Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

FFXIII Thread of chocobo ranching

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: FFXIII Thread of chocobo ranching

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think this needs to be spoilered, as this is just game background, but I still don't understand the difference between Pulse and Cocoon. I thought at first that Pulse was the surface world, and Cocoon was some floating city in the sky. But then at one point I thought the team went down to Pulse... but then they end up walking to cities that I assume are part of Cocoon? Or did they travel back to Cocoon, and if so how did they get past the metal wall or whatever shield they have surrounding it?
Pulse is the surface world - Cocoon is like a moon in the sky. When you're on Pulse you can see Cocoon up there. Cocoon is more than just a city or space station - it's big enough to be like a little world. But since it's not a natural structure, it needs upkeep by the Fal'cie to keep it up there. What might be a source of confusion is that apparently the Fal'cie built (and rebuild) Cocoon from materials on Pulse (since Pulse was there first). Which is why you might find some "Pulsian" things on Cocoon.

Also, in regards to l'Cie
Spoiler:
Do they have a way, outside of Dajh who can detect Fal'cie, to detect L'cie? If they do, why not use that to find them, and if they don't why don't these idiots cover up the markings, like Vanille does and Serah did?
Spoiler:
I don't really have anything to add aside from your own ideas. There didn't seem to be an easy way to detect L'cie aside from Dajh - and reacting when they starting using special powers. And yeah ... if you're a L'cie and don't cover up your tattoo then you're an idiot.
Old 04-12-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,495 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Pulse is the surface world - Cocoon is like a moon in the sky. When you're on Pulse you can see Cocoon up there. Cocoon is more than just a city or space station - it's big enough to be like a little world. But since it's not a natural structure, it needs upkeep by the Fal'cie to keep it up there. What might be a source of confusion is that apparently the Fal'cie built (and rebuild) Cocoon from materials on Pulse (since Pulse was there first). Which is why you might find some "Pulsian" things on Cocoon.
I'm mainly confused because they visit some of the home cities of the main characters... are these cities on Pulse or Cocoon, and if they're in Cocoon how did they get back in
Spoiler:
Since they apparently fall to Pulse early in the story, when they go to the junkyard which had the leftover pieces that were used to rebuild Cocoon. Did they rocket back up into Cocoon? Are the Guardian Forces hunting monsters within areas of Cocoon?
? Is the beach city on some kind of artificial beach in Cocoon?
Old 04-12-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm mainly confused because they visit some of the home cities of the main characters... are these cities on Pulse or Cocoon, and if they're in Cocoon how did they get back in
Spoiler:
Since they apparently fall to Pulse early in the story, when they go to the junkyard which had the leftover pieces that were used to rebuild Cocoon. Did they rocket back up into Cocoon? Are the Guardian Forces hunting monsters within areas of Cocoon?
? Is the beach city on some kind of artificial beach in Cocoon?
Those are all cities on Cocoon (like the beach city). Well, with the exception of
Spoiler:
Fang and Vanille's hometown on Pulse.
Cocoon is enormous. I don't think it's as big as our moon, but it's big enough to support multiple large cities and areas. At one point I think they talked about how some of the "natural" aspects of Cocoon (like weather and light) were controlled by the Cocoon Fal'sie. So the beach city was artificial.

I think what's confusing you are the events that take place in the "wild" areas of Cocoon. And about traveling to Pulse ...
Spoiler:
that doesn't happen until much later in the story. Then, the cut-scene shows them falling through the clouds and approaching the landscape (with all the weird and giant monsters). Earlier in the game, you're just in the wild fringes of Cocoon. And there are Pulsian monsters because I suppose they were carried along when the Fal'cie took this part of land to build Cocoon. Some of these wild areas seem to be patrolled ... others are left wild.
Old 04-12-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Yay ... I finished (the main quest). Took me 60 hours and change. Never managed to unlock chocobo riding Overall I enjoyed it. Beautiful game to look at. Like others have mentioned, this game certainly takes a few hours to get you into it. Partially because of how the plot is set up (leaving the gamer in the dark about what's going on) and the baby-steps in building up the complexity of the battle systems. Linear as hell, but that can't be unexpected if you have familiarity with JRPGs. Difficulty wasn't bad - as long as you're not shooting for all 5-star battle results. Aside from the avoidable battles where I was way over my head, there wasn't much that gave me fits. Maybe a couple of the timed "Doom" battles were the hardest for me. I like that the game was very forgiving of death. Not massive amount of replaying ... just redo the battle you lost (with a chance to change you party) no matter what your last save was.

