Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360

Old 07-12-07, 02:29 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Havent some developers warned that the framerate will be less on the PS3 versions than the 360 versions? I cant remember which game that announcement was for.
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
how is that ridiculous?

obviously more games appeal to him on one console than the other
He was stating it as if it were fact not opinion.

Last edited by Setzer; 07-12-07 at 02:34 PM.
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
I would not suggest a 360. Not right now, anyway. Very poor hardware, no HDMI port standard, unable to upgrade hard drive at your conviniance, wireless network is 100 dollars, to play online is 60/year, the fact that you WILL have your system out of order for weeks at a time is unacceptable, most games are western based titles, even Kameo feels US made and not like a great japanese styled game.

The whole argument falls apart when there are three fallacies in the first paragraph alone:

- Wireless adapter can be had for under $100

- Rare is a UK devloper which might explain Kameo's lack of a Japanese feel.

- Xbox Live is $50 a year, not $60 and can be had even cheaper, and more so every now and again based on deals. I love how $4 a month is such a barrier/argument for some. I think it should be cheaper now that Sony offers free, but arguing about $4 a month is pretty bunk.
Old 07-12-07, 02:31 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by Setzer

360:

Halo 3
Gears of War 2

Hmm thats the only two exciting games coming out this year?
Old 07-12-07, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Havent some developers warned that the framerate will be less on the PS3 versions than the 360 versions? I cant remember which game that announcement was for.
Multiple games. EA's entire '08 sports lineup.

*edit - this thread is going south, quick. And we were all playing nice during the conferences.
Old 07-12-07, 02:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Hmm thats the only two exciting games coming out this year?
Re-read what I posted before replying. Thanks.
Old 07-12-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuff
Really there is no comparison in my opinion 360 is the only option.

Let's just concentrate on the facts:
-PS3 has and is losing exclusives left and right, 360 has to the best of my knowledge lost none of its exclusives. This is a clear and direct indication that the game developers are very, very leery of ps3. This also means that future support of the ps3 will simply not be there unless something drastic changes.
To me this is the main reason to go with the 360. It has a definite games advantage and Sony is a long way from catching up. However, this is only if Western games are important to you. I still see the PS3 having the majority of the quirky Japanese games I like. I'm not a big shooter or sports gamer so the 360 has little to offer me.
-Online support, 360 has a huge advantage here with XBL.
And they charge you $60 a year to enjoy it. Home and PSN looks great and the online is free on PS3 with many games having dedicated servers.
-Downloadable HD movies again 360 wins here.
Sony will have this and it will be transferable to a PSP for portable use. Where is the damn Zune support from MS?
-Games on both platforms are, across the board, *better* on the 360 or at worst the same. If you check the game review sites for comparisions (gamespy/spot etc) the only game you will find that looks better on the ps3 is oblivion and that is because the graphics were re-done for it, if/whenever that code is ported to the 360 it disappears.
-PS3 games compared to 360 games frequently have framerate problems.
This is all very true. If a game is made for 360 first and ported it will not use Cell the way its designed and you can expect shitty framerates by too much being put on the RSX. With the 360 being the dominate console in the West you can expect a lot of bad ports for it.

Opinions:
-The 360 controller is fantastic, just pick up the ps3 one and it feels horrible.
I prefer the 360 controller, but the sixaxis is very light and much better than previous versions. I agree the 360 is the best overall. I use it on my PC.
-The only negative about the 360 is reliability and now you get 3 years on the warranty.
Hardly the only negative. How about the high cost to match the PS3 features. You can get a PS3 right now for $499 and get a free controller and 5 free movies. To get a comparable 360 with HD movies, HDMI and Wi-fi you are going to spend over $700. Add on that wonderful $60 a year for Live and you see the reason I don't own one. Also the three year warranty does not excuse just how unreliable the 360 is. Why buy something guaranteed to fail?
-The only "advantages" the ps3 has you can get with the 360 as well (hdmi, hd movies, etc) if you want them...the difference is of course you are not forced to purchase them if you do not want them.
Lets not forget you are getting a big drive to add on, crippled HDMI (forget about Dolby TrueHD), the loudest console in the universe running while you watch movies and compatibility issues galore than MS is slow to fix with firmware updates. Again if HD movies are a major consideration you should get the PS3.
-PS3's "backwards" compatability for ps1/2 is worse than hooking up a ps1/2 why would you ever want to use this?
This might be true when they drop the emotion engine, but its in there now and the PS3 is an amazing upscaling PS1/2 machine. The only games that don't run correctly are ones that also have trouble on the current slim PS2. It runs 99% of the game you would probably want to play very well.

We have beaten this topic to death, but clearly the 360 is a great choice if you love the catalog of games. The PS3 is the better hardware though, more affordable if you want HD movies and Wi-fi and will probably end up in the long run having a better variety of games than the Western heavy 360 lineup.

Last edited by darkside; 07-12-07 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 02:38 PM
Suspended

Pixy, in your case, I would say PS3. I got a PS3 recently and have been playing it quite a bit (mostly sports games). I also have 10 Blurays that I throughly enjoy. The 5 free Blurays have a $100 value if you decided to sell them off instead of keeping them.

Besides the fact that the hardware is still suspect for the 360 right now, we pretty much know that there will be a price drop pending. If you plan on buying right now, I'd go PS3 and use the Bluray player with its dvd upconversion until you get more games that you want. I highly doubt that there will be another PS3 price drop within he next 12 months. The 360 price drop will probably coincide with the better hardware coming out.

