Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii thread - part V

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh H
Just read that the Wii version of RE4 is playable with the GC controller.

Good news for any who never played it and end up not liking the Wiimote/nunchuk controls.
Very cool.

I just got the new EGM, and it got very good reviews...especially for an older game. 8.5s and 9.0s...I think.

Really looking forward to replaying it with Wii controls.
Old 06-02-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I know there were a few people here looking forward to it, but Radio Allergy is officially dead.

Article mentions that it may show up on a future compilation, but it doesn't sound promising.
Old 06-02-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That really sucks. Too bad it couldn't be a download game for Wii or something.
Old 06-02-07, 11:43 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
That really sucks. Too bad it couldn't be a download game for Wii or something.
Given it was a GC game, probably would take up too much space with the Wii only having 512MB of storage.

Maybe that will be an option if they put out a hard drive.
Old 06-02-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Just because it was a GC game doesn't mean it would take up a lot of space. Who knows what percentage of a GC disc it would have filled up.
Old 06-02-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to want a HD -- now I just think. Let me play games off the SD card. One of the problems with releasing an official HD is that it makes the Wii look more expensive. A $100 HD makes the Wii a $350 machine compared to the $400 360 with a HD. Of course they could just support any external USB HD.

But I still think just a firmware upgrade that supports playing off SD cards would work fine -- especially if it supported 4GB+ cards.
Old 06-02-07, 11:56 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Just because it was a GC game doesn't mean it would take up a lot of space. Who knows what percentage of a GC disc it would have filled up.
True, but I'd assume it would probably at least be 100 MBs with sound files etc. And that would take up nearly a quarter of the usable space on the Wii (as the channels and OS take up a decent chunk.

Moot for me as I hate Schmups, but sucks for those who were looking forward to it.
Old 06-02-07, 11:58 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I used to want a HD -- now I just think. Let me play games off the SD card. One of the problems with releasing an official HD is that it makes the Wii look more expensive. A $100 HD makes the Wii a $350 machine compared to the $400 360 with a HD. Of course they could just support any external USB HD.

But I still think just a firmware upgrade that supports playing off SD cards would work fine -- especially if it supported 4GB+ cards.
That would work, I'd prefer an HD--with any external HD support being preferable.

Even with SD cards, demos would get dicey as many 360 demos are 1-2 GBs so you'd run out of space quickly if you wanted to keep a couple around for a while. But I suppose Wii demos might be a bit smaller with the lack of HD support etc maybe the files wouldn't be so large.

Of course one could get multiple SD cards to solve the problem, but I'd prefer an HD to that.

Last edited by Josh H; 06-02-07 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-02-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I still don't understand why they didn't at least finish it as a Wii game. That would have been an easy port. Remap the buttons for the Wii/Nunchuck and give it classic controller/Gamecube support. Graphically they could have left it exactly the same.

I don't get scrapping the whole game.

As far as downloads, I think Ikaruga was 50MB on Xbox Live so I'm sure this game could have been done as a download.
Old 06-02-07, 12:07 PM
Retired

Even 50MB is a good chunk of the internal memory. Though that would be fine if they allowed playing it off an SD card.
Old 06-02-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
Very cool.

I just got the new EGM, and it got very good reviews...especially for an older game. 8.5s and 9.0s...I think.

Really looking forward to replaying it with Wii controls.
Same here. Actually bought the GC version a few weeks back and enjoyed it. Heard about the Wii version coming out and can hardly wait for that.
Old 06-03-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts
Alright guys, newbie question. Apologies in advance.

I probably haven't bought a videogame console in 20+ years. Two young kids that already spend too much time playing web games helps that. But I ended up playing WII for the first time yesterday and thought it was a lot of fun. My wife, who hates videogames, would probably get a kick out of it.

Now, I know the basic package with just the Sports game runs like $250, but I've just discovered that the shortages that I heard about in the news last Christmas still seem to be in effect.

