DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Wii - Part IV. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/494188-wii-part-iv.html)

darkside 03-05-07 12:09 PM

Don't see Elevator Action, but the other two are there. Another week with nothing I want to buy.

jdpatri 03-05-07 12:10 PM

Super Ghouls n Ghosts! Excellent. I know I played the hell out of Sword of Vemillion back in the day but I don't remember a damn thing about it.

Quack 03-05-07 12:14 PM

Might have to blind buy Super Ghouls N Ghosts....the original for NES was one of the hardest games I ever played.

spinning plates 03-05-07 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by tanman
I was playing Zelda but I just beat it. Will probably collect the rest of the Poes and the cave of ordeals and then get to work on some DS games. Probably not much for me until some of the other launch games get cheaper. When they hit the $20 or $30 mark I'll probably pick up Excite Truck, Elebits, and Trauma Center.

red steel is $29 this week at best buy.

steebo777 03-05-07 12:19 PM

I've heard good things about Sword of Vermillion, but don't know anything about it. Good VC blind buy?

I am tempted by Super Ghouls and Ghosts...

Michael Corvin 03-05-07 12:37 PM

Ah man, Super Ghouls & Ghosts. I'll have to think about that one.

PixyJunket 03-05-07 12:43 PM

Super Ghouls and Ghosts is on the Capcom Classics disc, if you want a sloppy and blurry version of the game.

Josh H 03-05-07 12:45 PM

Super Ghouls and Ghosts was too hard for me back when I was young and didn't suck at games, so I'm not about to fuck with it now. :lol:

Actually I did give the ROM ago a few months ago and couldn't even get past the second level. :lol:

gimmepilotwings 03-05-07 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Quack
Might have to blind buy Super Ghouls N Ghosts....the original for NES was one of the hardest games I ever played.

Totally. One of my favorite games of all time. When they bring back the original, I might get that on the VC.

slop101 03-05-07 01:41 PM

I wonder if the level-select cheat will work on the SGG's VC.

DodgingCars 03-05-07 02:16 PM

I've been mostly playing Zelda on the Wii. Because I'm renting Hotel Dusk on the DS, I've been spending a lot of time on that... I also am doing the 10 day free trial of World of Warcraft. I've slowed down a little with Zelda because I'm at the Snowpeak dungeon and it's a freakin' annoying dungeon. Not having much fun with it.

I plan on renting Sonic soon, so I'll probably check that out this weekend.

I bought 2 gamecube games (Metroid PH2 and Zelda: WW) on eBay and will be checking those out when I get them.

jdpatri 03-05-07 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777
I've heard good things about Sword of Vermillion, but don't know anything about it. Good VC blind buy?

Well, I'll try to recall some relevant thoughts. No guarantees though. Sword of Vermillion was one of those "action-RPGs" that were new and exciting at the time. It just meant that instead of a turn-based battle, you were thrown into an action scene where you controlled the character in a "live" hack-and-slash battle that was largely determined by your character's powers and abilities. It was one of the few RPGs that held my interest long enough to finish... but I don't remember if that was because it was short or because I really did play the hell out of it.

If you wait a day or two I'll have some feedback edited for 2007 rather than just rosy memories.

PerryD 03-05-07 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Super Ghouls and Ghosts was too hard for me back when I was young and didn't suck at games

I did finish the original Sega Genesis Ghouls and Ghosts, but I don't remember getting too far in Super G&G on the SNES. I picked up the PSP G&G recently and the certainly didn't ease up on the difficulty level on that one either.

I've been real impressed with the SNES game selection on the VC, the real cream of the crop with Super Mario World, Zelda Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Street Fighter II, F-Zero, Super Castlevania, R-Type 3, Contra 3, and now Super Ghouls n Ghosts. I can't imagine a better list of titles to start with. The N64 list is decent considering there is only 3 available.

I have to say the NES VC list really really sucks. Crap like Pinball, Soccer, Tennis and Baseball are a joke. They are charging $5 each for a dozen games that are already included for free with Animal Crossing. Where are Castlevania, Metroid, Double Dragon, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, Dragon Warrior, etc.

ltrain 03-05-07 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by steebo777

I remember really liking Sword of Vermillion back in the day. It had excellent graphics for it's time (especially the boss battles!) It wasn't all that difficult though, especially if you used the strategy guide that came with the cartridge. Overall, it was an enjoyable game, but I don't know how it would hold up today. I'm tempted to give it a try on the VC, but I still haven't bought DKC or Streets of Rage yet, and I think those are more deserving of my $$.

tanman 03-05-07 03:23 PM

There are still some games that I would really like to get on the VC. Mainly two player co-op games. I still think the NES was the best platform for two player co-op.

