Old 04-16-07, 10:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I misread the title of this thread as "The Fist Encore."
Old 04-16-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NatrlBornThrllr
I've been playing the game for a while, but I'd never started my own individual career (my roomie and I started a shared one to unlock everything when we first bought the game, and it's been QuickPlay high score battles ever since). I finally started a separate career, though, and here's how it stands as of last night:

Easy:
Completed - 00/28
Five-Star - 00/28
100% - 00/28

Meduim:
Completed - 40/40
Five-Star - 40/40
100% - 38/40 (Institutionalized, Freebird)

Hard:
Completed - 40/40
Five-Star - 40/40
100% - 02/40

Expert:
Completed - 40/40
Five-Star - 36/40 (Freebird, Misirlou, Psychobilly Freakout, Hangar 18)
100% - 00/40

Goals:
1. 100% Institutionalized and Freebird on Medium.
2. Five-Star the four remaining songs on Expert.
4. 100% the other 15-20 possible songs on Hard.
5. 100% the five or so possible songs on Expert.
6. 100% all available songs on Easy.
7. 100% all of the bonus songs on Medium.

I should have that last one done within the next few days -- I started the task a few days ago and am already up to 17/24. The other seven will take a bit of practice but shouldn't be any major problem. The "Easy" career will take little effort, but way too much time.
Sure, you've done well with medium, hard and expert. But I'm kicking your butt on the easy level.
Old 04-16-07, 10:43 AM

The patch is out, I got an auto update when I put the game in last night. My whammy bar works great now, I don't have that 1-2 second delay after I would start moving it for it to register.

I wonder if they did anything to address peoples' star power activation problems, as my guitar was already more sensitive than I would like, and after the update it seemed like it was going off even more frequently on it's own than before. Maybe it was just the songs I was on, but it was really frustrating.
Old 04-16-07, 11:21 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

I think the new update totally screwed up my star power activator. I never had whammy bar problems, but now my star power doesn't activate properly after the update. The star power just kicks in any time it pleases now.
Old 04-16-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been playing the game for a while, but I'd never started my own individual career (my roomie and I started a shared one to unlock everything when we first bought the game, and it's been QuickPlay high score battles ever since). I finally started a separate career, though, and here's how it stands as of last night:
I'd recommend going to Scorehero and inputing your scores there. Down side is you can't show off to the DVDTalk people here Great way to keep track of your progress as it records your percentages and how close you are to the next star level as well. Plus you can see how your runs compare to other people. I have to admit it feels good having a run on a song in the top 50 of all time (not that that happens very often).

The only problem is the site runs REALLY slow during the evenings. They're supposed to be upgrading the server, but not sure when that will happen.

BTW, I noticed you're in San Marcos. You go to TxState?
Old 04-16-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Got 100% on "Less Talk More Rokk" and "One for the Road." That bumps me up to just five medium bonus songs left, seven total. Which give me an idea:

Would anybody make use of a thread intended to keep updated tabs on your Guitar Hero career(s)?

You know, like the "DVD spending tab" thread, or the "Rank 'em as you see 'em" thread. One post per person, a layout similar to what I posted above, that the person can edit with any updates. I think it'd be fun to see peoples' progress, and it might motivate me to pick up that controller more often...

Just a thought.
Might be a good idea if people are interested.

Scorehero has custom updating images like this which work pretty well for tracking progress too:
Old 04-16-07, 12:19 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would be a neat thread to look at.

And Less Talk More Rokk is one of my favorite songs to play. I haven't tried it in Hard yet. But on Medium it is a blast to play. Starts of very slow, and by the end your fingers are moving all over the frets in repeating patterns.
Old 04-16-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
I'd recommend going to Scorehero and inputing your scores there. Down side is you can't show off to the DVDTalk people here Great way to keep track of your progress as it records your percentages and how close you are to the next star level as well. Plus you can see how your runs compare to other people. I have to admit it feels good having a run on a song in the top 50 of all time (not that that happens very often).

The only problem is the site runs REALLY slow during the evenings. They're supposed to be upgrading the server, but not sure when that will happen.

BTW, I noticed you're in San Marcos. You go to TxState?
Nice, I'll definitely give Scorehero a shot. Looks like a nifty site.

Oh, and yep, sure do.
Old 04-16-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nice, I'll definitely give Scorehero a shot. Looks like a nifty site.

Oh, and yep, sure do.
Cool deal. Make sure and post what your username over there is.

