Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Video game podcasts

Old 09-11-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 891 Likes on 568 Posts
Re: Video game podcasts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
If people are stupid enough to pay, let them. It's definitely not worth the money. Usually just random musings, and inside jokes, no structured format, just all over the place. I'll take The Hotspot over these guys.
Couldn't disagree more. It's one of the only videogame podcasts I enjoy. I've tried plenty of others and they always annoyed me eventually. The Bombcast keeps me coming back week after week.

And for those who say they don't want to pay to hear them talk about sports drinks, they dropped that bit a long time ago. Right now, they'll mention something if it gets sent to them but it's a 30 second bit if that. And it's maybe happened 5 times in the last year. Definitely no longer a feature on the show.
Old 09-11-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also always listen to the shows late so it wouldn't affect me. I rarely listen to 100% of any video game podcast. I find without chapter marks once they start talking about things I am not interested I just switch to another podcast. I have too many to listen to as it is.
Old 09-11-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the Bombcast, but I wouldn't pay for it. I would just wait the week.

Glad they decided not to split it up.
Old 09-12-10, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not positive that I've ever been on Giant Bomb's site, and I update my podcasts on itunes every Friday, so I'm already getting Bombcast a week late.

No value there for me, and I don't think I'd ever pay for a podcast.

The Bombcast is probably the fifth to seventh one I get to every week anyway after Weekend Confirmed, Feedback, Mobcast, Drunken Gamers, Gamers with Jobs, Player One, and (for now) Idle Thumbs.
Old 09-12-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't get why people keep saying that the Giant Bomb subscription (which is technically a subscription to all of the Whiskey Media sites) is just for the podcast. It's also for HD video, a live video show on Fridays, no ads, a t-shirt, and other features to be announced later.

Anyway, now that they scrapped the whole notion of splitting the podcast, maybe that misconception will go away.
Old 09-12-10, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps View Post
I still don't get why people keep saying that the Giant Bomb subscription (which is technically a subscription to all of the Whiskey Media sites) is just for the podcast. It's also for HD video, a live video show on Fridays, no ads, a t-shirt, and other features to be announced later.
Because nobody else goes to their website. The podcast is the only content most of us consume...particularly in this thread.
Old 09-12-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chess View Post
Because nobody else goes to their website. The podcast is the only content most of us consume...particularly in this thread.
Yep that is how I see it.
Old 09-12-10, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, you should be going there. They have one of the best things in video game news and that is the Quick Look, where they actually show you how the game plays for like 20-30 minutes. Not quick scenes during a review or developer put together reels for promo material. Gives you a great way to judge a game on your own, rather than based off someones review.
Old 06-13-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 672 Likes on 475 Posts

Luke, Shane and Garnett on Weekend Confirmed! Nice surprise there. Just wish they could have pulled John in there(well, just started listening, maybe he shows up later).
Old 06-13-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yup, he does .
Old 06-13-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Luke, Shane and Garnett on Weekend Confirmed! Nice surprise there. Just wish they could have pulled John in there(well, just started listening, maybe he shows up later).
I read that on Garnett's Twitter last week. Super excited to give it a listen!
Old 06-13-11, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by superfro View Post
I read that on Garnett's Twitter last week. Super excited to give it a listen!
It was magical It did remind me that I don't really care for Luke at all. I want more John though. It may be the British accent, but it feels like he is usually the adult in any given conversation.
Old 06-13-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
It was magical It did remind me that I don't really care for Luke at all. I want more John though. It may be the British accent, but it feels like he is usually the adult in any given conversation.
I never understood the love for Luke. He is so overwhelmingly negative about everything. Garnett, John and Mark are pretty awesome, though. And Shane isn't bad, either.
Old 06-13-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, Weekend Confirmed always needs more John. As for Luke he was great mostly because he was a foil for Shane and his fanboy antics. They balanced each other out.

Also, despite the negativity, Luke seemed like the most honest of the bunch. If he hates something, he doesn't hold back. The other guys hold back as to not hinder their working relationships with developers. For example, if Garnett doesn't like something(most recently with Test Drive U2) he took the "if you don't have anything nice to say..." and steered the conversation somewhere else choosing not to talk about it at all. I appreciate the honestly instead of avoiding the topic.
Old 06-13-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 891 Likes on 568 Posts

Currently wading through the 8+ hours of E3 Bombcasts. Can get a little hard to listen too with tons of dudes talking, but there have been some pretty interesting insights into what it's like to work and develop games from places like Naughty Dog and 38 Studios, along with a pretty candid David Jaffe and a few moments where they turn some good questions back on the journalists...like how you can give a game a bad review and then hang out with those same guys later on.

All in all, pretty enjoyable. But since I only have a 45 minute commute at the most there and back it's taking me a while
Old 06-13-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Currently wading through the 8+ hours of E3 Bombcasts. Can get a little hard to listen too with tons of dudes talking, but there have been some pretty interesting insights into what it's like to work and develop games from places like Naughty Dog and 38 Studios, along with a pretty candid David Jaffe and a few moments where they turn some good questions back on the journalists...like how you can give a game a bad review and then hang out with those same guys later on.

All in all, pretty enjoyable. But since I only have a 45 minute commute at the most there and back it's taking me a while
I'm with you. I think I'm halfway thru the Day 1 podcast.

I can't wait to get to Weekend Confirmed.

Side note: Is John Davidson on another podcast regularly? I've missed listening to him.
Old 06-18-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently the Joystiq podcast has been revamped, and not in a way that their audience enjoys. Then the Joystiq editor took to Twitter to complain about the listeners. Could get fun.
Old 06-18-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
Apparently the Joystiq podcast has been revamped, and not in a way that their audience enjoys. Then the Joystiq editor took to Twitter to complain about the listeners. Could get fun.
What username on Twitter?
Old 06-18-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

@chrisgrant
Old 06-19-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the old Joystiq podcast, and I like the new one too.
Old 06-19-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I never listened to the old one. I just saw that there was a new one and when I went to subscribe I thought it was weird that episode 1 was newer than episode 100.
Old 07-26-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So is it just me or has Weekend Confimed been a complete snoozefest since E3? I think that was the last one that I enjoyed. Maybe it's the summer drought, but they have been a chore to get through lately.
Old 07-26-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
So is it just me or has Weekend Confimed been a complete snoozefest since E3? I think that was the last one that I enjoyed. Maybe it's the summer drought, but they have been a chore to get through lately.
During the summer I listen to fewer podcasts and thought that might have been the reason I hadn't finished some of them... Till I sat down this morning and listened to about a quarter of the newest one and you are correct - it was kind of dull.
Old 07-26-11, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think there are certain lineups of WC that I just don't like. Xav and Andrea for example. A lot of their guests are not good either.
Old 07-26-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

True. I could do without Xav, but I like Andrea every once in a while. She keeps it lighthearted.

I did like their "non-industry" friend from last week. It was different. Not sure if he'd be a good fit weekly, but I did like having a voice from the consumer side of the table. I appreciate that he tried to address the WiiU, but I don't think he prepared his thoughts well. All his complaints were rather vapid and shallow, but I understood what he was trying to get at. WC hasn't really addressed it all that much, so it was nice it was at least brought up.

As for the downturn for me, it seems they have been getting too deep and stuck on particular games for 15 minutes at a time. It's one thing to listen about a game you have no interest in as long as the talk is breezy and not so technical. Once they start getting deeper than design, what's great about it, characters, etc. and start delving into specific levels, hit points, combos, etc. interest drops fast. They seem to be doing that more lately.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.