I still have a lot of Ci'eth missions I haven't done (including getting those Chocobos!). But I think I'm taking a break from this game for the time being. I'm not one those gamers that has to get every trophy.
How do you unlock Chocobo riding?
Old 04-12-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks brainee! That makes sense, I guess I was confused about there being these wild fringes of Cocoon, and thinking that was Pulse.
Old 04-12-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
How do you unlock Chocobo riding?
Spoiler:
Well, I never did it but this is from me checking out spoilers after I finished the game ... You have to do particular Ci'eth stone missions. Then an obstruction disappears from Pulse letting you get to a new area, where there are chocobos. You'd have to look up the details, but I remember its the lower numbered stones (like under 14). Many stones are inactive (just lying on the ground) until another mission is complete, so some backtracking is needed. Keep track of the stones you find (including the inactive ones), do the missions you can, and double-check to see if stones inactivate. And you should be able to ride chocobos.
Old 04-12-10, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

This should explain why there's Pulse stuff in Cocoon. Spoilers for Chapter 4:

Spoiler:
The Vile Peaks (ヴァイルピークス, Vairu Pīkusu) is a location in Final Fantasy XIII. It is a range of mountainous peaks in Cocoon formed mostly from scrap metal. After the war with Gran Pulse, supplies were raided from the lowerworld to repair the damage done in the fight. The extra junk was dumped here, and this junk-filled terrain contains many dilapidated machines taken from Pulse. Many factions of Pulse machines fight lingering Cocoon robots here.
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Vile_Peaks
Old 04-12-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I also wanted to add that I really like the localization they did. I know there are some clunky lines, but it does seem like the mouths in the cutscenes match the words (not sure if they reanimated for that purpose) and the translations of the recaps and datafiles are really good.
Old 04-12-10, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
This should explain why there's Pulse stuff in Cocoon. Spoilers for Chapter 4:

Yeah, I thought they just dumped everything back into Pulse, which is why I was confused...
Old 04-13-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The first fight was easy. The second was brutal, but only because of Doom.
He cast Doom on me when he had probably 2 rounds of attacks left, lol sucker.

Question
Spoiler:
If you board the ship to chapter 12, is there a way to go back to grand pulse. I've completed all the Cs and D missions, but now with the added chrys and cash$ I want to try and tackle the Bs.
Old 04-14-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Old 04-14-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by actyper
He cast Doom on me when he had probably 2 rounds of attacks left, lol sucker.

Question
Spoiler:
If you board the ship to chapter 12, is there a way to go back to grand pulse. I've completed all the Cs and D missions, but now with the added chrys and cash$ I want to try and tackle the Bs.
Soon enough.
Old 04-14-10, 12:12 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101

It helps if you think of FF not as a game, but as a 40-60 hour anime story with quick time events.
Old 04-14-10, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
I still don't get why people say the first part is boring and/or the tutorial is 30+ hours. They show you new things often during the game, but it's not a tutorial.

It helps if you think of FF not as a game, but as a 40-60 hour anime story with quick time events.
Oh, I see what you did there.

Anyhow, I finished it. Just over 50 hours and I have a ton of marks and sidequests to do. I can't say that I was too sad that
Spoiler:
Vanille and Fang turned to crystals at the end because I was tired of them long ago.

Good ending, though

Also, is it like a requirement for Final Fantasy games that the bosses
Spoiler:
have a second or third form? Why can't it be just one huge hard boss? Why segments? Also, why do the characters always groan or go "huh" or "hmmph?"

Oh and the final boss was pretty easy. Nothing compared to what you faced previously, IMO.
Old 04-15-10, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agreed on the final boss. Once you figured out the right battle team and paradigms to use, the last battle(s) were incredibly easy.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game. I don't get the talk of "30 hour tutorials" either... I never felt bored or if the game was holding my hand, but to each his own, I guess.

