DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Poll: Do you try to have games from every genre represented in your collection? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/501601-poll-do-you-try-have-games-every-genre-represented-your-collection.html)

Yavin 05-25-07 10:55 AM

Do you try to have games from every genre represented in your collection?

Personally, I like having almost every genre of game represented in my collection. That way, no matter what kind of game I'm in the mood for, I have something to play. Also, it prevents things from getting stale, since I may get tired of playing the same type of game a lot. I've been doing so since my Gamecube days and have continued this trend with the DS.

But what about the rest of yous guys?

PixyJunket 05-25-07 11:00 AM

I've got from NES to Wii. No pre-NES or HD stuff (yet).

Jeremy517 05-25-07 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
I've got from NES to Wii. No pre-NES or HD stuff (yet).

Spoiler:
Those aren't genres

Jeremy517 05-25-07 11:05 AM

No. It would be silly to keep games that I don't like just because they're in a different genre from other games I have. I just keep games I enjoy and think I'll replay, regardless of platform and genre.

PixyJunket 05-25-07 11:06 AM

Oops. :)

Yeah, I think I have some form of every genre out there.

taffer 05-25-07 11:28 AM

No there are some genres I just can't stand. I don't like JRPGs, sports and racing games, or cutesy/obscure Japanese games.

I play western RPGs, action, adventure, FPS, RTS, horror, and some platforming.

darkside 05-25-07 12:13 PM

No. I hate shooters (the first person kind mostly) and don't want many of them in my collection. I also have little interest in most sports games or racing games.

My collection will always be heavy in Japanese RPGs and Adventure type games.

JasonF 05-25-07 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
No there are some genres I just can't stand. I don't like JRPGs, sports and racing games, or cutesy/obscure Japanese games.

I play western RPGs, action, adventure, FPS, RTS, horror, and some platforming.

:lol: I'm so stupid. I read this and thought "Wow -- I didn't know there were any RPGs set in a Western (i.e. cowboys and indians) setting, let alone enough for it to be considered its own genre! I've got to ask taffer to recommend some good ones."

About 10 seconds later, I realized you were distinguishing western-style RPGs from Japanese-style RPGs. But now I wish some developer would create an RPG set in the late-19th century American West.

darkside 05-25-07 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
:lol: I'm so stupid. I read this and thought "Wow -- I didn't know there were any RPGs set in a Western (i.e. cowboys and indians) setting, let alone enough for it to be considered its own genre!

Wild Arms!

KurrptSenate 05-25-07 12:38 PM

I don't try it. I guess it just works out that way

slop101 05-25-07 12:57 PM

I have games from most genres, but not all of them.

For example I hate strategy games, and don't own a single one, along with Sim-like games - but that's about it - I have plenty of games from all other genres.

But of the genres I'm not too keen on, I only have a small handfull of the best games from from those genres - like sports games. Whereas I'm a huge fan of platformers, fighters and shooters, and I'll even get a kick out of the mediocre games from those genres.

Michael Corvin 05-25-07 12:59 PM

Nope. I've adopted the "beat it and sell it" method this gen to get maximum dollars for my sale. I only keep the cream of the crop that MAY get played again.

Even if I did keep them I don't play RPGs or fighting games so those wouldn't be represented anyway.

boredsilly 05-25-07 01:31 PM

No way. But I do have games from every genre I like to play though, even if I didn't plan it that way.

XavierMike 05-25-07 01:49 PM

I'm not big on strategy or puzzle, so I don't have any of tose. I have almost everything else.

The Bus 05-25-07 02:49 PM

Yeah. I like all genres, though not all equally. FPSs and RPGs are probably near the bottom eventhough some of my all-time favorite games are in those genres.

"Sports" is probably the one that's worst represented. I'm not a fan of the League+Year Roster Update for $60.

Gideon68 05-25-07 02:54 PM

I have most every genre.

PixyJunket 05-25-07 02:56 PM

I've got sports covered thank to Mario bringing the fun back to the sim sports world. ;)

DodgingCars 05-25-07 03:09 PM

I hadn't in the past, though I may consider it for this generation. I don't like all genres though, so it'd just be games I like in genres I like. But I don't have any need to keep it balanced.... Just would be nice to have variety.

Shagrath 05-25-07 03:13 PM

I don't specifically buy games just because I need to fill a genre "slot", however I have a rather diverse taste in games, so it works out that I have quite a few genres represented in my library. I don't like every genre (like RTSs or ARPGs), but I've got more than five genres solidly represented, I'm sure.

Trevor 05-26-07 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Personally, I like having almost every genre of game represented in my collection. That way, no matter what kind of game I'm in the mood for, I have something to play.

I use this thinking to justify owning so many DVDs (over 2000).

Joe Molotov 05-26-07 01:48 AM

No, just the ones that I play. Mostly RPGs, Action/Adventure, Platformers, that kind of stuff. And FPSs and Adventure games on the PC.

gotrice487 05-26-07 02:48 AM

I don't try, I buy what I like and if every genre is represented then it was on accident

Supermallet 05-26-07 10:25 AM

I don't like sports games, or any game that uses a card battle system. Since I have a Mac, I barely play RTS games (although I will be getting Starcraft II, thank you Blizzard).

Josh H 05-26-07 10:32 AM

Nope. There are genres I don't like at all, why would I buy games in those.

tonyc3742 05-26-07 10:54 AM

Agreed. I buy and keep games I like. I'll sometimes give a game a try, based on rental, recommendations, or good price/deal, if it's a genre I'm not usually into, so I've got a couple of onesy/twosies (I think I have 2 baseball games, a Sega MLB for PS2, and RBI 95 on Gen/32x), but I don't try to buy games just because they're underrepresented in my collection. With one exception--I will sometimes consider a game based on its multiplayer capability and fun, esp. for non gamers such as my parents (Hot Shots Golf, for instance, although interestingly enough my dad also liked Ratchet and Clank and Culdcept).