Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-07, 04:41 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Why would it seem that way to you? I thought nearly all but a few of the cases in our forum were RROD .
The 360 thread indicated a few cases of video-related problems. And I thought there was a quote about them becoming more frequent.

Perhaps I'm wrong though. It just seemed like there were a fair number of non-RROD problems.
Old 07-12-07, 04:46 PM
mbs

Originally Posted by HN
I think there's something wrong with the way you're doing your percentages.
I'm just assuming 30% fail every 20 months. If 1/3 of all consoles fail every 20 months, it would take 60 months for all consoles to fail. You could factor in percentage that fail more than once, but that would get overly complicated.

I didn't mean to start this long discussion on this... I just wanted to add that you should expect your 360 to fail during its life and for that to be factored in.

My 360 dying is the one huge negative I have against it. I love the games (particularly XBLA), controller, HD-DVD drive (assuming you bought the 360 for gaming, the drive is a cheap entry to HD-DVD versus an additional set top player) and many other aspects.
Old 07-12-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say wait.
Old 07-12-07, 04:54 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
I'm just assuming 30% fail every 20 months. If 1/3 of all consoles fail every 20 months, it would take 60 months for all consoles to fail. You could factor in percentage that fail more than once, but that would get overly complicated.

You are using flawed logic. Just because 1/3 fail in 20 months, doesn't mean that the existing 2/3 will fail in 3 times the length. The 2/3 that do not fail, may not fail for another 10 years because they were built solidly.
Old 07-12-07, 04:54 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
i see. you're not taking into account units sold after the 20 months.

100 sold in first 20 months.
30 fail
=30% failure

in the next 20 months, 30 more fail (of those first 100), giving 60% failure.
in the next 20 months after that, 30 more fail (of the first 100), giving 90% failure.

sorry about the sidetrack, back to helping PixyJ
Old 07-12-07, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey and The Last Remnant are coming as well.
The Last Remnant will be multi-platform. Eternal Sonata looks pretty good and you get a pretty cool faceplate for your 360 if you pre-order it. I may have to do that!

It's a tough call, man -- You can't go wrong with either console. I have both and funny enough I'm using my PS3 more than my 360 right now but that will probably change when Blue Dragon and Mass Effect come out. If you're going to be watching HD movies, playing games and going online then I would save the $150-200 and get a PS3.
Old 07-12-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

PS3... go for the best...
Old 07-12-07, 06:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is the easiest way to decide.

At the end of the day, you want a system that will allow you to play the most games, right? I mean, movies are great (I've got three games for my PS3 and literally dozens of Blu-ray movies), but these are GAMING consoles and I know that you, Pixy, are a gamer.

Now, both systems are getting a lot of multi-platform games. Go ahead and take these out of the equation. The minor differences between the PS3 version of a game and the 360 version of a game aren't enough, in my mind, to make you buy one system over the other (although since I own both I usually go for the 360 version for my own personal reasons). Now, take a look at the planned exclusives. Not at the quantity of them, but look at the ones that appeal the most to you. If it seems the PS3 will have more games you will want than the 360, get a PS3. If the 360 looks like it will have more games you will want than the PS3, get a 360.

Knowing your tastes, it will probably be hard to resist Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and The Last Remnant. But are there other games of interest to you for the PS3?

If you want a PS3, strike while the iron is hot. If you want a 360, you might want to wait till the fall for the new chips. If this is about instant gratification, and you don't mind it when the 360 with the 65nm chips come out, then get one now and don't worry about it.

Personally, I use my 360 for gaming a lot more than my PS3. I like the controller more, I like achievements, I dig Xbox Live way more than the Playstation Network. But if I only owned a PS3, I'd have a lot more games for it and would be using it a lot more. So it's kind of a toss up. Maybe BD is enough of a draw to push you to the PS3. But I'd say make it about the games, because that's what these consoles are meant to be about in the first place.
Old 07-12-07, 06:38 PM

As always, if you have to ask others what to buy, buy nothing. There's no pressing time limit. Wait until you get a clear craving for one over the other.

(From the way this thread developed [before wacky internet reliability surveys were brought in], it seems like you're leaning in the 360 direction because of games. Nobody but you knows whether the importance of Blu-ray movies can overcome that.)

-------

By the way, somebody mentioned EA Sports games as running at twice the FPS on the 360. That may very well be true (although I only remember personally reading that about NCAA and Madden Football), but it's not just EA.

