DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Wii - Part IV. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/494188-wii-part-iv.html)

Josh H 03-14-07 12:06 PM

Ugh.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157973

Best Buy: No Metroid Prime 3 till 2008
Pre-orders told not to hold their breath for Samus in 2007

By Philip Kollar, 03/13/2007

No one's going to argue that Metroid Prime 3: Corruption isn't a major part of Nintendo's upcoming Wii games stable, and that includes Reggie himself, who just over a year ago was saying that Mario, Zelda, and Metroid would make up the unstoppable trio of big-shot games in 2007 that would make hardcore gamers want a Wii. Of course back then Reggie was also saying that there wouldn't be a drought of games for the Wii and that Metroid Prime 3 would make it out in "early 2007". While it may be too early to call it a 'drought', we know that the latest in the Metroid series won't be hitting for a while yet, certainly not falling under most peoples' definitions of early 2007. If a recent post on Joystiq is to be believed, it could be even worse than we had originally thought.

It seems that customers who pre-ordered Metroid Prime 3 off of Best Buy's website have received notification that the date of release for Metroid Prime 3 has shifted to 12/31/2007. The example letter from Joystiq's post is included above. Of course, this is far from confirmation that Metroid Prime 3 won't be dropping this year. There has been no official response from Nintendo ("We don't comment on rumors and speculation"), and when retailers are unsure of release dates, often they'll simply list the end of the month (or perhaps in this case, the year) that they believe the game is supposed to be released in. Take it with a grain of salt for now, but also maybe whisper a prayer to the video game gods that we get our dose of strange planet exploration this year.
Not an "official" delay, but looks like we won't be getting it until the holidays at the earliest in all likelihood.

Really wishing I had waited until this fall to pick up a Wii rather than getting one at launch. It's starting to look likely that at the 1 year mark in Nov. all I will have bought for the Wii will be Zelda and Super Paper Mario. :(

KurrptSenate 03-14-07 12:15 PM

that sucks, but it probably due to online-support, in which case I'm all for the delay :/

DodgingCars 03-14-07 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Ugh.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157973

Not an "official" delay, but looks like we won't be getting it until the holidays at the earliest in all likelihood.

Really wishing I had waited until this fall to pick up a Wii rather than getting one at launch. It's starting to look likely that at the 1 year mark in Nov. all I will have bought for the Wii will be Zelda and Super Paper Mario. :(

This is such a BS "story" and I wish all the sites would stop reporting it. First of all, retailers would not know the street dates this early. At best, they'd know it slightly before we do. Typically retailers are only given about 2 months notice on street dates so they can make pre-orders. This information is kept under pretty tight wraps amongst all industries (music, movie, and games).

IMO, all this means is that Best Buy still doesn't have a concrete street date, so they are giving the game a placeholder date in 2007.

Remember, Super Paper Mario had less than a 2 month street date notice, I think the same could be said for Metroid. It could still come out this summer for all we know.

As an example, I could (but wouldn't) give you approx. street dates for Universal DVDs until well into 2008 -- even on movies that haven't been in the theaters yet. Some of these dates will change, but they're already set. Yet, Best Buy won't know any of these dates until we send out the pre-order information to their buyers and it's updated in their system. And they certainly wouldn't have that information 9 months in advance

Josh H 03-14-07 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
that sucks, but it probably due to online-support, in which case I'm all for the delay :/

Not me, I don't care for online play. If its to tweak the controls, I'm all for. For online I'm just waiting on something I probably won't play.

With all the annoying kids on X-box live, I can only imagine how bad it will be on the Wii which skews even younger being a Nintendo console.

Yes it's bringing in some older non-gamers, but those people aren't going to buy Metroid, much less play it or any FPS online.

DodgingCars 03-14-07 01:41 PM

Not me, I don't care for online play. If its to tweak the controls, I'm all for. For online I'm just waiting on something I probably won't play.

With all the annoying kids on X-box live, I can only imagine how bad it will be on the Wii which skews even younger being a Nintendo console.

Yes it's bringing in some older non-gamers, but those people aren't going to buy Metroid, much less play it or any FPS online.

I'm not a fan of online play vs. strangers, but the idea of playing against friends is appealing. Of course none of my friends have a Wii. I'm much more interested in WoW for instance because I know several people who play, but I'm still not excited enough to pay a subscription fee to play.

Josh H 03-14-07 01:44 PM

Same here, none of my friends have Wiis.

pinata242 03-14-07 02:08 PM

Same here, none of my friends have Wiis.

:wave:

You don't need to know people in the real world to have friends to play with.

Josh H 03-14-07 02:09 PM

I'm a looking forward to playing with some people on here if they get something like smash bros or a future Mario Kart online.

No interest in Pokemon or Metroid (or any FPS really).

pizzamousechips 03-14-07 02:22 PM

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere here yet.

