Reload this Page >

Review: Psyclone Component Video Source Selector

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-19-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought this at Best Buy, and I have to say that I'm impressed. For this kind of thing it's not cheap ($105), but it is well-designed, sturdy, and fits in with my other devices.

Comes with 4 inputs and 1 output. Each input features:

- Composite video (yellow)
- S-Video
- Component (red, green, and blue)
- Analog audio (red and white)
- Optical audio
- Ethernet

This is strictly a pass-through device, so it's not converting everything to component or anything. But the four optical audio inputs are what sold me.

Also, I think you can double up on inputs. By that I mean I think you can have the composite video and analog audio with component inputs and optical audio on the same input for different devices. I haven't tried this out for the video, but I've tested it for audio and I know for a fact it works (useful for HD OTA and SD TiVo on the same input).

As far as how I use it, I've daisy-chained it to my receiver so that I can select GAME on the receiver and then on this selector choose the specific console: Wii, Xbox, PS2, etc. The input labels are customizable.

It comes in black and white. They also offer an HDMI 1.3 selector.

http://www.psyclonegamer.com/product...tition&id=1128
Old 06-19-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

did it at least come with the set of cables to go from the unit to your output device?
Old 06-19-07, 01:16 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it autoselect inputs when you turn on various devices, or do you have to push a button to change?

Just curious. I actually (finally) don't need a system selector as my new TV (along with my old receiver) now have enough inputs for everything.
Old 06-19-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Kurrpt - Yes it comes with cables

Josh - no. It comes with a remote for selecting

I upgraded to this one for the LED and remote from a Pelican 8 component selector.
Old 06-19-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got this as well. Like it a lot.
Old 06-19-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I looked at the Psyclone one...and opted for a quality component switcher from Audio Authority...which I nabbed off ebay for $160 shipped...

https://www.audioauthority.com/index...ore&iProduct=3

It's auto-sensing, converts between digital audio types including l-r, optical and coax, and it's small and mountable out of the way...no degradation in the signal at all either...I love it.
Old 06-19-07, 02:14 PM
Retired

Thanks for the link Lordzeppelin.

If I ever need a selector again, I'd definitely be willing to shell out the extra $50 for auto-sensing.
Old 06-19-07, 02:21 PM

my psyclone selector generates wavy lines across the screen anytime i have an input set to progressive scan

anyone else seeing the same issue?
Old 06-19-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
did it at least come with the set of cables to go from the unit to your output device?
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Kurrpt - Yes it comes with cables
Actually, mine didn't come with any cables. Not that I would want even more crappy composite cables that every electronic device seems to include. I'm going to the store tonight or tomorrow to buy four optical audio cables and one more set of component video cables.

No auto-sensing, but .

By the way, this turns on instantly and switches instantly.

Originally Posted by D_N_G
my psyclone selector generates wavy lines across the screen anytime i have an input set to progressive scan

anyone else seeing the same issue?
I will check mine tonight, but I can't imagine that your situation is normal. Are you using unshielded cables, or do you have a lot of line noise?

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-19-07 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 04:06 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I'm going to the store tonight or tomorrow to buy four optical audio cables and one more set of component video cables.
You'll save a ton of money ordering them from www.monoprice.com if you can wait a few days for them to be delivered.

I just ordered a batch of stuff from their a couple weeks ago and saved a ton, the optical cables were less than $3 for 6 feet cables.

Autoswitching isn't a huge deal, I'm just lazy and hated having to get up to push the button on my old manual S-video switcher, and would hate having another remote around (doubt my old radio shack universal could learn it's commands).
Old 06-19-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Actually, mine didn't come with any cables. Not that I would want even more crappy composite cables that every electronic device seems to include. I'm going to the store tonight or tomorrow to buy four optical audio cables and one more set of component video cables.
Certainly you know about http://www.monoprice.com ... So I'm hoping either you know of a good deal locally or are just too excited to wait a few days for a package to be delivered.
Old 06-19-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Component inputs don't always equate to high def. I have the older pelican pro selector and it could not pass 720p/1080i inputs without interference problems. 480p was fine though. DVD's, Gamecube, PS2 all looked good but my HD sat receiver and my xbox looked like shit.

Last edited by edstein; 06-19-07 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-19-07, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
Component inputs don't always equate to high def. I have the older pelican pro selector and it could not pass 720p/1080i inputs without interference problems. 480p as fine though. DVD's, Gamecube, PS2 all looked good but my HD sat receiver and my xbox looked like shit.
Precisely why I went with the Audio Authority one...it's certified for HD. Plus the audio conversion...it was well worth the extra $50.
Old 06-19-07, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have both this one

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

and their component switcher (not listed on the site anymore), also has optical outs. Both have served me VERY well and its tuff to beat tha tprice. Only flaw is it doesn't automatically switch. YOu have ot switch it manually.
Old 06-20-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually ordered through Monoprice, I was just excited and wanted to go to the store right then. (But saving $60 or so is more important!)

