DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/506208-help-me-choose-ps3-xbox-360-a.html)

Setzer 07-12-07 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Not sure why if the PS3 is expensive the 360 is not.

Exactly. If you're going to use your console for watching Hi-def movies then I would go with the PS3 and get the deal Amazon has going right now. You get the PS3 for $499 and they give you 6 Blu-Ray movie(5 of your choice) and the Blu-Ray remote for free. Sweet deal. Wish I would have waited. The games are coming so I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of games to play.

If you go the 360 route then you're going to end up spending $400 on the console and $200 on the HD-DVD add on drive. And if you plan on wanting to do any online stuff then tack on another $100 for the wireless adapter.

If you're only going to use the console for gaming alone then I would get a 360 because you have a better choice of games right now and you'd get enjoyment immediately out of the box. Plus, Blue Dragon comes out next month!(Can't wait to play it! :) )

It's a tough choice but if you're going to watch HD movies and play games, the PS3 is the way to go, imo.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
The only reason I'd buy a PS3 is if I wanted a Blu-ray player, which to me is a bad reason to buy a video game system.

I'd be buying it as a Blu-Ray player. So, I guess I should specify.. should I go for the movies or for the games? Right now if I get a PS3 for the Blu-Ray player, the Xbox is going to drop in price soon and get HDMI (important for the HD-DVD drive?) and the cooler chips. I think that's what I'm getting at, movies (and PS1/PS) = PS3, HD games = Xbox 360.

Setzer 07-12-07 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I'd be buying it as a Blu-Ray player. So, I guess I should specify.. should I go for the movies or for the games? Right now if I get a PS3 for the Blu-Ray player, the Xbox is going to drop in price soon and get HDMI (important for the HD-DVD drive?) and the cooler chips. I think that's what I'm getting at, movies (and PS1/PS) = PS3, HD games = Xbox 360.

I think only the Elite has HDMI support and I don't think MS is going to be lowering the price of it any time soon. If anything they'll lower the Core and Premium packages by $100 this Fall.

taffer 07-12-07 01:15 PM

I don't think MS will drop the price this year either. If they were, they would have done so at E3 as a counterattack to the PS3 drop. Their big hitting games, Halo 3, Bioshock, Mass Effect all hit this fall so that will keep sales up through the holiday shopping season. I wouldn't expect a price drop until after Christmas now.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Setzer
I think only the Elite has HDMI support and I don't think MS is going to be lowering the price of it any time soon. If anything they'll lower the Core and Premium packages by $100 this Fall.

The premium is getting HDMI soon.. the Halo 3 LE is a premium with HDMI, for starters, just.. ugly.

DJ_Longfellow 07-12-07 01:19 PM

I think both system are pretty darn good.

PS3
- No games as of yet that are RAELLY great (except MLB 07 is by far the better baseball game)
- Blu-Ray is nice if you are jumping to a 1080p TV.
- Built in WiFi if you need it.

- Sucks when it breaks....sending mine in for the third time, so I'm a little annoyed with the whole 360 thing now.
- Controller is better IMO. Thus, all cross-platform games I go with the 360 (supposedly they run better...NCAA 08 60fps on 360, while 30fps on PS3).
- Downloadable HD movies (nice if you want to spend the points on them)

DealMan 07-12-07 01:33 PM

I'd go with the 360

XavierMike 07-12-07 01:35 PM

What % of yourvtime do spend watching movies vs. playing games?

darkside 07-12-07 01:36 PM

If HD movies are really a factor for you I would go with the PS3. If it is strictly about games go with the console that covers that better.

If you do plan on going with the 360 and the HD DVD drive know what you are getting. The HD forum still has a lot of people with problems playing certain discs and know that the HDMI in the 360 is crippled. The 360 does not have the ability to decode TrueHD and it can't pass the signal either. So with the 360 you will not be able to take advantage of the HD audio. DD+ will be it.

Nuff 07-12-07 01:41 PM

Really there is no comparison in my opinion 360 is the only option.

