DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Star Trek Legacy (360) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/498096-star-trek-legacy-360-a.html)

Mopower 04-16-07 11:10 AM

Star Trek Legacy (360)
 
Anyone play this? God damn. Why did they have to make it so freaking hard? I'm stuck late in the Shatner levels where you have to overload the disruptors and then take on the Borg sphere. It's takes pretty much an hour to take over the disruptors since everything you shut one off it only stays off for 8 min. But it takes so long to kill one Klingon/Borg ship. And there are 3 ships per disruptor station.

I keep having to destroy a ship then warp out and repair. Warp back in and take out another etc. So by the time I get all three the previous disruptor is back online and there is another Klingon/Borg ship there I have to destroy. I only have 2 ships for some reason. Why the Federation though it was a good idea to only use 2 ships for such a big task. And the Enterprise of that generation is a POS.

So once you do all that how do you take out the Sphere? I try to take out the 3 orbs powering it but get destroyed before I can make it back to the Ship yard in time.

Then sometimes my ship is unresponsive. No matter what button I push nothing happens. Then a few min later it will work again. Meanwhile I'm getting the shit beat out of me.

This game wants me to throw my 360 into oncomming traffic.

Supermallet 04-16-07 11:12 AM

The mechanics on that game are so fucked up. I couldn't get anywhere with it. I know Robo will disagree with me, but I think this game is pretty much worthless.

Nosmo Rex 04-16-07 12:39 PM


Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The mechanics on that game are so fucked up. I couldn't get anywhere with it. I know Robo will disagree with me, but I think this game is pretty much worthless.

Agreed. I rented it on Gamefly, and was very glad I didn't pay full price.

Giantrobo 04-16-07 01:23 PM

It's by no means a perfect game and they totally fucked up the instruction manual. I mean they totally had wrong info and left out other stuff. With that said, read this over at the xbox.com Star Trek Legacy forum and it may help you get a handle on things. In fact, the whole forum may help you solve some problems.

<b>It's simply not a sit down and master in 10 minutes game.</b> The controls are complicated. But there's a lot you can do. Learn to use your phasers to weaken shields the hit them with photon torpedoes. Use phasors to take out specific subsystems such as weapons and engines leaving the enemy without a way to fight back or run. You do know how to repair you systems right?

Now, I haven't reached your level yet but it sounds like the enemies are disabling your subsystems causing you to be stranded. Also, you buy new ships before the level right? Did you have enough captain's oints for 4 ships? Is that level specifically for 2 ships? From what I read the "Shatner Era" Enterprise kicks ass on those levels so perhaps you're not using it right?

Don't for get you can also shift power to shields, weapons, and engines. I usually shift power evenly between shields and weapons. Sometimes I'll give a bit more to shields.

Dragon Fly 04-16-07 01:27 PM

you're further than I am. I made it to the Enterprise level where you have to destroy as many romulan ships as possible. I got to the second part and was immediately fried. Haven't had the chance to go back to it.

Mopower 04-16-07 02:08 PM


Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It's by no means a perfect game and they totally fucked up the instruction manual. I mean they totally had wrong info and left out other stuff. With that said, read this over at the xbox.com Star Trek Legacy forum and it may help you get a handle on things. In fact, the whole forum may help you solve some problems.

<b>It's simply not a sit down and master in 10 minutes game.</b> The controls are complicated. But there's a lot you can do. Learn to use your phasers to weaken shields the hit them with photon torpedoes. Use phasors to take out specific subsystems such as weapons and engines leaving the enemy without a way to fight back or run. You do know how to repair you systems right?

Now, I haven't reached your level yet but it sounds like the enemies are disabling your subsystems causing you to be stranded. Also, you buy new ships before the level right? Did you have enough captain's oints for 4 ships? Is that level specifically for 2 ships? From what I read the "Shatner Era" Enterprise kicks ass on those levels so perhaps you're not using it right?

Don't for get you can also shift power to shields, weapons, and engines. I usually shift power evenly between shields and weapons. Sometimes I'll give a bit more to shields.


