DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/506208-help-me-choose-ps3-xbox-360-a.html)

PixyJunket 07-12-07 12:26 PM

Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360

Okay, next week I'll be back in the HDTV game, this time in 1080p. I need something to use on the TV this time. I'm listing my personal and current pros/cons for the two gaming systems. Please list some more if possible and help sway me to one or the other.

Playstation 3 Pros:
Fresh Price Drop
Blu-Ray
Upconverts SD-DVDs
Upconverts PS1/PS2 Games
Promising Software Future (?)
Pending Removal of EE Chip

Playstation 3 Cons:
Abysmal Library
Still Expensive
Will Not Play (and upconvert) My Import PS1/PS2 Games

Xbox 360 Pros:
Decent Library
Upconverts OG Xbox Games
HD-DVD (at an added cost and through component)

Xbox 360 Cons:
It Will Break (but it'll be covered)
Pending Price Drop
Pending HDMI Port
Pending 65nm Chips
Questionable Software Future (?)
Added Cost to Make it Wireless

KurrptSenate 07-12-07 12:27 PM

not sure if its still going on..

but best buy had an AMAZING deal on HDTVs + PS3s :/

Fandango 07-12-07 12:28 PM

I think the solution for you is to buy a Japanese PS3 if you want to play your imported PS1/PS2 games. Japan is the same region for Bluray as NA, however you won't be able to watch R1 DVD's on it.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fandango
I think the solution for you is to buy a Japanese PS3 if you want to play your imported PS1/PS2 games. Japan is the same region for Bluray as NA, however you won't be able to watch R1 DVD's on it.

I have many, many more US PS1/PS2 games, so that's not a good option. ;)

KurrptSenate 07-12-07 12:32 PM

i really couldn't see me taking advantage of the BD feature for quite some time. in that case, I don't think it would influence me at this point.

getting 6 free BDs would be nice, but I'd probably sell them to diffuse some of the cost.

I suppose, then, it all comes down to game library, or how many games you feel are "must haves" when you make the initial purchase

taffer 07-12-07 12:33 PM

I think you would probably enjoy the PS3 more since it will get more of the Japanese type games you like.

You always said that the Xbox was your least favorite console last gen, so I highly doubt the 360 is going to appeal to you that much.

Liver&Onions 07-12-07 12:36 PM

Base some of it on controller feel too. I prefer the 360 controller over the Sixaxis - which means any multi system game I get will be on teh 360.

rfduncan 07-12-07 12:36 PM

A Wii? ;)

fumanstan 07-12-07 12:37 PM

I'd say PS3 too, based on the games you seem to like, but how many are those are even on the horizon right now?

The 360 is a hard buy right now too, especially if you're the type of person that will have buyer's remorse knowing that all those things you listed are coming down the pipe. If you don't care though, I think all the Live Arcade games out right now would give you the most satisfaction right now.

DVD Josh 07-12-07 12:38 PM

Not sure why if the PS3 is expensive the 360 is not.

Michael Corvin 07-12-07 12:44 PM

It's all about gaming. Ignore your list for a minute. Which system has the games? The 360 has the library now. The PS3 has some cool things coming, but it's still far from lighting it up.

As for everyone drooling over these 5 free movies, have you seen the list of movies? There's like one decent one out of the bunch. Free shit is still shit.

The only general con between the two is the warranty requirement on the 360. Even at that, I don't know if I would drop $500-$600 on a PS3 without protecting my investment either.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not sure why if the PS3 is expensive the 360 is not.

Yeah, I thought I had listed that on both to be honest. Though, once the 360 price drop happens, the gap will be a little different.. of course, I'm looking for instant gratification, so moot point I guess.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd say PS3 too, based on the games you seem to like, but how many are those are even on the horizon right now?

Exactly. There's not any. The 360 has more JRPGs coming and the Wii seems to be absorbing most of the other Japanese stuff I had been enjoying on the PS2. I'll be honest, I'll probably end up with all three systems again at some point.

