Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you feel the need to complete your games? Why?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Do you feel the need to complete your games? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-07, 05:25 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
That's actually not true (to an extent). The achievements do hurt the online
Gears experience in that ranked games are constantly reduced to bitching
matches because player B killed an opponent that player A downed and was
going to kill with a particular weapon to get another notch towards the 100
kills with weapon so and so achievement.
That kind of sucks, but I don't do online gaming anyway so its not of any concern to me.
Old 01-17-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Brooklyn
That's actually not true (to an extent). The achievements do hurt the online
Gears experience in that ranked games are constantly reduced to bitching
matches because player B killed an opponent that player A downed and was
going to kill with a particular weapon to get another notch towards the 100
kills with weapon so and so achievement.
That is why I have always stood behind the "no achievement points in ranked matches." Those are always a chore and never fun, and it reduces the quality of the games overall. Achievements in non-ranked matches are fine since you can get in a match with friends and go after them with or against each other going after particular weapons and whatnot.
Old 01-17-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend since snes days does this. Plays alot games, only gets 10 percent and never finishes them. It drives me completely insane. I can only think of 4 games I never finished outside of the hard to control RE games for me. Those 4 were of unspeakable evil where quality just dropped so incredibly bad I couldnt finish. Its like not finishing a novel, I dont get it.
Old 01-17-07, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A game has to be incredibly tedious and frustrating for me to give up on it; I beat most games that I start. That's not to say that I beat most games that I buy—I have an enormous backlog. I also have games that I still need to finish that I will finish one day but haven't gotten around to, yet.

For example, I trudged through Star Ocean: Till the End of Time even though I began to actively despise it about 15-20 hours into it. I have not yet given up on Lunar: Dragon Song even though it's mind-numbing. To get myself through these bad games I'll take long breaks from them (sometimes weeks or even months at a time) and do other things, like read or beat good games. Right now I'm almost finished with Grandia III (B-) and I'll start Marvel: Ultimate Alliance after that. Then I might get back to Shining Force Neo (C-) or Lunar: Dragon Song (D). I don't know why I'm compelled to do it. Sometimes it annoys me.

However, once I get an ending of any kind on a game that I don't like, that's it; I'm done. No achievement points, no 100 percents. Contrast that with games that I like, where I'll do nearly everything I can (post-game dungeons, second endings) provided it doesn't seem completely pointless (cataloging monsters, finding all weapons).

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 01-17-07 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to be a completionist, trying to get 100% in games and complete all the quests, collect all the widgets. But I stopped caring about a year or two ago, I have too many games to spend time getting everything. Plus I was finding games to be too tedious, they started to feel like work, and I was constantly checking faqs to make sure I wasn't missing anything along the way. It was sucking the fun out of the game.

It really depends on the game though too, I will spend more time with games I am enjoying the challenge of, or if whole entire levels are unlocked by completing more. With Burnout Revenge I wanted to get perfect on all the races, but I didn't feel the need to get all the signature takedowns or finish the checklists. With most story games, I just beat the story mode once and don't play time trials, etc.

I thought I would be more sucked in by acheivments, but so far it hasn't changed my gaming habits. I don't feel the need to have every acheivment, and just beating games gets me more than half usually.

I have been trying to pull myself away from keeping games that I didn't enjoy, I always feel compelled to beat most games, even though sometimes I should just quit. I felt this recently with Painkiller for the PC.
Old 01-17-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like to finish the game if the game is good. If the game is not that good, I might finish it anyways if it has a story so I know how it ends.
Old 01-17-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last game I got all completionist on was Final Fantasy X. It just made it way too easy.

I don't care about 100-level post-game dungeons, all the sidequests, etc. I just want to finish games that have storyline to get the rest of the story. I'm not concerned about collecting bugs (Zelda), Battle Trophies (Star Ocean 3), ultimate weapons (FFX), monster souls (Castlevania DoS), etc.

And I think the achievement points thing is pointless too.

I just want to see the game through, beginning to end. Admittedly I have trouble doing that in recent years - not enough time any more.
Old 01-17-07, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless a game is bad, I'll finish it. However, "finishing" it means that sometime between now and when I die, I will get at least one ending on it. I play through very few games uninterrupted (i.e. without playing another game or stopping for weeks/months/years). I played entirely through the two DS Castlevania games (actually got 100% on Dawn of Sorrow, what a chore that was), Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes on Gamecube, and Batman Begins. That's about it for the past few years as far as uninterrupted games go. I've beat more in that time, but that was always a game where I left it and came back to it.
Old 01-17-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
In the past, if the game was really compelling I would but for the most part no. A few series like most of the Legacy of Kain series and so far the Halo series have made me want to see them through to the end; and although I love and respect the Resident Evil series, I've regretfully not finished any of those games.