I've had fun with the game up unitl now. Now it's just rediculous. I know how to do all of what you mentioned. And thought I was pretty skilled at running the ships. On this mission I didn't have enough points to buy two ships. Just one. I"ve had enough points for three ships until now. I've shifted power but in this mission these disruptors you have to take out negate your shields. They jam them and shut them off. So you just have the hull to protect you. You have to scan the disruptor stations and reverse their affects but you can't do it while there are enemies in the area. And with 3 Klingon/Borg ships pounding you it doesn't hold up for long. So by the time you have destroyed one ship your ship is in bad shape and you have to warp away to repair.

Anyway the Enterprise and Original Era missions were pretty fun. Took me about 3 days to get thru them all though. There are a few hard ones but nothing I couldn't beat after a few tried. This one though takes so damn long to get to the Borg Sphere that I can only try once at one sitting. And I think the mission I'm on now is the last one before The Next Generation.

Mopower 04-16-07 02:09 PM


Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
Agreed. I rented it on Gamefly, and was very glad I didn't pay full price.


Luckily it's only $40 now. It's a fun game. Just a bit on the painfully hard side.

Giantrobo 04-16-07 02:25 PM


Originally Posted by Mopower
I've had fun with the game up unitl now. Now it's just rediculous. I know how to do all of what you mentioned. And thought I was pretty skilled at running the ships. On this mission I didn't have enough points to buy two ships. Just one. I"ve had enough points for three ships until now. I've shifted power but in this mission these disruptors you have to take out negate your shields. They jam them and shut them off. So you just have the hull to protect you. You have to scan the disruptor stations and reverse their affects but you can't do it while there are enemies in the area. And with 3 Klingon/Borg ships pounding you it doesn't hold up for long. So by the time you have destroyed one ship your ship is in bad shape and you have to warp away to repair.

Anyway the Enterprise and Original Era missions were pretty fun. Took me about 3 days to get thru them all though. There are a few hard ones but nothing I couldn't beat after a few tried. This one though takes so damn long to get to the Borg Sphere that I can only try once at one sitting. And I think the mission I'm on now is the last one before The Next Generation.


Ok, cool. Like I said, it's not a perfect game and I know the missions can be difficult especially when you don't have a full fleet of ships. I've had my ass handed to me in single player plenty o times due to that and other factors. Let's not even talk about online. :grunt:

But still, for some reason to it's a cool game that's fun to play.

Dragon Fly 04-16-07 02:32 PM


Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I've had my ass handed to me in single player plenty o times due to that and other factors. Let's not even talk about online. :grunt:

At least you got the Red Shirt Achievement I assume? :) I haven't found a single game online yet.

Supermallet 04-16-07 07:59 PM


Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The controls are complicated. But there's a lot you can do. Learn to use your phasers to weaken shields the hit them with photon torpedoes. Use phasors to take out specific subsystems such as weapons and engines leaving the enemy without a way to fight back or run. You do know how to repair you systems right?

I did all of that and it did not increase my enjoyment of the game. The problems are manifold. I never found a way to give specific ships accurate separate instructions from the other ships via the tactical menu, which meant I was switching between ships on the fly and getting progressively annoyed as I had to micromanage 4 ships in 4 different locations. The fact you couldn't save mid-mission also made things excruciating, as each mission was minimum 30 minutes. The phaser power regeneration was wonky. Sometimes the power would be almost depleted but I could still give shield-draining blows to other ships, and at other times they'd be fully powered but the attacks had no more effect than shooting a water pistol.

I'm glad you enjoy the game, I just felt like it needed about 13 more months in development. And I really wanted to like it, too, but it was not meant for me.

Giantrobo 04-17-07 04:28 AM


Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I did all of that and it did not increase my enjoyment of the game. The problems are manifold. I never found a way to give specific ships accurate separate instructions from the other ships via the tactical menu, which meant I was switching between ships on the fly and getting progressively annoyed as I had to micromanage 4 ships in 4 different locations. The fact you couldn't save mid-mission also made things excruciating, as each mission was minimum 30 minutes. The phaser power regeneration was wonky. Sometimes the power would be almost depleted but I could still give shield-draining blows to other ships, and at other times they'd be fully powered but the attacks had no more effect than shooting a water pistol.

I'm glad you enjoy the game, I just felt like it needed about 13 more months in development. And I really wanted to like it, too, but it was not meant for me.


