Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

For those that game on Plasma TV's....

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those that game on Plasma TV's....

Looking to get a Panasonic 42"-50" plasma TV. I have been debating back and forth between plasma and dlp.

How careful of burnin do you have to be with a plasma TV playing games?

Any other issues playing video games on a plasma?

Thanks
Old 02-07-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...80p-plasma.php

Burn-in

I’ve said in the past that these Panasonic plasmas are fairly bulletproof. I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas so my plan was to play 6 straight hours of Halo 2 over Xbox Live. Well, that got nixed by the wife and her irrational need to use our home theater to watch TV and stuff. So it was on to my backup plan. I disabled the screensaver on the HTPC, put a menu up on the screen, and went to bed. A MCE screen that was mostly blue with bright white text dead center. If something was going to burn in, this was it. Six hours later, I’m up (I got to sleep in – yea!) and not a hint… not an iota of burn-in. Now, do I think you should do this? No. But I don’t think you should worry if you leave the weather channel on while you’re eating dinner either.
Old 02-07-07, 04:21 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And yet we have a member of this forum who has burn in on his brand new plasma screen. Do a search...
Old 02-07-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma that's a few months old.

Turn the brightness and contrast down. You should do that for a better picture, not just for burn-in prevention, but it's also the best thing you can do to prevent burn-in.

This is my 2nd plasma and I've never seen any sign of burn-in or image retention. I calibrated the display using Video Essentials for the best picture quality and haven't looked back.
Old 02-07-07, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Save Ferris
And yet we have a member of this forum who has burn in on his brand new plasma screen. Do a search...
Me! And it's a Panasonic. All I can say is that I wish I never got a plasma. I play my 360 on a regular TV now to avoid burn in. But maybe I just got a defective unit or something. As it is I have watched 2 episodes of 24 in High Def over the past week and can now see the little fox logo burned into the bottom right corner of the screen.
Old 02-07-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

which model?
Old 02-07-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Me! And it's a Panasonic. All I can say is that I wish I never got a plasma. I play my 360 on a regular TV now to avoid burn in. But maybe I just got a defective unit or something. As it is I have watched 2 episodes of 24 in High Def over the past week and can now see the little fox logo burned into the bottom right corner of the screen.
You need to understand that there is a difference between "image retention" and "burn in". I guarantee that at least that Fox logo is simply image retention and will go away shortly. Also, you should make sure your TV is properly calibrated to alleviate the majority of image retention issues.
Old 02-07-07, 04:39 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

ive heard people say 'you need to leave your screen on white for 100 hours (or something) to let it calibrate' but what it really does is burn your whole screen to a duller level so you dont notice burn ins. Ive heard people comparing their year old plasma to a new one and being amazed at how much dimmer it gets in just one year. But maybe just one out of a 1000 that happens to. I didnt want to risk it. Theres plenty of other technology out there that has fewwer downsides.
Old 02-07-07, 04:47 PM

I have the TH-50PX60U.

Originally Posted by flashburn
You need to understand that there is a difference between "image retention" and "burn in". I guarantee that at least that Fox logo is simply image retention and will go away shortly. Also, you should make sure your TV is properly calibrated to alleviate the majority of image retention issues.
I know the difference between the two. I still have a static image from Gears of War that has been there for months. And the guy who installed my stuff calibrated my set. And no it's not on vivid or anything that would increase that chance of burn in. Also my plasma does not have that "white wash" feature or whatever it's called that most other units have to get rid of burn in. I don't want to argue with anybody over this again. I did that in the last thread. It may just be that I have a defective unit. All I wanted to do is give the op my 2 cents.

Last edited by Eric D.; 02-07-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
I was nervous about burn-in when I finally bit the bullet and bought a 42" Vizio plasma. I can't stand the screen door effect on LCDs that large and I've already been screwed by having to buy a new $300 bulb for a DLP so it was plasma or nothing. I figured I would just use it and abuse it and if after a few weeks there were any problems I would return it. Even with all my gaming use there has been no burn-in after 5 months. There is frequent image retention which can be jarring until you grow used to seeing it but that always goes away after a few minutes. So far I'm plenty happy with the plasma.
Old 02-07-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own a Panasonic plasma and you bet your ass I will be buying another one. I use it to play all my systems and movies there is NO sign of burn in.
Old 02-07-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 42" Pansaonic Plasma which I purchased about 6 months ago. I play a fair amount of games on it and have yet to have any sort of burn-in problems. I sometimes get the image retention while watching ESPN News or other shows with a lot of static images, but it goes away after a few seconds. I could not be happier with the Panasonic plasma. The real test for me will be when the PS3 finally gets some games I really want to play! (GTA, Resident Evil, etc) and I then play video games a ton. So we'll see....but if you're worried about burn-in, don't be. It seems to be only a few scattered sets.
Old 02-07-07, 09:51 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Ive always thought the 'screen door effect' on plasmas was just as bad as LCDs at least in the <5k range

by the way most store replacement plans replace bulbs on RPTVs--I know ive tested it. But the newwer RPTVs will be using LED light bulbs with longer lives.
Old 02-07-07, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No sign of any problems w/ my 37" Sony ('05 model).
Old 02-07-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I play on a Panasonic TH-50PX50U and haven't noticed any signs of burn-in or IR.
Old 02-07-07, 11:43 PM

I've had no problems with my Samsung 42" plasma tv, and the thing is on nearly all day everday between tons of gaming, tv, and movies. I'll definitely be going with another plasma on down the road when I look to upgrade. I'd never buy a projection tv because of the horribly small viewing angle on the majority of them.
Old 02-08-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ive heard people say 'you need to leave your screen on white for 100 hours (or something) to let it calibrate' but what it really does is burn your whole screen to a duller level so you dont notice burn ins. Ive heard people comparing their year old plasma to a new one and being amazed at how much dimmer it gets in just one year. But maybe just one out of a 1000 that happens to. I didnt want to risk it. Theres plenty of other technology out there that has fewwer downsides.
With both plasma displays I've owned the brightness is down to almost the lowest setting. Even if it did get dimmer (which I didn't notice after 2 years of using my previous one), bumping the brightness up a couple of notches would still put my settings way below half of the max.
Old 02-08-07, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Have you thought about possibly going LCD? The prices are dropping like mad for some fine units that are in your size range, or close to it.
Old 02-08-07, 08:45 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

if you buy a plasma, just know that they all have written out in the warranty that they will not repair/replace any sets with 'burn in' damage.
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

no burn in or image retetention on my 3 1/2 year old Sony Plasma.
Been playing a ps2 on it.
Old 02-08-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

if there's a costco in your area, become a member and buy it through them. you can return at any time for any reason. they even have the black bezel speakerless model
Old 02-08-07, 10:26 AM
Banned

get an LCD.
Old 02-08-07, 10:31 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
if there's a costco in your area, become a member and buy it through them. you can return at any time for any reason. they even have the black bezel speakerless model
I heard costco is rethinking their exchange policy as of late last year.
Old 02-08-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've heard that was just a rumor and Costco came out and said was not true (according to hot-deals.org one day)
Old 02-08-07, 10:55 AM
mbs

Yeah, this was a debunked rumor. There is information about it in that old thread in the store forum.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.