Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop sinks even lower

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-07, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I'm very polite and courteous to employees who do their job, not so much with ones that aren't.

That's all the respect they deserve. I don't need to actually stop and say "good job" when they're just doing what they are paid to do.

Of course when a retail person goes the extra mile to find something for me etc. I'll thank them and say I appreciated their help.

But that generally doesn't happen in Gamestop. What am I supposed to do, stop and say "Wow thanks for not hounding me about trade ins and preorders today!" the 1 out 100 times the employees don't annoy me about that shit?

Obviously I'm talking about when someone goes above and beyond what they would normally do. What I'm saying is that some people will go out of their way to complain and bitch about stuff they don't like, but good service will go unnoticed. That can drain a good employee. The hotel I work at is very good at recognizing the employees. We're in the top five in our brand worldwide.
Old 02-27-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Retail is a thankless job no matter where you work.
Old 03-30-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Old 03-30-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
As much as I hate Gamestop, I'm still not enthusiastic about digital distribution. The fact that I can burn the music I buy from iTunes is the only reason I do so. Otherwise, I want that disc in my hand.
Old 03-30-07, 01:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upscale my ass.
Old 03-30-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I can live with the occasional $10 download game, but there is no way I buy my full price games through download only. For one if you don't like the game there is no outlet to resell it and secondly I don't want my hard drive to crash and then I have to redownload a hundred gigs worth of games. Not to mention the game companies may not always be around to authorize the DRM on my game.

Too much bullshit with digital distribution for me.
Old 03-30-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to buy used games and DVDs at the local GameStop, but grew tired of missing booklets and damaged discs. Good OOP deals can be found on occasion, but it's just not worth the trouble most of the time.*

* This notable disdain does not apply to Supermallet's store.
If I lived nearby, I would stop in just to give shout-outs.
Old 03-30-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I can live with the occasional $10 download game, but there is no way I buy my full price games through download only. For one if you don't like the game there is no outlet to resell it and secondly I don't want my hard drive to crash and then I have to redownload a hundred gigs worth of games. Not to mention the game companies may not always be around to authorize the DRM on my game.

Too much bullshit with digital distribution for me.
Ditto. I think game discs will be around forever. Digital favors the distributor too much.

Look how popular MP3s and digital music has gotten. CDs aren't going anywhere. People still want physical media.
Old 03-30-07, 01:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
* This notable disdain does not apply to Supermallet's store.
If I lived nearby, I would stop in just to give shout-outs.
Thanks!
Old 05-01-07, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I thought some of you might get a kick out of this shirt.

Old 05-01-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a pretty over eager guy yesterday. I shake it off because its their job, but he ran the whole gambit. "Any trades", "What systems do you own", "What kind of games do you play", "Did you know Halo 3 is coming", "what can I preorder for you today", etc.

I also love the fact that you can tell them you don't like something and they will immediately agree with you. I told him for fun that I didn't like Sony and he immediately went into a rant about David Jaffe leaving Sony to work for Microsoft (first I have heard of it) and of the PS3 being an overpriced system and the PS2 breaking all the time and so on. He never seemed to notice the fact I was buying 3 PS2 games at the time.
Old 05-01-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had a pretty over eager guy yesterday. I shake it off because its their job, but he ran the whole gambit. "Any trades", "What systems do you own", "What kind of games do you play", "Did you know Halo 3 is coming", "what can I preorder for you today", etc.
He was probably a district manager or something of the sort. No matter how pressing GameStop employees can get about reserves, they don't usually press THAT hard - unless authority is around or they ARE that authority.
Old 05-01-07, 05:17 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

I also love the fact that you can tell them you don't like something and they will immediately agree with you. I told him for fun that I didn't like Sony and he immediately went into a rant about David Jaffe leaving Sony to work for Microsoft (first I have heard of it) and of the PS3 being an overpriced system and the PS2 breaking all the time and so on. He never seemed to notice the fact I was buying 3 PS2 games at the time.
I think I might go "play" with one of these guys this weekend.
Old 05-01-07, 05:21 PM
Banned

rant about David Jaffe leaving Sony to work for Microsoft (first I have heard of it)

Where do they come up with this shit? I would expect to hear that from some 14 year old on Gamefaqs.
Old 05-01-07, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
Where do they come up with this shit? I would expect to hear that from some 14 year old on Gamefaqs.
They're the same person Taffer, the same person.
Old 05-01-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelgearX
They're the same person Taffer, the same person.
Just without the noticeable spelling errors.
Old 05-02-07, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by taffer
Oh, I've heard some crazy shit from them before. You would think they would be more educated in what is going on.