Let's just concentrate on the facts:
-PS3 has and is losing exclusives left and right, 360 has to the best of my knowledge lost none of its exclusives. This is a clear and direct indication that the game developers are very, very leery of ps3. This also means that future support of the ps3 will simply not be there unless something drastic changes.
-Online support, 360 has a huge advantage here with XBL.
-Downloadable HD movies again 360 wins here.
-Games on both platforms are, across the board, *better* on the 360 or at worst the same. If you check the game review sites for comparisions (gamespy/spot etc) the only game you will find that looks better on the ps3 is oblivion and that is because the graphics were re-done for it, if/whenever that code is ported to the 360 it disappears.
-PS3 games compared to 360 games frequently have framerate problems.

Opinions:
-The 360 controller is fantastic, just pick up the ps3 one and it feels horrible.
-The only negative about the 360 is reliability and now you get 3 years on the warranty.
-The only "advantages" the ps3 has you can get with the 360 as well (hdmi, hd movies, etc) if you want them...the difference is of course you are not forced to purchase them if you do not want them.
-PS3's "backwards" compatability for ps1/2 is worse than hooking up a ps1/2 why would you ever want to use this?

Again though, look at point #1... the ps3 is losing exclusives because it is a *huge* failure so far with no signs of improvement. Buying a ps3 at this point is just plain silly unless you desperately want to play FF sometime next year...assuming that actually stays exclusive.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 01:41 PM

Ugh.. I just thought of something, my DS and Wii are wireless via the Nintendo adapter, so I guess having to pay for wireless on the 360 would be a double. In that case, I might just deal with a 100' cable (barf).

Also, a friend of mine has had a long standing offer that if I get a 360, he'll buy me copies of Rumble Roses XX and Dead or Alive 4 (so that he can play them).

KurrptSenate 07-12-07 01:43 PM

both those games are super cheap nowadays too

DJ_Longfellow 07-12-07 01:44 PM

I ran a 50 or 100' Ethernet cable and that is fine...you just have to run it clean. I went through my basement, then into a crawl space where there was an addition on my house. Works fine, but I know that is not an option for everyone. This was for my 360. PS3 is wireless still :)

Save Ferris 07-12-07 01:53 PM

Ugh.. I just thought of something, my DS and Wii are wireless via the Nintendo adapter, so I guess having to pay for wireless on the 360 would be a double. In that case, I might just deal with a 100' cable (barf).

I dont understand this part. You just realized you'd have to pay for a wireless adapter for the 360?

I know the 360 adapters are much less than $100 online these days...

ChrisHicks 07-12-07 01:54 PM

I say your easiest bet is to get both. that way you don't have to choose. :)

PS: you might as well toss in a Wii too just in case. :)

mbs 07-12-07 01:58 PM

The premium is getting HDMI soon..

From everything I have read, this is just speculation. MS hasn't said anything about adding HDMI to any models outside of the Elite and Halo Edition.

PixyJunket 07-12-07 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I dont understand this part. You just realized you'd have to pay for a wireless adapter for the 360?

I know the 360 adapters are much less than $100 online these days...

Er, no. I'd have to buy that AND a wireless router. I was under the assumption I was wireless ready and then I remembered that all that's been through the Nintendo WFC adapter my girlfriend bought when she was still in college.

RyoHazuki 07-12-07 02:04 PM

Xbox 360.

Its current game line-up is way way way better than PS3.

Its future game line-up is better than PS3.

Its cheaper.

Rumble controllers.

Xbox Live > Ps Home or whatever their internet is

I can't really think of a reason to buy a PS3 over a 360, especially if you plan to buy one soon. I guess I'm lucky but my xbox hasnt had any problems in the past 7 months. The game selection really makes it a no brainer. By christmas you could have played Gears of War, Crackdown, Splinter Cell DA, Assasin's Creed, BioShock, Mass Effect, Lost Odessy, and Overlord. You won't touch a single one of those games with a PS3.

Also if Microsoft can pull their head outta their ass and start offering HD movies to dl permanently, you won't even want a blu-ray player.

QuePaso 07-12-07 02:04 PM

I would not suggest a 360. Not right now, anyway. Very poor hardware, no HDMI port standard, unable to upgrade hard drive at your conviniance, wireless network is 100 dollars, to play online is 60/year, the fact that you WILL have your system out of order for weeks at a time is unacceptable, most games are western based titles, even Kameo feels US made and not like a great japanese styled game.