Nah, I hear you you man and I totally agree on the Save issue. That's why I haven't gone further in the game. I get my ass handed to me and I'm not the type to sit and replay entire levels in one sitting. At that point it's time to switch games or turn the 360 off. :lol::grunt:

As fas as the ship commands, the user created Manual in the link I posted addressed those issues because the Manual that came with it is horribly written. I mean they totally gave the wrong info on how to group ships and give them specific commands. It can be done and I've done it.



Originally Posted by from the User created manual

B. Group Commands:

<b>The manual has it wrong. You need to have the right bumper pressed while issuing the group commands (from the in-game perspective).</b>


The fire at will command is right bumper + Y, and it is very useful as the grouped ships are much more aggressive then.

Right bumper + A makes the grouped ships target the enemy that is the closest to your current ship. Basically, it is a command to protect the selected ship.

Right bumper + X makes each grouped ship individually target their closest enemy.


(BY EATSHITAKE)


When it comes to using phasors to deplete enemy shields you have to watch their shield meter because unless you deplete the sheilds you'll have a hard time destroying the ship with Photons. Also, Phasors aren't meant to be used to destroy ships in this game. They can do it if the ship has no shields, but Photon torpedoes are used to destroy the ships. If you deplete the shields but you don't destroy the ship right away with Photon Torpedoes or use the phasor to target and destroy their shield generator then -they WILL- repair their shields and you'll have to knock them down again.

Mopower 04-17-07 09:53 AM

FUCK! I almost beat the mission. ALMOST. Then my freaking 360 froze up on me!! POS. It never froze up before this game. Now it does it every other time I play it!

Supermallet 04-17-07 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by Giantrobo
When it comes to using phasors to deplete enemy shields you have to watch their shield meter because unless you deplete the sheilds you'll have a hard time destroying the ship with Photons. Also, Phasors aren't meant to be used to destroy ships in this game. They can do it if the ship has no shields, but Photon torpedoes are used to destroy the ships. If you deplete the shields but you don't destroy the ship right away with Photon Torpedoes or use the phasor to target and destroy their shield generator then -they WILL- repair their shields and you'll have to knock them down again.

I understand how the phaser/shield/photon torpedo relationships work. I was complaining specifically about phaser power regeneration.

Breakfast with Girls 04-17-07 07:29 PM

My mom's husband bought this game, and while I was visiting them in December I played it.

Despite the numerous control problems, I liked it, and beat it within three or four days of light playing (a few hours at a time). Not to be a complete ass, but I found it to be pretty easy. I can't remember if there is a difficulty setting, but if there is it was set to Normal.

Honestly, I didn't have trouble with any of it except for the pre-TNG era mission with the asteroids. I had to play that one a few times before I realized I needed to buy a scout ship. In every other level I almost always went through for fun and destroyed everything that didn't automatically respawn.

It's all about

a) mastering the controls,
b) being able to manage multiple things going on at once (including staying on top of repairs and diverting power appropriately), and
c) buying the best ships at the right times (i.e., not wasting your credits).

In the last level I had three Sovereign-class (Enterprise-E) ships. If you do it right, you can easily have four.

My mom's husband, meanwhile, had a hell of a time with the game. It came down to the fact that he never got a handle on the three points I listed above. I think he eventually beat the game, but he struggled for every "inch of ground" he gained.

Giantrobo 04-17-07 09:03 PM


Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I understand how the phaser/shield/photon torpedo relationships work. I was complaining specifically about phaser power regeneration.


Ok, fair enough. Just know that I realize you've already made up your mind about the game so my posts are there for others who might come in looking for info on the game. :lol:

BTW, you do know that if you divert power to your Phasers the capacitor will recharge faster and you can use them again quicker...also, Phasers work best with long steady disharges and not short bursts. Just thought I'd throw that in there. ;):p

AGuyNamedMike 04-18-07 08:31 AM


Originally Posted by Mopower
...the Enterprise of that generation is a POS....

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9395/scottybz5.jpg

Barney1234 04-19-07 10:59 AM

I got so frustrated on this game, I was on the last level. Tried for like a couple weeks, it's now in my done pile.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.