My wife is graduating with a degree in Accounting there in a month.
Old 04-16-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamespot has an interview with Red Octane's president. He confirms that GHIII will come out this holiday season for 360, Wii, PS3, and PS2. Also a DS version next year. They also say it will come with a wireless guitar, and that they will be offering guitars in different shapes and sizes. They also say it will have online play.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6169125.html

Last edited by Ghym; 04-16-07 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really wish unlocking the "complete" and "5* complete" guitars on expert unlocked all of the previous difficulties as well . I simply can't bring myself to do the Easy or Medium songs. I've been working on the Hards, doing 1 set a day getting 100%'s, but I really want the Easy US flag guitar .
Old 04-16-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cartman
I really wish unlocking the "complete" and "5* complete" guitars on expert unlocked all of the previous difficulties as well . I simply can't bring myself to do the Easy or Medium songs. I've been working on the Hards, doing 1 set a day getting 100%'s, but I really want the Easy US flag guitar .
I feel ya. Playing through all of the songs on Easy was soooooo boring.
Old 04-16-07, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ghym
Gamespot has an interview with Red Octane's president. He confirms that GHIII will come out this holiday season for 360, Wii, PS3, and PS2. Also a DS version next year. They also say it will come with a wireless guitar, and that they will be offering guitars in different shapes and sizes. They also say it will have online play.

DS version = overkill?

Still, I guess I'm happy it's coming soon. Although I'm afraid of the price jumps.
Guitar Hero 1= $69.99
Guitar Hero 2 PS2= $79.99
Guitar Hero 2 360= $89.99
Guitar Hero 3= $99.99?
Old 04-16-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My main concern will be that my current guitar and the extra guitar I plan to buy soon will be compatible with GHIII.
Old 04-16-07, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mordred
Cool deal. Make sure and post what your username over there is.
Yup, the site is running slowly, so I haven't had a chance to get anything entered. Hopefully the bandwith will free up late tonight and I can get it done. Updates, though: I went through and got 100% on the 28 main "easy" songs. It didn't take as long as I'd anticipated since most came on the first try. I also knocked out a few more of the bonus songs on "medium."

So, I need four five stars to finish expert, four 100%'s to finish medium...and I need to work through the bonus songs on "easy" to wrap that one up. Aside from trying my hand at 100%-ing some hard and expert songs, I think that'll be about it for me until GHIII comes around.
Old 04-16-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've decided I want to be able to 5 star one song on expert...without looking. Easiest song I could think of is lamb of god - laid to rest, since it doesn't change that often and the solos are really easy. So far I can get about this far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLS9lm0zZo

Obviously it just repeats to a part I already know, I just have to get it down in my head better.

Hopefully I will be able to get through it soon 3* without a problem. Then I just have to memorize some star power spots/etc. I plan on doing a dual screen taping of it. All of this...just because I cant stop playing this damn game
Old 04-16-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Glad to hear there will be different guitars to pick from, I can't stand the look of the x-plorer.
Old 04-16-07, 10:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
New guitar styles...come on LES PAUL.
Old 04-16-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We already saw an SG, I'd rather see something I'd like to play on (as in nothing gibson at all)
Old 04-16-07, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair
I've decided I want to be able to 5 star one song on expert...without looking. Easiest song I could think of is lamb of god - laid to rest, since it doesn't change that often and the solos are really easy. So far I can get about this far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLS9lm0zZo
Is that playing without looking? If so, I'm impressed because there are a lot of changes in that song. It's not that difficult, but it's intricate and fast.

Who Was In My Room would probably be a decent no-look choice. Mr. Fixit possibly too, although you'd probably want to kill yourself after playing that so much. Elephant Bones would also work.
Old 04-16-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, that is without looking. I messed up the last part of the the intro riff, but that usually happens for some reason. The melody part is very simple, so is odd riff. The end solo is pretty much the same pattern as the melody with a few changes (hold one button down and hit two others, repeat).

Oddly enough, the most difficult thing about not looking is hitting the first few notes. I either fail or nail it depending.
Old 04-16-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by flair
Yes, that is without looking. I messed up the last part of the the intro riff, but that usually happens for some reason. The melody part is very simple, so is odd riff. The end solo is pretty much the same pattern as the melody with a few changes (hold one button down and hit two others, repeat).

Oddly enough, the most difficult thing about not looking is hitting the first few notes. I either fail or nail it depending.
Wow, I'm impressed! That part of the riff where you messed up is really difficult for me looking. I either screw up on the real fast descending part or can't do the GRBO thing (skipping the Yellow that fast is tough cause my hands aren't massive). On my best run I hit it twice out of the 4 or 5 times it comes up and full comboed everything else. I'm lucky to get it once in a run. I still don't think I could come close to passing without looking though.
Old 04-17-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know you play too mugh Guitar Hero when you start dreamning about it! Last night, I dreamed that I beat Jordan on Expert and got the "Kick the Bucket" achievement, even though I totally suck at that song and hardly ever even attempt it. My wife was super-pissed at me for getting it too, because she knows I suck.
Old 04-17-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghym

Awesome - the lack of a wireless guitar is the only thing stopping me from selling off my PS2 and the games and guitars and switching to the 360. Might as well wait for GH3.
Old 04-17-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So I guess this means no first-party wireless guitars for GH II. That sucks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.