DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gamefly opens new distribution center (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/498125-gamefly-opens-new-distribution-center.html)

argh923 04-16-07 03:25 PM

Gamefly opens new distribution center

Just received this email...great news.

Starting this week, you may notice that the return address on your GameFly mailer will be Pittsburgh, PA. We're pleased to open this new shipping location as part of our continued effort to improve mailing times for GameFly members across the entire United States.

Initially, we are launching this new distribution center for only a small subset of our members (including your zip code), so we can complete our testing and training efforts. Over the next several weeks, we'll broaden the reach of this new distribution center to more members.

While we anticipate that the transition will be smooth, we would appreciate your feedback, both positive and negative. Please send any comments about your experience to [email protected].

The GameFly Team
E-mail: [email protected]
Online Help: www.gamefly.com/help

BravesMG 04-16-07 03:26 PM

Crap, Pittsburgh? My gamefly experience was terrible, I don't remember where the games were coming from, but it took 3-4 days one way to Boise.

argh923 04-16-07 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Crap, Pittsburgh? My gamefly experience was terrible, I don't remember where the games were coming from, but it took 3-4 days one way to Boise.

They would've been coming from L.A. That's the only other distribution center they have.

BravesMG 04-16-07 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
They would've been coming from L.A. That's the only other distribution center they have.

L.A.!?!?! Holy cow, either I was reading it wrong or didn't notice. I can't believe those took that long to turn around from L.A. And it's not that Boise is generally slow, Netflix is almost 100% a 1 day turnaround either way.

Mikael79 04-16-07 04:23 PM

Being right in the middle of the country (Iowa), this isn't going to help me out much. I've only been a member for a little over a month, and here is my impression so far:

- It takes forever for a shipped game to get to me from the distro center
- It takes forever for the distro center to show that I've shipped back a game
- 90% of the decent games offered for Xbox 360 aren't available when I want them

DodgingCars 04-16-07 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79
Being right in the middle of the country (Iowa), this isn't going to help me out much. I've only been a member for a little over a month, and here is my impression so far:

- 90% of the decent games offered for Xbox 360 aren't available when I want them

I live in L.A. and they still have some problems. They take forever to process returns, but I've manage to get new games because of their "Fast Return" thing -- which means they apparently track returns through USPS and send your next game before they process your return. I shipped back a couple games last week and they still haven't processed one of them (though I got both of my new games). If I didn't get the whole "Fast Return" thing, I'd still be waiting for my games (which shipped back on the 11th and 12th).

When they do ship though, I generally get them next day.

As for availability -- With the Wii, I've been pretty successful.

Nosmo Rex 04-16-07 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mikael79

That's exactly why I cancelled my membership. On top of that, when I cancelled my membership, I returned the one game I had out that day. They claimed to not have received it after a month, and charged my CC. I had no way to prove that they received it, so I figured I was screwed. Finally, another 3 weeks later, my CC charge was reversed. :shrug:

argh923 04-16-07 11:22 PM

I've actually never had a problem getting any game from Gamefly.

The first time I had it, I canceled, because four of five games were lost in the mail, either coming to me or going to them. After trying Gameznflix for awhile, and being disgusted with the "service"/lack of availability of titles, I came back to GF, and haven't had any problems. I'm in Indiana, so I'm ecstatic about the opening of the PA center.

DVDKrayzie 04-16-07 11:48 PM

The sad thing is, Gamefly is the best of the bunch. My blockbuster never has anything in-stock, Gameznflix just stopped completely sending discs for 2 months until I canceled. Gamefly, while they "lose" and then "find" games 3 weeks later ALL THE TIME, at least gets a game to me now and then.

DodgingCars 04-17-07 12:08 AM

Anyone tried brightspot.tv? Supposedly you can earn up to $10/mo towards your Gamefly bill. You earn $0.50 per 30 sec commercial you watch. You can probably earn the $10 in a week.

I've been doing it, but they aren't supposed to send the money to Gamefly until the 26th, so it will be until then that I find out if it works. Otherwise I've been doing free market research.

If it does work, this makes Gamefly's 2 at a time a real deal.

DodgingCars 04-17-07 12:15 AM

Anyone tried brightspot.tv? Supposedly you can earn up to $10/mo towards your Gamefly bill. You earn $0.50 per 30 sec commercial you watch. You can probably earn the $10 in a week.

I've been doing it, but they aren't supposed to send the money to Gamefly until the 26th, so it will be until then that I find out if it works. Otherwise I've been doing free market research.

If it does work, this makes Gamefly's 2 at a time a real deal.

