DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
Video Game Talk
HD Reviews

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-07-07, 11:07 AM   #26
timewaster
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'd buy anything associated with Jade Raymond.
She is so damn hot
Old 10-07-07, 07:15 PM   #27
taffer
Banned

Well, my worst nightmare concerning Assassin's Creed has just been confirmed. Supposedly, a comic book of Assassin's Creed was sent to some Gamestop stores. Someone scanned and uploaded it. I will put it in spoiler tags because it could be a big spoiler if you haven't been following the rumors of this game.

Spoiler:
Ubisoft has been hinting that there will be a sci-fi/Matrix-style virtual reality twist to the game. The comic book confirms that to be true.

Old 10-07-07, 09:18 PM   #28
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

That was pretty much confirmed months ago when Brittany Murphy or whoever the actress is in the game blabbed about it on a talk show.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 10-07-07, 09:41 PM   #29
RichC2
DVD Talk Hero

As long as the gameplay is good, I'm game for whatever plot they throw at us.
Old 10-07-07, 10:30 PM   #30
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

As long as 90% of the game takes place in the Middle Ages I'm ok with it.
Old 10-07-07, 11:32 PM   #31
lordwow
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If the game is good, then this setup could be great

Spoiler:
Since obviously they could recreate other time periods as well, in future games
Old 10-08-07, 09:02 AM   #32
Lateralus
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah OK, I'm going to look like the South Park kids after I finish this game. I looks really awsome!
Old 10-08-07, 09:42 AM   #33
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwow
If the game is good, then this setup could be great

Spoiler:
Since obviously they could recreate other time periods as well, in future games
Definitely. It also isn't outside the realm of possibility that it might happen in this game as well.

Old 10-08-07, 10:38 AM   #34
Decker
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffer
Well, my worst nightmare concerning Assassin's Creed has just been confirmed...
That's your worst nightmare? Mine is that it might control terribly, have awkward fight mechanics and end up as some sort of a hybrid of Spider-man 3 and Lair.

GAME CENTER ID : DECKER 01

I haven't seen Evil Dead 2.....yet.
Old 10-13-07, 03:02 PM   #35
Fandango
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Both have their own challenges. Right now we have a big challenge on the 360 to make it fit on a DVD, to put five languages, to put all the data on eight gigs. On the Blu-ray side we're really good, but then the memory is quite different. How we handle memory is really different between the two machines and we're struggling right now on the PS3." says Desilets.

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?id=9...eloping+issues

I am Worf, son of Mogh, I now take my place as first officer. I serve the captain, but I stand for the crew.
Old 10-13-07, 03:46 PM   #36
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

That's a silly argument to make. They don't have to put five languages on a single disc, they could easily do different languages per region, you know, like it's always been done.

Old 10-13-07, 04:41 PM   #37
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

I noticed all the different languages on Heavenly Sword and thought that was kinda cool but pointless. I just hope this game doesn't get delayed.
Old 10-26-07, 12:29 PM   #38
timewaster
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm starting to hear bad things about this, which really sucks since i've been wanting to play this for a while.
complaints were - unnecessarily complex controls, very repetitive fights.

so when is the Jade Raymond Maxim issue coming out?
Old 10-26-07, 06:48 PM   #39
kenage

I do not know about a Maxim issue for Jade Raymond coming out timewaster, but if you go to the Europe opening you can meet her.
Old 10-26-07, 08:21 PM   #40
Michael Corvin
DVD Talk Godfather

Quick google search shows Dec.

Old 10-27-07, 06:37 AM   #41
taffer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster
complaints were - unnecessarily complex controls
I read about a long time ago when they were showing off the early build, but I haven't heard anyone mention bad controls in the nearly complete build.
Old 10-27-07, 10:36 AM   #42
Anubis2005X
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
I read about a long time ago when they were showing off the early build, but I haven't heard anyone mention bad controls in the nearly complete build.
Yeah, it's not like they're making you control him with SixAxis like Lair...(shudder).
Old 11-07-07, 10:53 PM   #43
Brent L
DVD Talk Legend

Well, the first review is in - GameInformer :

Spoiler:

CONCEPT:
Journey across the medieval Holy Land as a death-dealing assassin in one of the most innovative game releases in recent years
GRAPHICS:
Remarkable visuals transport you to the past and immerse you in the action
SOUND:
From music to voice work to ambient sound effects, the aural component only deepens the involvement
PLAYABILITY:
An entirely new approach to controls is a tremendous success – as intuitive as it is functional
ENTERTAINMENT:
A lengthy game with lots of surprises. Too much repetition is the only flaw in what is otherwise a must-play experience
REPLAY:
High

Quote:
Assassin’s Creed is the type of game that comes along only rarely – a title that innovates in so many areas it helps to set a new bar in various aspects of gameplay, storytelling, visuals, and controls. Simultaneously, it’s an imperfect game in which the small flaws that mar its sheen are all the more noticeable because so much of the rest of the game shines so brightly. Deep, engaging, and surprising from beginning to end, Assassin’s Creed’s merits will be debated for a long time. However, as a brave attempt at delivering something unique and audacious, it excels.

The surprises start right off the bat, when you power on the game and spend several minutes second-guessing if they put the right disc in your case. Many of you will have already heard about this opening twist, but if not, I won’t be the one to ruin it for you. Suffice to say, the context in which you find yourself a medieval assassin is more complex than it appears.

