Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PC gaming dead, for real this time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-07, 07:53 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I find it funny that a board full of people who spent $600 on a PS3 because of the supposed awesome graphics capabilities then scoff at people who would buy a $300 video card every 3 years to play games that look 100x better.

That would apply if many people here had bought PS3s. Most think it is too expensive and has shit games and haven't bought one yet. Look how few PS3 threads there are compared to 360 and Wii.

The main problem is Console gaming is getting more expensive, so they comparison doesn't fit as much as in the past when consoles had never been more than $200-300. That said $250 for the Wii is the most I've ever paid, and I have no intention of buying a console for more than that (even that was $50 too much IMO).

And I don't think PC games look anywhere near 100x better, especially with the 360 and PS3 being in HD now (which neutralizes the monitor advantage). But moot for me as I don't care about graphics and have more fun replaying Super Nintendo games than playing new games anyway.
Old 02-03-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I find it funny that a board full of people who spent $600 on a PS3 because of the supposed awesome graphics capabilities then scoff at people who would buy a $300 video card every 3 years to play games that look 100x better.
I'm kind of in the middle on this. I spent $200 on my video card which was the maximum I felt I could rationalize spending. I didn't want to turn my sliders all the way up, just high enough so the game was enjoyable and still looked pretty good. There is no way in hell I would spend $600 on a PS3 for gaming. I still consider the Xbox360 too expensive for gaming at $400.

To me the big factor is the fact that a PC I build for $800-$1000 is not only going to be very good for playing Oblivion and Half Life 2, but for every other thing I would need a PC for. You don't have all the BS restrictions for music and video you have to deal with on the Xbox360 and PS3.

I seriously considered a 360 for streaming music and video to my home theater, but after reading about all the hoops MS made you jump through I passed on it and just modified my own original Xbox into an unrestricted media center for a fraction of the cost. (not to mention a 250GB HDD that cost less than the 360s 20GB one) Also more importantly, I have no doubt my $800 PC will still be useful 5-6 years from now in some capacity. I would be shocked if an Xbox360 could last 2 years without breaking much less 5-6.

The thing I think PC gaming has for FPS and RTS is the controls. I find FPS games completely unplayable on consoles and I think the mouse and keyboard controls are the bigger advantage. DX10 will look pretty amazing, but I would side with a PC version for control and not purely graphics.
Old 02-03-07, 10:44 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
To me the big factor is the fact that a PC I build for $800-$1000 is not only going to be very good for playing Oblivion and Half Life 2, but for every other thing I would need a PC for.
I'd argue that with a $800-1000 you spent $500-700 making it a gaming PC. A $300 PC today is more than adequate for most every PC task a home user has, aside from gaming.

I disagree with the argument of a gaming PC being cheaper than a gaming console, citing that the computer can be used for a multitude of tasks.

And I'm not trying to knock PC gaming, because IMO, it's the only way to play RTSs (which I enjoy playing). And I prefer a PC for FPSs (though will still play on my 360).
Old 02-03-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mbs
I'd argue that with a $800-1000 you spent $500-700 making it a gaming PC. A $300 PC today is more than adequate for most every PC task a home user has, aside from gaming.

I disagree with the argument of a gaming PC being cheaper than a gaming console, citing that the computer can be used for a multitude of tasks.

And I'm not trying to knock PC gaming, because IMO, it's the only way to play RTSs (which I enjoy playing). And I prefer a PC for FPSs (though will still play on my 360).
I guess it depends on what tasks you use a PC for. A $300 PC is great for surfing the internet and minor tasks, but I use a lot more processor intensive tasks than just gaming and that $300 celeron isn't going to cut it for me. I get your point though that a person that only needs the $300 PC might be better off with that and the $400 Xbox360.
Old 02-03-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I guess it depends on what tasks you use a PC for. A $300 PC is great for surfing the internet and minor tasks, but I use a lot more processor intensive tasks than just gaming and that $300 celeron isn't going to cut it for me. I get your point though that a person that only needs the $300 PC might be better off with that and the $400 Xbox360.
I was going to mention the same thing. I think these days there a lot more people using the PC for various tasks that a $300 PC won't cut it, so it's tough to attribute a higher cost to gaming purposes outside of the video card, since CPU, RAM, and other components all contribute to other tasks.
Old 02-04-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's of course more precise since an analog stick can register any direction and speed vs 4-8 directions and 1 speed.

