Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New Slim PSP: Will you be getting one?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you be getting the new slim PSP?
I don't currently have a PSP and I will be getting this new one!
11.45%
I currently own a PSP but I'm still buying the new one!
10.69%
I don't currently own a PSP and I'm not getting this new one
35.88%
I currently own a PSP, I don't see a need to get this new one
26.72%
I'm still undecided
15.27%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

New Slim PSP: Will you be getting one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by taffer
Nope, not getting one. I never have been a portable gamer.
I'm in the same boat.

= J
Old 07-13-07, 12:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
There isn't a price hike.

The OP's price is wrong. The $199 is for a bundle (either SW bundle or "Entertainment" bundle), the unit itself is still $169.
Based on some of Sony's other pricing blunders, I wasn't sure.
Old 07-13-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 725 Likes on 530 Posts
I won the PSP I have now so maybe I'd buy the new one.
Old 07-13-07, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
There isn't a price hike.

The OP's price is wrong. The $199 is for a bundle (either SW bundle or "Entertainment" bundle), the unit itself is still $169.

Ah, OK. Still, even though I'm much more inclined to buy one now, I'll probably still wait a little more anyway and see if any more games I like come out for it.
Old 07-13-07, 12:41 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The new features are interesting but not enough to get me to upgrade.
Old 07-13-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am interested, it now seems to have quite a few games worth getting. I'm still not totally sold, if the price dropped again I would be more intrigued. I'm just not sure I would have time to play my ds + gba games (still catching up)and a psp.
Old 07-13-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PSP core system should be $149.99. I really not into star wars game & i already had Daxter why not gimme the Core system for lowest price. Oh well, i'll get one on Black Friday if it goes down $100- $130. If not i'll wait till 2008.
Old 07-13-07, 05:22 PM

maybe i'm still on the fence on portable gaming, i had a GBA SP and it came in handy on some road trips but like some, i'm not big on portable gaming. if i was to get one i would lean towards a DS lite though for the innovative games like Brain Age and Nintendogs.
Old 07-13-07, 11:21 PM
Suspended

E3: Movie Downloads Coming 'Really Soon' To PS3, PSP

In an interview with Gamasutra, senior VP of marketing for PlayStation Peter Dille told Gamasutra that a direct download movie service for PSP and PS3 will be coming very soon, and that the company is actively working on the service. The comment was framed within a discussion of the PSP's new form factor.

"I think what might convince (people who haven’t picked up a PSP) would be the advent of a service that allows them to put content onto the PSP in an easier fashion," said Dille. "There’s been a lot of speculation about when we’ll offer our video download service on PSP or PS3, and I think that could be more of a killer application to get people off the fence."

Commenting about when we might see something, Dille said, "We didn’t have any announcements about that at the show, but what I can tell you is we’re working on it, we see that it’s critical, not just for PSP but also for PS3, and it’s something we know is super important to get right."

"We won’t have a second chance to make a first impression," Dille confessed, "If we launch it and it’s not right, we’re going to get creamed. So we want to make sure we get the consumer experience right, get the right content, and we’re working really hard on it. And I don’t think we’re talking about years, I think this is something
Something nice to look foreward to for future/past PSP users
Old 07-15-07, 01:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Had one for a week, sold it. Was thinking that I might do it for movies someday, but now I think I'll go the iphone route.
Old 07-15-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I just wish I had grabbed some of the $5 UMDs during the EB sale. The TV out will be a nice feature for movies.
Old 07-16-07, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
I just wish I had grabbed some of the $5 UMDs during the EB sale. The TV out will be a nice feature for movies.

that is my thought- good for trips.

I probably will buy the new one just for that feature plus the extra battery time.
Old 07-16-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

if i can do everything I can do on my old one, most definitely
Old 07-16-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not much of a portable gamer, but there are quite a few games I'm interested in. With the addition of TV Out, I might go out and pick one up. However, I'll wait for some reviews to see how that looks first. Also, I don't know how much play they'll get anyways. I mean, I still have Odin Sphere sitting unplayed in the living room as well as a bunch of other games.
Old 07-16-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
if i can do everything I can do on my old one, most definitely
The old accessories won't work with it. I've recently got a Nyko Theater Expierence that I'll have to toss when this comes out. But as far as function, it should do everything the old one does, plus longer battery and shorter load times (at least on new games). You can use older batteries, but would have to get a different battery cover.

oh yeah, they did take out the IR port, but that was never used for anything, so no big loss there.

