Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Pro's & con's of the 3 new systems??

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Pro's & con's of the 3 new systems??

Old 02-16-07, 04:50 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Export, PA
Posts: 5,589
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
360:
Pros
- Great online community with great feature
- Comfortable controller
- Top Notch Game Selection
- Great Integration With XBOX.com - ex. Checking GamerCards Online/Messaging From Browser

Cons
- Too damn noisy
- Micro-transactions

PS3:
Pros
- Great Potential System
- Cheap Blu-Ray Player
- Easy To Find Now

Cons
- Pricey....For A Console
- Their Online Aspect Needs Tons of Work
- Controller Feels Too Cheap and Lightweight
- No Games That Are Work Anything More Than Renting
- Constant Updating ( Plugging in the controller for each updates is annoying )

Wii:
Pros
- Decent Game Pricing
- Good Creativity For Innovative Controls
- Lots of New Channel and VC Titles

Cons
- Current Titles Are Average With A Few Exceptions
- First Party Title Delays
- Friends Code System Is Annoying And We Haven't Even Gotten To The Online Games Yet
Old 02-16-07, 06:11 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
And I, actually, DID buy a PS3 to play movies on, with playing games a second priority (for now). How isn't this a 'PRO' for a system?
It's not a pro because it's an expensive addition that's unrelated to gaming, and it's being forced on the consumer. Now if Sony had done like Microsoft did, and had made an addition that could be purchased separately, then great... but to jack up the price of the system by a few hundred dollars for tech that the majority of gamers don't give a damn about is a con. Do you need any more proof than the extremely lackluster sales of the PS3 to see that it was a bad idea?

As I said previously, I buy a game system to play games on. I strongly believe that the vast majority of gamers are of the same mindset.
Old 02-16-07, 09:41 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 62,540
Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Here's why it's a 'con' in my eyes...less components to hook-up & operate, less remotes to look for, and more space for other things in my entertainment center. I have all three systems hooked up to my 61" HDTV, so I'm glad I don't have to have more wires & crap connected to it, and this also eliminates excessive wires laying behind the TV. And I, actually, DID buy a PS3 to play movies on, with playing games a second priority (for now). How isn't this a 'PRO' for a system? I LOVE the 360 for gaming, and it was my only 'in-use' DVD player until I grabbed a PS3, but I really dislike the Wii's non-DVD capabilities. I do own all three systems, and I'm not hating the Wii, but it gets the least use in my house. If you aren't playing a game on it, it's basically a paperweight. Multiple-functionality is what this gen brings with the 360 & PS3, .
Well if you see it as a con, then it is definitely a con, BUT if you have two other systems hooked up to the same tv that play DVDs then I still wouldn't consider it a con.
Old 02-17-07, 09:28 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I'd have to debate your choice of DVD capability as pros / cons. I buy a game system because I want to play games, not because I want to play DVD's. I buy a DVD Player for that. I don't buy a DVD Player because I want to play games, do I?

IMHO, the PS3 having a Blu-Ray player built in is a major negative as that's what shot the price of the system through the roof and severely hindered sales.

The closest thing to a negative for the Wii not having DVD capability should be that unlike the 360, they didn't release an optional add-on that would allow you the choice of whether or not to pay the extra $$$ to make your game console a DVD player also.

As for the Wii's internal memory, I don't see a problem with it. Since you can delete a game and then download it again for free, even if you somehow find a way to take up all that memory I don't see a problem with management.
Dude, if a console doesn't play dvds is a CON. I know people don't use consoles to watch movies, but i'll bet it's a handy feature.

Smaller memory is always a CON, no matter how you put it... If the price for bigger memory is much higher, then the price is a CON, the memory will be a PRO.
Old 02-17-07, 09:29 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 2,896
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^

The PS2 plays dvd... I'll beat people use it alot, especially college kids.
Old 02-17-07, 10:21 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ocelot
Dude, if a console doesn't play dvds is a CON. I know people don't use consoles to watch movies, but i'll bet it's a handy feature.

