Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Help Me Choose: PS3 or Xbox 360

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-07, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, I've got a few more names to add when I get home.

Originally Posted by RichC2
So what are your initial impressions?
So far, so good. I bought it mostly to have something, anything, in HD for my new TV. I was a bit worried that there would be a lack of software for me as was the case with the OG Xbox (after the wave of EXCELLENT Sega titles), but after a few minutes on Live Arcade I think that fear was put to rest. Plus, half a dozen or so JPRGs (whether they are good or not) is half a dozen more than the OG Xbox had, so that's a big plus. Granted, Pac-Man and Geometry Wars aren't exactly HD show-off titles but my friend did play the Ace Combat 6 demo. I also managed to sell my old Xbox for $50 while getting some people over to show off the new toys! Yay!
Old 07-17-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
Hmm, hadn't heard about that. I haven't hit any bugs yet, but I'm only a few hours in. I'll have to cross my fingers and hope a patch comes out soon.
I hadn't either, thanks for mentioning it. I'm only playing a few hours here and there so hopefully it gets fixed before I get very far.
Old 07-17-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by noonan4224
I was planning on picking this up but the IGN reviews says there's some game ending bugs that you can run across. Until I know it's patched I won't bother with it. I really liked the demo too.
The only bug I'm aware of is some part where you have to get spokes for a wheel or something, and if you don't finish the quest the first time you start it, the spokes will not be there when you come back.
Old 07-17-07, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've finally caved in and got the XBox 360 Elite. Now I own all three consoles.
Old 07-17-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Pixy, I guess with your new toy, that means you won't be starting RE4 anytime soon. I figured we'd be hitting that up about the same time.

*edit - what's up with the 10 line sig keit? I know you are new, so I'll refrain from a smartass comment. ..but, anything over 5 lines is generally frowned upon around here.
Old 07-17-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

kiett_2000
Cool New Member

yeah it says "Cool New Member" but dude's been here for 2.5 years

Pixy you made a good choice and thank you for the friend request, when you get gears be sure to look us up.
Old 07-17-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pixy, I guess with your new toy, that means you won't be starting RE4 anytime soon. I figured we'd be hitting that up about the same time.
Nah, I'm still itching to finish Odin Sphere.. and RE4 will start after that. I don't have anything yet on the 360 that requires copious amounts of time so I'll be able to divide time. Plus, I start vacation Friday! No work for ten days!

Originally Posted by kakihara1
Pixy you made a good choice and thank you for the friend request, when you get gears be sure to look us up.
Will do, I'll keep goading my friend to grab it for a weekend co-op run.
Old 07-17-07, 02:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kiett_2000
Now I own all three consoles.
Best way to go!
Old 07-17-07, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Setzer
Best way to go!
Yeah. Just like the HD format, I own both blu-ray and HD DVD.
Old 07-17-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Assuming one went with 360 over PS3, the subquestion is Elite or Premium? My TV only has DVI, and I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon. I don't care what color the console is, but I am of the opinion that "bigger is better" when it comes to HD space, so that in itself might be worth the 80 bucks. And anyone aware of any upcoming deals (other than the free year of Live from CC, and I need to check BJ's, they had a bundle.)
Old 07-17-07, 06:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Well, there's only 3 differences between the Elite and Premium:

HDMI
120GB
Black

You could get an HDMI > DVI adapter and that would solve your problem, just need to carry the audio signal through something else. I guess you really need to ask yourself, do really need the extra 100gb of hard disk space? Do you plan on downloading alot of movies, storing music, etc.? I have the Premium and I've downloaded some movies and I have alot of demos and Xbox Arcade stuff and I still have about 8gb free. Just remember that the 20gb is actually 13gb and the 120gb is actually 113gb. Microsoft reserved 7gb of space for backwards compatibility info. I would say save your money and go with the Premium, you can always upgrade the hard drive later.
Old 07-17-07, 06:19 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
Assuming one went with 360 over PS3, the subquestion is Elite or Premium? My TV only has DVI, and I'm not planning to upgrade anytime soon. I don't care what color the console is, but I am of the opinion that "bigger is better" when it comes to HD space, so that in itself might be worth the 80 bucks. And anyone aware of any upcoming deals (other than the free year of Live from CC, and I need to check BJ's, they had a bundle.)
DVI is digitally compatible with HDMI so they make a little adapter plug thats DVI on one side and HDMI on the other so youre all set---BUT your TV might not take 1080p over DVI so you might want to look into that.
Old 07-17-07, 06:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dtcarson
The Elite has only two things that the Premium does not: HDMI and a 100 GB hard drive. It sounds like HDMI would be useless to you, so that is one strike against the Elite.