At best the WASD controls are as precise as a d-pad.

Now whether people equally skilled with both methods can get through an obstacle course is a different story, as all that precision probably isn't needed in most cases and its more a personal preference to which one can use more naturally.
Except WASD in most games essentially only controls whether you accelerate forwards or back, or left to right. The mouse control typically determines which direction you point, giving just as many directions as would an analog stick. You're hardly limited to 4 or 8 directions when playing on a PC with a keyboard/mouse.
Old 02-04-07, 01:37 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's funny this thread has come up. I am heavily considering custom building a PC just for gaming, not for general computer use.
Old 02-04-07, 02:05 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Except WASD in most games essentially only controls whether you accelerate forwards or back, or left to right. The mouse control typically determines which direction you point, giving just as many directions as would an analog stick. You're hardly limited to 4 or 8 directions when playing on a PC with a keyboard/mouse.
I suppose.

All I can say is I can't move for shit when playing an FPS on a PC and can't aim for shit when playing an FPS on a console.

Thus I steer clear of the genre for the most part.
Old 02-04-07, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
I suppose.

All I can say is I can't move for shit when playing an FPS on a PC and can't aim for shit when playing an FPS on a console.

Thus I steer clear of the genre for the most part.
I wonder why a company hasn't come out with a one handed USB controller similar to the Wii nunchuck? That would be a great option over WASD IMO.
Old 02-04-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts
I still say it all boils down to convenience and $$$$ and consoles win on both accounts. Convenience for that they are "true" plug-n-play. For the $$$ for about $500 (360) you get a all-in-one machine, a few games and in no time flat you're up and playing.

With PC's you've got software and hardware to work out and $500 sounds and feels better than $1500 minimum. Plus that $1500 pc rig today is almost obsolete within two years so besides that impressive $300 video card you've got to get a newer chip and MB. And of course lets not forget "Vista".

I will say when it comes to pure gaming in terms of graphics, options, expandability (mods of course) and controls pc gaming rules. When playing UT I felt more in control with KB & Mouse than with a hand controller.

Kenny J
Old 02-04-07, 11:43 AM
Retired

Originally Posted by Obey The D
I wonder why a company hasn't come out with a one handed USB controller similar to the Wii nunchuck? That would be a great option over WASD IMO.

Yep, I said I'd love just that a couple of times earlier in the thread.
Old 02-04-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope it doesn't die. I'm looking forward to Command & Conquer Tiberium Wars on my PC, not on the 360.
Old 02-04-07, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by K&AJones
I still say it all boils down to convenience and $$$$ and consoles win on both accounts. Convenience for that they are "true" plug-n-play. For the $$$ for about $500 (360) you get a all-in-one machine, a few games and in no time flat you're up and playing.

With PC's you've got software and hardware to work out and $500 sounds and feels better than $1500 minimum. Plus that $1500 pc rig today is almost obsolete within two years so besides that impressive $300 video card you've got to get a newer chip and MB. And of course lets not forget "Vista".

I will say when it comes to pure gaming in terms of graphics, options, expandability (mods of course) and controls pc gaming rules. When playing UT I felt more in control with KB & Mouse than with a hand controller.

Kenny J
Consoles also become obsolete. That's not unique to PCs.

I spent $200 and got a pretty good video card. Not $300.

My whole PC, including monitor, all-in-one printer/scanner/copier, new video card and new graphics card, was about $1,150, not $1,500.

I've long considered consoles to be easier, and, in that respect and because of it, better, for a long time. Maybe it's because I just got a new PC, and playing some PC games, that I'm more inclined to support it now. My last "new" console was the Dreamcast. I haven't had any interest in gaming consoles since that.

I needed a new PC, and it's good I can play games on it. I do not need a console. I didn't need it before I got the new PC, and I certainly don't need it now with my new PC.

And not forget Vista - just what about it???
Old 02-04-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about gaming on a laptop? I haven't priced laptops in many many years - can you game on one decently and not have to tracers on quick moving objects?
Old 02-04-07, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
What about gaming on a laptop? I haven't priced laptops in many many years - can you game on one decently and not have to tracers on quick moving objects?
That was probably due to the lcd screens, all lcd screens used to show this, but they have gotten a lot better. I don't notice any ghosting (as its called) on my desktop lcd (8ms response time) or my 42" lcd hdtv (8ms response time), but some people still claim to see ghosting. But of course a laptop will never have the video card/processor of a desktop for equal pricing.
Old 02-04-07, 09:38 PM

^ At the risk of repeating, what I've seen said is that laptop performance is not equal to what you get from a desktop for gaming.

