Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What's the most addicting game you've ever played?

Old 06-01-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NCAA College Hoops. I've played hundreds of hours.
Old 06-01-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, camping FBSS back in the day was a task. However, those who are even older in the game will remember camping Drelzna for jboots when they were still a drop. Friend and I took turns playing from thursday - saturday night in order to get the drop for one toon. And their was a loot rotation based on time into the group. And no one in the group left until they got a pair. That was the definition of a camp. Esp when you had groups actively trying to come in and ks you.
Old 06-01-07, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Diablo II

Dear Lord i spent so much time playing and then trading to get the big sets.

I also spent a ton of time (pre-MMORPG obviously) playing various MUDs in college. JediMud, EnsiMud, Wheel of Time, and CyberAssault were my big ones as well as some little one that was a combat mud and had a big red button at the bottom in the center of the arena you could push to kill everyone on the server.

EnsiMud had a ton of people playing from France and my little crew dominated that mud. They ended up changing the makeup of some spells and areas because we were going in with groups of 4 people and taking down the hardest area to deck ourselves out in the top tier equipment when they had intended the area to require like 15-20 people to run it. I also had the toughest PvP character on that mud and the character was a cleric.
Old 06-01-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Dune II
Old 06-01-07, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Civilization I, IV
Animal Crossing
Baseball Stars
Old 06-01-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2
Old 06-01-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jake77444
Hehe thats funny to me because people addicted to MMORPGS do 16 hours a day regularly everyday :P Trying doing 48 hours straight because you don't want to stop raiding :P
16 hours a day? every day? i guess they are a teenager and their parents pay for their life and internet connection?...

i get your point..

i have purposefully avoided MMO games in general because of this...

i did make the mistake of finally starting The Elder Scrolls... several reviews said the PS3 version was the best yet... and i had long remembered the reviews for PC when it came out... so i had to... i think this game is going to do a fine job of eliminating my spare time...

but in truth i still hop on Resistance Fall Of Man more than anything...

and for the painfully obvious trolls here...

i've been playing games on computers since the 70's... on mainframes... in text...

don't worry i can already tell you are so sure of yourself, that fact will not make much difference...

i've never seen an FPS that matches Resistance...

the development in that game... the AI and replay value... and the massive and ongoing Insomniac support of the online play is pretty much precedent setting...

maybe you judge a game by graphics... who knows...
Old 06-01-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A braggart with a join day of...today. And he is calling us trolls. Rich, rich irony.
Old 06-01-07, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely have to agree with Animal Crossing. I played both versions every day for a year.

I also liked the Theme Park/Rollercoaster Tycoon type games. Very fun.
Old 06-01-07, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jake77444
People that havn't played and been addicted to DAOC, Everquest, or WoW don't understand what video game addiction is.....damn MMORPGs
I perfectly understand what video game addiction is, and I have never played a MMOPRG because I quite simply hate playing online multiplayer.

However, in my younger days, I was very addicted to gaming. I would honestly stay up all night playing games on a regular basis. I actually got used to getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night. There were many times I would play games for 20+ hours non-stop. My longest 'spree' was when the original Baldur's Gate came out on PC back in 1998. I played it non-stop for about 36 hours. Aww, I wish I was young and could still do that.
Old 06-01-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ytrez
Guitar Hero
QFT!
Old 06-01-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That game where you lay out these lines of white powder on some flat surface, then everyone takes turns trying to snort as much of it up into their nasal cavity without breaking the line. I forget what it's called.
Old 06-01-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decadance
A braggart with a join day of...today. And he is calling us trolls. Rich, rich irony.
which part was bragging?

my responding to several posts of "he must not have played FPS on computers?"... "i guess if you've only played on PS3?"... etc...

stuff like that?... the obvious trolling?...

or does my join date of... today... mean i shouldn't respond?

well how many days should i wait in your book?...

and what was ironic? maybe you should go read my first post in this thread and point out my trolling?... you know the rich irony you allude to?...

you sir... are testing my apathy...
Old 06-01-07, 05:40 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Gladius
Cannons and Catepults
Old 06-01-07, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
my responding to several posts of "he must not have played FPS on computers?"... "i guess if you've only played on PS3?"... etc...
I was the one that said you probably haven't played many PC FPS games, and I still wonder if you have. You said you have been playing since the '70s, but that conveniently does not answer whether you have played any PC FPS.

You said you think Resistance is the best FPS because of its AI, online play, replay value, etc. Resistance is not unique at all in those categories which if you have played many FPS, you should know.

You say I must judge a game by graphics? I have no idea where you draw that conclusion from. You are really grabbing at straws there. Did you read my first post, which was the second post in this topic? I listed several games I consider addicting. With the exception of Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, every game I listed is old and most of them were never considered to have "amazing graphics" in their time anyway. It should be fairly obvious that I do not place high importance on graphics.

Oh and for your information, here are just a few FPS games that kick Resistance square in the nuts:
Half-life 1 and 2
Deus Ex
No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
Far Cry (PC original, not the Instincts console bastardization)
Alien vs Predator 2
Perfect Dark (the original, not Zero)
Old 06-01-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gunbound. I play pretty much everyday and end up losing myself in it 4 - 5 hours
Old 06-01-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Probably Super Puzzle Fighter II.
Old 06-01-07, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

World of Warcraft. I gave it up a couple times and now I'm back again.
Old 06-01-07, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

taffer you are like most trolls...

you try to start arguments for no reason...

and you don't know what you are talking about when you do...

play whatever games you like and ease up on the trolling...

the name of this thread is not "what games does 'taffer the troll' think are best" is it? if that were the title your posts at me might have some relevance...
Old 06-01-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by slop101
Crackdown, by a long-shot, at least until I maxed out my character (and I've been playing video games since '81). I guess there's a reason it's called Crackdown...
So it was addicting for five days?
Old 06-01-07, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Guitar Hero 2
Oblivion
Halo
Halo 2
NFL 2K5
Intelligent Qube
Tomb Raider 1,2,3
Atari 2600 Video Pinball
Circus Atari
Baseball Stars
Tempest (Arcade)
Old 06-01-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Everquest 2... I just don't seem to get bored, I have played since release. I am in control though so it comes second to pretty much anything else.

In my older days, Civilization took control of my life...
Old 06-01-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But you see, we respect taffer....who are you exactly?
Old 06-01-07, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
So it was addicting for five days?
I'm still playing Crackdown pretty regularly. I've got a couple orbs left, and a few of the races before I've got the game 100% complete. It's great fun co-op as well, so I'll probably help a buddy finish his up with 100% as well, even if I'm fully done.
Old 06-01-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno. It's been awhile since I've been addicted to a game. I used to be pretty addicted to RTS like Warcraft II, III, Starcraft and C&C. I used to also get really addicted to turn-based strategies like Civ and AoE -- addicted meaning playing almost daily until wee hours in the morning.

I used to get pretty addicted to MUDs (text based MMORPGs).

It's been many many years since I've been seriously addicted to anything though.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.