Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Game Giveaway of the Day (free PC games)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 06:30 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

A post in another thread turned me on to http://game.giveawayoftheday.com/. For those of you who have never visited the site, each day they offer a commercial PC game (usually of the $20 or so variety) for free, providing you download and activate it that day.

The games vary from bad to good -- usually they're pretty bad. But occasionally there's a nice gem, so I thought it would be good to have a thread where we could highlight the particularly good games.

I've included a banner in my post for informational purposes, to show what the daily game is, and how much time is left on it. Mods, if this inappropriate, we can take it out.

Game Giveaway of the Day
Old 05-12-07, 06:33 PM

Today's game is Hacker Evolution. I haven't played it, but I've heard a lot about it. It has good word of mouth and reviews. It's of particular interest to me because I remember playing the original Hacker game back in the day.

http://game.giveawayoftheday.com/hacker-evolution/
Old 05-12-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this; I'd never heard of this site before. Looking at the games from the past few days, it looks like a bunch of junk games that should have been freeware to begin with, but I'll bookmark the site and check back. And I'm downloading Hacker Evolution now.
Old 05-13-07, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
Crap, looks like I missed out on Leaf Buster.
Old 05-14-07, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today's game is Rotoblox. Some sort of Tetris-esque puzzle game.
Old 05-15-07, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else playing Hacker Evolution? I made it to Level 3, and it seems pretty fun so far. It's like playing a videogame version of what hacking is like in Hollywood movies, except for the lack of fancy 3D graphics flying around the screen for no particular reason. It's like "I'll just hack into this bank computer and transfer $5000 into my account...OMG, they're tracing me! I'll route through some remote computers to try to throw them off. I can only hold them off for 72 second, though. Oh man, 30 seconds to go, but I'm 57% complete. I don't know if I'm going get it in time, I better be ready to kill the connection. Come on, come on! Oh yeah, got it with 0.6 seconds to go!"
Old 05-16-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess no one else is playing it. Well, if anyone else did get it and just haven't started it yet, be careful with your money. Upgrading your computer is kind of a bad idea early on it seems like, because your Trace % doesn't reset at the beginning of each level. So if you don't have enough money to get your trace level down, you can wind up completely stuck, and have to start the game over. I wish I had known that sooner.

Anyway, today's game, Roads of Fantasy looks kind of like a Marble Madness type game. I'm a sucker for these kinds of games, so I'm downloading this.
Old 05-17-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Today's game is a sidescrolling shoot 'em up, Jets 'n' Guns.

Looks nice.
Old 05-17-07, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I'll have to check that one out.
Old 05-19-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another 2D shmup today, ArchMage. Doesn't look as exciting as the last one, but if you like your shooters fantasy-themed...

Old 05-19-07, 05:05 PM

I've downloaded a lot from them, no adware. Some of the software installs unwanted favorites in your browser, however, or unwanted shortcuts on your desktop.