Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Most frustrating video game experiences?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upon buying a new keyboard, I noticed the 'power' key was where my old pause button used to be. But these buttons don't ever actually work do they?

Well anyway playing games afterwards, I had a tendency to, after completing a challenging part through luck or what have you, pause the game and save it. Only the power button did work. Many many times I turned my PC off instead of saving it at a critical time. Until I rippeed the key out.

Also, there was a game called Tiger-Heli for the NES that I used to like, the problem was I couldn't ever seem to beat it. One day my friend came over with his Game Genie and we coded in for invincibility. The game was on a DAMN LOOP. You couldn't ever win!
Old 06-04-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TMNT1 for NES - the whole damn game.
Old 06-04-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Empire Strikes Back - Atari 2600
Old 06-04-07, 07:45 PM

Trying to play Call Of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 after completing the game on the PC. I just can't get used to the joystick controls.
Old 06-04-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb on the Xbox. The ONLY game I have quit because of piss poor play control. God awful.
Old 06-04-07, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fandango
TMNT1 for NES - the whole damn game.
Agreed. I never could get past the third level.

Any Battletoads game was also very frustrating. Those damn motorcycle levels always killed me.

The original Prince of Persia game from back in '80s was also very difficult. Running into any trap was always instant death. The entire game was on a time limit. There were 15 levels and you had one hour to finish the game. You couldn't rush through the game or you would probably keep falling into traps but yet you had to rush because you would run out of time otherwise.... I never did beat that game. The new PoP series is MUCH easier. No more instant death traps, no time limit, a rewind feature, etc.
Old 06-04-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every Playstation and Playstation 2 game I ever played. I don't know what it is but I have always hated the control of playstation games. My roommates gave me a hard time and started using how many controllers I broke to determine how good or bad a game was. The only reason I had a PS2 was I got one for free which I eventually broke.
Old 06-04-07, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Games/sequences w/ a timer. I don't care what the game is or how much I like it otherwise, I HATE timed sequences
Old 06-04-07, 09:52 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I have fond memories of throwing the controller at the final boss in Mario Bros. 2
Old 06-04-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any ghost n goblin game
Old 06-04-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
It's interesting seeing peoples frustration. for the most part I didn't have any issues with any of the games in this thread, even TMNT for the NES. Beat that one a couple times.

Mario 2, really?

Super Ghosts N Goblins I beat the first time through, don't remember if I ever played through that second time. I think I was too pissed to even care.

I will admit to Prince of Persia though. That game was very unforgiving.
Old 06-05-07, 04:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Impossible Mission on the C64. As an 8 year old I had no idea what I was doing.
Also, the flight sections in the recent Grand Theft Auto games. I just couldn't get used to the controls.
Old 06-05-07, 06:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Poorly written children's PC games.

You try explaining to a 6 year old why Bloom keeps jumping through the cliff wall in to a large white area. Frigging Winx Club game!
Old 06-05-07, 06:41 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Half-Life on the PC.

Loved the game, got about half way thru it, but then a glitch stopped me. It was a known bug where sometimes a certain trigger wouldn't activate, locking you from getting past a certain point. I searched forums and contacted the publisher, but I was screwed. I would have had to re-start from the beginning.

Up to that point, it was perhaps the most satisfying dozen or so hours that I had ever spent on a PC game, but I never restarted the game or played another Half-Life game again. The memory is too bitter.

It is part of the reason I mainly switched to console gaming. Plug it in and play, no need for patches or hardware upgrades for the most part.
Old 06-05-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fmian
Impossible Mission on the C64. As an 8 year old I had no idea what I was doing.

Three other horribly frustrating experiences: [

Onimusha for the PS2 (could NOT get past the timed water puzzle...and it's only like the second puzzle in the game).

Currently, GRAW. For the life of me, I cannot get past the early stage where I have to protect a diplomat/ambassador or something frmo an enemy assault.

Finally, the alien stage in Rootbeer Tapper (XBLA) is KILLING me.
Old 06-05-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Joining a game of Tribes2 on a pub server, getting your team organized and building momentum towards a win, only to have a couple of them get bored and decide to start griefing/TKing instead. #^@%ing kids.
Old 06-05-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Most frustrating for me? Seeing garbage sell in droves every week because they've got a movie/cartoon/toy name on the cover. I can accept Halo selling a zillion more copies than Twinkle Fairy Princess RPG, but it really pisses me off to no end seeing shitty developers lavishly rewarded weekly because their suits bought a license for them to craft their turd with.
Old 06-05-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Currently, GRAW. For the life of me, I cannot get past the early stage where I have to protect a diplomat/ambassador or something frmo an enemy assault.
Yeah, I had a hard time with that as well. Plus those darn helo missions where you had to use the helo's gun. I suck using the console controllers though. I'm a mouse/keyboard guy.
Old 06-05-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Xenogears....all that 2D jumping in 3D enviornments was not fun.
Old 06-05-07, 08:46 AM

COD2 - The Silo level (clearing the houses) on Veteran
GRAW - Protecting the VIP at the US embassy.
Shinobi - The spider boss.
Old 06-05-07, 08:47 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
It is part of the reason I mainly switched to console gaming. Plug it in and play, no need for patches or hardware upgrades for the most part.
Well, those days are over in the console world.
Old 06-05-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

COD2 on Veteran.. Too many parts to list.
Old 06-05-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Xenogears....all that 2D jumping in 3D enviornments was not fun.
Yeah, and sifting through 40 minutes of dialogue so you can save the damn game.
I don't think I've ever simultaneously loved and hated a game as much as that one.
Old 06-05-07, 08:57 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
The original Prince of Persia game from back in '80s was also very difficult. Running into any trap was always instant death. The entire game was on a time limit. There were 15 levels and you had one hour to finish the game. You couldn't rush through the game or you would probably keep falling into traps but yet you had to rush because you would run out of time otherwise.... I never did beat that game. The new PoP series is MUCH easier. No more instant death traps, no time limit, a rewind feature, etc.
Actually, I've been playing Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on my PC, and its implementation of the flying camera is one of the most frustrating things I've ever seen. I can't count the number of times when I've been fighting sand creatures or trying to jump to a ledge and the computer has decided that I need to be looking at the action from a certain angle. Suddenly, the guy who was above me is behind me, or the ledgee that was to my left is to my right -- and as a result, I'm moving my character in the wrong direction.

Less bad but still frustrating is the fact that the designers used a yellow glowing area as both the power-up and the save point. Even that wouldn' be so bad, but for the fact that it also looks like a patch of sunlight, so that there are certain points in the game where I'm trying to power-up or save on something that's no more than a piece of the game's scenery!
Old 06-05-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very little ammo, very little life, probably died around 10-15 times.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.