Now with achievements(yes I'm a whore) on the 360, $60 price tags , and in an attempt to be a better gamer, I've finished...and amazingly have attempted to replay at higher difficulty... more games in the last year than in the last 10 years of gaming. Actually, the only achievements I ignore are some of the online ones. Some are just too tedious and require playing dedication and skill that I just don't have.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-17-07 at 11:51 PM.
Old 01-17-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Unfortunately I have more money to buy games than time to spend playing them, so I don't finish that many. But I hold onto them in hopes that someday I will....
Old 01-18-07, 12:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
In the past, if the game was really compelling I would but for the most part no. A few series like most of the Legacy of Kain series and so far the Halo series have made me want to see them through to the end; and although I love and respect the Resident Evil series, I've regretfully not finished any of those games.
Good call on the Legacy of Kain series. The story on those are so compelling that you have to finish once you've started.
Old 01-18-07, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I often get the feeling that I need to complete my games...but whether I do it or not is a different story. Sometimes I lose interest or sometimes I just don't have the free time to play
Old 01-18-07, 09:00 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
I used to, but stopped that early.

I buy games (mainly) to have fun. If I stop having fun, I move on to the next game. My other reason for buying games is the collecting/hoarding aspect of my personality, so I always have more games to start.

It is statisically impossible for me to finish all my games, as I have hundreds of games on a dozen systems, and I only have the free time to play a few hours a week.

I "finish" less than 2% of my games. I will competely finish GOW and Oblivion on my 360 most likely.
Old 01-18-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I want to finish as many games as possible (unless I hate the game). It is hard too, like everyone here, I buy too many games and not enough time to play them all (especially those long winded RPGs). I just finished Final Fantasy III (DS) and would like to start FF XII asap.
Old 01-18-07, 10:17 AM

lets put it this way...

I've never even played FF7
Old 01-18-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KurrptSenate
lets put it this way...

I've never even played FF7
I have tried to play FF7 twice!! Both times I got bored halfway thru disc 1. I just don't see why everyone is so enamored with this game. I do love FFX (hated FF X-2) though.
Old 01-18-07, 06:30 PM

turn based combat = super boring (IMO of course)
Old 01-20-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No way.

Games are so involved and so long these days, that I just don't have the patience nor time to beat everything I buy. To see a game through I have to be having a lot of fun and (if there is one) be gripped by the story.

I often get far in a game only to get frustrated with the ramped up difficulty that I just say to hell with it. I only have 2 races left in Burnout 3, but I doubt I'll ever finish them as they're just too frustrating. Same for Midnight Club 2. I had great fun playing that game, but you reach a certain point where the game just gets incredibly difficult.

Other games, while fun, just loose my interest. Like Prince of Persia, but then again I'm not big into action adventure games.
Old 01-21-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I used to finish everything, but have gotten away from that nasty habit. Now, it's a matter of when my internal alarm tells me it's time to move on. I couldn't care less about a game's story, so it's just a matter of how much I'm enjoying the experience if I finish a game.

RE: Achievements - I kinda like them. While I'm not invested in my Gamerscore in the least, I do like that other people can see what I've been playing if they're inclined. Also, I've seen achievements that were fun to get that I wouldn't have normally attempted.
Old 01-21-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I only have 2 races left in Burnout 3, but I doubt I'll ever finish them as they're just too frustrating.
I spent about an hour each on 2-3 different courses in that game. I think when I finished the single player mode I clocked in at about 63 hours, which is amazing for a racing game.

Coincidentally, it is also the first game that I didn't bother will all 1000 points. Fucking retarded-ass online achievements.
Old 01-22-07, 02:08 PM

Playing for fun goes without saying. What I love about games is the experience, so when I'm feeling like I'm in the game I definitely want to see it through to the end. Like most people stated though, sports and racing games don't count for me. I don't think I've ever wanted to "finish" those kind of games.

As far as achievement points if I can get them while I'm playing great, but I will not go out of my way to just for them. Multiplayer achievements can be fun to challenge yourself, but I most certainly wouldn't be an ass to someone else because of it.