DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Virtua Fighter 5 or Fall of Man Resistance (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/493205-virtua-fighter-5-fall-man-resistance.html)

dizzlle01 02-21-07 01:06 PM

Virtua Fighter 5 or Fall of Man Resistance

I had my ps3 for about a month and have over 30 blu ray. Im in need of a game and thinking about one of these titles. Which one should I get?I want to get a game for the ps3. Im tired of playing the demos from the playstation store. I already have Gears Of War and Rainbow Six vegas on the 360.

shumway 02-21-07 01:09 PM

From what I have read, everyone seems to much prefer Gears to Resistance as far as FPS go, so, as long as you have been a past fan of the VF series, go w/ VF 5.

KurrptSenate 02-21-07 01:11 PM

Gears is definitely better than resistance...

VF5 seems pretty interesting for sure.

Noonan 02-21-07 01:14 PM

It all depends one which types of games you prefer. From the other games you listed, I'm sure you would like R:FoM. But considering you alreday have two similar games which are better IMO I'd go for VF5 if you're a fan of fighting games. I'd buy it in a second if it were on-line. I'll probably just wait on the Tekken:DR download which should be out soon.

Josh H 02-21-07 01:17 PM

Assuming you like both Genre's, VF 5 is a no brainer.

It's getting great reviews, called the best fighting game every by some, while Resistance is just a slightly above average, run of the mill FPS.

DamingR 02-21-07 01:29 PM

Well, I don't know if everyone in this thread has a PS3, but Resistance definitely is not a second-rate game. In fact, I liked it a lot better than GoW and R6:V's single player. I can't comment on the multiplayer yet, but the single player is VERY fun and longer than GoW.

VF5 looks awesome, but there's no online and I don't generally find those games to have much replay value unless you have friends that live nearby and an extra $100 for fighter sticks.

DamingR 02-21-07 01:36 PM

Plus, VF 5 is coming to the 360 with achievements and you can use the DOA4 fighter sticks.

Josh H 02-21-07 01:45 PM

VF5, like VF4 will have a little more replay value than most fighting games due to the custom character that learns AI as you play more, advance in ranks etc, tons of stuff to unlock in quest mode etc.

I don't have a PS3, but playing a few hours of Resistance at a friends did little for me. It's a solid FPS, just nothing new, groundbreaking or exciting IMO. Basically an 8.0-8.5 game like most reviewed it.

Noonan 02-21-07 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by DamingR
Well, I don't know if everyone in this thread has a PS3, but Resistance definitely is not a second-rate game. In fact, I liked it a lot better than GoW and R6:V's single player. I can't comment on the multiplayer yet, but the single player is VERY fun and longer than GoW.

VF5 looks awesome, but there's no online and I don't generally find those games to have much replay value unless you have friends that live nearby and an extra $100 for fighter sticks.

I have one, and I agree that RFoM is far from a 2nd rate game. I did have more fun playing Resistance on-line than GoW. I'm addicted to R6 on-line so that's my favorite out of the three in that regard.

RichC2 02-21-07 02:42 PM

Gears was a lot more involving and entertaining than R:FoM, but it's still a good title, though I may be bias as I find the dual shock/sixaxis analogue positions atrocious for FPS titles.

That said, Virtua Fighter 5 is a deep, good game - though doesn't feel particularly new and the single player is lacking. So it'd be good if you constantly have another person around to play with.

Though, you could just wait for Heavenly Sword... though the more I see of it, the less impressed I am. Nevermind, thought that was coming out in March, damn EB for their placeholder dates (it's still TBD with expected 6/1 release now).

Bleh, just get R:FoM, the game feels a tad generic but the weapons more than compensate for it. Plus, it has some decent online options.

XavierMike 02-21-07 03:23 PM

I was just going to post this same question. :) I think I've decided to pick up VF5 after work. I love games with unlockables. I'll post some thoughts later.

Chris_D 02-21-07 07:11 PM

RFOM is far more accessible to the average player I would say. When it comes down to it, its a pretty good console fps shooter (from what reviews say). Also the online is meant to be solid while VF5 has none.

VF is really a game only for hardcore fighter fans. And by that, I don't mean someone who loves Tekken or even the capcom fighters. I mean, I really don't think the average player is going to enjoy VF5. It's totally a technical fighter, everything seems to require perfect timing. You don't have those flashy amazing looking moves that are pretty much the staple of Tekken or even Soul Calibre.

I like Tekken because I can play with friends, we can both pick a character, and pull off some cool looking moves and have fun, even without spending hours in the training mode. Sure it's not perfectly balanced for competition play, but why the hell should I care.

So don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put this as a tekken vs vf thing, but I just think that unless you're a hardcore VF fan, or at least a hardcore fan of other fighters (who loves mastering every move and is more interested in balance than good looks), then you'll find this game inaccessible. At least, rent it before you buy. You have been warned.

ROTM, and Tekken 5 on the download service would probably be better choices for a casual gamer.

Just as an extra note, remember that most publications and sites will always put their hardcore fighter fan on the VF reviews. I'm sure if they just put a casual player on the review, who's played a bit of soul calibre or tekken or marvel vs capcom, then the reviews would read quite differently.

Ralph Wiggum 02-21-07 07:12 PM

Unless you have competition and good sticks, there isn't much to point to getting VF5, IMO. Resistance has a totally solid single-player campaign, and the multiplayer is better than Gears.

XavierMike 02-21-07 11:23 PM

Just picked up VF 5 tonight. Its preety awesome. The graphics are top notch. I haven't had a VF game before, but I've played a lot of other fighting games. Seems fairly easy to pick up and play, but there is definately considerable depth to the game. I wish there was an online componant, but at least the quest mode is cool. There is a ton of stuff to unlock for each fighter.

SteelgearX 02-23-07 09:04 AM

I don't have a PS3, so I'll be waiting for the 360 version, but would there be any interest in dvdtalkers gathering to play this locally? I'm in Orlando, FL. I'm also not a serial killer. :)