Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stopped really caring about the RE series when RE0 came out. I have to say that with the integration of Wii controls and a budget price I may just get this or certainly at the very least rent it.
Old 06-26-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
I stopped really caring about the RE series when RE0 came out. I have to say that with the integration of Wii controls and a budget price I may just get this or certainly at the very least rent it.
Same here until I bought RE4 for $10 at TRU clearance and RE4 is so much better than any of the previous REs. Got RE4 Wii last week and the new control is pretty good (wiimote aiming is awesome). I am just alittle burned out from RE4 since I played so much of it about 1 year ago.
Old 06-26-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
It seems that the big difference between this Wii verson of RE4 and the others is the lack of available ammo lying around - though a lot more money to shop with.

This makes sense, as it's easier to shoot things with the Wii-mote, leading to less wasted bullets - but I still wish there was a little more ammo.

I do have to say that some of the things that were tough for me in the cube version were way easy in the Wii verson, and vice-versa. For example, on that gondola ride where you have to pick people off before they shoot you, I remember having to try that over and over on the Cube, but I got through it on my first try, no problems (no even a single wasted shot) on the Wii. Where as in the garden maze with the dogs, I kept getting hung up with the Wii's controler due to the narrow corners, and getting flanked, and I had to do that section over and over, where as on the Cube, I had gotten through it on my first try.
Old 06-26-07, 11:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101
It seems that the big difference between this Wii verson of RE4 and the others is the lack of available ammo lying around - though a lot more money to shop with.
Isn't that a "feature" from the PS2 port? I never played the PS2 version, but I seem to remember a lot of people talking about how it had much less ammo but more money. The Cube version had no ammo shortage at all. I ended the game with my inventory jam-packed full with ammo, and I had to leave tons of full ammo clips behind because I had no room for them.

Originally Posted by slop101
For example, on that gondola ride where you have to pick people off before they shoot you, I remember having to try that over and over on the Cube, but I got through it on my first try, no problems (no even a single wasted shot) on the Wii.
The gondola ride is simple, even on the Cube, if you buy the sniper rifle from the merchant right before this part. Yeah, I agree trying to make those long range shots with a handgun is a bitch, but the rifle makes it easy as pie.
Old 06-26-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never bought the rifle - I did try it out, but went back to the save before and thought I'd just save the coin for better guns and upgrades. The rifle was never too fun to use, since so much shooting is done in close quarters.
Old 06-26-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the rifle was really fun, but they never gave me any ammo for the gun, so i wound up just selling the dumb thing
Old 06-26-07, 01:21 PM
Banned

Money wasn't a problem for me even in the Cube version. I had my handgun, shotgun, and rifle full upgraded by the end of the game, and my magnum had max firepower but was missing a few reload speed and ammo capacity upgrades. Nothing major.

Yeah, most of the game is close quarters combat, but there are quite a few places where a long range weapon is very very helpful. The gondola ride as mentioned,
Spoiler:
the couple segments where you have to protect Ashley have you shooting from long range, the Salazar boss is long range, shooting the smallish parasite on the back of the Wolverine-like creatures, the minigun guys, etc. just to name a few.

I was just thinking, how do you kill those regenerator creatures without a rifle? The parasites inside them can only be seen with the thermal scope, and you need a rifle to use the thermal scope.
Old 06-26-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
Yeah, most of the game is close quarters combat, but there are quite a few places where a long range weapon is very very helpful. The gondola ride as mentioned,
Spoiler:
the couple segments where you have to protect Ashley have you shooting from long range, the Salazar boss is long range, shooting the smallish parasite on the back of the Wolverine-like creatures, the minigun guys, etc. just to name a few.
The Wii-mote aiming makes these instances moot, as you can shoot all these things just as effectively with a handgun and no scope
Spoiler:
I was just thinking, how do you kill those regenerator creatures without a rifle? The parasites inside them can only be seen with the thermal scope, and you need a rifle to use the thermal scope.
I was worried about those at first, but they're not completely regenerating - and when you have to kill one, there's usually an explosive tank around - so you just get them near one, shoot the tank, which knocks them down to less then half-power and finish them off with either a grenade, a shot from the magnum, or a burst of the TMP. Done and done - I actually sold that thermal scope for a magnum upgrade instead...
Old 06-26-07, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just use the rifle/thermal scope to inspect them, finding out where the critical points are, then switch to another weapon and shoot those areas.
Old 06-26-07, 02:14 PM

im at the castle with the girl, but I'm under the impression that my ammo cache is approaching zero, and I may need to restart the game because of this

:/
Old 06-26-07, 02:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Just use the rifle/thermal scope to inspect them, finding out where the critical points are, then switch to another weapon and shoot those areas.
Yes, but that method does not work if you do not have a rifle to begin with (slop101 said he never bought the rifle) since you cannot equip the thermal scope alone.

I never knew the regenerators stopped regenerating. I was curious one time, and I unloaded over a hundred shotgun shells into one of them, and he still kept regenerating and coming at me. Maybe the explosive barrels stop their regeneration somehow...

