Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Wii thread - part V

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-07, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have both Zelda cube discs (comp & master quest). While I own it on GBA, the only VC Zelda game I purchased is LttP. I see no need to rebuy the NES or N64 versions I already have on a Wii-compatible format. I'm sure I could sell the comp disc for more than $20 and come out ahead, but I'm not ready to make that commitment yet. I still have OoT and MM on my N64 anyway, so there's really no rush for the VC counterparts.

What's wrong with the Cube version of MM? I haven't played that myself.
Old 04-27-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pinata242
What's wrong with the Cube version of MM? I haven't played that myself.
Frequent lock-ups.
Old 04-27-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I'm not. I have this disc, the Sonic and Mega Man collections and all the NES games in Animal Crossing unlocked. No way I would pay for something I already have.

I shake my head at the prices people pay for VC games. However, I already played most of this so I guess its a decent value if the game is new to you. I really want to see the VC used to bring over more games never released in the US and for new content. That is when I will start spending more points.
I never owned a SNES, N64, or Cube. Just about every one of those games is new to me. I no longer have my NES. To play any of the games outside of the virtual console would either have me illegally emulating them or having to buy a console and a cartridge. I'd guess that it would cost me more to have to buy the cartridges for a lot of the games than it would for me to download them through the VC. Then there is the convience of playing all of them wirelessly through one system.

I do think the prices are too high.. about half would be reasonable. But at this point, $10 to own LoZ:OoT doesn't seem terrible to me. Especially because I never played it before.

What would be nice is a monthly subscription (like Gametap).
Old 04-27-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nintendo has 45 games in development for the Wii. That's crazy!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aXvRwZ3iOQw4
Old 04-27-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had an n64 a few times via rummage sale, and a roommate of mine once had one, but I've never had enough games to warrant keeping one around.

I still have the NES/SNES on the shelf, but if Squaresoft would just support the VC...If I could get Chrono Trigger & maybe FF4/FF6 on the Wii I could give up the SNES.

I think the price scheme should look more like $3/$6/$8 for NES/SNES/n64 but I guess we're buying them...
Old 04-27-07, 12:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
Nintendo has 45 games in development for the Wii. That's crazy!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aXvRwZ3iOQw4
I think you mean that's awesome.
Old 04-27-07, 12:36 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I wonder how many people who own the Gamecube disc with Zelda/Zelda II/Ocarina/Majora's Mask are still buying Ocarino and Zelda on the VC.
Not me. I didn't like MM much, so the lockups don't affect me. No point in rebuying old games I rarely play anyway.
Old 04-27-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Aye. I have Ocarina on disc and will keep that version, no need to buy a game I already have. Majora's Mask was the least engrossing Zelda I've ever played so I don't think I'll be picking that one up either (I've played all the console ones and numerous handheld ones -- but not all).
Old 04-27-07, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know why I subscribe to this thread, all it does is causes depression. It is so painful to hear all the fun being had on the wii and there are those of us who can't find one no matter how hard we look Hopefully you guys know how lucky you are to have found a machine. Speaking of which, check out this article:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/04...i_for_2_years/

Talk about
Old 04-27-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i could have gotten another one yesterday, after walking into an EB that I normally never go into :/
Old 04-27-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
So how exactly do you become a "video game analyst" and get to make predictions like "you'll have a tough time finding a wii until 2009?" No really, that's a job?
Old 04-27-07, 02:57 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
mrmagoo,

The Wii is listed in Target's ad this week, and word is that stores are stockpiling them for sale on Sunday. So if you have a Target in your area, give them a call and see how they plan to distribute these.
Old 04-27-07, 04:08 PM

EB is reportedly holding Wii stock for Sunday also. G'luck.
Old 04-28-07, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
I didn't know this but apparently Nintendo has a list of all the VC games along with a short video of it. Might help in making a decision.

http://wii.nintendo.com/virtualconsole.jsp
Old 04-28-07, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
mrmagoo,

The Wii is listed in Target's ad this week, and word is that stores are stockpiling them for sale on Sunday. So if you have a Target in your area, give them a call and see how they plan to distribute these.

I didnt know about target, however I have heard that eb/gamestop were supposed to have units this sunday. Thanks Groucho

I played the wii again last night. I get together with a bunch of my friends during most of the Sabres games. I only live about a half hour away from buffalo, and have been a die hard fan my whole life. Its so funny cause out of all my friends only one of us has been able to score a wii and he only got that because he bought it on ebay. He happens to be one of my best friends, so whenever I hang out with him I of course immediately head for the wii, and he asks if I am there to see him or the wii of course I tell him I am there to hang out with him......

