Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

MLB 2K7 Release date pushed up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I played a few games yesterday and I'm a bit mixed. I really want to like it since it's Next-Gen baseball.

Pro's
- Swing stick seems ok (I usually prefer button, but I'm getting used to it)
- Baserunning seems easy enough
- I could SAC bunt (stated above that others couldn't)

Cons
- FIELDING. HORRIBLE. The camera is a mess, I tried turning off "Keep fielder in center (or whatever it's called)" and that seems a little better. Hopefully as stated above, there are more views in the normal game.
- Throwing animations are weird. Throws on the run almost every play on a grounder

There are more of both, but I'm still comparing to MVP 05, which is still superior IMO. Graphics don't really mean nothing to me if the gamplay is lacking.
Old 02-27-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't care for the demo at all. I thought it was too easy to hit homers and the camera was the suck. I'm gonna give it a rental rather than buying it right off the shelf just to see if the retail game is any better. Hoping i'm wrong, the last time a demo turned me off a game i actually bought it (crackdown).
Old 02-27-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i really liked the demo. they definately made alot of improvements. yeah the fielding isn't perfect yet, but remember that when throwing when you have the time you have to let your fielder set his feet, otherwise you will always be throwing off balance. i think everyone is just used to hitting the throw button as soon as the ball is in the glove. this is definately a buy for me today.
Old 02-27-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Well, I played a few games yesterday and I'm a bit mixed. I really want to like it since it's Next-Gen baseball.

Pro's
- Swing stick seems ok (I usually prefer button, but I'm getting used to it)
- Baserunning seems easy enough
- I could SAC bunt (stated above that others couldn't)

Cons
- FIELDING. HORRIBLE. The camera is a mess, I tried turning off "Keep fielder in center (or whatever it's called)" and that seems a little better. Hopefully as stated above, there are more views in the normal game.
- Throwing animations are weird. Throws on the run almost every play on a grounder

There are more of both, but I'm still comparing to MVP 05, which is still superior IMO. Graphics don't really mean nothing to me if the gamplay is lacking.
In the retail version of the game you should be able to change how you swing to "classic", which is just pressing the "A" button.

I'm like you in that I'm comparing every baseball game I play to MVP '05 and this one doesn't come close. I was extremely disappointed with the demo and won't be spending $60 for the retail version. I agree with you about the fielding, it just feels like it's going in slow-motion, it isn't fluid like MVP. The gaphics weren't all that impressive, I still think MVP '05 looks good when compared to these next gen baseball games. I was really looking forward to this one since I heard there was someone from the MVP team working on this game -- apparently he didn't have that much input.
Old 02-27-07, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, as much as I bash the game for its fielding, I'm probably still pick this up. I have $25 RZ coupons for Best Buy and there is a $10 coupon floating around on CAG.

So, it's tempting for some next gen baseball...although, I have MVP 05 with the new rosters too. I guess something says I want something "new" though.
Old 02-27-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got this preordered from EB to pick up this afternoon. I'm DYING for a baseball game that sucks me in and absolutely monopolizes my time, and I'm a sucker and I'll give this a shot. However, it's a tougher decision since I'm almost addicted at an almost unhealthy level to Crackdown right now, so if it really stinks at least I've got something to fall back on.
Old 02-27-07, 11:23 AM

Yeah, as much as I bash the game for its fielding, I'm probably still pick this up. I have $25 RZ coupons for Best Buy and there is a $10 coupon floating around on CAG.

So, it's tempting for some next gen baseball...although, I have MVP 05 with the new rosters too. I guess something says I want something "new" though.
I want something new as well but nothing has been able to top MVP '05. My only problem is, I can't play it now since I traded in my old Xbox for a 360. I wish they'd put it on the BC list but I doubt that's going to happen.
Old 02-27-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Setzer
I want something new as well but nothing has been able to top MVP '05. My only problem is, I can't play it now since I traded in my old Xbox for a 360. I wish they'd put it on the BC list but I doubt that's going to happen.
I acutally hooked up my old XBOX to play this game....I did some other things to it also, but that's another story.

Still tempted to get MLB 2K7 since I really enjoy my 360 better.
Old 02-27-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't see MVP '05 being topped for a long time, if ever. That game was pretty much magic for me. A good deal of that had to due with the incredible ball physics. The hit variety was probably the best I've ever seen in a baseball game.

As good as it was on the XBox, if any of you can get the PC version, I would highly recommend it. There is a mod to "update" it to 2007, and the results are really amazing. It seriously is almost like a brand new official retail game.

Oh, regarding there being too many homers in the 2K7 demo, the default difficulty is rookie for some lame reason. I was hitting bombs with ease until I realized what was up and bumped it up a couple levels. The game still won't match MVP, imo, but it will play more realistic on higher difficulties.
Old 02-27-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was playing around with MVP 05 on the PC. I had a version of it, but it did not play well on my PC....older PC. I basically have the 07 rosters for XBOX for MVP 05.

So, anyone pick this up today? Best Buy has it in stock. For $25 my cost (RZ/coupon) I may bite.
Old 02-27-07, 01:52 PM

Well, according to people posting on the official 2K7 forums, the actual game is much, much better than the demo. They're saying the demo must have been an early build of the game and it's no where near how the final game turned out. I think I'm going to stop by my local Hollywood video on my way home and rent this to check it out.

In regards to MVP '05, I forgot there was a PC version. If 2K7 bombs then I'll see if I can find a copy of MVP '05(PC) on ebay.
Old 02-27-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's encouraging. I'm still gonna hold off on buying right away. Gonna check my stores and see if i can rent it.
Old 02-27-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How did you get new rosters for MVP 05? I'm a huge fan of that game too and would love to be able to use current rosters on it. Is there a way to update MVP 05 for the PS2? I don't have an XBOX, 360, or PS3 (holding out til there are some good games on the PS3 and then I'll get one)

With it being over 2 years since anyone made a decent MLB game, you'd think certain influencial people in the video game industry would understand that MVP 05 was the best. So why not just make that game almost exactly the same and just call it something else for 2007. I know, I know...makes too much sense right?