Smaller memory is always a CON, no matter how you put it... If the price for bigger memory is much higher, then the price is a CON, the memory will be a PRO.


"Dude," adding $200 or so onto a system price by forcing a format that the vast majority does not want is a con. Once again, look at the number of PS3's sitting on the shelf collecting dust. If we are talking overall Pro / Con of a system, then it's certainly a con. It might be a pro to a select few, but that's it.

As for memory, it all depends on what your definition of "smaller" is. There will always be something larger. As I said previously, I do not currently see a situation where you will be that hard pressed for memory with the Wii. Keep the larger games that require more download time, and then just download the other ones whenever you want to play them. And as someone else mentioned, memory isn't that expensive.
Old 02-17-07, 11:27 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
CKMorpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,047
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 02-17-07, 03:59 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Malvern, PA
Posts: 5,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's certainly a personal con for you, but its hard to list as an "objective" con as so many people could give a shit less about having DVD playback on a console.

The quality is substandard to a decent standalone player, and I don't like putting the extra wear and tear on my game consoles.

So at best I'd list it as an *'d con with the * being that it's a draw back only to people who want to play DVDs on their consoles.
If Wifi can be considered a plus, then lacking DVD playback capability can be considered a minus.
Old 02-17-07, 04:02 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldblum
If Wifi can be considered a plus, then lacking DVD playback capability can be considered a minus.
Not really. WiFi is related to online gaming capability. DVD playback has nothing to do with playing a game, which is the primary purpose of buying a gaming console.
Old 02-17-07, 04:55 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Posts: 18,009
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think we can move on from the DVD playability issue now.
Old 02-17-07, 05:58 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I think we can move on from the DVD playability issue now.

While it is getting sort of circular, it is a relevant discussion and hasn't descended to insults / threadcrapping / etc.

If we stop that discussion, I think this thread will die out
Old 02-17-07, 06:01 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dvdsteve2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Posts: 6,117
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DodgingCars
I think we can move on from the DVD playability issue now.
While I want to agree, I can't see how DVD & HD playback can be dismissed as a plus for a game system, or a perceived as a positive for the lack there of because it is a 'game' system, not a DVD player.

What about computers before DVD drives & 5.1 surround speakers? Were computers trashed because they took on more capabilities, like home theater... No.

What about cel-phones with internet capablities & cameras? Why are people buying $200 camera/internet phones instead of $20 phones that are just used to make & receive calls?

Let's face it, we want items to do more, so how is a gaming system that does 'more' considered a negative just because of cost?
Old 02-17-07, 06:03 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the 360 not having built in WiFi is a con then the Wii not having a built in Ethernet NIC is a con as well... for me its not an issue, but for someone without a wireless router it would be.
Old 02-17-07, 06:05 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000

Let's face it, we want items to do more, so how is a gaming system that does 'more' considered a negative just because of cost?
Having the capability via add ons is one thing, but its a con if there is no option for a model without it... its kind of like a DVD player in a mini van. Nice option, but not everyone wants it.
Old 02-17-07, 06:16 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Posts: 9,419
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
I think presence of DVD/HD/BD playback is a pro, or rather, a 'bonus', but their absence is not necessarily a Con...if that makes sense.
While yes, it would be nice to have one unit and fewer wires, I'd bet the vast majority of people who bought a console already have at least one if not three or four dvd players, that were either cheaper than the additional cost of adding it into a console, or that do more, better. I can see a benefit of having a combo dvd player/gaming console for a very specific subset of consumers [apartment dwellers, dorm people, people who are limited in component space] but at this point it's more of an 'extra' than a 'feature'.

