Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamestop sinks even lower

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 01:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Since they open up their "new" games and take the disc out, I've always sort of suspected that they sell used games that are in halfway decent condition as "new."
That is absolutely not true. When we take in used games, it goes into our system as used. More likely what's happening is that the employees are buying the mint copies for themselves.
Old 02-18-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think this has been mentioned...

I don't know if all of the stores are like this, but all EB/GS stores near me look horrible. You can hardly turn around as they've got crap everywhere in these tiny little stores. I guess corporate decided to save money by leasing smaller mall locations? I'm not claustrophobic or anything, but I can't stand to be in the stores for any length of time.

The used games covering the walls looks horrible too. Some of the covers are usually missing and have been replace with handmade, magic-marker covers. Those big yellow 'USED' stickers cover a big corner of each box.

I guess it's not a big deal, but these stores are very unpleasing to the eye.

Last edited by Gromit; 02-18-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
One of the mall stores looks like this. 75% of their used games are just discs so they have generic boxes everywhere. Gamestop is absolutely stupid to take in any used games missing their boxes and instructions. That goes for GBA as well. I sure as hell would never buy a used game that wasn't complete and it makes the store look trashy having generic boxes and loose GBA carts everywhere.
Old 02-18-07, 01:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
They do it so they don't turn away customers.
Old 02-19-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i pre-order things from there all the time, but only to help out my manager friend.

Getting calls about this crap does stink, but that's why I screen my phonecalls in the first place.

If its an unfamiliar number, there's no way in hell I pick up
Old 02-19-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always maintained that GameStop is one of the worst thing to happen to video gaming. FuncoLand before them are the sole reason why boxes and instruction manuals to old 8 and 16-bit games do not exist anymore.. and they STILL throw away the boxes and books to GBA games they get in.. fucking disgusting. It makes me hostile just thinking about it.
Old 02-19-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i just want the cheapest game (disc itself, as I could care less about box/packaging) and will frequent whatever store has the cheapest price.
Old 02-19-07, 08:57 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

For the most part I don't mind GameStop/EB. I don't deal with them too much, but on occasion I will go in and pick up a used game.

The one practice of theirs that I don't agree with and there has to be another solution is when they try to sell the last "new" copy of a game.

Once, I went into a GameStop looking for a game. The guy said they had one copy left and asked if I would like it. I said sure, as he stated it was a new copy. He then took out an open case, and opened a drawer and got the game out of a cardboard sleeve. Put the disc in the case and proceeded to ring up the game at new price. I asked him what he was doing, and he stated he was selling me a new game. I and asked him if the game is new, how come it was opened.

He explained that they don't get a display case and open one copy so they have a display case on the shelf. I told him forget it and said I didn't want a used copy. He got all huffy and corrected me by stating it was a "new" copy.
Old 02-19-07, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vryce

The one practice of theirs that I don't agree with and there has to be another solution is when they try to sell the last "new" copy of a game.
I agree. I just don't get that. Can I walk into the store with an opened game and get full exchange credit for it? Of course not. So how can they sell me an opened game at full price? Surely they buy in enough volume that they could demand one or two empty cases for each store from their suppliers to use for display purposes.
Old 02-19-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,803 Likes on 1,126 Posts
For the most part I don't mind GameStop/EB. I don't deal with them too much, but on occasion I will go in and pick up a used game.

Once, I went into a GameStop looking for a game. The guy said they had one copy left and asked if I would like it. I said sure, as he stated it was a new copy. He then took out an open case, and opened a drawer and got the game out of a cardboard sleeve. Put the disc in the case and proceeded to ring up the game at new price. I asked him what he was doing, and he stated he was selling me a new game. I and asked him if the game is new, how come it was opened.
Ok now I know what you guys mean....

Yeah I went to by the Star Trek:Legacy a while back. I wanted the game really bad so after I let myself get raped on a some trade-ins, the guy went to get a copy of the game. Well the last copy was the display copy and I asked him if I would get adiscount for buying an open copy and he said no they don't alloy that. Whatever, I wanted the game and had the credit so I let him screw me one more time before I left the store.

He explained that they don't get a display case and open one copy so they have a display case on the shelf. I told him forget it and said I didn't want a used copy. He got all huffy and corrected me by stating it was a "new" copy.
Now, one thing I learned during my short stint at Best Buy, usually when a store has a model(TV, Camera, or whatever) on the floor it's not some special model sent to them for free. It's part of their overall order/shipment and they have to figure it into their profit loss when opening a box to put the item up on the floor for people to see/hear. So I can -kinda- understand why they(GS) would be asses about selling open NON-PLAYED games at full price. IIRC, games also have a small profit margin so they try to squeeze all they can from the sale. Hell even as an employee at Best Buy the discounts on games...if at all...were small.

On the other hand if they decide to allow the sale of the floor model/display item, most of the time they throw in a DISCOUNT for the item. So in this way Gamestop/Subsidaries are full of shit.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-19-07 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 09:42 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Yeah, that is what got me as well. I asked if I could return it for the price I paid if the If I changed my mind a few days later. I was told no, as the game was opened. I would get the trade in credit value, even with the receipt.
Old 02-19-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, that is what got me as well. I asked if I could return it for the price I paid if the If I changed my mind a few days later. I was told no, as the game was opened. I would get the trade in credit value, even with the receipt.

