damage due to the Wheel malfunction. Despite no known safety incidents, Microsoft Corporation is advising customers about this because of their strong commitment to ensuring that their products are safe and perform to their design specifications.

Our records indicate that you have purchased one of the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheels listed in this notification through the Amazon.com website and are therefore affected by this safety notice and retrofit.

Owners of the Xbox 360 Racing Wheel should contact Microsoft toll-free at 1-800-4MY-XBOX to register to receive the retrofit and protect against the potential hazard described above. Owners can also print out the retrofit form by going to:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...elretrofit.htm

Instructions will be provided with the retrofit. Microsoft Corporation is notifying and will be coordinating their response activities with the relevant regulatory agencies as required. This may impact retrofit delivery dates.

Owners of the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel should stop using the AC/DC power supply until they have obtained their retrofit. Owners may continue to operate the Wheel using battery power. While operating in battery mode, the force feedback feature will not be available. Once retrofitted, owners may run the Wheel using AC power and reactivate this feature.

If you purchased this item as a gift for someone, please notify the recipient immediately and provide them with the information on the Microsoft Website concerning these safety issues.

We regret the inconvenience this precautionary measure has caused you but trust you will understand that the safety of our customers is our highest priority.
Old 09-18-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
I thought it was a problem with the wheel itself and not the power supply...

The email seems to state this as well... you are going to install some kind of retrofit kit.. not gonna do that with a power supply.

Probably related to the force feedback which is why you can still use it on batteries as the ff would be disabled.
Old 09-18-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Interesting. Oh well, good luck with the recall.
Old 09-18-07, 08:11 PM

Yea, mine was not rrod'ed. reported it a week-a-go. Still waiting for my coffin! I called today, and MAX told me that my console has been repaired and shipped!! WTF! So I talk to some guy named LEROY and he said sorry of course, our mistake. It looks like your box is in WESLACO? Should be at your house tomorrow. Called UPS, They say that they have been billed but no box has arrived? WOW! Well, I guess I'm just gonna have to have a Scooby snack and chill out
Old 09-19-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kakihara1
dude that's hilarious. Sony should put that right on the box "FREE WEEKLY FIRMWARE UPDATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Agree that the PS3 got a lot of FW updates, but the only one that annoyed the hell out of me is 1.92 to 1.93...
Old 09-19-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by redcat
I feel kind of the same way. I guess mine is on the way back since when I checked my repair status online, it said "no pending repair" and it listed a different serial number for my xbox.
The site is back up now and mine now says no pending repair as well, but still has the same serial number.... so I don't know what to think.

Prior to the site going down for the upgrade it just had a status of Device received....
Old 09-19-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
The site is back up now and mine now says no pending repair as well, but still has the same serial number.... so I don't know what to think.

Prior to the site going down for the upgrade it just had a status of Device received....

What is the link to that site and can you still use it if you already sent you 360 in or will you screw up things by checking it?
Old 09-19-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
What is the link to that site and can you still use it if you already sent you 360 in or will you screw up things by checking it?
https://service.xbox.com/

Can't imagine it would screw up anything, but I guess you never know.
Old 09-19-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
https://service.xbox.com/

Can't imagine it would screw up anything, but I guess you never know.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

If it is similar to what happened to me last week, it means that a 360 was shipped to you. My status went from "Device received" for a week or so straight to "no pending repair"... 3 days later it arrived on my doorstep. Keep in mind that you'll have to sign for it so be on the lookout. You probably won't get an email from MS telling you it shipped.
Old 09-20-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sracer
If it is similar to what happened to me last week, it means that a 360 was shipped to you. My status went from "Device received" for a week or so straight to "no pending repair"... 3 days later it arrived on my doorstep. Keep in mind that you'll have to sign for it so be on the lookout. You probably won't get an email from MS telling you it shipped.
It's funny, as I was reading this, it felt like a UPS truck just pulled up outside... (lights/reflections and sounds) but that would be early for UPS.
Old 09-20-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was a problem with the wheel itself and not the power supply...

The email seems to state this as well... you are going to install some kind of retrofit kit.. not gonna do that with a power supply.

Probably related to the force feedback which is why you can still use it on batteries as the ff would be disabled.
Here is the info from the website : http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...elretrofit.htm

Free Retrofit for Wireless Racing Wheel

Published August 22, 2007

As a precautionary measure, Microsoft Corporation is voluntarily providing its customers with a free retrofit to the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel. The Wheels were manufactured during 2006 - 2007. A component in the Wheel chassis may in rare cases overheat and release smoke when the AC-DC power supply is used to energize the Wheel.

There have been no reported incidences of fire, personal injury or property damage due to the Wheel malfunction. Despite no known safety incidents, we are advising our customers about this because of our strong commitment to ensuring that our products are safe and perform to our design specifications.