For the record, I had a 360 and while I enjoyed it, and love the controllers and Xbox live better, but I sold it after it broke the 1st time and I don't regret selling it. I will get another one soon after the new chips come out.

Last edited by gimmepilotwings; 07-12-07 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-12-07, 02:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Re-read what I posted before replying. Thanks.
Im sorry if I insulted you in my haste. I thought it seemed weird that you would point out 'sequels only' when he was mentioning 'best outlook' for upcoming games.

Looking at games overall, the 360 has a better lineup THIS YEAR and its far from certain that the PS3 will have a better lineup by feb. 08
Old 07-12-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Disagree. Both Sony and MS have a solid line-up of games coming, to say one is better than the other, right now, is ridiculous. If you wanted to give an edge based solely on sequels then I would give that edge to the PS3.

PS3:

Final Fantasy XIII
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ratchet & Clank
God of War 3

360:

Halo 3
Gears of War 2
Ok lets now base it on all games that are coming out, not just sequels.

Xbox wins.

Depends on what you're going to use your console for.

Gaming Only - 360 is cheaper
Gaming/HD movies/Wi-Fi - PS3 is cheaper
Xbox plus Wi-Fi is still cheaper than any Ps3 availible.

If you are looking for a blu-ray player, than yes Ps3 is cheaper.

Preference. If you like your controller to vibrate then it's a plus.
I've never met a person who prefers no-rumble capability at all over rumble.

Home hasn't even gone live yet and you're already declaring it not as good as Xbox Live.
Well I guess the fact that I can use xbox live right now makes it better

Seriously though, the current online thing for ps3 is very weak. I don't think its the home thing but whatever it is, its no xbox live.
Old 07-12-07, 02:41 PM

well, obviously anything is better than nothing, so how could you not compare M$'s online service to PS3, even if its non-existant.

you sound like a fan-boy for sure
Old 07-12-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkside
And they charge you $60 a year to enjoy it. Home and PSN looks great and the online is free on PS3 with many games having dedicated servers.

Xbox live is $50 people.

Without a deal or coupons that is $4.16 a month. Hardly break the bank material.
Old 07-12-07, 02:45 PM

0r, you could just get the camera bundle on ebay for about 35 bucks, get a USB camera, and 2 XBLA games for free
Old 07-12-07, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
0r, you could just get the camera bundle on ebay for about 35 bucks, get a USB camera, and 2 XBLA games for free
yep, its pretty much the only way to go for XBL. It is pretty much half price that way.
Old 07-12-07, 02:47 PM

most definitely

should have purchased 2 or more
Old 07-12-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Xbox live is $50 people.

Without a deal or coupons that is $4.16 a month. Hardly break the bank material.
Still money that could be spent elsewhere. Sorry, but I think the cost of Live has to be added into the cost of ownership. If it is worth it then by all means pay it, but it has to be factored in to the 5-6 year cost of owning the console.
Old 07-12-07, 02:51 PM

i'd say that's only true for 60% of the 360 owners, considering the other 40% doesnt use live

also, silver live memberships are free. really depends what you want to get out of it
Old 07-12-07, 02:51 PM
Suspended

Still money that could be spent elsewhere. Sorry, but I think the cost of Live has to be added into the cost of ownership. If it is worth it then by all means pay it, but it has to be factored in to the 5-6 year cost of owning the console.
Sure, but if we do that, we'd better figure in friends lists on XBL vs. PS, the ability to actually find matches on XBL etc, and determine a monetary value for that.
Old 07-12-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

factor in that feedback system and the ability to mute/block anyone you want and never play them again.

As xmiyu pointed out in another thread. The $4 is basically insurance to keep the ass monkeys from just creating new accounts at their leisure and fucking up your games at their will. Does it keep all the ass monkeys out? No, but I'm sure that barrier to entry helps quite a bit.

At anyrate:

If you want games, you want a 360. If you want a movie machine you want a PS3.
Old 07-12-07, 02:53 PM

obviously, you are getting a premium for the cost, and considering how many millions of people are on XBL, i think they would agree
Old 07-12-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

C'mon, let's not start this.. I just wanted advice on what would be better FOR ME as the first toy for my HDTV.
Old 07-12-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
C'mon, let's not start this.. I just wanted advice on what would be better FOR ME as the first toy for my HDTV.
Then you want insight/comcast HD and Discovery HD. I hear that Planet Earth is the bees knees.
Old 07-12-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
While one could directly correlate wireless options, HD movie options (to a point) and other features, Live and PSN are NOT comparable. It's not like PSN gives you for free what Live gives you for $50.
Old 07-12-07, 02:56 PM

they are both online services for a game console. how could they NOT be comparable

thats like saying I can't compare hondas to toyotas
Old 07-12-07, 02:59 PM
mbs

I have a 360 and just recently ordered a PS3. I really like my 360, but you do need to ask yourself whether you are willing to go (on average) a month a year without it while it is being repaired.

If you are willing to wait a month a year with no games and no HD movies, then the 360 is a great choice. I really like the XBLA, controller but the downtime sucks. Your 360 will break and you will be without it. Just make sure you are okay with that.

It probably isn't a coincidence that I bought a PS3 during a period where my 360 is getting repaired. I used my 360 for HD-DVDs and now find that a mistake (given how flakey the console is). For HD movies, the PS3 would be my clear choice (and will be in the future) since it seems a lot more stable than the 360.

But anyway, for games alone, I would go with the 360. Provided you are okay going without your system for about a month every year.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.