Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Microsoft Surprisingly Admits That ALL Xbox 360s Are Defective

Old 08-31-07, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UncleGramps
So I got my 360 back today. New serial number, with a date of August 2007 on the back. Hooked it up and started the initial setup. I went to update my router with the new MAC address, and when I got back into the living room, I saw the familiar checkerboard pattern on the screen. I rebooted and got the RROD...again. I tried a few more reboots, even without the HDD, and it's definitely busted. So my new 360 lasted all of 5 minutes.

I'm about to request a new repair through the service site. I'm glad I have a backup console.
I am almost afraid to get mine back after hearing that. BTW how long was your 360 gone? Mine has been showing Device Received at Service Center forever it seems.
Old 08-31-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Yikes, that's crazy. Haven't had any problems with the new 360 I recieved last week.

My 360 was gone for about 2 weeks at the "recieved at service center" message on the webpage before I got the new one back.
Old 08-31-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by 1998Nole
I am almost afraid to get mine back after hearing that. BTW how long was your 360 gone? Mine has been showing Device Received at Service Center forever it seems.
I'm thinking it's just a fluke since it appears to be a brand new console. I haven't heard any other stories like this, so hopefully yours will work without any issues.

It took almost exactly 4 weeks from calling in the repair request to getting it back. Without looking at the dates, I'd say it was at Device Received for about a week or so, then suddenly my old serial number was gone and a new one was there. Then a few days later I got the shipping notice.
Old 08-31-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sucks bad, Gramps. Hopefully you'll be able to get some priority attention and not have to suck up another 4 weeks or so on your time...
Old 08-31-07, 09:56 PM

It took almost exactly 4 weeks from calling in the repair request to getting it back. Without looking at the dates, I'd say it was at Device Received for about a week or so, then suddenly my old serial number was gone and a new one was there. Then a few days later I got the shipping notice.
It will be 3 weeks Sunday for me, It has been "received" for 10 days so hopefully I will get a new serial # soon.

Have you called MS yet, if so will they rush the box and repair?
Old 08-31-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Honestly, it's not that big a deal for me. I have a 2nd 360 that's working fine, so this is more of an annoyance for me than anything else. After calling in the repair for the first one, I'd rather do everything through the service site rather than over the phone, even if it means I can't complain to an actual person. If the next one they send me actually works, I might just sell it and keep my 2nd 360, since I can always just exchange that one at Costco if it red-rings rather than go through MS. One concern though - if I sell it to someone else, can they use my warranty if they have a problem with it down the line, or are they just out of luck?
Old 08-31-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
They can use it.
Old 09-01-07, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
They can use it.
Nice, thanks for the info. Another question, in case anyone knows this: when you get a refurb/replacement console, does the three-year RROD warranty start over again from the day you get it back, or is it only three years from the date you bought your original 360?
Old 09-01-07, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 136 Likes on 105 Posts
Only from the date you bought it.
Old 09-01-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
It's been hot here in LA so I've been playin' the hell out of my refurb in hopes of the RRD so I can get them to send me a new one with HDMI.
Old 09-01-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Only from the date you bought it.
Thanks, that's good to know in case I sell mine.
Old 09-01-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dear Xbox Repair Customer:

Upon further review of internal repair data, it has come to our attention that the Xbox 360 console you previously returned for repair is qualified for a free repair. Attached is a check reimburse you for this matter.
This is for the unit I sent in 6 months ago that had a bad optical drive.
Old 09-01-07, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my refund check arrived today (automatically)
Old 09-02-07, 01:34 AM
Suspended

Recently manufactured Xbox 360 bricked after 20 minutes
Posted Aug 31, 2007 at 07:23PM by Isaac C.

It was a bad day for Andru Edwards from PlayFeed. After getting a replacement for his bricked Xbox 360 console, his new one got the Red Rings of Doom after 20 minutes of play. He claims that the new console was manufactured on August 15 of this year, which suggests that the new line of consoles may still be having problems dealing with the red ring problem.

Edwards' first Xbox 360 got the red rings and he received a brand new replacement about three weeks later. After playing the Fatal Inertia demo for 10 minutes, Edwards moved on to Stranglehold where the new 360 froze in the opening sequence. When he manually reset the console, the red rings appeared.

Edwards expressed his dissatisfaction with Microsoft's service. He even cited an interview with Peter Moore who addressed the issue during E3. The question Moore was presented with was: " [...] Are you guaranteeing or insuring that the systems that are rolling off the assembly lines now and the systems that will be returned to consumers will be fixed properly this time?" Moore answered, saying:

Yeah. I mean, nothing is perfect, guys. [...] I can't guarantee everyone in the world that we go fix one thing and then something else [won't] happen. No I'd be stupid to make that guarantee. But I feel very, very good about the quality of hardware now. You guys know this, every day in the factories where we are building these and where we are learning more about it. [...] You're constantly tweaking, moving parts around, you’re renegotiating with suppliers because your goal is to continuously raise the quality of the box, and bring the price down.

