Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Twilight Princess: My Wii vs. Gamecube debacle

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Twilight Princess: My Wii vs. Gamecube debacle

So a few weeks I bought the Wii version of Twilight Princess. Been trying to get used to the controls ever since. Using the Wii-mote and the nunchuck just was too weird. After 20+ years of playing Zelda games, it just wasn't the same Zelda experience. So I took the Wii version to GameStop and traded it for the Gamecube version. At last, the familiar feel of the controller in my hands. Link is left-handed again. Everything is again right with the world. I guess I'm just too much of a Nintendo purist; an analog player in the digital age.
Old 06-20-07, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I felt the same way when Sony brought out the dual-shock controller on the original PS. Took me months to get the hang of those damn things!
Old 06-20-07, 04:34 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
I felt the same way when Sony brought out the dual-shock controller on the original PS. Took me months to get the hang of those damn things!

Me too. I thought the analog sticks were incredibly awkward when I first used them. Nowadays, I couldn't live without the analog stick...
Old 06-20-07, 08:21 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the new controls in the Wii version. One of the few things I've enjoyed on the Wii so for.

They took a couple hours of getting used to, but after that they were second nature and sucked me into the game a little more, especially during boss battles when hacking away at exposed weak spots.
Old 06-20-07, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh H
I loved the new controls in the Wii version.
I actually prefer them. I love the feel of having one controller in each hand -- much more "free" feeling. The IR aiming is definately a step-up from using an analog stick. The motion controls were fun -- and I found it easier to play the game not having to worry about which button I had to press.
Old 06-20-07, 08:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I really like the controls in the Wii version (not to mention the 16:9 display). But I was disappointed that Link wasn't left handed, even as an option, since I myself hold my Wiimote in the left hand. My only complaint is that shaking the nunchuk for the circle attack seems unresponsive at times.
Old 06-20-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After playing the Wii version of Zelda, I don't think I will EVER be able to play a game that involves aiming with a clunky analog controller again. Okay, I probably will, but I'll really wish I had that Wii remote (or a mouse).
Old 06-20-07, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I really like the controls in the Wii version (not to mention the 16:9 display). But I was disappointed that Link wasn't left handed, even as an option, since I myself hold my Wiimote in the left hand. My only complaint is that shaking the nunchuk for the circle attack seems unresponsive at times.
Yeah that does kinda suck... i mean that you're left handed

I don't remember any problems with the nunchuck shaking. Are you shaking it wildly? I usually just jolted it once -- and it seemed to work 100%.
Old 06-20-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
After playing the Wii version of Zelda, I don't think I will EVER be able to play a game that involves aiming with a clunky analog controller again. Okay, I probably will, but I'll really wish I had that Wii remote (or a mouse).
Same here, aiming the bow and arrow, hookshot, etc. was so much easier and fun with the Wii remote.
Old 06-20-07, 09:46 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I don't remember any problems with the nunchuck shaking. Are you shaking it wildly? I usually just jolted it once -- and it seemed to work 100%.
Yeah, I had no problems with that move. It was a huge improvement over having to hold a button and charge which made the spin attack to slow to be useful most of the time in past zelda games.

Now anything else with the nunchuck like the shield slam were very much hit or miss on whether I got them to work. Thankfully most of those moves were useless anyway.
Old 06-20-07, 09:48 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Definitely. I can't wait to see how well the aiming in Metroid works. My only concern is whether they can get aiming and turning to both work well with the control scheme, as that seems to have been an issue in the FPS games we've gotten so far.

But it's hard to judge by them as they were uniformly shoddy, rushed reports pawned off to crappy development teams.
Old 06-20-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scarface did a wonderful job with combining aiming w/ spinning

they used the same method Red Steel did, just did it right this time
Old 06-20-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
Definitely. I can't wait to see how well the aiming in Metroid works. My only concern is whether they can get aiming and turning to both work well with the control scheme, as that seems to have been an issue in the FPS games we've gotten so far.

But it's hard to judge by them as they were uniformly shoddy, rushed reports pawned off to crappy development teams.
Not having played a single "FPS" on the Wii yet, I can't believe this is even an issue. I mean, how difficult can it be to map a WASD/Mouse control scheme to the Nunchunk/Wiimote?
Old 06-20-07, 10:00 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by pinata242
Not having played a single "FPS" on the Wii yet, I can't believe this is even an issue. I mean, how difficult can it be to map a WASD/Mouse control scheme to the Nunchunk/Wiimote?
The problem thus far has been that moving the Wiimote has tended to only move the cursor around the screen, rather than moving the whole field of vision with the aiming cursor staying in the center as is done in mouse/keyboard controls.

The issue is probably that the Wiimote is far more shaky (especially if you don't have steady hands) than a mouse, so if you had that same control scheme the screen will be shaking all the time.

I know the early builds of Metroid had this, the cursor moved around within an invisible box in the middle of the screen, and moving it all the way to the edges causes the character to turn.
Old 06-20-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well that makes sense. I'm sure they've played with a motion "dead-zone" to not mistake shaking for actual movement, but I bet that would just as easily ignore subtle, intended movements. Toughy.
Old 06-20-07, 10:10 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by pinata242
Well that makes sense. I'm sure they've played with a motion "dead-zone" to not mistake shaking for actual movement, but I bet that would just as easily ignore subtle, intended movements. Toughy.
Yeah, that would fuck up aiming as that often involves small, subtle movements. Especially when sniping etc.

It is tough. There's a host of issues with Wiimote control that I didn't consider when I was initially stoked when it was announced. Definitely giving me pause on whether certain aspects of the controls that I thought would be great (like FPS) will end up actually being improvements.
Old 07-09-07, 04:57 PM

when i first got my wii i got zelda, trama centre and monkey ball, i must say zelda was wierd for about the first 3-4 hours but you get use to it, trama controls great, but i felt that monkey ball is really difficult. i dont play my wii on a daily basis but it does take some skill to get past some of the harder levels down the road.
Old 07-09-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the Wii Zelda is also 16x9, while the GC version is stuck in 4x3. This, along with the controls, tilted me towards the Wii version.