DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   How does this happen? (Halo 2) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/496340-how-does-happen-halo-2-a.html)

dvdsteve2000 03-26-07 04:43 PM

How does this happen? (Halo 2)

OK, so I think I'm a pretty decent player at Halo 2 (online). Currently I'm at a level 24. The last 5-6 games that I played, I couldn't kill someone if I had a rocket launcher and they had a straw & some wads of wet paper. I see a guy with no shield, I heave a grenade at his feet, then empty about half a clip into him, only to be gunned down by a single SMG. This happens repeatedly for several games in a row. I went from a 24 straight to a 13, then back to a 26, and now I'm on the downward slide again. I can't kill anyone. Without the "You suck" comments and such, is there a reason this happens? Does this happen to you alot? It seems like they are modding, but there can't be that many people modding in every game I friggin' play. Another thing is trying to beat someone down....I usually get two hits in, then they whack me once and I fall, WTF?? I wouldn't care if I had a bad game, or even got my ass kicked repeatedly, but when you should be getting kills hands down and can't register the kill, it really pisses me off.

Thoughts?

~S2

KingSmoth 03-26-07 09:16 PM

I quit for this very reason. It happened to me on so many occasions that I felt certain there was some kind of mod in use. I can admit when I'm not playing up to par or when I make bad shots, but when I put four point blank shotgun blasts into someone that doesn't have overshield, then start to unload with the pistol, and the guy still ends up killing me with one melee hit, that just doesn't work for me.
I've always felt that Halo was completely flawed when someone can walk from rocket launcher splash damage without a scratch, survive multiple shotgun blasts, take two(sometimes three) sniper rifle shots to the body, yet you hit them in the head with your pistol and they're dead in one hit. Ummmmm, they're wearing a helmet, and I'm pretty sure if I hit someone with the butt of a pistol, it won't have as much of an impact as a damn shotgun blast.

Giantrobo 03-26-07 10:38 PM

Yeah this used to happen to me all the time on HALO 2. To the point where it seemed people were cheating. Actually, some were. To be honest I think it's a <b>lag issue</b>. I've been playing lots of Lost Planet online and this kind of thing happens alot. It's like by the time you see the enemy, he has already seen you a second or two earlier and started shooting even though it seems like you both entered at the same time...but he gets the kill.

The other "lag related" issue I've seen is when 3 or 4 guys are trying to kill an enemy and he doesn't die. I mean we're throwing everything we can at him and hitting the target yet suddenly he tosses a grenade and boom! All the shooters are dead and he escapes seemingly unharmed. WTF?!?!?! I've even heard someone talking about how everyone hated a particular player because many have been th victom of his lag issues.

The Bus 03-27-07 09:15 AM

I'd blame lag before a mod. Last night I was playing Halo 2 and was in that awful monorail level playing CTF. Opponents drove up to the flag with a Warthog. I see them coming, drop a grenade, and it falls underneath their Warthog. They get out, grab the flag, move on and kill me on the way out. The grenade never goes off and I saw the animation and the grenade go.

Next round, same exact thing happens. This time, the warthog explodes, the guys die, etc.

Michael Corvin 03-27-07 10:00 AM

It sounds like the SMG-plasma combo. Charged plasma blast reduces the shield and one SMG shot to the head is lethal. I always felt it was a cheap combo. Hopefully it is gone for 3.

mmconhea 03-27-07 02:18 PM

I'm surprised you are able to get to level 24 and not notice that the online play is horrible to begin with.
The game gives the appearance that skill and precision is needed to become a master, yet hits us with a "luck" system of weapons and a hosting system that makes the host the most powerful player. The simple fact that a whole weapon (the shottie) is worthless for anyone but the host is fact enough that the online play is seriosuly flawed.

Right now I'm further annoyed that the playlists all contain 4 levels each. Why don't that asshats at Bungie just let us play all the levels? It's so boring playing the same shit over an over again. I love halo and it's the only matchmaking system I like, but for Christ’s sake, Bungie spends a good 3 days a year supporting this game... I think they sold enough copies to put a little more effort into supporting this game further. I can still do exploits from day one of this game. Fuck your egos and fix that shit.

I hate being a better player than someone and getting pwned by them because they had host and had a shotgun.
I hate emptying a clip of sniper ammo because the guy I’m shooting is a little laggy.
I hate playing the same 3 levels over and over, when there are plenty in the game not being used in the playlists.
I hate the fact that half the stickies thrown go through a player.
Swat is great, but I can chase a guy, shooting them in the back for 2 clips and it not harm them, then they turn around and shoot me once and I’m dead. That and beatdowns still require 3 hits in swat. Bungie, time to start making your rules consistent.
And with dual wielding, there is a luck system involved, so it will never turn out the way you would logically conclude.

But sometimes bullshit works in my favor. We were losing a game of team slayer on Relic. Down by 3 with 5 seconds to go. I was far from the enemy, but knew where they were, so I just started throwing grenades over a hill, across the level at random. One stuck a ghost (across the level) and it blew up taking the whole team with it. We won.

Halo 2 has major flaws. It’s insult to injury when the game is Microsoft’s top-selling of all time, yet the lack of support they offer for fixing obvious issues, is gone. Especially considering how many people still play. It’s a testament to how horrible Bungie is at backing up their games. Heck even their own employees admit the online system is flawed.

Anyways, a good place to rant is my brother's blog. http://fuckbungie.net

dvdsteve2000 03-27-07 02:59 PM

Just last night I was playing Terminal and the game was a 46-46 tie. I spawned with ten seconds left and saw a guy just standing there about 40 feet in front of me (he wasn't moving). I spawned on the Carbine, grabbed it, and emptied the clip into his melon. His shield was gone as the first shot hit him, but he never died. During that same 10 second period, one of my teammates died and we lost 47-46. How in the Hell doesn't an immobile player die with an entire clip from the Carbine, into his skull, die? I've died with 2-3 shots to the cranium/chest before.

mmconhea 03-28-07 09:46 AM

Another flaw I thought of is the melee button. Using the standard controls you can't melee and menuver at the same time. For a game that relys on close combat so much, it's nearly impossible to melee properly. Close combat is a joke in thsi game, it's just a bunch of button mashing until someone drops.