RichC2 12-10-07 09:30 AM

And yet another one:

Starting this week, you may notice that the return address on your GameFly mailer will be Tampa, FL. We're pleased to open this new Tampa Shipping Center as part of our continued effort to improve mailing times for GameFly members across the entire United States.

Your area will be supported by this new Shipping Center. Depending on inventory availability, you may continue to receive some shipments out of Los Angeles or Pittsburgh. We expect your shipping times to improve over the next few months.

We would appreciate your feedback, both positive and negative. Please send any comments about your experience to [email protected].

The GameFly Team
E-mail: [email protected]
Online Help: www.gamefly.com/help

GameFly – Ready to Play®

Great, Great news for me. I'm in Florida and the mailing to and from City of Industry was dragging the service way down in my book (I just started it last month).

PixyJunket 12-10-07 09:56 AM

They need one in or close to TX. I'm probably ending my service after this month but I will gladly give them another shot if I can chance a turn-around time that doesn't make the "one disc out at a time service" useless.

Michael Corvin 12-10-07 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
They need one in or close to TX. I'm probably ending my service after this month but I will gladly give them another shot if I can chance a turn-around time that doesn't make the "one disc out at a time service" useless.

What kills me is that I've chosen to keep a game twice. Both times were over the weekend so that my next game should ship out Monday in the a.m. There's absolutely nothing holding it up. As soon as I click "keep it," my next one should be on the way.

The first time my next game didn't ship out until Wed. and arrived the following Monday. So roughly, an eight day turnaround after I clicked, "keep it." The second time was actually a week ago. Again, I decided on a Sat. to keep my game. This time my next one actually shipped out on Monday, but still didn't arrive until Friday, a 5 day turnaround.

I liked the service at first, but $15 a month for one out and 5-8 day shipping is a joke. I'm done after this month.

nemein 12-10-07 10:09 AM

Just this last week or so things have gotten ridiculously slow. Usually I can get 2-3 day shipping time (either to me or back to them) the last one took a week to get back to them. I'm hoping it's just the holidays and the theoretical increase in the amount of mail in the system right now.

Flay 12-10-07 10:35 AM

I've never recieved anything from the Philly center, so I'll wait to reserve judgement.

Still, it will be nice to have a center two states away now.

Mikael79 12-10-07 12:35 PM

I don't believe they have one yet, but I think that having one in Kansas City would be great for a lot of the Midwest, due to it pretty much being right smack in the middle of the country.

I've had Rainbow Six Vegas for about 8 months now (I cringe at the thought of how many times over I'd paid for that damn game!), so shipping times haven't really mattered to me lately. :)

funkyryno 12-10-07 05:41 PM

I find that if you threaten to cancel -- or actually cancel -- your membership. They will cut you a deal for a reduced priced: $14.95 for one month/two at a time.

A little off topic: I managed to snag a copy of Call of Duty 3 (probably should have picked something better) for less than $3 by combining a $10 off coupon they sent me with $5 worth of Gamefly dollars I had acquired. Shipping was free.

Michael Corvin 12-10-07 08:16 PM

Yeah, I already tried to cancel last month and they gave me $10 for one out for Dec.

I combined the $10 and $5 to keep Ratchet & Clank for $30.

nemein 07-09-08 11:05 AM

So it seems they have 4 distribution centers open now (CA, PA, FL & TX)... however I'm not sure they have actually purchased enough games to keep up w/ this. My Q is full w/ 50 selections of which only 1 is currently listed as "available now", granted 14 are future releases and 8 are TBD selections that's still 1 out of 28 though. Is this what most people are seeing? Just curious...

Michael Corvin 07-09-08 11:07 AM

So they have the borders of the country covered. How about a distribution center smack dab in the middle? Or does that make too much sense?

bluthswede6 07-09-08 06:32 PM

gamefly's service is awful. I actually noticed a decline in the service around the time they opened up the extra distribution center and changed to the current availability system. There are only about 15 360 games listed as available now out of the over 300 on their site. its bad. I used to have great service and turn around, but I do live in Southern California.

PopcornTreeCt 07-09-08 08:40 PM

The Tampa distribution center is pretty cool for me. My beef with Gamefly stems from the fact that they sent me the 2 shittiest games from my GameQ that were all the way at the bottom, while the first 2 games I got were on the top.

dan30oly 07-09-08 09:28 PM

Wake me up when I can get the games I actually want withen a day like netflix.

Draven 07-09-08 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Wake me up when I can get the games I actually want withen a day like netflix.

Here here.