Reload this Page >

BOOK: The Ultimate History of Video Games

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 04-28-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I was looking for another book and found this one. It is AWESOME. I just started it and can't get enough of it. Did you know that Sega stands for Service Games? Or that Coleco is an acronym for Connecticut Leather Company? That pinball flippers were invented because pinball was banned as a game of chance and the flippers changed it into a game of skill? That Atari made Bushnell famous but Chuck E. Cheese made him rich?

HIGHLY recommended. Buy, borrow, check it out from the library, but it is so far a highly awesome book, and I seldom get this excited about a book. It's even won over video games, sleep, and movies. Top THAT It's by Steven L. Kent. http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Histo...7790846&sr=8-7
Old 04-28-07, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you know that the guy that created Pac-man was inspired by pizza? After taking a slice from a whole pizza, he looked at the shape, and thus the iconic form of Pac-man was born.

Did you know Pac-man was originally called Puck-man? The original Japanese arcade machines are titled Puck-man. The name was not changed to Pac-man until they decided to bring it to the US. They noticed the similarities between "puck" and another certain obscene word, and they knew it would be an easy target for vandals to change the "P" to an "F" on the machines.

Did you know Mario was originally called Jumpman? In the original Donkey Kong game, the guy's name is Jumpman. He was later renamed Mario for the Mario Bros game.

Original Puck-man arcade:

Old 04-28-07, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds cool. I'm not a hardcore gamer or a video game historian but I'll add it to my list of books to check out. Thanks for the recommendation.