Once the real action gets going, you’ll wander a huge open world – three massive cities and the connecting countryside. It’s a strange mix of meticulous historical recreation and totally open level design. Climbing and leaping can get you to almost any place in the world – usually by any number of different paths. Hero Altaïr is as much ninja as medieval warrior as he goes about the grim business of hunting down evil men who are oppressing the people of the Holy Land. Rarely has a character without superpowers or magic been quite so powerful and exciting to vicariously inhabit, whether he’s perching on a high tower of the Acre Cathedral or countering the blows of a Templar knight.

With its intuitive puppeteering button scheme, there’s a fundamental shift in play control at work. Where most games are primarily concerned with the question “Where do you want to go?”, Assassin’s Creed puts equal weight on “How do you want to get there?”. By designating all actions as high or low profile, movement becomes less about individual button presses and more about situational observation. Further, each face button is like a part of the body that changes contextually to match the situation. In a fight, your open hand button might grab a foe, but when running along rooftops the same button will reach for a distant ledge. While seemingly a minor variation on a familiar theme, this approach to control is one of the game’s greatest triumphs.

Through a long and complex narrative, you’ll repeatedly play through what might be loosely called levels. This gameplay arc is split into several components. The first involves the journey to and exploration of a location, followed by an investigation of the target. With the knowledge gleaned, you’ll finally make the hazardous approach to your well-protected victim to complete the murderous deed, before sprinting away to safety. While this design is a lot of fun, it eventually feels mildly repetitive – particularly the investigations. More variety in these activities would have been welcome.

When you’re ready for a break from the story, a huge number of collectibles are scattered through the game – over 400 hard-to-find pick-ups and 60 secondary assassinations. It’s a great addition only marred by the fact that none of these collectibles ever yield any genuine reward beyond Gamer Points and Achievements.

If only to experience the unique world and amazing movement and combat, gamers owe it to themselves to try Ubisoft’s big holiday release. Its stunning visual style, high concept story, and wildly open level design are like nothing else, even if too much repetition begins to frustrate in the later hours. It’s a game people will still be talking about five years from now. Come to think of it, they may have a lot more to talk about by then.

-MATT MILLER
Quote:
Second Opinion JOE JUBA 9.5
Taking a life is not a task to be accepted lightly. While some games trivialize the act, none infuse it with haunting gravity more elegantly than Assassin’s Creed. As you guide Altaïr through his missions, the game transforms you into an angel of death; the puppeteering control scheme and cinematic camera makes every kill feel significant, and every leap of faith a triumph. The gameplay can instantly transform from careful, measured movement to a heart-pounding escape with a dozen city guards on your trail. The chase is enhanced by the seamless integration of free-running, which has you traversing towering spires and residential districts in exhilarating ways you have to see to believe. With its excellent mechanics and surprising story, the only area where Assassin’s Creed leaves itself vulnerable is in the variety of environments and investigation missions. The crowds and architecture provide endless opportunities for experimentation, however, so there are always ways to stay entertained. Death is an inevitable part of life, so make sure you cross Assassin’s Creed off of your to-do list before your time comes. Sooner would be better than later.
Old 11-08-07, 01:09 AM   #44
PopcornTreeCt
DVD Talk Hero

That is great. Can't wait.
Old 11-08-07, 01:18 AM   #45
nickdawgy
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds good, and to think I haven't even gotten started with Call of Duty 4 yet
Old 11-08-07, 01:19 AM   #46
thegame370
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, great review! I havent really been so excited about a game for a long time. Watching tonights episode of South Park they ran a bunch of cool and different promos for this, the game looks incredible!
Old 11-08-07, 05:52 AM   #47
taffer
Banned

Spoiler:
Quote:
The surprises start right off the bat, when you power on the game and spend several minutes second-guessing if they put the right disc in your case. Many of you will have already heard about this opening twist, but if not, I won’t be the one to ruin it for you. Suffice to say, the context in which you find yourself a medieval assassin is more complex than it appears.
Sounds like the futuristic sci-fi twist will be there right from the beginning.
Old 11-08-07, 11:21 AM   #48
JasonF
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Spoiler:

Sounds like the futuristic sci-fi twist will be there right from the beginning.
Interesting. I wonder if the developers intended it that way from the begining, or if that was an addition late in the process due to certain facts about the game being leaked.

Spoiler:
In other words, did they figure "Everyone's heard about the twist, so we might as well stop trying to make it a twist and own it from the beginning."
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 11-08-07, 12:07 PM   #49
dvd182
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Interesting. I wonder if the developers intended it that way from the begining, or if that was an addition late in the process due to certain facts about the game being leaked.

Spoiler:
In other words, did they figure "Everyone's heard about the twist, so we might as well stop trying to make it a twist and own it from the beginning."
Spoiler:

I'm guessing it was in there from the beginning, which is why Kristen Bell probably didn't figure it would be a big deal to reveal. If that was the one and only defining twist, a la "I see dead people," I think she would have been a bit more hesitant to say something.
Old 11-08-07, 12:25 PM   #50
slop101
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
It had to be there from the very beginning because just the pause-screen gives it away
Sponsored Links