Adding features for additional cost can be a negative. Where the tipping point is varies for every consumer, but for a product, the price could be raised so high that it counterbalances the attractiveness of additional features. For some of the other examples you gave, you can now get an item with lots more features for about the same price as the 'plain' one a year or two ago (cell phone, for instance.)
And while the wifi is cool, I can agree with no ethernet nic being a small con for the Wii as well. I don't have a wireless network, and wasn't looking forward to the additional 20-50$ cost to go wifi.
Old 02-17-07, 06:28 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dvdsteve2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Posts: 6,117
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtcarson
I think presence of DVD/HD/BD playback is a pro, or rather, a 'bonus', but their absence is not necessarily a Con...if that makes sense.
While yes, it would be nice to have one unit and fewer wires, I'd bet the vast majority of people who bought a console already have at least one if not three or four dvd players, that were either cheaper than the additional cost of adding it into a console, or that do more, better. I can see a benefit of having a combo dvd player/gaming console for a very specific subset of consumers [apartment dwellers, dorm people, people who are limited in component space] but at this point it's more of an 'extra' than a 'feature'.

Adding features for additional cost can be a negative. Where the tipping point is varies for every consumer, but for a product, the price could be raised so high that it counterbalances the attractiveness of additional features. For some of the other examples you gave, you can now get an item with lots more features for about the same price as the 'plain' one a year or two ago (cell phone, for instance.)
And while the wifi is cool, I can agree with no ethernet nic being a small con for the Wii as well. I don't have a wireless network, and wasn't looking forward to the additional 20-50$ cost to go wifi.
Very good points, and nicely worded.

My comment is for this sentence-

"For some of the other examples you gave, you can now get an item with lots more features for about the same price as the 'plain' one a year or two ago (cell phone, for instance.)"
When the XBox, PS2, and even the PS1 I believe hit the market, weren't they $300? I even think the old-ass Atari 2600, ColecoVision, & Sega Genesis were at least $200, and the Atari 5200 was $329. Game systems aren't THAT out of line comparing to the old systems (with inflation as a factor), and the features are way better.

I do agree that $600 is a huge amount to pay IF you have no interest in a BD player, and an add-on would've been the smarter way to go. But I, personally, am glad the BD player is included because it is one unit, and I actually wanted the PS3 for BD playback right now, even though I'm not really into any games for the PS3 at this time. I do find it hard to believe that I am defending Sony because the 360 is my favorite system, and I tried having a PS2 twice and sold them both within weeks of their purchase. In the last gen of systems, the XBox & PS2 played DVD's, so unless the exclusive games were a huge factor, either system would do. Now, the format war gets people interested in both systems because they don't do the same things (BD vs. HD-DVD).

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 02-17-07 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 06:34 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
While I want to agree, I can't see how DVD & HD playback can be dismissed as a plus for a game system, or a perceived as a positive for the lack there of because it is a 'game' system, not a DVD player.

What about computers before DVD drives & 5.1 surround speakers? Were computers trashed because they took on more capabilities, like home theater... No.

What about cel-phones with internet capablities & cameras? Why are people buying $200 camera/internet phones instead of $20 phones that are just used to make & receive calls?

Let's face it, we want items to do more, so how is a gaming system that does 'more' considered a negative just because of cost?
Because it's FORCING THE COST. Like I said, I have no problem with the 360, which gives you the *option* of adding the HD DVD capability on to your system. I would call that a plus, that the consumer has the *option* of a system that can do additional functions. I have a problem with Sony using the PS3, a gaming system, to force their Blu-Ray tech on the consumer, thus forcing the price of the unit up a few hundred dollars. Make no mistake about it, that's the only reason Sony is doing this, to force the Blu-Ray tech onto the market in order to tell the movie studios "we've put (X) number of Blu Ray players into homes, you should put your movies out exclusively on Blu Ray." I don't appreciate having to pay extra so Sony can try and win a format war that is 100% irrelevant to gaming.

As for the cameras and crap, I couldn't tell you.... because I buy a cell phone to use as a cell phone. I buy a computer to use as a computer. I buy a gaming system to use as a gaming system. I buy a DVD player to use as a DVD player.