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I think I might go "play" with one of these guys this weekend.
I love doing this. The last time I went, they hounded me as soon as I waslked in the door(empty handed, mind you). "do you have anything to trade in?" (does it look like it, fucking moron?) So at this point my favorite thing to do is tease/mock them. A routine example:

"Do you know when 'X' game is coming out?"
"Sure" ... looks it up... gives the date, salivating at the potential sale.
"Cool. Thanks."
"Would you like to pre-order?"
"Nah, I'll just walk in Best Buy and get it when it comes out."

It's even better when you get them to look up multiple titles. They waste my time with stupid questions, I'm going to do the same right back.
Old 05-02-07, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I love doing this. The last time I went, they hounded me as soon as I waslked in the door(empty handed, mind you). "do you have anything to trade in?" (does it look like it, fucking moron?) So at this point my favorite thing to do is tease/mock them. A routine example:

"Do you know when 'X' game is coming out?"
"Sure" ... looks it up... gives the date, salivating at the potential sale.
"Cool. Thanks."
"Would you like to pre-order?"
"Nah, I'll just walk in Best Buy and get it when it comes out."

It's even better when you get them to look up multiple titles. They waste my time with stupid questions, I'm going to do the same right back.

Uhm...woooow man. Why not drop a deuce in their cash register while you're at it? Geezus dude. But seriously, they're just doing their job and the questions they ask last no more than 5 to 10 seconds.

All you have to say is "NO" and move . It works for me everytime....

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-02-07 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-02-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to not be too rude to them personally. Ocassionaly I get super irritating guy, but 90% of them know what they are saying is irritating BS. They will do the basic thing when you walk in and then leave you alone. If they know you they usually know your habits anyway and don't say anything unless a manager is around.

There is a guy named Patrick at the 1604 store across the highway from Best Buy that is super fucking irritating. (I recommend this experience to any of the San Antonio people) He started out as a guy that would just hang out at the store 8 hours a day so they finally just hired him.

Some days he is in high gear and will literally never shut up. He is either giving you the cross sales stuff non stop or he is in fanboy mode bitching to someone else about the way a certain game or system either sucks or is the greatest thing ever. He also brings his own personal notebook computer and runs game videos. He then drives you crazy asking if you have seen this video or that video. If you are getting this game or that game. You want to punch him in the face.

When I bought my first 9 B2G1F titles last weekend I grouped them into three stacks since one stack had three $40 games, one had three $25 games and one stack was three games under $15. He starts ringing them up all together. I told him to stop and that I wanted to do each stack of 3 by itself to get the biggest discount. He tells me that he can't do that and continues to scan them in. I tell him alright then, but I don't want those 6 cheaper games just the 3 expensive ones. He then blows a fuse and refuses to talk to me again. He also didn't want to take my discount card. I had to almost hold it under his nose for him to take it. After he finishes ringing me up I told him I would go ahead and buy the 3 $25 games after all and we went through the whole thing again including not wanting to take the card. I finished up by changing my mind and buying the 3 cheap games as well. I'm not sure if they guy will ever speak to me again, but I really hope he remembers me and doesn't.
Old 05-02-07, 07:40 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Old 05-02-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do that same kind of thing whenever I backup a music CD or something. It usually turns out to be a crappy rendition of a crappy picture, but I like it
Old 05-02-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love selling it that way as new.
Old 05-02-07, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Flay
If this is true I am totally speechless. I would love for one of the defenders of GameStop/EB to come and defend this..
Old 05-02-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

they make pricing mistakes all the time, though. I went into the local EB a few days ago and noticed their big display of all the pokemon games. I noticed they had player's choice titles for the GBA listed at 34.99 (pokemon green life and fire red). I asked the manager if this was correct and he assumed it was. After looking in the computer system, he realized it was incorrect, and should say that its 19.99.

I mean, I know they have a history of selling opened shit as new, but I honestly don't think they'd try to pass off a box like that as new. I mean, they have the ability to print out real inserts
Old 05-02-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
they make pricing mistakes all the time, though. I went into the local EB a few days ago and noticed their big display of all the pokemon games. I noticed they had player's choice titles for the GBA listed at 34.99 (pokemon green life and fire red). I asked the manager if this was correct and he assumed it was. After looking in the computer system, he realized it was incorrect, and should say that its 19.99.

I mean, I know they have a history of selling opened shit as new, but I honestly don't think they'd try to pass off a box like that as new. I mean, they have the ability to print out real inserts
So other then the price you are ok with it? Wow...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.