Last edited by Kaiser Soze; 02-27-07 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-27-07, 06:37 PM

I don't know if there's an update available for the PS2 version but the '07 update for the PC version can be found at eamods.com or mvpmods.com.
Old 02-27-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

man I really really liked MVP, but apparently not as much as you guys. This game is a lot better than I think people will get. Just in the demo I've seen some pretty amazing things that make it one of the truest to life sports games I have ever played.

In the demo I hit what I thought was a homerun and the rightfielder went to rob it. I thought he had it and he did but the motion of his glove hitting the wall and coming back made the ball pop out of his glove and back onto the field. Looked amazingly realistic. And also if you over run a fly ball and need to back up a bit, you don't swivel around and run around unrealisticly like in every other game, the player realisticlly backs up. pretty cool.
Old 02-27-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like it for the most part so far. I hate the fielding though. There's only one view.

= J
Old 02-27-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
man I really really liked MVP, but apparently not as much as you guys. This game is a lot better than I think people will get. Just in the demo I've seen some pretty amazing things that make it one of the truest to life sports games I have ever played.

In the demo I hit what I thought was a homerun and the rightfielder went to rob it. I thought he had it and he did but the motion of his glove hitting the wall and coming back made the ball pop out of his glove and back onto the field. Looked amazingly realistic. And also if you over run a fly ball and need to back up a bit, you don't swivel around and run around unrealisticly like in every other game, the player realisticlly backs up. pretty cool.
Looks like I'll have to check this game out. I haven't enjoyed playing an MLB game since MVP 05...so this better kick ass RocketSauce. Or else....
Old 02-28-07, 01:01 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I was thinking about getting this for the 360, but I just bought a PS3, so I think I'll wait for MLB '07: The Show. I loved MLB '06: The Show for the PS2, and I keep hearing mixed things about the 2K series.
Old 02-28-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked 2k6 last year on the 360, but I had way more fun playing MLB 06 on my PSP so I'll probably just skip 2k7 this year and go with MLB again.
Old 02-28-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

teamxbox.com has posted their review for the 360 and gave it an 8.4 overall. Since so many people were put off by glitches in last year's version, I thought I'd post what the reviewer had to say about those:

While MLB 2K7 doesn’t have anything even approaching last year’s brutal crash bug, it’s not without it’s technical problems. You’ll see an odd thing happen just about every game, although its usually not enough to ruin your experience. Most of them fall into the realm of collision detection, though there are some others. I’ve seen players literally sliding through the legs of other players (so much for blocking the plate), a batted ball go through the chest of the pitcher, and an outfielder unable to pick up a ball. I even managed to hit a home run that went through the center of Fenway Park’s famed Green Monster. I also got screwed out of two achievements during one game (steal six bases with a team and pull off a double steal), but I’m hopeful that those won’t happen every time. - teamxbox.com review
Old 02-28-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I played about 2 games last night, but some things are still broke.

Operation Sports gripes:
- Roster Glitch still in effect from last year (basically, if a CPU player gets injured, they never insert back into the lineup....Jeter was out for 2 weeks, 3 weeks pass he is still in the minors)
- The NEW rosters (downloadable ones) are wrong....they dropped a 0 from the salary, thus making the new rosters useless for franchise people

My things:
- No collision detection with fielders and runners? I tried to break up a double play and my player slid right THROUGH the second baseman. They give us contextual sliding, but make it pointless. People at OP are saying runners are being called out WITHOUT even getting tagged.
- I kept getting thrown out from a ball hit to the wall to RF at second. Players are either TOO slow, or arms on RF's were great (happened twice)

I hope things get patched....but if I cannot break up a doubleplay, that is crazy.

Oh yeah....Achievements seems to be broke for some things.

Last edited by DJ_Longfellow; 02-28-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 10:21 AM

There is some collision detection because I had a play at the plate yesterday and the CPU runner collided with my catcher and the ball went flying and both players fell over realistically.
Old 02-28-07, 10:34 AM

Well, I played about 2 games last night, but some things are still broke.

Operation Sports gripes:
- Roster Glitch still in effect from last year (basically, if a CPU player gets injured, they never insert back into the lineup....Jeter was out for 2 weeks, 3 weeks pass he is still in the minors)
- The NEW rosters (downloadable ones) are wrong....they dropped a 0 from the salary, thus making the new rosters useless for franchise people

My things:
- No collision detection with fielders and runners? I tried to break up a double play and my player slid right THROUGH the second baseman. They give us contextual sliding, but make it pointless. People at OP are saying runners are being called out WITHOUT even getting tagged.
- I kept getting thrown out from a ball hit to the wall to RF at second. Players are either TOO slow, or arms on RF's were great (happened twice)

I hope things get patched....but if I cannot break up a doubleplay, that is crazy.

Oh yeah....Achievements seems to be broke for some things.
You played the demo, right? Did you notice any differences between the final version and the demo? I went by my local video store last night and they didn't have any copies in for rent yet.
Old 02-28-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, they are pretty similiar IMO. The retail version seems to have a little more little things that make it nice....but there are flaws.

- Anyone get achievements to work yet? I believe if you adjust sliders to make the game playable then you lose any chance to get achievements.
Old 02-28-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i heard that if you do adjust sliders you can't get achievements, but I have never cared about the pissing contest that is acheivements anyways so I could care less.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.