DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/506208-help-me-choose-ps3-xbox-360-a.html)

Michael Corvin 07-18-07 12:46 PM

how often do you load up those demos? They are free and can be re-downloaded at any time. Especially convenient now with the low power d/l mode.

cerial442 07-18-07 12:58 PM

I guess I'm too lazy to redownload. :)

Sometimes I play them, or if I have someone over to check out a game.

The Bus 07-18-07 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Yeah, most demos are at least 1 GB these days. What is the point of keeping demos after trying them out once or twice though? If you like the demo, you will probably buy the full game and then you won't need the demo any more.

It takes more than a great demo to make me spend $60 on a game. :lol:

taffer 07-18-07 01:17 PM

Even if you don't buy the full game right away, how often do you really replay a demo? Most demos are at most a single level or two, and it gets very old replaying the same thing over and over again.

tonyc3742 07-18-07 01:18 PM

Don't suppose you can 'backup' the demos (assuming they're free to download in the first place) onto an external drive?
When I was more into PC gaming I definitely kept some demos around-I didn't like the game enough to buy it, but I did like it enough to play for half an hour every couple weeks. Others I deleted in five minutes or so.
Does downloadable content (other than movies, which it sounds are time based) expire? In other words, if I downloaded Demo A on Jan 20, will it still be there to download again in July?

KurrptSenate 07-18-07 01:22 PM

i played the crap out of the crackdown demo, as well as the forza 2 demo

i know a ton of people played the crap out of the Tony Hawk demo that came out way back when from Pizza Hut

Michael Corvin 07-18-07 01:26 PM

I don't think there has been a single demo removed from the Marketplace since its inception. The only instance is if a demo is too buggy, then it goes down, but those are few and far between.

KurrptSenate 07-18-07 01:28 PM

i think if you've ever found yourself re-downloading a demo, it's time to make a purchase :)

Save Ferris 07-18-07 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
HDMI on the 360 is useless other than cable convenience.

Unless you're using the HD-DVD drive and you want your HD-DVDs in 1080p

PixyJunket 07-18-07 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Save Ferris

Isn't that only when (or if) studios start using HDCP? Secondly, the $80 extra for the Elite plus the $200 for the HD-DVD add on gets you a stand-alone player that does things the 360 drive never will like pass HD audio formats.

GreenMonkey 07-18-07 02:05 PM

For the price difference of the elite ($80+) and the HD-DVD drive ($200) you could pretty much buy a Toshiba HD-A2 which is a much better (and quieter) HD-DVD player.

edit: posted at the same time as Pixy

Save Ferris 07-18-07 02:43 PM

I have an HD-DVD player add on now with my premium 360 but my current TV doesnt have HDMI

Im going to get an Elite for the 1080p instead of buy a whole new standalone HD-DVD player for the 15 or so titles Ive purchased over the last year. The Elite makes sense to me.

pinata242 07-18-07 02:47 PM

Can't you do HD-DVDs at 1080p over the VGA? Get the cable and at worst a VGA-DVI adapter, if that's what your TV does have.

Save Ferris 07-18-07 02:51 PM

yes thats an option but the TV im looking at doesnt accept 1080p over anythng BUT the HDMI

That might change around christmastime when im getting a tv.

Basically i want a LCOS system.

pinata242 07-18-07 02:55 PM

Ah, I thought you were planning on getting 1080p on your "current TV [that] doesn't have HDMI". I didn't read any previous posts in case you already addressed that.

GreenMonkey 07-19-07 04:10 PM

I have an HD-DVD player add on now with my premium 360 but my current TV doesnt have HDMI

Im going to get an Elite for the 1080p instead of buy a whole new standalone HD-DVD player for the 15 or so titles Ive purchased over the last year. The Elite makes sense to me.

After you lose some money selling the premium 360 you have now, and buy the elite, you're looking at at least $100-$150 out of pocket.

You'd be better off selling the HD-DVD drive (I got $150 on ebay) and buying a Toshiba A2 for $250 (= out of pocket cost: $100).

BTW: The difference between 1080i output and 1080p output is highly debateable. You'll get pretty much the same image either way. Most sets properly re-interlace 1080i to 1080p properly.