Another thing I used to see at Best Buy was when someone returned a game for whatever reason, they would have me (LP guy) open the new game the costumer was taking in the return. Why? Because you can't return open games for money or credit. Opening the box forces you into a trade only situation.
Old 02-19-07, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Between them them trying to charge $10 more than the suggested retail price for the Vanguard Collector's Edition and their practice of selling used games (if a game is open, it is used) for new prices, I don't even bother with Gamestop anymore either. I mean seriously, imagine if i were buying a game as a gift for someone, like i am going to give them an open fucking game? "Oh yeah, it's open but not because i played it or anything, that's how they sell them at the store.".
Yeah, FU Gamestop.

Last edited by Maxflier; 02-19-07 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-19-07, 09:58 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Another thing I used to see at Best Buy was when someone returned a game for whatever reason, they would have me (LP guy) open the new game the costumer was taking in the return. Why? Because you can't return open games for money or credit. Opening the box forces you into a trade only situation.
That part I have no problem with at all. If I buy a game, and it is defective and I return it to the store. You can exchange for the same title if it is decective and I assume they are going to open it for me on the spot so that I can't then return the sealed copy. If I buy a game and just don't like it, my only option is to trade it, sell it on ebay, or sell it back to GameStop/EB for credit.

My issue with GameStops opened "new" copy was that 1) he had an attitude like I slapped his grandmother in front of him when I said I didn't want the copy he was trying to sell me and I would go to another store and purchase it. 2) After 1 occured and I didn't want to purchase the game, I was curious on their sales of said game. When I asked if I did buy it and later changed my mind, within their return policy timeframe, and wanted to return the game with the receipt for my full purchase price, I was told no because the game was opened. I then asked how he could justify that he was selling me a new game if his own store wouldn't return it as new. I think I saw smoke coming from the top of his head.
Old 02-19-07, 10:00 AM

if you guys don't shop there, I don't understand the frustration
Old 02-19-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
if you guys don't shop there, I don't understand the frustration

Problem solved! We can shut this thread now.
Old 02-19-07, 10:08 AM

well, it just sounds like a bunch of hypothetical aggression. I find it LOL worthy
Old 02-19-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate being asked when I walk in the door if I have anything to trade in. What the hell is the point of that other than just flat-out harassment? If I had something, I think you'd be able to see it and I'd be walking up to the counter to transact. I always respond with "Does it LOOK like I have anything?" holding up my empty hands. Ugh. I know they're forced to do that but I feel that I need to point out how asinine it is.
Old 02-19-07, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

well, it just sounds like a bunch of hypothetical aggression. I find it LOL worthy
We're just venting.
Old 02-19-07, 10:45 AM

It used to bother me as well...

I just became friends with the manager, and basically all their standard practices went out the window entirely.

He's exchanged broken systems for brand new ones, no questions asked.

He's let me exchange games at the full retail price, the works.

If it weren't for him, I would have boycotted that place last december
Old 02-19-07, 10:47 AM

as far as the in-store soliciting, if i'm at a store that isn't ran by my friend, I will purposely ask them an un-answerable question...

Like, lets say you want a street date for a game that isn't available, you purposely ask them a question they couldn't possibly have an answer to.

example "Hey, when can I pre-order that new Fight Night (boxing) that is coming out for the Wii?"

hahah
Old 02-19-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm not even gonna post my Gamestop Sucks story because it will just make me angry again. Needless to say, all my gaming purchases goto Best Buy.
Old 02-19-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

as far as the in-store soliciting, if i'm at a store that isn't ran by my friend, I will purposely ask them an un-answerable question...

Like, lets say you want a street date for a game that isn't available, you purposely ask them a question they couldn't possibly have an answer to.

example "Hey, when can I pre-order that new Fight Night (boxing) that is coming out for the Wii?"

hahah
Good one, I am going to preorder all the VC games.
Old 02-19-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Because EB/GS is now one of the largest retailers in the industry and their influence is only going to become more pervasive in the future (read: they've had exclusive releases for some time now)?

Because they've eliminated competition by going the extra mile to defraud customers?

Because smaller stores were often the best place to find less mainstream titles or older releases for current systems, and now those stores are largely gone?

Because pre-orders are interest-free loans, and they aren't even close to guaranteed?
Old 02-19-07, 06:22 PM

I was actually ranting about this on another forum so I'll add my post from there.

An Open Letter...........

F*ck You EB Games. How in the hell does a do you call your self a video Game store not carry current video games. I went in today to trade in a few games and pick up NHL 2k7 because I had some gift cards, I normally would never go there.

Of course they raped me on the trade ins and offered me 1.00 each for a few of my games. (I'll use it as a coaster before I give it to you for a dollar so you can sell it for $20 to some unsuspecting Mom who just has to have that certain game for little Johnny). but thats another rant in and of itself.

After I get my shitty trade in value on a gift card I ask to have a copy of the game. Of course you don't have it no big deal, cause there are 2 others within a few miles. I have him call another one and they also have no game.

So being hopeful on my ride back I stopped at one other store in which they had no game Again. I politely asked what the is the deal, it can't be that popular that 3 stores are sold out. "Oh we havent had that for a while now" Well when are you getting it in? "They don't tell us they just show up".

How the f*ck do you not carry a game that has only been out for 3 months on the Next Gen systems. YOU ARE A F*CKING VIDEO GAME STORE. THAT IS ALL YOU F*CKING SELL. You have like 11 copies of some sh*thead game like Kirby's Dreamland for SNES. But no stock of current games.

They f*ck everyone by overhyping and preselling games for months, that they have no intention of actually having when you go to pick it up on the day of its release.

Do your f*cking job as a company and carry a current stock of current games.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.