Last edited by Decker; 07-16-07 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-16-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I will once the price drops again.
Old 07-16-07, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Nope, not getting one. I never have been a portable gamer.
My DS rarely sees the outside world, so I guess I'm a "portable at home" gamer. I'll consider getting the new PSP as long as the homebrew option is still there.
Old 07-17-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am actually considering the new slim PSP, mainly because I have enough in gift cards that I can probably pick one up at no cost to myself. I already own a DS Lite though, so technically I don't need a slim PSP in addition, but it is very tempting. Ironically enough, I am mainly interested in the quirkier/puzzler PSP titles, like WTF, Loco Roco, Every Extend Extra, and Gunpey.
Old 07-17-07, 10:43 AM

id look into lumines 1 and 2 as well
Old 07-17-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
id look into lumines 1 and 2 as well
Any other recommendations? I took a look over lunch and saw some others that look attractive: Metal Slug Anthology, Me and My Katamari, Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Basically I am looking for unique games on the PSP and games to fill the genre void of the DS. Also looking for some old-school 2-D PSP fighters, but it looks like Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max and Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower are out-of-print.

And, of course, if I do opt for the slim PSP, I'd be picking up the PSP version of games like the upcoming Lego Star Wars Saga for the improved graphics.

(sorry, don't mean to derail the thread)

Last edited by Yavin; 07-17-07 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 06:01 PM

I hear Crush is awesome, but I haven't picked it up yet. I like Mercury Meltdown; it's a cool puzzle game. Tekken 5 DR is an awesome fighting game, if you can get used to the d-pad which is a little tricky -- maybe the new one on the redesigned PSP is better. I'm a big Ratchet & Clank fan and think they did an amazing job in bringing the franchise to the PSP; except for the racing levels, the game is amazingly fun. I like that Marvel UA game, but it's the same game that's on every home console ever made -- still it's quite playable on the PSP and has online stat tracking to boot. Stay away from Katamari though, I thought the controls sucked on that one.
Old 07-17-07, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm tempted to get one just for the puzzle games and things like Crush. But I would wait for yet another price drop.
Old 07-18-07, 01:39 AM

Oh, Lordy! Check out what our Japanese friends can get : The Crisis Core 10th Anniversary of Final Fantasy VII PSP! Limited to 77,777 units. It is SO sweet. File that right next to the Homer 360 as items that will be selling for insane bucks on ebay.

...and all we get is an ugly Darth Vader silkscreen on the back of ours. Life is so unfair.
Old 07-18-07, 08:03 AM

I was a huge fan of Me & My Katamari, and it REALLY got me into the series as a whole. The controls aren't as good as they are for the PS2, but it's easily playable.

Killzone is surprisingly decent.

GTA Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories are great if you like that sort of thing.

If you like hack-n-slash games the Untold Legends series is good.

SOCOM 1 & 2 are great for online play. Headset is pretty nice too

If you want a fighting game get Tekken DR. Fantastic. I would get SFA over Dalkstalkers for sure (if that's what you want)

Ace Combat is another title that stands out. I was never into it before, but for great this is on the PSP, I think it's definitely worth a look
Old 07-18-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the recommendations! So far my list of games to get to go along with the new slim redesign are:

- LocoRoco
- Killzone: Liberation
- Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
- Wipeout Pure
- Metal Gear Acid
- Gunpey
- Ultimate Ghosts n' Goblins
- Me and My Katamari (if I can find it)
- Traxxpad: Portable Studio (eventually)
- Tekken: Dark Resurrection (eventually)
- Marvel Ultimate Alliance (eventually)

Last edited by Yavin; 07-19-07 at 01:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.