Last edited by mrmagoo; 04-28-07 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-29-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Final Fight was released on the Australian VC on Friday. I hope to hell we get that and Super Mario RPG soon.
Old 04-29-07, 02:56 PM

In case anyone cares, the new Gamestop in Amherst NH had Wiis in stcok a couple hours age.
Old 04-30-07, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is it true you need a gamecube controller to play gamecube games ?

The only thing that annoys me so far about the wii is the collection of controls I have (so far 2 wiimotes, 2 nunchucks and soon to be 2 classic controllers).

I really don't want to now have to buy 2 gamecube controllers too lol. If thats the case i may just ignore the gamecube games i was interested in getting.
Old 04-30-07, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dazed
Is it true you need a gamecube controller to play gamecube games ?
Yes, it's true (and a GameCube memory card if you want to save).
Old 04-30-07, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The EB I went to on Sunday had no Wiis. They were also dicks to two people that came in while I was picking out my used games for their sale. Guess they are fed up with people asking daily, but that is part of the job of working in a game store.

One of the guys called it the new Furby and told the guy flat out it was a system for little kids and he would be better off buying an Xbox360. I asked him about it and all he said was he hadn't touched his in months and does not really feel like pushing something they can't sell anyway.
Old 04-30-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
VC Update for 4/30:
Castlevania® (NES®, 1 player, 500 Wii Points): Step into the shadows of the deadliest dwelling on Earth. You've arrived at Castlevania, and you're here on business: to destroy the curse of the Evil Count, once and for all. Make your way through six monstrous floors filled with bats, ghosts, zombies and every kind of ghoulish creature you can imagine. Use the legendary whip Vampire Killer and a host of deadly weapons to battle your way to Dracula's chamber and the ultimate duel of good vs. evil.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja™ (Super NES®, 1-2 players, 800 Wii Points): In The Legend of The Mystical Ninja, take control of Kid Ying and Dr. Yang in an action adventure through feudal Japan. A curse has stricken the village of Horo-Horo, and its beloved princess has vanished. Together Kid Ying, a daring young mystical ninja, and Dr. Yang, master of the invincible spirit transformation, must overcome 10 levels of the Dragonbeast to save Princess Yuki. Each stage contains intense 3-D and 2-D zones where the duo must perform dozens of attack moves and solve magical problems and puzzles before advancing. Battle humorous enemies like the Carp Meister, who stuns victims with poisonous fighting fish, Tanaka-U-Out, a knockout artist who wallops opponents with a bone-crushing hammer, and the Sumo Tag Team, kings of the unbeatable belly-buster crunch. Collect coins to buy new equipment and to receive clues, spend some time playing minigames in the arcade or try your luck and increase your fortune at the Quiz House and Horse Races.

Shockman (TurboGrafx16, 1-2 players, 600 Wii Points): It's been two years since Arnold and Sonya were made into Shockmen. A message from the professor to return to their bodies has them head to his laboratory, but they are ambushed by a mysterious enemy along the way. After narrowly defeating the enemy, they catch a TV news flash announcing the Ryo Empire invasion. They find that the professor has been abducted and set out to rescue him. Shockman is a side-view action shooter that has eight stages, including Action Stages, where you jump and use special techniques, and side-scrolling Shooting Stages. This game expands on the well-paced story from the previous version and contains cooperative elements like shared life and a powerful Team Shockbeam that can be used during two-player simultaneous play.
Old 04-30-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We don't have any, but we can't sell them. Yup. Sounds like EB logic to me, must be one impressive training manual.
Old 04-30-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm.. I can't remember if Shockman was good or not. I'll have to check it out.
Old 04-30-07, 08:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I may have to check out the Mystical Ninja game. I'm one of the six people in the US who played the N64 follow-up, and thought that was pretty fun, but I haven't play this one.
Old 04-30-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
The EB I went to on Sunday had no Wiis. They were also dicks to two people that came in while I was picking out my used games for their sale. Guess they are fed up with people asking daily, but that is part of the job of working in a game store.
I was back in Michigan this weekend and at one of the EB Stores I went to Sunday to get on the used games sale had plenty of Wii's. The guy kept asking every person who came in if they wanted one, and the 5-6 people in the store including me and my brother already had one. The clerk said "every day we get about 10 people coming in asking for one plus about 15-20 calls, then today when we actually have them, and we've only sold one". This was at 1pm - I still bet they sold out by close.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.