So, my question, the obvious one -- where does one go if you want to buy a Wii these days? Any online sites that are reputable? Amazon and buy.com don't seem to have it. The usual b&m stores in town here (Best Buy, Circuit City, Target) are all out of stock.
Old 06-03-07, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
dstrauss,

Check your weekly ads. Typically, the stores release these every few weeks in batches. Ads for CC, BB, and Target are posted in advance in the DVD Bargains section as well. You can also try calling your local Gamestop / EBGames and see when they expect their next shipment.
Old 06-03-07, 10:16 AM

they are still tough to find...if you see it in the sunday paper ad (for places like Target, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.), then they are obligated to have some in stock. I would get a Sunday paper early, look for it in the ad, then camp out at the store until they open....
Old 06-03-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dstrauss I was in the same boat, just kept checking all of the stores until I found one. My last console purchase was 92. It is great because I bought console, extra remote, extra nunchuk, memory card (2 Gig), internet adapter, 2 old school controllers for $400. Everyone who comes over, grown ups and kids has a blast. Just keep checking. Circuit City/Best Buy puts theirs out on Sunday. Also if a new Best Buy opens they usually get between 150-200 Wiis. I have noticed shipments are lasting longer now when they sell out. I have seen some in BB 2 different occasions since I bought mine. You can also get Amazon to email you when they are in stock.
Old 06-03-07, 10:47 AM

Use wiitracker.com to keep tabs on online availability, and itrackr.com to keep up on local availability.
Old 06-03-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love hearing stories from folks who haven't bought it game console in 15 years...and now they want a Wii.

I just wish they could find one.
Old 06-03-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yeah, I think your only options are to
* overpay ridiculously thanks to scalpers or
* stalk the sites/stores or
* get lucky. (I got lucky with mine).

Itrackr was a good resource.
I just played Mario Party 8 with my mom, and my dad and son played Shooting Gallery and Tanks on WiiPlay for quite a while yesterday.

It really is amazing, as many units as they've sold, that it's still this hard to find one.
Old 06-03-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Craigslist is a good option too. Not as overpriced as eBay. I paid about $20-25 over retail on Craigslist for a brand new unit.
Old 06-03-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iTrackr looks like a good site, but their info doesn't seem to be too accurate. They listed 7 stores out of 35 in town that had them in stock. 7 phone calls later all of them said they were sold out. But thanks for the other ideas, guys.
Old 06-03-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Got lucky when I got mine. Went by Fry's and Circuit City, no luck, thought I'd stop by Toys R Us on the way home and they just got a shipment in that morning and had three left.
Old 06-03-07, 06:22 PM
Cool New Member

Calling and stopping by stores finally paid off for me too. I think it's your best bet. I just checked WalMart every time I was in there to pick up unrelated items and a few weeks ago on a Tuesday night - BINGO. Unless you want to get trapped into a bundle deal that usually contain games you don't want - start making the rounds and using the phone. Good luck, and yes it is that much fun for pretty much everyone in the family.
Old 06-03-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went the CraigsList route and got lucky. Found a guy selling a brand new, unopened Wii for just a little over retail. PayPal'd him the money, drove up and picked it up, and then stopped by Target to pick up WiiGames for a second controller. Spent all evening with the wife and kids having fun. Thanks for the tips, everyone.
Old 06-04-07, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Stolen from CAG...

Wii component cables $8.75 at monoprice. Due back in stock on the 10th.

http://monoprice.com/products/produc...seq=1&format=2
Old 06-04-07, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I know there were a few people here looking forward to it, but Radio Allergy is officially dead.

Article mentions that it may show up on a future compilation, but it doesn't sound promising.
Milestone is releasing their latest shooter, Karous, on the Wii (I posted about it earlier) later this year. It sounds like O3 and Milestone will be working to make sure Radio Allergy is bundled with Karous for the US release in some fashion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.