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-20-07 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-20-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Component inputs don't always equate to high def. I have the older pelican pro selector and it could not pass 720p/1080i inputs without interference problems. 480p was fine though. DVD's, Gamecube, PS2 all looked good but my HD sat receiver and my xbox looked like shit.
The Psyclone had a big sticker on the front saying that it was compatible with 720p and 1080i.
Old 06-20-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's cool. I wish the one I had supported those resolutions. Does it have optical audio inputs for each input? Mine only had three.
Old 06-20-07, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had one of these Psyclone switchers and everything except my cable box using s-vhs was always in black and white. I tried many different combos of moving cables around from input to input and the color would only follow my cable box. my 2 DTivos and my s-vhs vcr would only output in b/w. I tried new cables as well as all the different inputs on my receiver and I even tried to connect it to my tv directly with the same results, everything except my cable was in b/w. I didn't even try component as I really only needed it for s-vid at the time. I did an exchange 2 times and it just never worked for me.

^^just in case someone may be looking at using s-vid this may happen to you as well.
Old 06-20-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's cool. I wish the one I had supported those resolutions. Does it have optical audio inputs for each input? Mine only had three.
Yep, four optical inputs.
Old 06-20-07, 06:19 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
^^just in case someone may be looking at using s-vid this may happen to you as well.
For those that just need s-video, I'd just get the $20 pelican switcher.

It's push buttons, so that annoyed the piss out of me at times. But every console until the Wii I had to walk over to turn on and off anyway, so it really wasn't a big deal and the switcher worked fine in terms of PQ etc.

No optical plugs though, Just S-video and composite.
Old 06-20-07, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Josh H
For those that just need s-video, I'd just get the $20 pelican switcher.

It's push buttons, so that annoyed the piss out of me at times. But every console until the Wii I had to walk over to turn on and off anyway, so it really wasn't a big deal and the switcher worked fine in terms of PQ etc.

No optical plugs though, Just S-video and composite.
S-Video? is this 1999?
Old 06-20-07, 09:18 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by lordzeppelin
S-Video? is this 1999?
Until last week I only had a 27" Sony Wega.

It had one component input that I used for DVD, but I didn't see the point in getting as switcher and using component for my game systems as I couldn't tell any improvement going from S-video to component on DVDs on that small of a TV.

Was a pretty noticeable jump using S-video over composite though. Now everything is component or HDMI on my new set. PS2 is still s-video through to the old TV though as it looks like shit on the new set anyway, and Guitar Hero I is unplayable on on HD sets.
Old 06-21-07, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guitar Hero I is unplayable on on HD sets.
I assume you are talking about the input/video lag....

I can, and do play GH 1/2 on my HDTV. My PS2 is hooked up via component and my HDTV is old (about 2.5 years old). Works flawlessly, no noticeable lag at all so this shouldn't be an issue now with newer HDTVs. I know at one point this was problematic with some DLP TVs but even that has been fixed.
Old 06-21-07, 10:35 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Lastblade
I assume you are talking about the input/video lag....

I can, and do play GH 1/2 on my HDTV. My PS2 is hooked up via component and my HDTV is old (about 2.5 years old). Works flawlessly, no noticeable lag at all so this shouldn't be an issue now with newer HDTVs. I know at one point this was problematic with some DLP TVs but even that has been fixed.
Beats me. I have a new Vizio plasma (just bought 2 weeks ago) and the lag is terrible on GH1. Can't play it at all. Same on my Brother's Dell LCD TV.

GH2 I can play as it has the lag calibration (think mine comes out to around 70ms, my brother's around 50ms).

We do both have it hooked up via S-Video though due to lack of free component inputs.

But any HD set should have lag, as with S-video it has to upconvert a 480i signal to it's native resolution (720p in my case) and with component a 480p signal to 720p. That's where the lag comes from. Numerous threads on this topic at AVS.

Your set much just have a really go scaler that keeps the lag at a minimum, and/or you never got used to playing it on a regular TV with 100% no lag so you learned to play with the lag.

Or perhaps your TV displays 480p and thus doesn't have to do any scaling up.

Last edited by Josh H; 06-21-07 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-21-07, 10:47 AM

Until last week I only had a 27" Sony Wega.
I wasn't trying to be a dick...just funny.

The reason I say it, is because I just picked up S-Video Cables for both the Dreamcast and Saturn a few months back, because that's the 'best' connection for each...and cleaned up a few games enough to be tolerable on a bigscreen...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.