Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Regularly turn off game music/play-by-play?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 02-14-07, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there is a similar thread out there, apologies in advance ...

I was playing Jurassic Park on my NES the other day, and I realized I automatically take advantage of the "turn off music" option in the menu screen (very rare to have that luxury back in those days). This regular occurrence got me thinking about my feelings about piped in music and sports play-by-play commentary in games.

In titles like Hot Shots Golf Fore! on the PS2 and NES Open, I would rather play with just the sound fx without the distraction of their offering of repetitive music. Don't get me wrong, I usually love the interactive scores featured in more story-driven games (and I never tire of the looped Super Mario Bros./Zelda music of yesteryear), I'm just not that fond of stock background music, for a lack of a better term.

Also, I have never cared for play-by-play in any of the sports games (I tend to play mostly EA *ducks* NCAA games). For me, the play-by-play gets very repetitive and tends to actually take away from the realism after awhile. However, I do love using the PA announcer; they are supposed to be vanilla and I prefer to have the feel of being out on the field than receiving a broadcast-type experience (although I love pop-up stat boxes).

As for racing games, I also tend to shut down the soundtrack music for games like MX Unleashed and the Need for Speed series. I reckon that is just a matter of taste in music, though.

If you have made it this far, any thoughts/ramblings about this trivial matter?
Old 02-14-07, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
I never turn the music off but I'll often turn it down in relation to the speaking volume. Frankly I'm a bit of a soundtrack person and with the advances in Surround sound and with the lush orchestration of many games it's hard not to listen.
Old 02-14-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I frequently take advantage of the custom soundtracks i get on the 360.
Old 02-14-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was a teenager (around the SNES and PS1 era), I would frequently mute the TV and play my own music. I'd do this a lot with RPGs and racing games, as I put a lot of hours into them and the music would get repetative.

Nowadays, as music quality has increased, I usually listen to the soundtrack that's provided, as they've gotten quite good, especially with the 5.1 of next gen systems. I'll still sometimes use the custom soundtrack on racing games and the like though, as it's nice to have your own music, but still be able to hear the effects and announcer.