Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official ** Assassin's Creed ** Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JasonF
That's not true. You get the ledge grab and the throwing knives, both of which help you outside of combat.
I stand corrected....the ledge grab did come in handy. The knives...not so much. I really only started using them near the end to avoid fighting all the time.

I just think something could of been done with the missions to give them some variety and change them over the course of the game. I mean eavesdropping missions were boring as hell and barely qualified as a mission. It would of been great to hang outside a window of scale a tower to hear a conversation inside a building. I think being able to blend as a monk was a neat thing but why not make it so you can wear other outfits to get to other areas. There is no doubt they had to save stuff for the sequel so I hope they listen to all the criticisms people had about the first one.
Old 02-08-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to know if there was any big difference between the 360 and PS3 versions. I got the PS3 when it was on sale for $30, but am willing to pay the extra $10 for the 360 version if it's any better (graphics, frame rate, etc.) I know about the lack of achievements for the PS3, but is there anything other than that?
Old 02-09-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanted to know if there was any big difference between the 360 and PS3 versions. I got the PS3 when it was on sale for $30, but am willing to pay the extra $10 for the 360 version if it's any better (graphics, frame rate, etc.) I know about the lack of achievements for the PS3, but is there anything other than that?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28005.html

heres a HD video comparing the two, From the Video, the 360 looks sharper and color is better. PS3 is softer and washed out more
Old 02-10-08, 07:05 PM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I'd like to know this too. I'm in the same boat. I've got the PS3 version and haven't played it yet. Thinking of changing to my new 360 if there's some difference. Switching just for the Achievements isn't worth the hassle. I'm more concerned about framerate, load times, slowdown and glitches.

The video at GameTrailers only really shows a difference in brightness, and that could be due to their particular setup.

Gamespot says, "There are few differences between the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions. PS3 owners are blessed with a slightly more solid frame rate, although the 360 version features a little more contrast in the lighting, so it's pretty much a wash."

IGN says, "These big open worlds, which are fully interactive, do come at a severe cost on PS3. There is considerable texture pop-in and noticeable framerate issues. Playing back-to-back with the 360 version, it's obvious that Ubisoft did not devote enough resources to the PS3 edition. The framerate is considerably worse, so much so that it begins to affect gameplay in the later levels. You can get through the first two-thirds of Assassin with the framerate being just an annoyance, but it becomes more of an issue for the final third of the missions."

Those two reviews seem to contradict each other. Anyone else have some input?
Old 02-15-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just picked this up for the PS3 today (couldn't resist the $39.99 price at Future Shop plus they had a $5 off coupon as well).

From what I've read in this thread, the storyline is somewhat lackluster, as is the ending, but apparently the gameplay is what you make of it (it can be really boring or really fun). I'm intrigued by the graphics and the huge, open-ended sandbox of the in-game world.

Anyone care to share how many hours of gameplay I should expect to get out of this title, and are there big issues with framerate drops or freezing?
Old 02-15-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I finished this last night. This game had so many things going for it, great game mechanics, with the fighting/assassinations and free running, impressive graphics, expansive environments to explore, etc. The foundation of the game is incredibly solid.

Unfortunately the foundation of the game wasn't supported by the copy and paste missions, storyline, and environments. I think they should have chopped off two of the cities, and just had one city where every area felt unique in terms of characters and locations. That would have allowed them to concentrate more on really using unique and in depth missions to pulled you into the environment. I think sometimes developers are so focused on impressing everyone with a square miles #, that it leaves the environments feeling very empty.

They could have chopped off about 4 or 5 of the assassination missions, and really focused on fleshing out a few of them with more variety. I would have been much happier with a shorter but deeper experience than the longer but shallow and repetitive experience.
Old 02-17-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm hoping they learned from this first game, and can make the sequel a truly great game.
Old 03-31-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I (finally) starting playing this the other day & I can't put it down. This is probably the best game (graphically) that I have played, with the exception of (maybe)COD4. I'm into mem block 6 and I still don't find the game to be repititious. I like the missions, the free roam, the side quests (flags & towers), etc... Plus, lol...man is it pretty to watch!!!
Old 04-01-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep, one of my top 5 games from 2007. You have to love the atmosphere of the game.
Old 04-01-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
I (finally) starting playing this the other day & I can't put it down. This is probably the best game (graphically) that I have played, with the exception of (maybe)COD4. I'm into mem block 6 and I still don't find the game to be repititious. I like the missions, the free roam, the side quests (flags & towers), etc... Plus, lol...man is it pretty to watch!!!
You should see it running on a high end PC, it absolutely dwarfs its console counterparts.
Old 04-03-08, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

... from the "not sure if this has been mentioned department" ...