2k's All-Pro Football 2k8 also runs at 60fps only on 360.
Old 07-12-07, 06:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You know, the PS3 cell processor is really freakin' powerful. I can't understand why these game developers cannot take advantage of that to make a game with a steady 60 fps. Ninja Gaiden Sigma runs at that and it looks amazing. My guess it's that EA is developing for the 360 and then making some cheap cuts to make a port on the PS3. But there's no reason that 30 fps should be the standard for PS3 games.
Old 07-12-07, 06:53 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

why should NOW be the time to get a PS3 if hes going to get one? The price drop isnt a limited time only kind of thing. If he wants a PS3 for gaming, why not wait till the games he wants for it are out?
Old 07-12-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
why should NOW be the time to get a PS3 if hes going to get one? The price drop isnt a limited time only kind of thing. If he wants a PS3 for gaming, why not wait till the games he wants for it are out?
That was my advice. I see no reason to buy a PS3 yet... and the 360 doesn't have enough of the games he wants yet -- and a possible price drop is still on the horizon.
Old 07-12-07, 06:58 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

places like best buy and CC give you the price difference if you buy the console within 30 days of a price change right? I know they did with my digital camera.
Old 07-12-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For gaming, wait until next year and if you can't wait buy a 360 now. For blu ray playback, buy the PS3 now. Here's my take on it:

PS3 worth $499?
Old 07-12-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I dunno why people keep bring up the 1st party 360 wireless adapter, when a cheap 3rd party will work just as well if not better.

Posters have covered a lot of ground but lets look at the controllers. I've played some resistance on the sixaxis, and these analog sticks are still flimsy and low fidelity (feels worse than the original xbox sticks). So if you going to be playing games that benefit from accurate analog control (admittedly mainly FPS games), then you won't want to be playing these on the PS3.

To take the other angle, well I think we know that a 360 price drop and hardware refresh is definitely in the pipeline. And, I agree, if you can only own one, then based on game library, it has to be the 360 (position of 360 and PS3 is almost reversed to that of the PS2 and Xbox last gen). But, are you seriously only going to ever own 1 console? If you know you will definitely buy both anyway, then it wouldn't hurt to buy the PS3 now, and then pick up the cheaper redesigned (internally) 360 next year. All those incredible '07 360 games will still be there, but cheaper. And of course, try and hold off on those cross platform titles where the 360 version is notably better.

For me, I'm trying to hold off on both until future price drops and hardware revisions, but it's pretty difficult.
Old 07-12-07, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You know, the PS3 cell processor is really freakin' powerful.
I forwarded your post to EA. I'm sure now they've been enlighted by your superior understanding of the cell processor and multi core processing, they'll be able to make all their games run at 60fps. ....
Old 07-12-07, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had a 360 since last november and it is the best system I have ever owned.
Old 07-12-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You know, the PS3 cell processor is really freakin' powerful. I can't understand why these game developers cannot take advantage of that to make a game with a steady 60 fps. Ninja Gaiden Sigma runs at that and it looks amazing. My guess it's that EA is developing for the 360 and then making some cheap cuts to make a port on the PS3. But there's no reason that 30 fps should be the standard for PS3 games.
It is faster for them to design it for 360 and then do a quick port to PS3. Designing the game to use the cell costs money since it will take effort to change all that extra code in the port. The PS3 is suffering the same way the Xbox did last gen when it had to survive all the PS2 ports.

Games can easily look and run better if the effort is put in. Oblivion and Unreal Tournament 3 not to mention some of the 1st party Sony games prove this. Sony has to sell enough units though for companies like EA to increase the development costs.
Old 07-12-07, 09:23 PM
Banned

Get a PS3.

XBox Live sounds cool on paper but it's really lame because of too many cheaters and kids. Plus douchebag achievements hunters.
Old 07-12-07, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
PS3... go for the best...
Undisputable logic right there.

Originally Posted by darkside
It is faster for them to design it for 360 and then do a quick port to PS3. Designing the game to use the cell costs money since it will take effort to change all that extra code in the port. The PS3 is suffering the same way the Xbox did last gen when it had to survive all the PS2 ports.

Games can easily look and run better if the effort is put in. Oblivion and Unreal Tournament 3 not to mention some of the 1st party Sony games prove this. Sony has to sell enough units though for companies like EA to increase the development costs.
Exactly. As long as MS maintains the lead it has, it will always be the lead SKU. The rare exceptions being companies or designers totally loyal to Sony like Kojima or Jaffe. Why spend more developing on the machine with a third of the user base when they can spend less, get it done faster and sell 2-3 times the amount of copies. Sound familiar? Yeah, same argument for the PS2 and Xbox but the tables have turned.

I love people saying to strike while the iron is hot on the PS3. What's so hot? 2-3 must have titles right now after 9 months on the shelves? Come on. I can see the position of waiting on the 360 because of the new chip, but recommending the PS3 just because of the price drop is kinda silly. I'd just like to remind everyone that the PS3 was $500 dollars 9 months ago. Was the iron hot then too?