Last edited by MovieExchange; 02-17-07 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-17-07, 07:23 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Cusm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Moore, OK
Posts: 7,734
Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Because it's FORCING THE COST. Like I said, I have no problem with the 360, which gives you the *option* of adding the HD DVD capability on to your system. I would call that a plus, that the consumer has the *option* of a system that can do additional functions. I have a problem with Sony using the PS3, a gaming system, to force their Blu-Ray tech on the consumer, thus forcing the price of the unit up a few hundred dollars. Make no mistake about it, that's the only reason Sony is doing this, to force the Blu-Ray tech onto the market in order to tell the movie studios "we've put (X) number of Blu Ray players into homes, you should put your movies out exclusively on Blu Ray." I don't appreciate having to pay extra so Sony can try and win a format war that is 100% irrelevant to gaming.

I agree with this sentiment. I do not have the HD-DVD player yet, and I do not know when or if I will add it. If I can use the HD drive to upconvert my DVDs I might add it sooner. But as others have stated I do not want to add wear to my Game console to watch DVDs - especially since I am on my 3rd 360.

I have wireless now due to our house, but I would much prefer to be wired, and if I had wired access I would hate to have an extra $$ added to the cost of the unit for something I would not use.
Old 02-17-07, 07:54 PM
  #44  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 23,701
Received 729 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
As for the cameras and crap, I couldn't tell you.... because I buy a cell phone to use as a cell phone. I buy a computer to use as a computer. I buy a gaming system to use as a gaming system. I buy a DVD player to use as a DVD player.
Different strokes, I guess.

I prefer less single use devices. I'd rather have integrated ones (if they do it well).
Old 02-17-07, 08:53 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 2,278
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I own all three.

Playtime: 360 > PS3 > Wii
Interest in 2007 lineup: 360 = PS3 > Wii

Pros: Plenty of games to play.

Cons: Have to buy all three systems to get them.

Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 02-17-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 01:40 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 20,804
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum
I own all three.

Playtime: 360 > PS3 > Wii
Interest in 2007 lineup: 360 = PS3 > Wii

Pros: Plenty of games to play.

Cons: Have to buy all three systems to get them.
OK, I call bullshit. What in the world could you possibly be playing on the PS3???

Old 02-18-07, 02:22 AM
  #47  
Premium Member
 
The Cow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Grazing in a field somewhere...
Posts: 23,701
Received 729 Likes on 480 Posts
Originally Posted by chess
OK, I call bullshit. What in the world could you possibly be playing on the PS3???
Resistance and those type of games most likely.

Last edited by The Cow; 02-18-07 at 02:24 AM.
Old 02-18-07, 11:06 AM
  #48  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Cow
I prefer less single use devices. I'd rather have integrated ones (if they do it well).
The latter part is the killer. Integrated do it all machines rare do anything as well as a good stand alone machine.

DVD playback on the PS2 and X-box was dreadful compared to even a mid tier stand alone player, the 360 HD Add on is on par with the lowest tier HD players (according to most reviews) etc. Not sure about BD playback on the PS3 as I haven't paid much attention to reviews of it.
Old 02-18-07, 11:10 AM
  #49  
Retired
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 27,449
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Goldblum
If Wifi can be considered a plus, then lacking DVD playback capability can be considered a minus.
I disagree. I don't think most people want DVD playback as most people already have a player per TV in the house, and DVD playback sucks on consoles compared to even a decent mid-tier DVD player (not to mention having to have another remote). So again, it can be a minus for the few people that still want to watch DVDs on a console, but I think its going overboard to list it as an objective con.

WiFi is useful for most as so many people have wireless networks these days and the online functions are related to gaming.

Though I do agree with the latter poster who notes that the Wiis lack of an ethernet port is a con.
Old 02-18-07, 11:51 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
dvdsteve2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Posts: 6,117
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
WiFi is useful for most as so many people have wireless networks these days and the online functions are related to gaming.
I'm not so sure wireless is all that popular in your 'average' household.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.