I noticed in the requirements for Far Cry, it said that laptop versions of supported cards would not support all graphics options.
Old 02-05-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The main problem with laptops is the the severe limitation on the graphics cards you can have. The latest graphics cards are big, and draw a heap of power. However, in a laptop (a portable one at least), you need something that's low power consumption, and ultra compact. So even the top of the line mobility cards can't come close to the top of the line desktop cards. And that's ignoring SLI, Crossfire etc.

Having said that, a laptop does make a fantastic all in one solution (games, work, casual, ht), especially if you don't care about having the settings all the way up (I don't). I just bought a macbook pro (latest iteration - radeon x1600), and am playing Guild Wars on it no problems. And I know, if I wanted to make the leap into WOW, the pc game most people are playing these days, it would run beautifully. And of course, on all the non gaming stuff, it's fantastic.
Old 02-05-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well i'm not interested so much in the huge FPS etc. on the PC. I'm more into the RPGs, maybe check out a MMORPG - but mostly i want to upgrade my old desktop to something else for some RTS and turn based games. The new Civ and the new Medieval Total War game (i think that is the one i've been lurking a thread on - it has the Pope and religious politics playing a role in the game) are interesting me in PC stuff again.
Old 02-05-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So where do you guys get a gaming PC that isn't something like an Alienware monster? Do you buy all the parts, OS, etc. yourself and assemble it or are there midrange kits like Dell, Gateway, etc. that aren't garbage for gaming?

The reason i ask is i'm sitting on a PC i have probably had for 9 years and done hardly anything with as far as upgrading. I would love to at some point just use it for email and to hold music to stream to my 360 and buy a new PC to do some gaming on. I however, know absolutely nothing about building a system. Is it possible to get something that could run quick, play most games (i'm not concerned with bleeding edge graphics and the like - i prefer turn based strategy games and RTS on the PC) for under 800$? Or should i flatout plan on a fair amount more than that?
Hey we could build you a hippie friendly green PC! I know how in tune with the hippie scene you are.
Old 02-05-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Well i'm not interested so much in the huge FPS etc. on the PC. I'm more into the RPGs, maybe check out a MMORPG - but mostly i want to upgrade my old desktop to something else for some RTS and turn based games. The new Civ and the new Medieval Total War game (i think that is the one i've been lurking a thread on - it has the Pope and religious politics playing a role in the game) are interesting me in PC stuff again.
I posted you a link on the previous page....I just want to make sure you didnt miss it
Old 02-05-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell

Oh pc gaming I knew you well. May you rest in peace.
Unless Blizzard ever decides to dump WOW on the console, the PC will never be dead (not when you have 8 million subscribers playing a computer game)
Old 02-06-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can buy a laptop with a fairly high end graphics card. I think mine has the Nvidia 7800. Although it doesn't have the power of my desktop, my 17" laptop displays 1920x1200 Widescreen which blows away my desktop display.
Old 02-06-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JaxComet
You can buy a laptop with a fairly high end graphics card. I think mine has the Nvidia 7800. Although it doesn't have the power of my desktop, my 17" laptop displays 1920x1200 Widescreen which blows away my desktop display.
Good to hear, i will definitely look into something like that. The mobility of a laptop would be great.
Old 02-06-07, 10:02 AM

But from what I understand, the graphics card in a laptop isn't going to be as good as a comparable card in a desktop.

I don't get all the fascination with laptop anyway. I've had three desktops, and never considered getting a laptop. Not sure why I'd need one. For what, to go to the mall food court and use the wifi? Nah. I like to use my pc at home.
Old 02-06-07, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
But from what I understand, the graphics card in a laptop isn't going to be as good as a comparable card in a desktop.

I don't get all the fascination with laptop anyway. I've had three desktops, and never considered getting a laptop. Not sure why I'd need one. For what, to go to the mall food court and use the wifi? Nah. I like to use my pc at home.
No need? How about to surf / work from your couch? I have a laptop and use it every night instead of my desktop. Why sit at a desk when I can sit on my couch whilst watching tv..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.