I can appreciate wanting a cheap next gen HD player as much as the next guy, but honestly, how many nights are you going to watch movies? Now how many nights do you typically game? Which number is larger? Can you maintain watching that many movies a week while waiting for the games that interest you on the PS3 to arrive? What will it be like reading all these threads on DVDtalk, discussing the missed gaming opportunities of Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, etc. you could have had? Peer pressure is a bitch.
Old 07-12-07, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Again, i recommend the PS3. It has everything going for it, vs the 1-way path of the old xbox which shows itself over and over. 360 might have a few JRPG's, but even the HOME of JRPG's has shunned them. If the japanese wont even play them, what does that say? Anyhow, i would be expecting to see most of these RPG's on the PS3 as well because of how insanely poor they will sell in the US (they are already failures in japan), and the Xbox demographic is FPS people.

You know tho, it is all up to you. If you really want to play the games on the 360 right now, do it. Live is awesome, but costs you $$$ year after year for what the ps3 does for free. You also have excellent backwards compatability on the PS3, and the best is when you get Guitar Hero 3 for PS3 with the bluetooth wireless guitar, you can buy Guitar Hero 1, 2 and 80's on the PS2 and play them wirelessly perfectly on the PS3. Its a huge benefit vs being raped by Xbox Live to download the songs in overpriced packs and still miss tons of songs.

360 is a great system, however it is heavily flawed in many ways. We're almost 2 years into the life of the system, and the system is STILL dominated by FPS games, sports games and racing games. And that will not be changing anytime soon.

Or you can gamble on how much downtime you will have with a 360. Dont get me wrong, 360 has great games, and a good controller... But.. THATS IT. Oh and xbox live is so awesome, because everytime i would go online with gears of war, i'd hear a pre-mature 12 year old kid cussing at the top of his lungs and hearing "p0wnage" all the time, since of course, the service is all about quality.
Old 07-12-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Get a PS3.

XBox Live sounds cool on paper but it's really lame because of too many cheaters and kids. Plus douchebag achievements hunters.
This puzzles me. Does the free Sony network where you can change usernames easily and for free somehow have more mature players?

Xbox Live sounds cool on paper because if you are into online gaming at all on a console it is cool. If online gaming doesn't interest you then the Live thing wouldn't be a big deal. Cheaters, yeah you have them in some games but it is improving - especially with the feedback system and the increase in bannings.

What exactly is a douchebag achievement hunter? Someone playing the game incorrectly for an achievement? Personally achievements were a genius move on MS's part. It encourages the Pokemon phenomenon where many people feel like "Gotta catch em all." I know achievements alone are a reason i would buy a multiplatform game on the 360 first, and i'm not super obsessed with the things.

While there is plenty to trash the 360 over - imo Live isn't one of those things and is arguably the strongest thing the system has.
Old 07-12-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by QuePaso

You know tho, it is all up to you. If you really want to play the games on the 360 right now, do it. Live is awesome, but costs you $$$ year after year for what the ps3 does for free.

Oh and xbox live is so awesome, because everytime i would go online with gears of war, i'd hear a pre-mature 12 year old kid cussing at the top of his lungs and hearing "p0wnage" all the time, since of course, the service is all about quality.
Hrm, the Sony network lets you play for free online but it doesn't have all the features the Live service has so try to at least acknowledge that bit.

As for the kids, you are right, thankfully a little feedback takes care of it. That and a decent friends list. Although if you don't have many online friends then yes, the Live service would be less appealing because the general public is dumb. Thankfully i have a nice full friends list and don't run into those issues much at all (well once Martin cleaned up his act). I assume the Sony network has a unified friends list across games that lets you play with people other than the common asshats?
Old 07-12-07, 10:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Dont get me wrong, 360 has great games, and a good controller... But.. THATS IT.
You make it sound like that is the bad thing. For the vast majority of the gaming population, having great games and a good controller are top priorities with everything else a distant second. Most people don't care about multimedia capabilities; if they did, the Wii would not be selling like hotcakes.

Oh and xbox live is so awesome, because everytime i would go online with gears of war, i'd hear a pre-mature 12 year old kid cussing at the top of his lungs and hearing "p0wnage" all the time, since of course, the service is all about quality.
PS3's Home won't be any different. Kids, fanboys, and morons are everywhere. There is no escaping them. Resistance is futile.
Old 07-12-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As a sidenote taffer, everytime i see your username my brain reads taffly. I think i played entirely too much Viva Pinata.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.