Do you plan on downloading HD movies or storing music or whatever else on your hard drive? If not, then there is absolutely no reason you need the bigger hard drive. The 20 GB drive in the Premium is more than sufficient for gaming.
Old 07-17-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
As others have said, the larger harddrive is good if you plan on downloading movies. The problem with the harddrive is that you are extremely limited with what you can put on it. You can only put your own audio on it... but ONLY if you insert Audio CDs and rip them one at a time in the 360. Forget about putting your own videos or photos on it.

I suggest getting a Premium 360, and buying the largest USB thumbdrive (or micro harddrive) that the 360 supports. This way you can place your own MP3s, photos, and videos on the drive and play them on the 360.

I have a few 2GB thumbdrives that I swap for use customized in-game music and such, or when I don't happen to have my WMCE notebook powered on.
Old 07-17-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
*edit - what's up with the 10 line sig keit? I know you are new, so I'll refrain from a smartass comment. ..but, anything over 5 lines is generally frowned upon around here.
I'm still trying to decide which sig is worse, keit's which is 10 or 11 lines; or raven's which is just a huge colored font with a morbid reminder tied to it....

Alright, I compared the two by browsing the threads and raven's is the most annoying to me as it just sticks out over everything else on the page.

Last edited by Music; 07-17-07 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-17-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While the larger HDD isn't really needed now, I have a feeling I'm going to have to upgrade to it in November. If Rock Band's really going to have weekly DLC, as well as full album downloads, then it's probably going to eat up a lot of HD space real quick.
Old 07-17-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Interesting....my TV is only 1080i so I might not even benefit from the HDMI->DVI....
What sort of movies are available to be downloaded? Honestly, after the DDD sale and TRSi's sales, I'm set on DVDs, so I would most likely only be downloading demos or demo movies, which of course can be deleted after watching them or trying them out.
I don't really care about customizing my own in-game music, and I do have a 4GB thumbdrive and a 120 GB portable/backup USB hard drive (I'm not sure if that would work.) Plus in that case that 80 bucks could be used for getting whatever it takes to go wireless.
It sounds like the Premium would indeed work for me.
Old 07-17-07, 07:23 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im only getting an elite for the 1080p when I get my new TV next christmas.

(of course keeping my premium till then)
Old 07-17-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

i say screw both of them and go for the Halo edition.
Old 07-18-07, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

HDMI on the 360 is useless other than cable convenience.
Old 07-18-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Movies aren't the issue since they are (IIRC) limited time rentals.

Demos can easily run 1GB or more. I've had a little under 3GB free for the past year. I don't like deleting stuff, so a larger drive would be cool.
Old 07-18-07, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Demos can easily run 1GB or more. I've had a little under 3GB free for the past year. I don't like deleting stuff, so a larger drive would be cool.
Yeah, most demos are at least 1 GB these days. What is the point of keeping demos after trying them out once or twice though? If you like the demo, you will probably buy the full game and then you won't need the demo any more. If you don't like the demo, then you won't play it anymore anyway. So why keep them?
Old 07-18-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
HDMI on the 360 is useless other than cable convenience.

for me thats a great reason to get it...
Old 07-18-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, most demos are at least 1 GB these days. What is the point of keeping demos after trying them out once or twice though? If you like the demo, you will probably buy the full game and then you won't need the demo any more. If you don't like the demo, then you won't play it anymore anyway. So why keep them?
Not everyone can buy a game on the drop of a hat, but still want to play it. I still need to get Lost Planet and Crackdown for example. Until I get them, those demos are staying on my hard drive.
Old 07-18-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

how often do you load up those demos? They are free and can be re-downloaded at any time. Especially convenient now with the low power d/l mode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.