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
im at the castle with the girl, but I'm under the impression that my ammo cache is approaching zero, and I may need to restart the game because of this
This is kind of a cheap trick, but whenever you buy an ammo capacity upgrade from the merchant, he automatically completely reloads your gun for free. That is why I always try to buy an ammo capacity upgrade only when my gun is empty. It is especially helpful for guns like the magnum since magnum ammo is so hard to find. I would unload a full magnum clip of ammo on a boss, but I would never reload. Instead I would go to a merchant, buy an upgrade, and get a complete reload for free.
Old 06-26-07, 02:28 PM

interesting

I tried using my knife more to conserve ammo. Not a good idea on those monks that have the alien growth coming from their torsos. Took my head clean off with one hit
Old 06-26-07, 02:45 PM
Banned

I only ever use the knife on enemies lying on the ground and to smash item boxes. I never use it on enemies that are actually attacking me.

Do you shoot enemies in the kneecap or head? Headshots do 1.5 times the damage and stun them, and kneecap shots also stun them. A stunned enemy is open to the kick/suplex move. That move saves ammo too and is more effective than the knife.
Old 06-26-07, 02:56 PM

I try to shoot at the head at all times, unless I need to buy time, in which case I will shoot them in the knee cap

I have been using the kick move more often, but it took me a little to get used to the enemy animations as to when you can use the move
Old 06-26-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was curious one time, and I unloaded over a hundred shotgun shells into one of them, and he still kept regenerating and coming at me. Maybe the explosive barrels stop their regeneration somehow...
That's gotta be it - the explotion from the barrel and the ensuing fire must take care of the little thing you can only see with the scope. I'm assuming that's why they have the barrels at each location where you encounter one of those guys.
Old 06-26-07, 04:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having played this version, I'm even more disapointed that RE: Umbrella Chronicles for Wii is going to be a rail-based shooter. When they announced it was revisiting places from past games, I was hoping we would get places and scenes from the old RE games redone in the 3d style of RE4. And with these controls I think that idea would have been even cooler.
Old 06-26-07, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by MasterofDVD
Yeah don't let that stop you; I pretty much hated all previous RE games due to the control scheme, but RE4 is in a whole other class and is truly excellent. Hopefully future RE games will follow RE4s lead and not revert to the old style.
Old 06-26-07, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DRG
Having played this version, I'm even more disapointed that RE: Umbrella Chronicles for Wii is going to be a rail-based shooter. When they announced it was revisiting places from past games, I was hoping we would get places and scenes from the old RE games redone in the 3d style of RE4. And with these controls I think that idea would have been even cooler.
You never know. With all the positive buzz, they could revisit that decision.
Old 06-26-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think RE4 might have just passed Zelda: Ocarina of Time as my favorite game ever. It was already amazing, but these controls just feel ridiculously right for this game.

If anything, the speed and precision might make the game a bit easy on normal mode...but they sort of make up for it by witholding ammo.

Brilliant execution overall.
Old 06-27-07, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Another trick to saving ammo is to shoot them in the head or knee and run up and kick/suplex them. Then when they are on the ground just use the knife until they die. Of course this is much better when there are only one or two enemies around.

You can still hit the parasites on the regenerators with any weapon you just won't know exactly where they are located.

As far as the gondola ride, yeah, I had to repeat that thing over and over again because I had the Red 9 with the stock and refused to buy the sniper rifle because I just knew there would be a much better rifle that I would want to buy in the future. Probably the hardest part of the game for me.

That and the el gigante but that was mainly because my first run through I wasn't getting anywhere near that thing so I never got the option to run up its arm and slash away at the parasite. As a result I was just shooting that thing with bullets whenever it would appear. Suffice it to say I used up a lot of ammo that way.
Old 06-27-07, 08:02 AM

that's exactly what I've been doing.

I kinda squandered all my money on dumb shit, so I had to load a save about 2 hours back

much better results mind you
Old 06-27-07, 08:52 AM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
Ok, after a couple more hours of play, I'm even more convinced that with some minor tweaks this control scheme could do wonders for FPS's on the Wii (I hate all the "bounding box" methods employed so far).

I too, have noticed the lack of ammo compared to the GC version. I'm heading back to the village right now and almost ran out of pistol ammo(I'm carrying the scoped rifle, shotgun and pistol). Really makes you conserve ammo and use your knife for close encounters!
Old 06-27-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I still haven't gotten mine from Family Video. They must have checked the shipping box, "when you get around to it" at the post office.
Old 06-27-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I guess I have been too liberal with my use of ammo. I'll try headshots, and either I get it and the guy goes down, or I end up firing six or eight shots into him (maybe I'm missing). I'm starting to get a little more creative with the attacks, like y'all say, starting with a headshot then moving to body/leg, or getting close and knifing him.
My only complaints/suggestions for improvements:
* add strafe ability
* quick change of weapons (even switching between two like in Diablo 2) (unless this already exists, I blitzed through the instructions)
* optional subtitles in cutscenes
Other than those, I really like RE4: Wii, and the aiming/firing controls are great--I actually like B-trigger to ready and A-to-fire. If it's got 'invert y-axis', I need to try that, I find myself moving the opposite direction when in aiming mode.
Well worth 25 bucks.
Old 06-27-07, 09:13 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I tried the Gamecube controller a bit (I never played the original). Wow! It's like a totally different game. The Wii controllers are a lot more intuitive (and easier).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.