The Wii Charge Station is apparently selling like hotcakes. I normally avoid Nyko products by any means necessary, but if these things work like they're supposed to (and why wouldn't they?), then I may have to shell out the $30 for one myself.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...V45812870_.jpg

Josh H 03-14-07 02:26 PM

I have no interest since I just use rechargable NiHm AA's which I already had laying around. :shrug:

Thus it would be more hassle for me to find a place to plug that in and set it out etc.

pizzamousechips 03-14-07 02:28 PM

I've also been using rechargeable NiHm's but in my case this would be the lesser of two hassles. Then again, I hate Nyko products, so I'm on the fence.

DodgingCars 03-14-07 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by pizzamousechips
Didn't see this mentioned anywhere here yet.

The Wii Charge Station is apparently selling like hotcakes. I normally avoid Nyko products by any means necessary, but if these things work like they're supposed to (and why wouldn't they?), then I may have to shell out the $30 for one myself.
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...V45812870_.jpg

I may consider it. I hadn't gone to rechargeable yet, and instead have just been using e2's from energizer which last about 5-6x longer than standard batteries.

$30 isn't bad. I'll wait for more reviews.

KurrptSenate 03-14-07 02:50 PM

i did see that, was quite interested in getting one...

but we seriously have about 12 packs of energizers left. Perhaps I'll wait till they are all gone before I make the purchase...

sad thing is, that won't be for at LEAST another year

KurrptSenate 03-14-07 02:52 PM

i can totally understand the reluctance to want to play games online, considering most seem to be A-holes that can't control themselves, and have a bad case of tourettes...

I know its turned me off of games in the past, to the point where I'd get rid of them, but having a small group of friends to play online, no matter where they live, is really unmatched

to combat the idiots, i just host more

DodgingCars 03-14-07 02:57 PM

i can totally understand the reluctance to want to play games online, considering most seem to be A-holes that can't control themselves, and have a bad case of tourettes...

I know its turned me off of games in the past, to the point where I'd get rid of them, but having a small group of friends to play online, no matter where they live, is really unmatched

to combat the idiots, i just host more

If any of my friends jump on to the Wii, I'll be more excited about online gaming. Or, I'd consider playing against some DVDTalkers.

Michael Corvin 03-14-07 03:05 PM

I cannot fathom peoples complaints about assholes online. I have a dozen or so DVDtalkers on my 360 friends list, a few of which are online every night in various games. If I want to play a game online, I can generally find one with the crew. I'm sure the same would be for the wii. So I never deal with the assholes. Just play with people you know.

KurrptSenate 03-14-07 03:14 PM

well Michael, what if you didn't have cool internet friends to game with?

you would either have to subject yourself to the "torture", or just not play online

Ocelot 03-14-07 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242
What exactly does this have to do with the fact that by selling a Wii to a 60 or 70 year old woman who is perfectly satisfied with Tennis or Bowling on Wii Sports results in a profit for Nintendo?

errr, what are you talking about?

rayw69 03-14-07 04:29 PM

Just picked up Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07. Hope it doesn't suck.

Josh H 03-14-07 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ocelot
errr, what are you talking about?

He's just wondering why his post elicited a seemingly non-related rant on how your Wii is gathering dust.

Michael Corvin 03-14-07 05:11 PM

well Michael, what if you didn't have cool internet friends to game with?

Well anyone posting here complaining, has a pool of people to play with if they don't have any non-online friends who game. I do, which is why I usually don't hook up much with the folks here.

jeffdsmith 03-14-07 05:15 PM

Best Buy delays rumors are wrong more often then they are right in my experience. It's only March, unless they have gone for a complete redesign of the game engine, there is little reason why it wouldn't make it out this year.

That is... unless Nintendo deals it the "Spread the good games out over time" card.

DodgingCars 03-14-07 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well anyone posting here complaining, has a pool of people to play with if they don't have any non-online friends who game. I do, which is why I usually don't hook up much with the folks here.

For me, I just don't have as much fun playing against strangers. There's something more fun about playing with people you know.

I never even really like playing against strangers in arcades. :)

rayw69 03-14-07 06:36 PM

A quick tip about Tiger Woods.

It has perhaps the worst user interface ever designed in any game I have ever played. Not speaking about the actual game controls. I am referring to the navigation through the various menus to start a game, and the ones used to customize your character.

Unbelievable that none of the reviews for the game have mentioned this.

Josh H 03-14-07 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by DodgingCars
For me, I just don't have as much fun playing against strangers. There's something more fun about playing with people you know.

I never even really like playing against strangers in arcades. :)

Same here.

I wouldn't mind playing with people from here, and would greatly prefer it to playing random assholes for sure.

But I'd still rather get together with my couple buddies in the area who are big gamers and play in the wee hours pounding some good import and micro brew beer or some good Scotch as we tend to do a few times a month. :D