Owners of the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel should print out the retrofit form or call Microsoft at 1-800-4MY-XBOX to register to receive the retrofit and protect against the potential hazard described above. Instructions will be provided with the retrofit. We are notifying and will be coordinating our response activities with the relevant regulatory agencies as required. This may impact delivery dates.

Owners of the Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel should stop using the AC/DC power supply until they have obtained their retrofit. Owners may continue to operate the Wheel using battery power. While operating in battery mode, the force feedback feature will not be available. Once retrofitted, owners may run the Wheel using AC power and reactivate this feature.

Get Started Now
If you have a Wireless Racing Wheel, print out the retrofit form, complete it, and fax or send it in. You'll receive information soon from Microsoft regarding your retrofit. In the meantime, only use your Wireless Racing Wheel in battery mode.

For further information and support, please contact 1-800-4MY-XBOX.
Old 09-20-07, 04:58 PM

Received my coffin last night, took 7 days to get! so I pack up my 360,slap on the tape,slap on my ref #, slap on the new shipping label......then I notice....that the repair center in located in McAllen, TX!!!! That is about 18 miles from my house. So I call Microsoft and ask," Since the repair center is right down the street, would it be possible to drive over there and give it to them in person, then they could maybe give me an available refurb or even possibly a new one! Because you know Halo 3 is out next week and I sure would like to have my system back sooner than later?(wishful thinking) The rep said that the service center was not set up with a counter that one could actually talk to a person and exchange systems with. The set up they have is that they only accept systems through UPS.......Bummer. I think I am going to call back later tonight and ask if it would be possible to pick it up there when its ready, instead of waiting a week for my 360 to travel 18 miles!!!....I'm sure THAT is gonna go over well.....
Old 09-21-07, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

MS Muther Fuckers.

So I called a few days ago for repair status and they said "it was taken care of" and that "I should be getting something back any day now". Then i called again today to see If I could get a UPS Tracking number and now the line is, "We received your unit on 9/14 and the techs are looking at it , call back on 9/25 to see the status of your repair". What gives?
Old 09-22-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah.... my status just went back to "Device Received at Service Center"
Old 09-22-07, 02:51 PM

Update on my system....It took a week for the (Empty)box to travel 18 miles to my house, packed the system, took 12 hours to get to service center!!! Now what do I do? Do I call XBOX and hound them about how long it is going to take. Is there any way for the to "know" what is happening to it?.......I'm still eating Scooby Snacks and trying to chill out man, but it is hard, especially on your BDAY weekend and one of your gifts is going to be HALO 3!!!!
Old 09-23-07, 10:59 AM

It's going to take 3-4 weeks according to this post I saw over on the xbox.com forums:

09-04-2007

We are experiencing a temporary increase in the normal turnaround times for console repairs and exchanges.

In North American, the current turnaround time for a repair is 3 to 4 weeks for the complete process. In Europe, the average turnaround time for a console repair is 20 working days. We are working as quickly as we can to remedy the situation. In order for the process to take as little time as possible, we advise you send your console to us as soon as you can, based on the agreed shipping method.
Old 09-23-07, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mine got the 3 red lights on Thursday. I called Xbox support and they are shipping the box. At least I hope they are. The guy I talked to didn't seem to know how anything worked. At first he didn't say they would send a box, only that I needed to ship it to the repair center. After I asked for an address, all he said was "the repair center". I told him I didn't know the address. He then took a minute, came back and said they send me a box. He also kept trying to repeat stuff back to me before I finished talking. He was driving me crazy. I think I'll be calling back to make sure the box is coming to the correct address.
Old 09-23-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghym
Mine got the 3 red lights on Thursday. I called Xbox support and they are shipping the box. At least I hope they are. The guy I talked to didn't seem to know how anything worked. At first he didn't say they would send a box, only that I needed to ship it to the repair center. After I asked for an address, all he said was "the repair center". I told him I didn't know the address. He then took a minute, came back and said they send me a box. He also kept trying to repeat stuff back to me before I finished talking. He was driving me crazy. I think I'll be calling back to make sure the box is coming to the correct address.
For future reference... or for those yet to experience the RROD, try submitting the warranty claim/repair request through the xbox website. I was able to and the whole process from submitting the request to receiving my replacement unit was as painless as possible.
Old 09-23-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done that online last Friday after struggle with my phone call connect with them (I used the TDD device). I have not heard from them about it, I wonder how long does the online process takes.
Old 09-23-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I did mine online on 09/03 (Labor Day Holiday) and received the box on 09/07.
Old 09-23-07, 02:15 PM

My box took a week to get to me, and the repair center is only 18 miles away!! So good luck......anyway, does anyone know how to check the status of your repair? or is it gonna be a run-a-round every time I call?.....Thanks
Old 09-23-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The box = coffin?
Old 09-23-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
yes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.