NES:
Jackal
Contra
Snake Rattle and Roll
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Ducktales

SNES:
Really just Super Metroid but if they could do the Square Soft RPGs that would be awesome. Can you imagine Secret of Mana?

Since the price of the VC games is so high I have been quite picky as to what games I want to get. I really just want to get the games that I played over and over again.

darkside 03-05-07 03:33 PM

I just want Super Mario RPG. They give me that and I let them slide on their other overpriced games.
SG&G is a good game, but my ability to play games like this ended when I turned 20. I no longer have the patience I had in my teens to beat games like that.

DodgingCars 03-05-07 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
I just want Super Mario RPG. They give me that and I let them slide on their other overpriced games.
SG&G is a good game, but my ability to play games like this ended when I turned 20. I no longer have the patience I had in my teens to beat games like that.

I'm glad to hear people say this. I thought it was just me. I suck at games now. Or I always sucked, but I had much more patience as a kid. Now, when I get stuck, I stop trying. Thanks to the internet I can cheat. :)

Josh H 03-05-07 04:42 PM

Yeah, I have zero patience for difficult games these days. So little time for games just leaves me little desire to spend time doing the same shit over and over and over until I finally get past it....only to get stuck at something even harder an hour later in the game.

Plus my life is stressful enough that I don't want added frustration from games. I like to play games to unwind and relax, thus relatively easy games like New Super Mario Bros and Zelda: TP are right up my alley. Especially Zelda where there is still some challenge in figuring out puzzles, but not much in the way of dying repeatedly on bosses etc.

darkside 03-05-07 06:11 PM

Another thing to consider is high difficulty was the norm in the NES and SNES games. That is how you got a value out of most of those games. Spending days on end beating Ghouls and Ghosts and Ninja Gaiden was just the way it was. We didn't know any better. If these games were easier you could beat them in one sitting.
Once games matured and 10-30 hours of gameplay was there on a consistent basis without you having to die and repeat levels 50 times there was no way I would ever go back again. I will still play the occasional Treasure shooter, but 99 times out of 100 I will take a game with medium difficulty. I just want to enjoy the story and have fun. I no longer need to feel frustrated to enjoy a game. I also refuse to dedicate hours on end to mastering a game. I want to enjoy it for 10-20 hours and move on to something else. I would rather spend 100 hours of my life enjoying 10 different games than mastering 1. That is another reason most of the VC stuff is of no interest to me. The kind of gameplay Ninja Gaiden and Ghouls and Ghosts was based on belongs dead and buried.

Jeremy517 03-05-07 08:01 PM

The worst part about Super Ghouls and Ghosts

Spoiler:
You finally struggle all the way through to the end, only to be told that you don't have the weapon you need to beat the last guy (and can't possibly have it yet), and that you have to go all the way through all the levels again. Ugh.

Michael Corvin 03-05-07 08:10 PM

I remember that shit. Total bitch ending.

UncleGramps 03-05-07 08:38 PM

Yeah, at that point I just turned the game off in disgust. Still a great game, just terribly frustrating. I don't think I'll be downloading the VC version for that reason.

eatntae 03-06-07 12:38 AM

I don't remember seeing it mentioned in any of the Wii threads here, but I saw 1st party Wii component cables at BestBuy today, $34.99.

steebo777 03-06-07 06:51 AM

Yeah I've been seeing them for a couple months now at BB.

steebo777 03-06-07 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by tanman
There are still some games that I would really like to get on the VC. Mainly two player co-op games. I still think the NES was the best platform for two player co-op.

NES:
Jackal
Contra
Snake Rattle and Roll
Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers
Ducktales

SNES:
Really just Super Metroid but if they could do the Square Soft RPGs that would be awesome. Can you imagine Secret of Mana?

Since the price of the VC games is so high I have been quite picky as to what games I want to get. I really just want to get the games that I played over and over again.

I'm totally on the same page with everything you said, especially for Secret of Mana.