I finally started playing Assassin's Creed yesterday ... and I noticed something ... Desmond sounded awfully familiar ... he sounded like Nate from Uncharted (I already played and beat Uncharted for the PS3) ... so I searched imdb.com for the voice actors of each game ... and there it is, same guy for both games ... Nolan North.
Old 04-03-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually went back and got all the flags in the Kingdom the other day. THAT was fun. It took about 4 hours.
Old 04-03-08, 03:15 PM

My roommate just recently bought this. Perfect situation for me, I can just play through it, and if it gets old, it's not mine. Sounds like there's a lot of positive talk about the game here though, so I'll probably like it.
Old 04-04-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sigh, i can't get into this game! what the hell, why do i even have to control the bartender? doesn't make sense, since you can even punch the scientist or flirt with the assistant. I'll get back to it after finishing up R6V2...
Old 04-04-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ocelot
sigh, i can't get into this game! what the hell, why do i even have to control the bartender? doesn't make sense, since you can even punch the scientist or flirt with the assistant. I'll get back to it after finishing up R6V2...
What? Controlling the bartender? Where? And yeah - sucks that you can't punch everyone you want to eh?
Old 04-07-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts
Originally Posted by kmac2878
... from the "not sure if this has been mentioned department" ...

I finally started playing Assassin's Creed yesterday ... and I noticed something ... Desmond sounded awfully familiar ... he sounded like Nate from Uncharted (I already played and beat Uncharted for the PS3) ... so I searched imdb.com for the voice actors of each game ... and there it is, same guy for both games ... Nolan North.
Don't forget that he was also Raphael in TMNT where he co-starred with James Arnold Taylor, who is the voice of Ratchet in Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction.
Old 04-07-08, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
What? Controlling the bartender? Where? And yeah - sucks that you can't punch everyone you want to eh?
I think he means Desmond, whoo at first identifies himself as a bartender.
Old 04-11-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished the game proper last night (only need to collect the remaining flacgs and do a few informer missions that had me frustrated to complete the whole game) and I'm rather mixed on this game. The gameplay was usually fun but it did get repetitive toward the end. I couldn't stand any of the stuff in the future/present. I was always so pissed when the game made me endure all those lengthy non-skipable conversations. The two boss fights at the end where very unimaginative (brought back memories of the lame final boss fight at the end of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time) and I was disappointed I never got the cool crossbow featured in the intro movie.

The hints at when/where the sequel will take place are intruiging. Sadly, those little teasers are more intruiging than anything offered in the whole game. It's a solid game to be sure but hardly the great game I was hoping it'd be.
Old 04-25-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Starting today Gamestop has this for 50% off. $29.99 for PS3 or 360 versions. I got the limited edition off of e bay a week ago for $10 more, but love the game so far. It is a little repetitive, but the graphics alone are some of the best I have ever seen on a console.
Old 04-25-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
I'm close to finishing this game as well. I think I'm entirely over the "collect the items" achievements in games... even with a guide, I have a hard time finding the last flags in a given area. I also agree with some critics that the insta-kill-parry move is way, way overpowered, and makes it too easy to just kill your pursuers than to try to run or do something else.
Old 04-25-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm on the final Jerusalem level, about to beat the game and I'm enjoying it, but it's good, not "great". For me, I'm enjoying the present day storyline more than the one set in the past.

Saw this post a few pages back:
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Doesn't the game later on show that Lucy has a missing finger? I thought it was a bit of an assassin club members thing.
Unless she loses a finger during the game, then no. She has all 10 fingers.
Old 04-25-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm close to finishing this game as well. I think I'm entirely over the "collect the items" achievements in games... even with a guide, I have a hard time finding the last flags in a given area.
What sucks is I originally wasn't going to go for the flags. Somewhere around the second level I started going out of my way to grab a few. The third level made me obsessive in trying to find them, and ultimately, I printed out the location maps for them. The problem is, now I don't know which one's I already have, so when I don't see one that's supposed to be there, am I missing it, or did I already get it? I need less than 10 in each city except Masyef (sp?).
Old 04-25-08, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
What sucks is I originally wasn't going to go for the flags. Somewhere around the second level I started going out of my way to grab a few. The third level made me obsessive in trying to find them, and ultimately, I printed out the location maps for them. The problem is, now I don't know which one's I already have, so when I don't see one that's supposed to be there, am I missing it, or did I already get it? I need less than 10 in each city except Masyef (sp?).
You sound just like me. Yesterday, I decided to go find a flag map and collect all of the ones in the last area of Acre, to start off with. I also had already collected some flags, and now I'm missing one and I don't know which one? I feel like i've already checked all the locations, but it's somewhere...

I shouldn't have grabbed any, even the ones that were out in the open...
Old 04-25-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
You should see it running on a high end PC, it absolutely dwarfs its console counterparts.
what exactly do you mean by 'high end PC'?...

Old 04-25-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
So I'm on the final Jerusalem level, about to beat the game and I'm enjoying it, but it's good, not "great". For me, I'm enjoying the present day storyline more than the one set in the past..
It's the reverse for me. The present day storyline only became interesting once the game was drawing to a close.

Originally Posted by Mordred
Unless she loses a finger during the game, then no. She has all 10 fingers.
Spoiler:
Yeah, she just conceals her ring finger so Desmond can know she's a present day assassin.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.