Edwards also posted some pictures to back up his claim that the new console he received was indeed manufactured on August.
http://games.gearlive.com/playfeed/a...-doom-problem/
Old 09-02-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the thing bricked after 20 minutes of play, that would hardly suggest that it's the same problem as before.
Old 09-02-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's been hot here in LA so I've been playin' the hell out of my refurb in hopes of the RROD so I can get them to send me a new one with HDMI.

I was half kidding in this post but then this morning BOO-YAH!!!! I turned on my 360 this morning and got the RROD(3 rings right?)!!! I can't even say I'm upset about it because I knew my "Fuckin' Refurb" that I've only had since JULY would bite it sooner or later.

This after reading an interview with Shane Kim CVP of MS Game Studios in the September issue Gameinformer this morning. His last answer was some bullshit about "Restoring consumer confidence in the hardware". Yeah well good luck with that one bitch.

So I'm off to call MS for my 2nd replacement and 3rd 360. Please Gawd at least let them give me one with HDMI....Maybe I'll get a free game time.

EDIT: SHIT! That's weird, as I was typing this I had it on. Then i turned it off and for shits and giggles i turned it back on and it booted up fine. This after 2 RROD displays. I'm guessing it's still on its last leg...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-02-07 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-02-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
EDIT: SHIT! That's weird, as I was typing this I had it on. Then i turned it off and for shits and giggles i turned it back on and it booted up fine. This after 2 RROD displays. I'm guessing it's still on its last leg...
That's what my first one did as it was making its last stand. It would work, but only for 5 or 10 minutes before the video would lock up. Then it would red ring again. I think once you get an initial video lockup or your first RROD, it's only a matter of hours or days before it bites the dust for good.
Old 09-02-07, 02:09 PM

I didn't read the entire thread so this may have been covered but:

Can anyone tell me if they are replacing games that are deemed "unreadable" because the console scratched them? I know many people have had this problem.

I'm on my 2nd (store-bought) copy of NCAA '08 and would like to get a replacement game for the 1st (Tiger Woods maybe?)

Would they swap me another title being that I bought another copy of the original game?

Who would I go to for this? EA or Microsoft?

Also am I covered for console repair for the scratching problem even without the RROD?
Old 09-02-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's what my first one did as it was making its last stand. It would work, but only for 5 or 10 minutes before the video would lock up. Then it would red ring again. I think once you get an initial video lockup or your first RROD, it's only a matter of hours or days before it bites the dust for good.
Yeah I was able to get a few hours of play out of it and when I just now turned it off it RROD'd for the 3rd or 4th time. The RROD is blinking at me right now saying "Fuck you consumer".

Good thing I saved my original coffin....

I called and I'm getting a free copy of "Viva Pinata" for my troubles. I also have to deal with some nonsense about them not transferring my Service Warranty or some silly shit like that after I get back whatever replacement unit they send me.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-02-07 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-02-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGodfather
I didn't read the entire thread so this may have been covered but:

Can anyone tell me if they are replacing games that are deemed "unreadable" because the console scratched them? I know many people have had this problem.

I'm on my 2nd (store-bought) copy of NCAA '08 and would like to get a replacement game for the 1st (Tiger Woods maybe?)

Would they swap me another title being that I bought another copy of the original game?

Who would I go to for this? EA or Microsoft?

Also am I covered for console repair for the scratching problem even without the RROD?
MS will only replace MS-published games. You would get the same game title, not a different title.

Last time I checked, EA will replace their discs, but not for free (or cheap).

Scratching discs wouldn't be covered by the three-year warranty, but should be covered by the one-year warranty.
Old 09-02-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts
I hate Microsoft with a passion. I got the refurb Xbox back on Friday and got around to setting it up this morning. The dashboard worked fine and I went to play Nascar 08 it wanted to install an update in order to play it. Updated and now it won't update and just stays on the "Unable to update screen"

The best advise they could give me was to "take the hard drive to a Gamestop or something like that and see if you can try it on one of there machines." Guess I'll try that but I think I'm going to be sending back the console as well a the hard drive this time.
Old 09-03-07, 06:20 PM

I am assuming I will be getting a refurbished unit back. I finally got a new SN but when I click review the reapair status it has a tracking number for a box that was delivered 8/16/07 to Cleveland, OH. I hope it is the site acting up but looks like a refurbished unit for me hopefully they did a good job fixing it.
Old 09-04-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ran by CC with a friend yesterday where he snapped this picture. I had a good chuckle.

Old 09-04-07, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do wonder what kind of ventilation they get in those clear plastic casings. They run a lot of hours so I wouldn't be surprised if this is somewhat common. And yes, sadly funny.
Old 09-04-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah I've seen that in stores too. You can't help but laugh.

Also, the original XBOX's held in store displays used to RROD too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.