Honestly, the #1 reason to get a 360 IMO is for Gears of War online. If that is not your main concern, i would definitely go with a ps3. Upscaling DVDs to 1080p, Upscaling PS1/PS2 to 1080p, built in web browser, FREE online gaming, much better hardware, and a ton of fantastic games due out soon. If you arent die hard about western style games, i would definitely not get a 360 till the hardware revision and a price drop and hdmi standard on all players. You know they are all coming, so why lock yourself into the inferior hardware?

Not to mention blu-ray absolutely rocks, and unlike the 360, you have the ability to get uncompressed HD Audio from the PS3, which is impossible to get from the 360 regardless of the version (the Elite HDMI 360 can not and never will pass HD Audio, bad hardware design and not enough bandwidth to do it).

I am biased since i had enough broken 360s from my buddys to last me a life time. My PS3 is rock solid and quiet as heck. Really happy with it and you being a lover of japanese gaming, i am sure you will be too. The PS1/PS2 upscaled backlog is just amazing!

BlackCapTen 07-12-07 02:14 PM

I am also thinking about getting one of the new systems. Surprisingly, I'm leaning towards a PS3 now (was seriously considering a 360).

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll ask here. For those with a PS3, what are two or three "must have" games as of right now (or coming out in the next month). I am not a hard-core gamer and not really into sports games much though I'll probably rent a few at some point. Any other games are fine. Elder Scrolls looks good to me. Any other comments/suggestions? I have the original xbox and loved playing Knights of the Old Republic if that helps.

taffer 07-12-07 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by QuePaso
most games are western based titles, even Kameo feels US made and not like a great japanese styled game.

Kameo feels like a western developed game because it is a western developed game. It was made by Rare.

wewantflair 07-12-07 02:15 PM

As an owner of both, if you actually want to play games instead of staring at a very beautiful and shiny knick-knack, I'd get a 360.

RichC2 07-12-07 02:18 PM

If you skipped the PS2, go with the PS3. Great back library, though the benefit from the upscaling is amazingly minimal.

If not, get a 360, and if needs be, sell it when the PS3 starts getting some actual software. Additionally, the 360 upscales DVDs via VGA and HDMI ports. The 360 right now has a more promising lineup of games, though I do agree it is currently more of a western system, there are numerous Japanese-style games (which lately have been focusing squarely on the quirky over the gameplay, and it's sadly winning people over, but ah well) lined up. The PS3 has a lot of sequels and knock offs lined up, and quite frankly, they aren't generating a lot of excitement for me.

I do agree that the PS3 will ultimately be the superior piece of equipment when programmers start figuring out how to do stuff with it, but in the now and for what looks like the next at least 12 months, the 360 is the way to go. I'll likely introduce a PS3 into my entertainment center when there are some tempting titles available.

However, if you're looking for a Bluray player, it works out pretty well. I'm personally sick of all the tactics from both ends of that spectrum.

My big issue right now is, simply, I'm sick of sequels. Mass Effect and BioShock can't get here soon enough.

Setzer 07-12-07 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki
Xbox 360.
Its current game line-up is way way way better than PS3.

Agreed.

Its future game line-up is better than PS3.

Disagree. Both Sony and MS have a solid line-up of games coming, to say one is better than the other, right now, is ridiculous. If you wanted to give an edge based solely on sequels then I would give that edge to the PS3.

PS3:

Final Fantasy XIII
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ratchet & Clank
God of War 3

360:

Halo 3
Gears of War 2

Its cheaper.

Depends on what you're going to use your console for.

Gaming Only - 360 is cheaper
Gaming/HD movies/Wi-Fi - PS3 is cheaper

Rumble controllers.

Preference. If you like your controller to vibrate then it's a plus.

Xbox Live > Ps Home or whatever their internet is

Home hasn't even gone live yet and you're already declaring it not as good as Xbox Live. :rolleyes:

KurrptSenate 07-12-07 02:26 PM

how is that ridiculous?

obviously more games appeal to him on one console than the other