Michael Corvin 07-12-07 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Base some of it on controller feel too. I prefer the 360 controller over the Sixaxis - which means any multi system game I get will be on teh 360.

Not to mention, so far, every port up to the release of The Darkness has been reviewed quite a bit lower than the 360 counterpart.

What kinds of games do you like Pixy?

KurrptSenate 07-12-07 12:48 PM

i think oblivion was rated better too....no?

Jtnguyen12 07-12-07 12:49 PM

I recommanded Wii :)

To be honest i still waiting for 65nm chip xbox360 and hope it release later this year with price drop. I really don't see any game i wanted for PS3 at this time unless you are crazy for BLUERAY DVD if not wait till Fall 2008 or early 2009.

Save Ferris 07-12-07 12:49 PM

I dont see how the 360 has a questionable software future.

McHawkson 07-12-07 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Xbox 360 Pros:
Decent Library
Upconverts OG Xbox Games
HD-DVD (at an added cost and through component)

To add 360 Pro: Live! Marketplace/multiplayer games are far superior than PS3.

Speaking of wireless network, if you happened to have hard line (instead of wireless), you can just plug it in - no need to have wireless to access online.

Save Ferris 07-12-07 12:53 PM

BTW, if you really want an upconverting DVD player, Id opt for the OPPO out there that upconverts (with a remote code entry) via component and not only hdmi. Region free DVDs, DVDRs etc lots better than other upconverters out there--all for $150 even.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
It's all about gaming. Ignore your list for a minute. Which system has the games? The 360 has the library now. The PS3 has some cool things coming, but it's still far from lighting it up.

Yeah, if it was just games, the Xbox 360 would win easily. Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Beautiful Katamari, Culdcept Saga, Fable 2, Kameo, Dead Rising, Ninja Gaiden 2, Project Gotham Racing 4.. all (?) exclusive. Not to mention Live Arcade. Playstation 3? Crickets.. no wait, Final Fantasy XIII Versus.. which is when? 2010? But I'm interested in the PS3 for its ancillary features I listed, which is what's making the decision a little harder.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I dont see how the 360 has a questionable software future.

That was based on my experience with the OG Xbox.. started off with some good stuff and then just fell flat (for me).

PixyJunket 07-12-07 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by McHawkson
To add 360 Pro: Live! Marketplace/multiplayer games are far superior than PS3.

Speaking of wireless network, if you happened to have hard line (instead of wireless), you can just plug it in - no need to have wireless to access online.

Online multiplayer isn't something I'd probably use enough to pay for it. Agree on the Live Arcade games though. As for wireless, my setup is really dictating that it would probably be needed unless I want to run a wire from my bed rooming, across three walls in the dining room and across three walls in the living room.

Michael Corvin 07-12-07 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
i think oblivion was rated better too....no?

Actually not according to game rankings. Neither did the Darkness. Those are the two that offer similar rankings on both systems though instead of substantially lower ones for the PS3 version.

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Yeah, if it was just games, the Xbox 360 would win easily. Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata, Beautiful Katamari, Culdcept Saga, Fable 2, Kameo, Dead Rising, Ninja Gaiden 2, Project Gotham Racing 4.. all (?) exclusive. Not to mention Live Arcade. Playstation 3? Crickets.. no wait, Final Fantasy XIII Versus.. which is when? 2010? But I'm interested in the PS3 for its ancillary features I listed, which is what's making the decision a little harder.

Problem solved?

Don't let Sony bully you into deciding on a gaming system because of a format war. Choose your gaming system for games.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What kinds of games do you like Pixy?

A little bit of everything, though a lot less of the "Western" style games.

Save Ferris 07-12-07 01:00 PM

If / when a decent blu ray player comes out at around $300 (this christmas?), there will be hardly any need for me to get a PS3

Draven 07-12-07 01:06 PM

The only reason I'd buy a PS3 is if I wanted a Blu-ray player, which to me is a bad reason to buy a video game system.

I think you'd get the most enjoyment out of a 360, with both the upcoming lineup, some of the current games and the Xbox Live Arcade.