Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

God of War II gets 1st great review

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-07, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
A 9.7 !? That means it must be a whole 5% better than DOA Xtreme Beach Volleyball which got a 9.2 from IGN!
Holy cow, I didn't know that. Does anybody know what resolution the original God of War runs on PS3?
Old 02-13-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first one was gorgeous, and some of the puzzles were pretty well thought out, but I walked away fairly unimpressed because it was so repetitive.

Circle. Circle. Triangle. Sigh.

Still, I'm sure I'll buy GOW2 when it's a greatest hits title.
Old 02-13-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
5/5 from Gamespy:

http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-2.../763910p1.html
Old 02-13-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the first one a lot, but I will wait for the price drop.
Old 02-13-07, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
The thoughts of a rumored inclusion of a PS3 playable 720P version makes this purchase very tempting. I bought the first one and then traded it in (which I don't do very often) after finishing it. Despite it being a great game I just didn't think I would ever have the desire to revisit it.
Old 02-13-07, 06:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
720p version has already been debunked above. It will be 480p on the PS3.
Old 02-13-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heh, I can't wait for this. The original was two of the best days of gaming I've ever had.
Old 02-13-07, 10:02 PM

Wasn't the first GoW 480p on the PS2? I remember turning on progressive scan and widescreen, and being rather impressed.

Will I be able to do the same with GoW2 on the PS2?
Old 02-13-07, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chess
The first one was gorgeous, and some of the puzzles were pretty well thought out, but I walked away fairly unimpressed because it was so repetitive.

Still, I'm sure I'll buy GOW2 when it's a greatest hits title.
Same here. Enjoyed it, thought it was good, but not great. I will pick up the third at $30 or less.

This game is a month away, so I find it disturbing these sites are reviewing it already. I can't think they have an actual retail copy (which in my opinion, is the ONLY way a game should be reviewed). It feels like they are shilling for Sony early on to build hype. I have no doubt the scores would be the same if reviewed later, but why review the game a month in advance?
Old 02-13-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by outer-edge
Same here. Enjoyed it, thought it was good, but not great. I will pick up the third at $30 or less.

This game is a month away, so I find it disturbing these sites are reviewing it already. I can't think they have an actual retail copy (which in my opinion, is the ONLY way a game should be reviewed). It feels like they are shilling for Sony early on to build hype. I have no doubt the scores would be the same if reviewed later, but why review the game a month in advance?
I guess it could be because the PS2 is now a last-gen system, so they're just trying to build up the hype a bit earlier so it isn't overlooked simply because it is on an "old" console.
Old 02-14-07, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by KingSmoth
I guess it could be because the PS2 is now a last-gen system, so they're just trying to build up the hype a bit earlier so it isn't overlooked simply because it is on an "old" console.
It might be coming out for an "old" console, but we PS3 owners still need something good to play...
Old 02-14-07, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by daddydaryl
It might be coming out for an "old" console, but we PS3 owners still need something good to play...
heh
Old 02-14-07, 08:34 PM
Retired

Fuck. Was playing GoW 1 and I must have accidentally said yes when I died several times and the game asked me if I wanted to put it on easy mode. Didn't notice and saved, and a google search reveals that there's no way I can bump it back to normal since I didn't have to saves.

To far along to start over, do you miss any of the story (i.e. not get the real ending) by playing on easy? If there's no differences then I don't care as the battles were annoying me anyway, and I'm just playing for the story, atmosphere and puzzles.
Old 02-15-07, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Fuck. Was playing GoW 1 and I must have accidentally said yes when I died several times and the game asked me if I wanted to put it on easy mode. Didn't notice and saved, and a google search reveals that there's no way I can bump it back to normal since I didn't have to saves.

To far along to start over, do you miss any of the story (i.e. not get the real ending) by playing on easy? If there's no differences then I don't care as the battles were annoying me anyway, and I'm just playing for the story, atmosphere and puzzles.
As far as I'm aware, you get all of the same stuff storywise no matter what difficulty you're on. The biggest difference is probably going to be what you unlock after beating the game (some of the unlock stuff is sort of story related, but it's not crucial).
Old 02-15-07, 12:00 PM
Retired

Glad to hear that.

Still annoyed with that as it's poor design as you get used to just hitting yes to restart your game when dying over and over and don't read the screen.

Really don't want to go through on easy as the only places that had really given me trouble were a couple spots where you had to kill a bunch of guys in a certain time limit or be killed by a trap.

But I don't want to replay through 5:30 hours of the game again either.
Old 02-15-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I never noticed that either. No wonder the game I was in the middle of switched to Easy mid-way through.
Old 02-15-07, 12:37 PM
Retired

Yeah, its annoying. I just happened to notice when saving that it said "Mortal "Easy" and then googled to see how it would have changed.

Tons of results as it seems to have happened to nearly everyone at least once.
Old 02-15-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This game looks interesting. I may have to check it out since I never played the first.
Old 02-16-07, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chess

Yeah, I couldn't get through it because of that. I have the same problem with the Prince of Persia games though, so I think I'm just not into those types of action adventure games.

The boss battles (that I played) where incredible though.