Last edited by ultimaton; 04-15-10 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-15-10, 07:22 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Agreed on the final boss. Once you figured out the right battle team and paradigms to use, the last battle(s) were incredibly easy.

Anyway, I enjoyed the game. I don't get the talk of "30 hour tutorials" either... I never felt bored or if the game was holding my hand, but to each his own, I guess.
My snarky reply to the Penny Arcade strip aside, I completely agree. I thought they did a great job of ramping up the gameplay and moving things along. Throughout the first 15 hours of the game, I was constantly thinking "Wait -- all the reviews say this game doesn't get good until after the first fifteen hours, but I already really like this game. If I'm enjoying it this much now, how much am I going to like it when I get to the 'good' part?"
Old 04-15-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I almost feel like the reviews were written as an assumption as to how the game was going to be received by FF fans.
Old 04-15-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can understand the complaints about the "long tutorial," though I think I was expecting much worse because of all the reviews. For the first few hours, at least, you can't do much of anything... you can't level up, you can't use paradigms, and the levels are basically straight lines. And for a lot of the time, up until chapter 9, you can't switch out characters, so a lot of the time you're stuck with 2 man teams. And most people will tell you not to upgrade your weapons until far later into the game anyway. And because you have no idea what you're doing, or maybe because the computer can do it faster, you do spend most of your time just pressing x/a and autobattling. I know for the summons I can't even begin to comprehend at this point what combination of buttons to press on my own.

That's not to say it's not fun for the whole first 30 hours or anything, but I'm not sure any other game could get away with such a lengthy introduction to gameplay mechanics. Once you get to level your characters and change paradigms and stuff, it gets a bit more fun, even if there are still restrictions for a few dozen hours after that.
Old 04-15-10, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
I almost feel like the reviews were written as an assumption as to how the game was going to be received by FF fans.
My wife is the biggest FF fan around and she likes the changes.
Old 04-15-10, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My wife is the biggest FF fan around and she likes the changes.
Which is why I think it was a mistake to kind of let what they people would think about the game dictate the tone of their review. I almost didn't buy the game because of the tone of the reviews and I'm really glad I read this thread first.
Old 04-15-10, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some of them were downright awesome. Such as having all your HP back after a fight, and of course not having to worry about MP.
Old 04-15-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Some of them were downright awesome. Such as having all your HP back after a fight, and of course not having to worry about MP.
oddly i was thinking about this when i was playing another final fantasy game recently. running through FF IV on DS and it pissed me off that i had to get potions and use them after battles.
Old 04-16-10, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being able to immediately retry a failed battle was absolutely genius -- I don't know if it's been done before (i'm sure it has), but it's going to ruin other JRPGs for me in the future.
Old 04-16-10, 08:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by atxbomber
Being able to immediately retry a failed battle was absolutely genius -- I don't know if it's been done before (i'm sure it has), but it's going to ruin other JRPGs for me in the future.
On a quasi-related note, it's less necessary given the change that atxbomber mentions above, but I love the fact that save locations are relatively plentiful. There's nothing I hate about JRPGs more than deciding I want to quit for the night and then having to play for another hour until I find a save location, or losing a fight and having to replay an hour's worth of the game.
Old 04-16-10, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On a quasi-related note, it's less necessary given the change that atxbomber mentions above, but I love the fact that save locations are relatively plentiful. There's nothing I hate about JRPGs more than deciding I want to quit for the night and then having to play for another hour until I find a save location, or losing a fight and having to replay an hour's worth of the game.
I'm not sure why they don't let you save at any point, unless it's a system limitation because of the data you have to store or something. You pretty much can't die anyway, so it's not like you can "cheat" by saving anywhere (though I guess because enemies respawn when you load, that could cause some issues).

I'm still torn about the actual battle system... it seems sometimes that the only real decision I make is which paradigm to use, the action is too fast to really manually cast different spells. Do you guys autobattle, or do things manually? It also seems like paradigm shifts can differ in terms of time when you're vulnerable: sometimes the animation just shows all of you shifting at once, and that seems shorter than when they show each individual shifting.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.